• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD Polaris architecture to succeed Graphics Core Next

tuxfool

Banned
4.0? Is AMD retconning their naming conventions or do those guys not know what they're talking about? Because I've never seen prior GCN versions being called "2.0" or "3.0."

Nope. AMD never formally designated their GCN versions. At best it has been Gen 1,2,3.

All the version stuff is used by the press and public.

onQ123

Seems like more info will come tomorrow, but geometry improvements are always nice. http://videocardz.com/58031/amd-announces-polaris-architecture-gcn-4-0

Is this real or just a mock up? if it's real then it's just like I thought it would be with offloading chips for Displaying & so on.

AMD-Polaris-GPU-Diagram.jpg

Kieli

One could just run games in 4K and have BluRay 4K. Imagine a patch for your existing PS4 games and Driveclub running in 4K o_O

I would like to see Sony and Microsoft bring updated models out every year just like Apple with their iPad and iPhones. Dream on but it would be nice.

Hoo boy... that'd be an expensive PS4.

But I welcome the idea of a SLI GTX 980Ti and Core i7-4790k in a console, lol.

AMD really needs a big winner with new architecture. They need to get out in front or get equal to nVidia to really gain ground. Maybe also implement something just like ShadowPlay and work with more companies to encourage open source game works tools (can't remember the name).

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
AMD really needs a big winner with new architecture. They need to get out in front or get equal to nVidia to really gain ground. Maybe also implement something just like ShadowPlay and work with more companies to encourage open source game works tools (can't remember the name).

At this point from my view it doesn't matter. People will still go Nvidia cause of marketing and where they've been even if AMD put out a good product that absolutely irrefutably destroyed Nvidia once in a blue moon

AMD has a shadowplay like feature that works beautifully..... And it has competitive GPUs...

diaspora

Whether AMD's products are amazing or shitty doesn't really matter as far as their success is concerned at this point. Their mindshare is so far gone now it wouldn't matter if they released the GOAT gpu of GOAT gpus.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Whether AMD's products are amazing or shitty doesn't really matter as far as their success is concerned at this point. Their mindshare is so far gone now it wouldn't matter if they released the GOAT gpu of GOAT gpus.

This is what I said before. AMD needs Nvidia to stumble, because that's the only way they are going to get out of their mindshare rut.

Of course that doesn't guarantee anything either when the competition can buy mindshare, AMD would know after Athlon 64 :p Don't think Nvidia would try or get away with that though, especially after Intel basically did.

Inuhanyou

That's quite impressive. 140w to 80w? That's significant for a process coming out this year...and in conjunction with GCN 1.4 (aka GCN 2.0 aka Polaris), just how big a jump is this going to be exactly?

Spinifex

This is what I said before. AMD needs Nvidia to stumble, because that's the only way they are going to get out of their mindshare rut.

Of course that doesn't guarantee anything either when the competition can buy mindshare, AMD would know after Athlon 64 :p Don't think Nvidia would try or get away with that though, especially after Intel basically did.

Nvidia stumble plenty, but it makes no difference, they have the best astroturfers in the industry.

Locuza

That's quite impressive. 140w to 80w? That's significant for a process coming out this year...and in conjunction with GCN 1.4 (aka GCN 2.0 aka Polaris), just how big a jump is this going to be exactly?
86W (early lab GCN Gen 4) vs. 140W (GM206).
That's probably not enough to win or be on par with Pascal.
So they have to improve further, which the slides also confirms.

But looking from GCN1-3 this is already a major leap.

Matt

One could just run games in 4K and have BluRay 4K. Imagine a patch for your existing PS4 games and Driveclub running in 4K o_O

I would like to see Sony and Microsoft bring updated models out every year just like Apple with their iPad and iPhones. Dream on but it would be nice.
No it wouldn't. It would be awful.

Inuhanyou

86W (early lab GCN Gen 4) vs. 140W (GM206).
That's probably not enough to win or be on par with Pascal.
So they have to improve further, which the slides also confirms.

But looking from GCN1-3 this is already a major leap.

That's what i'm saying, like...your saying Pascal is better than this and AMD is gonna improve, but Polaris already looks way better than what we have right now to begin with in terms of efficiency

onQ123

No it wouldn't. It would be awful.

For Gamers & Devs but what about the Multimedia consumers?

I know MS would love for Xbox One to become the type of product that people would buy for their mom or dad like the smaller Multimedia boxes.

Matt

For Gamers & Devs but what about the Multimedia consumers?

I know MS would love for Xbox One to become the type of product that people would buy for their mom or dad like the smaller Multimedia boxes.
...and that could only happen if they were refreshed every year?

hesido

bnpIu5Y.jpg

Source

Next Gen Console GPU is in AMD's bag.

I hope AMD doesn't go down until then. Also, if AMD is still around, Nvidia probably won't even be interested in the deal.

jfoul

AMD will be on a smaller node compared to Nvidia, at least for the flagship cards (Samsung 14nm vs TSMC 16nm). It's going to be interesting to see how these new cards perform.

Exciting!

Inuhanyou

bnpIu5Y.jpg

Source

I hope AMD doesn't go down until then. Also, if AMD is still around, Nvidia probably won't even be interested in the deal.

Zen CPU cores + whatever crazy GPU is around in 2019 is gonna be a treat

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
bnpIu5Y.jpg

Source

I think AMD is pushing really hard to be recognised as a great semi-custom player and the console contracts are a good way to prove that. They know what went right and what went wrong with their current APU's and I hope they do get to iterate for next consoles :)!

Locuza

Looking at the new slides and the promoted new features, I feel uncomfortable not seeing "new" at the Rasterizer and Backend and no mentions about Conservative Rasterization or similar.
AMD you don't going to release a new GPU Generation without DX12 FL12.1 support do you?

Kezen

Banned
Even entry level Polaris should be significantly faster than any console, that's good news for PC gaming.

Looking at the new slides and the promoted new features, I feel uncomfortable not seeing "new" at the Rasterizer and Backend and no mentions about Conservative Rasterization or similar.
AMD you don't going to release a new GPU Generation without DX12 FL12.1 support do you?

AFAIK Fiji had some misbalance between the front- and backend. Judging from the slides, does it look like they fixed it?

Inuhanyou

Even entry level Polaris should be significantly faster than any console, that's good news for PC gaming.

They already are for the most part. But its good news for next gen consoles as well to have PC components pull far ahead quickly, with more with emphasis on power efficiency too.

Arkanius

It's very probable actually.
I also expect Pascal to have the same problems as Maxwell.

I don't expect full DX12 compliance until the next uArch for both companies.

Eh. AMD is 16nm FinFET for GPU. 14nm is their CPU node size.
GF is 14nm while TSMC is 16nm

I THINK Zen is 14 nm because it is only going to be produced at Global Foundries and maybe Samsung while a dGPU if produced at TSMC would be 16nm.

AMD is second sourcing at Samsung so I expect high end dGPUs, Zen and APU (Zen + Arctic Islands + HBM2) to be produced at both Global Foundries and Samsung. AMD can't chance a supply issue with a foundry dropping the ball.

It's also possible that Apple will be using a next generation AMD APU in their iMACs rather than a Intel smaller APU and a dGPU. An article I read was convinced that Apple would be using a larger Intel APU and doing away with the AMD dGPU. From what I can gather AMD's APU will be higher performance and cheaper than Intel's APU so the roles will be reversed and this doesn't rely on consumer mind share but on engineers choosing the best product.

Notice the next generation APU has specs to support UHD blu-ray, IPTV and Skype same as the XB1 (confirmed) and I think the PS4. This falls in line with the statements that the game consoles would be equal to mid range PCs for the next 5 years or so. I.E. a mid range PC wouldn't be able to support 4K gaming but all other consumer facing features would be supported. PS4 would drop form 120-140 watts to about 86 watts but all other features would remain the same. Enables incredible form factors with I think smaller GPUs in tablets and STBs.

bnpIu5Y.jpg

Locuza

AFAIK Fiji had some misbalance between the front- and backend. Judging from the slides, does it look like they fixed it?
Fiji don't really have a imbalance between the Front- and Backend.
Both are designed for a throughput of 64 pixels per clock.
I think you could better say, Front- and Backend are underpowered for the massive shader-array Fiji offers.

And no, the slides doesn't tell us anything in this recard.
We don't know how AMD is going to balance the chips.

bnpIu5Y.jpg

Source

you do realize this is comparing amds new architecture against maxwell right? while i expect amds architecture to remain better suited to modern workloads compared to pascal, this comparison isnt very meaningful

Locuza

It's very probable actually.
I also expect Pascal to have the same problems as Maxwell.

I don't expect full DX12 compliance until the next uArch for both companies.
Intel got already full DX12 compliance with Gen9.
Maxwell released 2014 and got 12.1 support.
For AMD releasing 2016 new GPUs without at least 12.1 support would be very disappointing for me.

Is Skylake 14nm?
Yes and AMD will be on the same node for the first time in years because the Intel 10nm node was delayed. Same node, almost the same CPU performance, greater GPU performance than Intel and cheaper. That's why I think they may have won the Apple contract for the iMAC.

Locuza

Yes and AMD will be on the same node for the first time in years because the Intel 10nm node was delayed. Same node, almost the same CPU performance, greater GPU performance than Intel and cheaper. That's why I think they may have won the Apple contract for the iMAC.
They are not really on the same node.
Intel should be denser and I would also guess more power efficient.
But in comparison it's a mind boggling step forward for AMD vs. 28nm we have right now.

Nachtmaer

They are not really on the same node.
Intel should be denser and I would also guess more power efficient.
But in comparison it's a mind boggling step forward for AMD vs. 28nm we have right now.

Yeah, I wouldn't go that far either. Process nodes might be similar in name, but that's about it.
hS6nFZp.jpg

I'm not sure how relevant this still is as it doesn't have LPP on it.

They're equal in name only. Intel's process node is purpose-built for their CPUs, while Samsung's 14 nm nodes are mostly for low power SoCs. According to some more knowledgeable people this means AMD could have serious problems reaching high clock speeds with their CPUs using Samsung's prcess node. In any case it'll be interesting to see how things work out.

It's nice to see AMD making serious updates to GCN. If the rumors are true that Pascal is mostly a minor update and aimed more towards getting back compute capabilities, AMD could really stand to finally get a win in the PC gaming space and not just consoles.

jfoul

Eh. AMD is 16nm FinFET for GPU. 14nm is their CPU node size.

Damn, thought for sure the flagship was going to be on 14nm. Has this info changed recently?

It has been confirmed that Samsung will be AMD's foundry partner for its next generation GPUs. It has been reported that AMD's upcoming "Arctic Islands" family of GPUs could be built on the 14 nanometer FinFET LPP (low-power Plus) process. AMD's rival NVIDIA, meanwhile, is building its next-gen "Pascal" GPU family on 16 nanometer FinFET node, likely at its traditional foundry partner TSMC.

It gets better - not only will Samsung manufacture AMD's next-gen GPUs, but also its upcoming "Zen" family of CPUs, at least a portion of it. AMD is looking to distribute manufacturing loads between two foundries, Samsung and GlobalFoundries, perhaps to ensure that foundry-level teething trouble doesn't throw its product launch cycle off the rails.

EDIT: Also mentioned again here on the 3rd.

The fourth generation of AMD Graphics CoreNext GPU architecture has been reportedly codenamed "Polaris" by the company. It makes its debut later this year in the company's "Arctic Islands" GPUs, built on Samsung's 14 nm FinFET node.

Locuza

The only official thing is, that AMD confirmed to have tape-out some designs at Global Foundries.
No more, no less.

This whole Samsung/TSMC/GloFo thingy, who is what producing is simply speculation at this point.
I personally wouldn't hold my breath for Samsung at all.

Razgreez

Were GloFlo and Samsung not collaborating in terms of 14nm design and fabrication in order to speed up TTM so that they would not be left behind by Intel and TSMC? I recall reading as much last year some time

Top Bottom