• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD Polaris architecture to succeed Graphics Core Next

Adry9

Wow that's really late compared to the previous rumours, I hope we at least get some info on prices and approximately performance the next few days.

FLAguy954

If the NDA for Polaris 10 is 29 June , AMD are idiots. Sorry but not saying anything for another month while nvidia just launched their new gen is idiotic.

How is it idiotic when they aren't even aiming at the same segments initially?

EDIT: Never mind, I misread that date. AMD really are fucking idiots (why so goddamn late?).

pelican

So, do AMD actually plan on competing with the 1080?

My initial thought would have been yes, but after reading several recent posts the answer seems to be no with Polaris.

/confused.

ethomaz

Banned
So, do AMD actually plan on competing with the 1080?

My initial thought would have been yes, but after reading several recent posts the answer seems to be no with Polaris.

/confused.
AMD plan to compete with 1080 with Vega to be released next year... well the talk is that AMD is trying to rush a release late this year.

Polaris was never supposed to compete in high-end territory.

There is no confusion about that.

Come on AMD, give us some info. I've got money burning a hole in my pocket for a new mid-range GPU to upgrade my HTPC from a GTX 960 and I'd love to switch this system back to the red team. But as of now I'm leaning towards a 1070 unless you get info out about Polaris 10/11 soon. The R9 480X might just be good enough for my purposes if the price/performance is solid.

Additionally, I'm looking to upgrade my low-profile GTX 750Ti in my smaller, slim-line HTPC. So, if Polaris 11 allows powerful LP / single slot designs I'm on that like white on rice. The market definitely needs a much more powerful LP GPU to finally beat out the 750Ti... Hopefully AMD and their AIB partners understand this.

ZOONAMI

Amd is nuts to not at least release some benchmarks before June 10 if the full polaris 10 can at all keep up with a 1070.

Silence probably means it can't.

Amd is nuts to not at least release some benchmarks before June 10 if the full polaris 10 can at all keep up with a 1070.

It's just usual Amd marketing delay tactics. The longer they wait the closer we get to rumored October Vega launch date so even if Polaris turns out not so great they will switch to wait for Vega.

Full Polaris is supposed to be 40CU. Best case scenario is it'd be clocked at 1.4Ghz. It would put it on par with Fury non X. GTX1070 is supposed to be faster than Fury X. At 1.6Ghz, which I dont see happening, Full polaris would be on par with Fury X.

ZOONAMI

Full Polaris is supposed to be 40CU. Best case scenario is it'd be clocked at 1.4Ghz. It would put it on par with Fury non X. GTX1070 is supposed to be faster than Fury X. At 1.6Ghz, which I dont see happening, Full polaris would be on par with Fury X.

The leaked bench, if real from videocardz, has a Polaris chip pretty close to a fury, and that was at 1266mhz.

I'm watching AMD very closely right now, if they don't have any numbers before June 10th we know they are dead meat in 2016 on GPUs.

Zen is on deck though and may actually save the company.

Chiggs

Gold Member
More like butthurt feelings are brewing with salty Kyle Bennett.

Does come across as butt-hurt tbh as they were not invited to Macau for the press event today.

I will say it is plausible that Raja Koduri could be frustrated with mis-management, lack of funding, or both over at AMD, and that there could be some kind of divide between GPU and CPU businesses.

It makes sense - he seems ambitious and wants to compete with Nvidia but his hands are tied. Of course it could all be BS if the 480X is releasing July and is Fury X performance for $300.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
When I first heard about Polaris, I thought it was going to be exactly what I was looking for. However, with the more recent rumors, I'm really not sure. I hope we get performance details on June 1st. The GTX 1070 would be overkill for me, but I'm worried P10 is going to be a bit too much of an underperformer compared to it to be appealing to me.

Chiggs

Gold Member
Sounds exciting?

I'm guessing it's a price/performance monster @ $259.00 - $279.00. Maybe a dual GPU version?

Also, this came out yesterday:

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd-polaris-10-mainstream-gpu,31879.html#xtor=RSS-100

Good read.

AMD takes random potshots at Nvidia every year anyways (◑‿◐)

Might be nothing.

Give the event he's at, I doubt it. His "wish I could tell you more" is clearly in reference to the NDA.

I'm watching AMD very closely right now, if they don't have any numbers before June 10th we know they are dead meat in 2016 on GPUs.

Zen is on deck though and may actually save the company.

Normally I see you berating AMD mercilessly so your last few posts in here are surprisingly measured hehe.

Anyways, I don't see AMD matching the 1070 at reference levels. I do hope for a $300 card that comes close. If they land at or above Fury at reference clocks with FuryX performance available from overclocks they become very attractive to me.

More like butthurt feelings are brewing with salty Kyle Bennett.

It's only easy to dismiss Kyle if you literally don't know his long history of being a huge thorn in everyone's side and also being right.

Does come across as butt-hurt tbh as they were not invited to Macau for the press event today.

I will say it is plausible that Raja Koduri could be frustrated with mis-management, lack of funding, or both over at AMD, and that there could be some kind of divide between GPU and CPU businesses.

It makes sense - he seems ambitious and wants to compete with Nvidia but his hands are tied. Of course it could all be BS if the 480X is releasing July and is Fury X performance for $300.

AMD's acquisition of ATI was never successful in terms of meshing the two companies. This was documented in an old article on Ars Technica:
http://arstechnica.com/series/the-rise-and-fall-of-amd/

I know that Intel are desperate to find a growing market these days but acquiring a second-rate GPU company is not the ticket to that market. AMD basically suicided the company by acquiring ATI, one hopes that Intel are wiser and won't do the same.

It's only easy to dismiss Kyle if you literally don't know his long history of being a huge thorn in everyone's side and also being right.

He very well could be right but lol at this statement.

I mean, there were rumors before he said anything about the card not reaching what they were hoping for.

As for the Intel part, who knows, AMD is doing terrible everywhere but console wins where there is hardly any money.

He very well could be right but lol at this statement.

I mean, there were rumors before he said anything about the card not reaching what they were hoping for.

As for the Intel part, who knows, AMD is doing terrible everywhere but console wins where there is hardly any money.

If the rumors are true that Jim Keller descended to Earth like Silicon Jesus and designed something amazing for AMD called Zen, they might be turning their CPU business completely around very soon now. Meanwhile the remnants of ATI have been foundering for several years now, and while Nvidia has had a smooth transition to 14nm, it seems AMD has not. I actually think that selling RTG to Intel and becoming just a CPU company again could save AMD because they would have an actual product people wanted to buy in Zen and at the same time no more giant albatross around their neck from the failed ATI acquisition.

J-Rzez

Anyone see this yet?

https://mobile.twitter.com/killyourfm/status/736448736256090112

Looks like something big is coming.

Anymore, I'll believe it when I see it with AMD. Maybe they showed off the power of Vega, which won't be available to who knows when, and it'll be competitive with the 1080. Then Nvidia casually strolls out the 1080 Ti in response quickly and squash it. I feel that AMD is pretty much out of it at this point for anyone outside of people who have a cap of $200-250 GPUs. Anyone around the $300 mark should just save up a little longer for a 1070 at that point.

I'd ask for AMD to prove me wrong, but NDA until JUNE 29th? Lol. Nope.

This isn't entirely on topic, but holy crap, did AMD actually just announce a CPU that looks competitive?

What?! I did not see that coming.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
Driver support? Why would that affect driver support? Any acquisition would not end the dedicated GPU business.

Oh, perhaps I misunderstood what was being discussed. I'll edit my previous post. My apologies.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
This isn't entirely on topic, but holy crap, did AMD actually just announce a CPU that looks competitive?

"just?"

We've known about Zen for a while now, and it's been known since they announced it that it would be a big step forward for them.

Competitive probably depends on your definition, since they will very likely still be behind Intel in terms of raw performance. They should at least be close enough to be a viable alternative and undercut them (possibly substantially) on price/performance thanks to the lack of an integrated GPU.

Normally I see you berating AMD mercilessly so your last few posts in here are surprisingly measured hehe.

Well...I guess I actually see a way forward for AMD now. Ditching RTG and all that debt they took on, selling a CPU which probably isn't as good as Intel's best but actually is within the same performance galaxy, and hopefully being near the end of their awful contract with GlobalFoundries. This may be their last, best chance to survive and maybe even prosper.

Anyways, I don't see AMD matching the 1070 at reference levels. I do hope for a $300 card that comes close. If they land at or above Fury at reference clocks with FuryX performance available from overclocks they become very attractive to me.

My thinking is that Nvidia didn't pick a price out of a hat when they priced 1070 at $380. That price says to me that Nvidia is confident in 1070's performance and believe it will be worth whatever price premium it will command over Polaris 10. It's an open secret that P10's price target is $300, unless it's as under-performing as Kyle's sources say. So let's say P10 launches at $250 and is as fast as 390/X. That's a pretty huge hole in the product stack that Nvidia can and probably will drive a truck through with the 1060. Is anyone going to want 390/X performance for $250? That's the big question everyone should be asking right now.

Chiggs

Gold Member
Anymore, I'll believe it when I see it with AMD. Maybe they showed off the power of Vega, which won't be available to who knows when, and it'll be competitive with the 1080. Then Nvidia casually strolls out the 1080 Ti in response quickly and squash it. I feel that AMD is pretty much out of it at this point for anyone outside of people who have a cap of $200-250 GPUs. Anyone around the $300 mark should just save up a little longer for a 1070 at that point.

I'd ask for AMD to prove me wrong, but NDA until JUNE 29th? Lol. Nope.

You should be completely skeptical until we see actual benchmarks. AMD's track record over the last few years should not warrant insta-trust.

Still, I think you're being rather dismissive of AMD's mainstream strategy because it doesn't fit your needs?

Is anyone going to want 390/X performance for $250? That's the big question everyone should be asking right now.

And if it's more powerful than the 390x? Certainly some of the 3DMark scores that have trickled out have indicated that it is.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
And if it's more powerful than the 390x? Certainly some of the 3DMark scores that have trickled out have indicated that it is.

I thought folks were saying those were completely made up or a joke or something?

If not, a 480X roughly equal to a Fury wouldn't be bad, would depend on pricing and whether or not 1070s actually exist at $380.

Plus it was just 3D Mark score, which doesn't necessarily directly correlate with gaming performance. Depending on a variety of things in actual games it could end up coming closer to the Fury X and 980 Ti, or falling short and hitting closer to 390/X. If it's legit at all.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

"Looks" being the operative word. There was quite a bit of optimism surrounding Bulldozer, too, which ended up being a dud.

Renekton

Is anyone going to want 390/X performance for $250? That's the big question everyone should be asking right now.
There is a huge hole in the ~$250 segment currently, the same segment where 560Ti made a big splash. 960/380/380X are disappointing products that don't get gamers into the 1080/60/high promised land.

rrs

There is a huge hole in the ~$250 segment for the longest time, the same segment where 560Ti made a big splash. 960/380X are disappointing products that don't get gamers into the 1080/60/high promised land.
yeah, I had to go up to a 970 due to the 960 being too low end and AMD being more towards "replace my PSU" side of things

96iXUa8.jpg

I think the tweet where this came from was deleted, so I can't confirm a source, also there isn't any kind of performance counter so is kinda pointless, I assume that if they are showcasing free sync is not actually running at 144hz/fps, not that I expected it to either.

Chiggs

Gold Member
I thought folks were saying those were completely made up or a joke or something?

Not that I'm aware of. A lot of sites were posting them, but, hey...

Plus it was just 3D Mark score, which doesn't necessarily directly correlate with gaming performance. Depending on a variety of things in actual games it could end up coming closer to the Fury X and 980 Ti, or falling short and hitting closer to 390/X. If it's legit at all.

Unfortunately, it's all we have to go by right now. I hope Computex is leak-city, or they scratch the NDA crap.

Investors seem optimistic, however:

Wells Fargo analyst David Wong was out with a research note on shares of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.(NASDAQ:AMD), reiterating an Outperform rating with a valuation range of $4.00 to $4.50, following a number of investor meetings in Dublin, Milan, Switzerland, and London with AMD’s CEO Lisa Su and Senior Vice President Ruth Cotter.

Wong wrote, “We are impressed with AMD’s clear product and financial strategy, and expect that over the next several quarters AMD will be able to continue the market share and balance sheet progress that has become evident in recent reports […] AMD has focused its product development efforts on a number of key projects over the last two years. AMD expects to introduce its next generation GPU (graphics processing unit) 14nm Polaris family mid-2016 with revenues ramping from these products in 2H 2016. AMD expects to begin sampling its 14nm Zen server processors to selected customers in the current (June) quarter and ramp revenues from these products in 2017. In addition to its current two semi-custom products for game consoles, AMD expects revenues from its new semi-custom business to begin in 2H 2016.”

“AMD’s long-term targets include gross margin of 36-40%, operating margin of more than 10%, and free cash flow roughly equal to net income. We think these are realistic goals which the company is likely to achieve by continuing to execute on its current strategy,” the analyst added.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
my prediction based on nothing at all is:

amd's best card will be somewhere in between the 1080 and 1070 and cost $500, and the next best card is worse than the 1070. therefore, I buy the 1070.

That's extremely unlikely whether you are talking about Polaris or Vega. The top Polaris card is expected to be under $300 and could perform anywhere between the 390 and Fury X. AMD is targeting a different market segment than Nvidia is at the moment, Vega is their product that will be competitive with or better than the 1070 and 1080, but it's not launching until late this year at best (probably next year).

Gaogaogao

That's extremely unlikely whether you are talking about Polaris or Vega. The top Polaris card is expected to be under $300 and could perform anywhere between the 390 and Fury X. AMD is targeting a different market segment than Nvidia is at the moment, Vega is their product that will be competitive with or better than the 1070 and 1080, but it's not launching until late this year at best (probably next year).

: /

Top Bottom