• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD Polaris architecture to succeed Graphics Core Next

That's extremely unlikely whether you are talking about Polaris or Vega. The top Polaris card is expected to be under $300 and could perform anywhere between the 390 and Fury X. AMD is targeting a different market segment than Nvidia is at the moment, Vega is their product that will be competitive with or better than the 1070 and 1080, but it's not launching until late this year at best (probably next year).

They have a chance of getting some customers if they have a Polaris card (likely the 480X) that is around the Fury performance for $299. And when I say Fury performance I mean Fury performance in DX12 or Gameworks titles. At least matching that or over as then you're dangerously close to 390X performance and you can pick one of those up used for less.

The other likely scenario is a 480 with 390X performance for $250 or less.

Nachtmaer

I don't really notice this kind of thing, but does AMD usually launch their new cards alongside Nvidia's similar offerings?

It depends really. There is some amount of guesswork involved, but the biggest factors are whether the chips are ready enough and the foundry/process being able to ramp up volume production. There've been generations where nVidia were first and vice versa.

It seems some people found Polaris benchmarks of AotS over at Overclock.net.

Whether they're the real deal, engineering samples or pure bogus is still the question.

wachie

It depends really. There is some amount of guesswork involved, but the biggest factors are whether the chips are ready enough and the foundry/process being able to ramp up volume production. There've been generations where nVidia were first and vice versa.

It seems some people found Polaris benchmarks of AotS over at Overclock.net.

Whether they're the real deal, engineering samples or pure bogus is still the question.
Those benchmarks look promising but then again dont know if they're legit.

frontieruk

96iXUa8.jpg

I think the tweet where this came from was deleted, so I can't confirm a source, also there isn't any kind of performance counter so is kinda pointless, I assume that if they are showcasing free sync is not actually running at 144hz/fps, not that I expected it to either.
Robert Hallock said:
It's a 1080p display running at 1440p with our driver's VSR feature.

Text that went with the image

crabman

96iXUa8.jpg

I think the tweet where this came from was deleted, so I can't confirm a source, also there isn't any kind of performance counter so is kinda pointless, I assume that if they are showcasing free sync is not actually running at 144hz/fps, not that I expected it to either.

Radeon RX 480. No R9, new branding?

I think Polaris will be paper launched at E3 and the release or review Embargo is end of june. Maybe we will get some infos about Polaris at Computex.

Corpsepyre

Banned
Not sure if this is the place to ask, but is there any real difference between VSR 1440p/4K and ACTUAL 1440p/4K? If you're gaming at a higher resolution than your monitor, thanks to VSR, will it be the same, visually speaking, to actual 1440p and 4K?

tuxfool

Banned
If you're gaming at a higher resolution than your monitor, thanks to VSR, will it be the same, visually speaking, to actual 1440p and 4K?

No, not really. Those monitors will be able to represent the actual pixels involved in those resolutions.

The reason for downsampling is because games have aliasing (of all kinds) so you render at a higher resolution and then downsampling discards extra visual information. However because it starts with more visual information it interpolates the end result to more closely match the intended visual quality.

tl;dr it will look almost the same if you stand further away. It depends on the size of the screen/pixel density too.

Thraktor

Not sure if this is the place to ask, but is there any real difference between VSR 1440p/4K and ACTUAL 1440p/4K? If you're gaming at a higher resolution than your monitor, thanks to VSR, will it be the same, visually speaking, to actual 1440p and 4K?

No. A 1080p monitor only has ~2 million pixels, so it's simply not going to be able to resolve as much detail as a 1440p or 4K monitor. What supersampling/downscaling will do, however, is give you a much cleaner image than one rendered natively at your monitor's resolution. It's effectively just really good anti-aliasing (with some benefits to things like texture clarity thrown in).

Corpsepyre

Banned
No. A 1080p monitor only has ~2 million pixels, so it's simply not going to be able to resolve as much detail as a 1440p or 4K monitor. What supersampling/downscaling will do, however, is give you a much cleaner image than one rendered natively at your monitor's resolution. It's effectively just really good anti-aliasing (with some benefits to things like texture clarity thrown in).

So, something similar to SSAA then?

DSN2K

June 29th is long time away..they would be better served doing a paper launch sooner imo...at least AMD will stay in peoples minds, 1070/1080 will be in stores before we even see a slide.

SRG01

Because it is not ready?

Semi companies don't work like that. If they're planning a release around July or August, the silicon and chip packaging is 100% done. Board layout and final tests should be done at this point too.

If we assume that July/August are not paper launches, then board manufacturing should be ramping up right about now.

edit: A one to two month PR/ad campaign prior to a product launch is kind of typical too.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
June 29th is long time away..they would be better served doing a paper launch sooner imo...at least AMD will stay in peoples minds, 1070/1080 will be in stores before we even see a slide.

No idea what they will specifically cover, but we should get some information out of Computex.

http://www.amd.com/en-us/press-releases/Pages/computex-2016-2016may19.aspx

Event will feature launch of 7th Generation AMD A-Series Processors, Polaris updates and more

AMD (NASDAQ: AMD) today announced it will hold a press conference and live webcast during Computex 2016 in Taipei, Taiwan. The event will begin on Wednesday, June 1, 2016 at 10:00 AM CST / 10:00 PM EDT.

SRG01

No idea what they will specifically cover, but we should get some information out of Computex.

http://www.amd.com/en-us/press-releases/Pages/computex-2016-2016may19.aspx

I have a feeling that (edit)any Polaris related announcement at Computex will be a general announcement along with announcing vendor and OEM support. The June 29th embargo is probably for specific products and benchmarks.

I wouldn't be surprised if AMD decided to focus on Zen during Computex...

dr_rus

I'm pretty sure that 29th June NDA is for Radeon 400 lineup information, including 480 and 480X details and possibly something on Polaris 11 as well. The big question is will the cards be launched on 29th or will it be just some unveiling with benchmarks and sales starting at a later date?

Thraktor

I'm pretty sure that 29th June NDA is for Radeon 400 lineup information, including 480 and 480X details and possibly something on Polaris 11 as well. The big question is will the cards be launched on 29th or will it be just some unveiling with benchmarks and sales starting at a later date?

My guess is they unveil the cards at Computex, with a couple of carefully chosen benchmarks, and then launch from about 30th June onwards (there are likely four desktop cards plus a number of laptop parts, so I would expect a staggered launch). They may want to launch the first cards on on the 30th to squeeze it into Q2 of their financial year, which would explain an embargo on previews/reviews until the 29th.

Bluforce

When will exactly be the conference at Computex?

"Watch the Live webcast on 5/31 at 10pm EST"

A couple of hours from now?

Top Bottom