• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD designing an x86 or ARM chip for a "game console" to be introduced 2016

Hedja

Makes sense if it's Nintendo since they were talking about a unified architecture. Though, that'll mean their home console will be underpowered yet again. Having the WiiU and a great backlog, I'd say it's not a bad thing but it will feel like they're holding back yet again.

Boss★Moogle;144901306 said:
Why would 2016 seem early to you OP? Nintendo pretty much said they were done with the Wii U after Zelda. It's not like they can continue to go on for years not selling hardware. Glad to see Nintendo is finally getting rid of that piece of shit Gamecube CPU they been rehashing.

huh?

Ascenion

I really wish they'd stick it out and just launch in 2018/19 with the Xbox and PlayStation sucessors home console wise. This generation behind trend has got to stop. I want the GameCube days back....just more successful.

EctoPrime

The potential of what a nextgen handheld can do is pretty amazing considering a $100 Windows tablet can run 2004 pc games like HL2 and Doom 3 on a 1024x600 screen at over 40fps on a low end Intel gpu.

B_Boss

Boy.....if it is Nintendo's next, and if it isn't successful from a financial standpoint....I guess it's safe to say that they'll be finished in the home console market :(....come on Nintendo...it's been too damned long.

Vena

Well, x86 on both the console and handheld would make it easier to have a unified platform with great software support.

Except that x86 would cripple a handheld's ability to be a handheld. ARM is a mainstream architecture due to the extensive mobile penetration and market, and most everything has easy porting or full-on support for it.

Its not even really about architecture but about what the CPU/GPU are capable of running.

Except that x86 would cripple a handheld's ability to be a handheld. ARM is a mainstream architecture due to the extensive mobile penetration and market, and most everything has easy porting or full-on support for it.

Its not even really about architecture but about what the CPU/GPU are capable of running.

Is this true any longer? Beyond supporting direct ports of
(garbage)
iphone and android games, I am pretty sure x86 has come quite a long long way to becoming more power efficient.

The only thing I'm almost sure is 2016 is Nintendo's next handheld. Of course maybe they pull a 2001 and launch both. The Wii U will be dead by the end of 2016 anyway. I'm really excited for what they will do with the next handheld.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Well, the new Atoms are competent, but I don't feel they have a notable advantage over ARM.

Intel would be their only choice though if for some random reason they decided they needed x86 in a handheld.

Vena

Is this true any longer? Beyond supporting direct ports of
(garbage)
iphone and android games, I am pretty sure x86 has come quite a long long way to becoming more power efficient.

Intel Atom is close but still not caught up. The Cortex-A9 is more efficient per performance and thats on ARMv7, and the new ARMv8a showings are ever promising in both efficiency and performance. (Intel is fighting an uphill, seemingly dead-end battle to penetrate the market (heavy subsidies to push their Atom powered tablets to try and gain dev support) with x86, and even AMD doesn't seem to actually be trying with that aspect and going into ARM development.)

There are other things to consider too like: does it give any advantage to swap from the design philosophies of ARM to x86? Their only manufacturer would be Intel who would charge an arm and a leg for whatever unit Nintendo may want developed as they have a total monopoly on that end.

Josh7289

I think it's obvious that it's Nintendo's next handheld.

I actually wonder if Nintendo might get upset with AMD given how much they've hinted at this deal for Nintendo's next handheld already. Like when Mark Papermaster of AMD said this in June:

Another area of interest for semi-custom is handheld gaming, believe it or not. “Everyone thinks it is dead, but the [Nintendo] 3DS is still selling.”

Source: http://blogs.barrons.com/techtrader...i-talk-wearables-infrastructure-server-chips/

Iwata has also essentially confirmed that their next system is in 2016. And that job posting from a couple months ago made it sound like Nintendo was looking for a mostly off-the-shelf SoC solution for their next system: http://neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=916426

The circumstantial evidence for Nintendo's next handheld being based on an ARM-powered SoC from AMD and being released in 2016 is just very strong, in my opinion.

Vena

Iwata has also essentially confirmed that their next system is in 2016. And that job posting from a couple months ago made it sound like Nintendo was looking for a mostly off-the-shelf SoC solution for their next system: http://neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=916426

They've pretty much been off-shelf for a while now, its not like Nintendo does extensive R&D. Its just a question on who the provider of the chip has been.

They'll obviously have streamlines and customizations with gaming in mind, rather than, say, building for a general mobile device.

You've had the original GameBoy, you had the GameBoy Colour and you even had a GameBoy Advance, now prepare for the GameBoy U!

I think we're ready for Nintendo to get real about naming their systems again. GameCube was a cool name, Nintendo 64 was clear and direct, Super Nintendo was obvious too.

Handheld: Nintendo GameBoy Infinity

Console: Nintendo Ultra HD Entertainment System

Vena

14nm stuff is shipping soon and seems very power efficient. Core Y is probably going to power the sp3. Not sure how their ultra low power stuff will be.

Prohibitively expensive, though, unless Intel decides that Nintendo is a good way for them to push into the mobile market from another direction and starts subsidizing every device. Right now the cheap-o build quality ASUS Memo running the Atom have heavy subsidies to make them affordable for their performance level vs. comparable ARM tablets.

$h@d0w

Probably a slim console refresh - nothing to get too excited about.

Intel is eating up the low end tablet market now, also see Nokia, Jolla.

Vena

Are they? Or perhaps my understanding of "low end" is off. Samsung and Google feel like they're pretty heavily entrenched there with their offerings.

Joezie

By eating up...do you mean hemorrhaging money like no tomorrow? Because I still have yet to hear anything positive outside of Intel mobile on the financial side, let alone having to merge Mobile and PC group just to hide the losses.

If that is still the case then it is a good thing that AMD isn't chasing the lower end market in that regard.

_Clash_

IF Nintendo. This is Nintendos handheld console guys.

Like seriously.

Wii U doom GTFO. A 2016 home console launch from Nintendo is the stuff of imagination. Handheld will come first.

Nikodemos

If that is still the case then it is a good thing that AMD isn't chasing the lower end market in that regard.
They still are, just not with x86. Their newest short-term product chart doesn't feature a refresh for their ultra-low-power (Mullins) SoC. They have decided not to spend any more money in that area until the ARM cores are ready.

Nikodemos

Theres no doubt it's the Nintendo NxT.

Fixed. :p

Though hopefully it'll have a more non-weird name.

I mean, they've put themselves in a corner with the <number>-DS label (they can't just increase by one), but the Gameboy moniker is best left to history. I suspect an unimaginative name like Portable Entertainment System (PES) or thereabouts would probably be the safest option this time around.

Nikodemos

.... and 1.5gb total system RAM.

Who needs ram Apple? Ram is for mugs.
Apple's continuous lowballing of RAM seems pretty bizzarre to me. Though I guess it helps them maintain certain controls/limitations on app developers.

Anyway, I don't believe Nintendo to be as stingy with it.

Top Bottom