• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD designing an x86 or ARM chip for a "game console" to be introduced 2016

Bedlam

No way this is a new Nintendo console. That would be a slap in the face of the fans who bought a WiiU and it wouldn't make much sense for Nintendo in general. They still have to make some money with the WiiU.

My bet is on some other company's shitty first console which will never take off.

edit: A Nintendo tablet/handheld thingy might be possible though. But not a WiiU successor.

Flappy

Banned
No way this is a new Nintendo console.

A late 2016 release of a new Nintendo home console is not far fetched.

If you think there will be any big Wii-U releases after Zelda next year, then you are in for disappointment. That will be the swan song.

Herne

My bet is on Nintendo. But 2016 seems a little bit early for a release.

...to be introduced sometime in 2016

I assume Nintendo will announce ("introduce") it at E3 2016 then go for a release in 2017, which lines up perfectly with their policy of supporting their home consoles for five years.

Or it could be the successor for the 3DS in 2016, with a higher-clocked Wii U successor coming in 2017 if they want to converge the technology between the two lines in any way.

Its not Nintendo. miyamoto just said they were still in the pre-planning stages of throwing around general ideas of what a next console could be.
Nintendo also just had a job opening for the mark cerny position. It took cerny a few years to birth out the ps4 so unless Nintendo hired someone that designed the new system on a napkin while taking a dump I'd put my money else where.

End of 2017 is still about 3 years from now.

I think Nintendo is further along then they let on. They could not have sat there all through 2013 and much of 2014 doing almost nothing.

The Wii U is a sales flop. At this point, there's almost no growth opportunity for the system.
They need a console by 2017 IMO.

If not, I see 2017 being a limbo period for the Wii U like 2011 and 2012 was for the Wii.
I just don't see them announcing a bunch of new games in 2016 to be released later in 2016/2017.

ksdixon

did amazon hire double helix for fire tv android style game development, or could this be for a new amazon games console?

Gindor

Banned
Xbox 1S or S1. first class console experience on par with iphone and galaxy phone experience <cough>.

or xbox 2.

No way this is a new Nintendo console. That would be a slap in the face of the fans who bought a WiiU and it wouldn't make much sense for Nintendo in general. They still have to make some money with the WiiU.

My bet is on some other company's shitty first console which will never take off.

edit: A Nintendo tablet/handheld thingy might be possible though. But not a WiiU successor.

Where were all those OG Xbox fans who rioted when the 360 came out in the same time frame? Or GBA fans when the DS came out in even less time? Both of those sold WAY better than the predecessors they replaced, and there are even less people to rage about the WiiU than either of those consoles. Plus all of Nintendo's key franchises (2D and 3D Mario, Zelda, Starfox, Mario Kart, Smash) will be represented by the end of next year.

I don't see why they're obligated to hold out another year for a console that won't even catch up to the Gamecube at this rate.

SpotAnime

Yeah I would say Alibaba is the strong second possibility but there are quite a few reasons to think it's Nintendo's next handheld.

On that note maybe the title should be changed to reflect that it could easily be the ARM based chip.

Great analysis. As a third choice, what about Amazon? Their AAA game titles from Clint Hocking and Kim Swift haven't been released, or announced, yet - have they? A 2016 release for both might not be out of the question. Still waiting to hear what Double Helix is working on. And the Twitch integration? That all might add up to the logical successor to Fire TV.

did amazon hire double helix for fire tv android style game development, or could this be for a new amazon games console?

Damn, beat me to it!

I don't see why they're obligated to hold out another year for a console that won't even catch up to the Gamecube at this rate.
Given the very modest gains we saw YoY during the month of November in America, and the all but cratering of their Japanese weekly sales I think it's going to be a struggle for the system to even hit 55% of the GCN's lifetime sales.

If there's any console that needs an early demise in Nintendo's history it's this one.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Okay I looked at the article to see why the OP thought they said the ARM part wouldn't relate to gaming:

So the 2016 semi-custom design wins will have parts 186 one ARM goes beyond gaming. And by the way it is a $1 billion revenue opportunity over three-year period starting sometime in 2016. So we&#8217;re excited about that too, because it takes us from a revenue standpoint beyond the two game consoles that we have with Microsoft and Sony. And then for good measure, we provide the technology for Nintendo Wii U where we earn a royalty from an overall standpoint from those companies.
So seeking alpha uses either machine transcription or someone who types very fast and does not proof reading, so we get to this sentence:

"So the 2016 semi-custom design wins will have parts 186 one ARM goes beyond gaming."

I believe that should read:

"So the 2016 semi-custom design wins will have parts one x86, one ARM, [missing word that's probably "and"] goes beyond gaming."

Or more directly:

"So the 2016 semi-custom design wins will have parts one x86, one ARM, and [the deal] goes beyond gaming."

So one of the two isn't a gaming device or at least something that isn't just a gaming device, whereas the other is a gaming device.

I'll update the title, but I wanted to check the source first.

Announced 2016 and released 2017 is a slap in the face for what would be a 5 yr old console by then? Be grateful the Wii U will be around that long as it's still floundering.

DizzyCrow

Where were all those OG Xbox fans who rioted when the 360 came out in the same time frame? Or GBA fans when the DS came out in even less time? Both of those sold WAY better than the predecessors they replaced, and there are even less people to rage about the WiiU than either of those consoles. Plus all of Nintendo's key franchises (2D and 3D Mario, Zelda, Starfox, Mario Kart, Smash) will be represented by the end of next year.

Exactly, 2017 may be too late.

Oregano

Okay I looked at the article to see why the OP thought they said the ARM part wouldn't relate to gaming:

So seeking alpha uses either machine transcription or someone who types very fast and does not proof reading, so we get to this sentence:

"So the 2016 semi-custom design wins will have parts 186 one ARM goes beyond gaming."

I believe that should read:

"So the 2016 semi-custom design wins will have parts one x86, one ARM, [missing word that's probably "and"] goes beyond gaming."

Or more directly:

"So the 2016 semi-custom design wins will have parts one x86, one ARM, and [the deal] goes beyond gaming."

So one of the two isn't a gaming device or at least something that isn't just a gaming device, whereas the other is a gaming device.

I'll update the title, but I wanted to check the source first.

The source from the hiring thread said this:
"one [design win] is x86 and [another] is ARM, and at least one will [be] beyond gaming, right...But that is about as much as you going to get out me today. From the standpoint [of being] fair to [customers], it is their product, and they launch it. They are going to announce it and then […] you will find out that it is AMD’s APU that is being used in those products."

Vinci

Danish
Reading through the quote, I'm not 100% sure that it is a game console. He seems to be using a game console as an example of the behavior he's describing but doesn't specifically state that either product is for one.

EDIT: To clarify, he says that one would be used for 'gaming' but that's a pretty broad category at this point.

EDIT #2: Or, it could be Nintendo producing a hybrid system. Personally I think they should go that route, but obviously there are others with very different opinions on the subject.

Havel

God why do game companies keep using AMD. They literally haven't done anything innovating since the Xenos GPU on the 360 10 years ago. Just cheap low power hardware these days.

pixlexic

Banned

Wii U would have been out 5 years when this thing would launch. That's normal.

God why do game companies keep using AMD. They literally haven't done anything innovating since the Xenos GPU on the 360 10 years ago. Just cheap low power hardware these days.

Because Nvidia is an absolute asshole to work with (they burned both MS and Sony in the past...and Nintendo kinda) and are the only vendor that is able to supply CPUs for an APU ?

vesvci

Banned
Could be long awaited Apple Console. The console we were all waiting for. God. LETS DO THIS AMD. Where can I type my CC number?

If this is the case, given Apples history of greed, we should expect +$60 games without any discounts, and a $800 console with minimal specs, and a nice casing.

Sadly, people would rush to buy it.

samn

If this is Nintendo then we can expect Zelda U to be the 'last hurrah' with a drought in 2016 as they work on developing games for their next machine.

Only just bought the damn thing so I hope it has a little longer life left in it than a year.

Could be long awaited Apple Console. The console we were all waiting for. God. LETS DO THIS AMD. Where can I type my CC number?

A) I'd reckon most people are not waiting for this. This would probably be terrible. I imagine a very nice looking, more expensive OUYA.

B) Why do people still think Apple has any interest in gaming?

Opt1kon_

Ouya 2: Electric Ouyaloo

Lmmfaooooo

in all seriousness I'm hoping for a new Nintendo Console but honestly it just might be them almost 5yrs on the market and the new 3DS is going to be coming out as well i'd think that Sony and Microsoft might do the same after the PS4 And XB1 get the ball rolling on Prototyping the next PS5 and XB2 for 2018 or 2020

but who am i this is all speculation from myself

Vinci

Danish
They probably won't but its just wishful thinking, they'll most likely go with with either a licensed ARM CPU, hopefully the K12.

They need to accept that they're on their own in this and create a product that will allow them to leverage their overall strength, rather than break their strength going in more than one direction at once. The latter doesn't work unless they come up with a massively innovative product, like the Wii, and they cannot depend on that sort of idea popping up consistently.

Top Bottom