• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD R9 390X and R9 380X 20nm Pirate Islands Info Leaked (9x faster than GDDR5)

DieH@rd

Banned
Hopefully 3xx will out before Witcher 3. That will be time when I will upgrade my GPU.

[but I wont say no to pricedrop to GTX970 in stores around me]

Tommy DJ

So... three or four months?
Given their release schedules which aren't paired anymore, that's the normal thing.

How sure are you that Pirate Islands' secret sauce is really that good or is actually being used in the cards? I don't doubt that it's beneficial but judging by the quality of most tech rumours, I'm not going to put a lot of faith in any rumour. Especially from wffctech.

The problem with this Maxwell launch is not that NVIDIA cards push out better FPS (that's normal) but rather they're actually better in literally every single way while being a relatively small die. If the 960 is released soon enough with a good enough price point, AMD's entire R9 range is deep sixed. The last time this ever happened was with AMD's HD5000 series and NVIDIA salvaged it with their reputation of having better drivers and the GTX460 - AMD lacks any form of serious brand loyalty or ecosystem that NVIDIA may have.

DieH@rd

Banned
I really hope that AMD will stop their focus on double precision processing. They need to follow nVidia and create hips that are fully gaming-oriented, which will reduce perf/watt and reduce transistor count.

Would this work as a main ram too for apu?

Most likely yes, and would give big boost to APU processing.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
People taking wffctech seriously? Lol.

It's also weird to compare Maxwell with AMDs current cards, AMD hasn't released a new architecture in over two and a half years. I certainly hope Maxwell blows it out of the water, same node or otherwise.

DieH@rd

Banned

It's also weird to compare Maxwell with AMDs current cards, AMD hasn't released a new architecture in over two and a half years. I certainly hope Maxwell blows it out of the water, same node or otherwise.

Stacked memory is coming in early 2015, there is nothing fake in that. Plus they are lining to the presentation slides, so existence of this article [and thread] is justified.

dr_rus

The article reads that AMD will have a full year of HBM over Nvidia GDDR5... that is going to be very very nice for AMD.

Nvidia has said that they'll use stacked RAM / HBM on their GPUs a couple of years ago - starting with Volta. Which means that it's been more than two years since they've started working on this too and it's very unlikely that AMD will have a big lead here. I expect them to launch Pascal on 16nm in about a year or a year and a half.

diaspora

Nvidia has said that they'll use stacked RAM / HBM on their GPUs a couple of years ago - starting with Volta. Which means that it's been more than two years since they've started working on this too and it's very unlikely that AMD will have a big lead here. I expect them to launch Pascal on 16nm in about a year or a year and a half.
So, Q1 2016? Slow down there.

stryke

Stacked memory is coming in early 2015, there is nothing fake in that. Plus they are lining to the presentation slides, so existence of this article [and thread] is justified.

I'm not on my computer anymore but I don't recall any mention of AMD gpus in the presentation.

It seems like wccft is trying to connect two dots on their own. They keep saying "allegedly" but both of the articles sourced don't mention HBM (albeit with Google translate)

Again, I did read it very quickly so I might have missed something.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
are any of the current high end cards bandwidth constrained by such a degree that this would provide a significant boost?

Marlenus

They certainly need to do something, since Maxwell has wiped the floor with AMDs upper range cards in value, efficiency and pure power terms. With the 960 just around the corner most likely, their low-mid range might be under threat too.

So does Tonga vs Tahiti. That was achieved through improved compression allowing greater usage of available bandwidth. Just look at the pixel fill numbers, they have scaled with bandwidth for a long time but with Tonga and Maxwell that totally changed.

Perhaps not now but in the future, especially if you're playing at 1440p/4K.

Not nearly in such a significant manner though.
More bandwidth will mainly improve certain GPGPU applications. Or maybe they could reduce cache sizes/complexity and with the gained space put more compute units on it instead. But I don't see how it could be a real game changer.

We are only talking about GPU Physx which require CUDA. Other tech in the game (tessellation, HBAO+, Hairworks) will work on AMD hardware.
Not necessarily. The fur in Witcher 3,could run on AMD cards, but it is up to Nvidia to allow them too.

We are only talking about GPU Physx which require CUDA. Other tech in the game (tessellation, HBAO+, Hairworks) will work on AMD hardware.

The biggest advantage Nvidia has imo is the AA techniques, DSR and NVinspector. I don't see the point in having a high-end GPU if you can't get decent image quality.

Unless AMD comes up with better AA solutions, I'm gonna stick with Nvidia.

Momentary

Banned
Bought a 970 3 days ago. I regret nothing!!

And you shouldn't. This site is a bunch of fakers. No matter how many times you try to tell people they always link to this site. How many reputable sites are reporting on this without linking back to WCCFTech? How many times does this article use "allegedly?"

I can't count how many times these guys were "first to report leaks."

When has wccftech ever been right about "leaks" in the past??

They always create clickbait articles like this with numbers out of their ass.

Sentenza

The whole rumor reads for the most part like wishful thinking from fans fantasizing of AMD "retaliation".

KungFucius

King Snowflake
Hmm, one might say this is interestingly timed given the 970 buzz out there.

Certainly this would be interesting though, if AMD can really deliver stacked memory so soon, and so far ahead of nVidia. Lots of 'allegedlys' in there though, so not sure whether to rev the hype engines or not.

It's not nVidia or AMD that are delivering it, it's their memory partners. both nVidia and AMD are now just design companies, they don't make shit. The only plus to this is that they can point the finger elsewhere when some tech slips.

rambis

Banned
Title should probably mention that its using HBM cause it didnt make too much sense otherwise.

In case you're wondering, Nvidia has its finger in HBM pies too. Afaik HBM is a memory standard, and AMD would here be working one one specific implementation of it, rather than "inventing it" as the OP's article seems to be making out. Someone might correct me if I'm wrong there.

Like, next year. This is thought to be a Q1 2015.

Its JEDEC. It looks like the standard is being developed by AMD and Hynix so yeah. Its worth noting that AMD, the company prior to the merger is largely responsible for the creation of the GDDR standard, so this isnt really shocking. Well other than the fact that this new standard isnt "GDDR6".

It's not nVidia or AMD that are delivering it, it's their memory partners. both nVidia and AMD are now just design companies, they don't make shit. The only plus to this is that they can point the finger elsewhere when some tech slips.
AMD has always had a hand in memory standards, as recently as GDDR5.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
1GB for first generation cards, so when this comes out will it be split memory pools with 1GB of stacked ram and then 3GB or so of GDDR5? Will this act like a massive edram equivalent?

Wonder how it will be driven by devs. I assume for compatibility reasons the AMD drivers will have to manage the memory itself so it is transparent to devs.

kabel

1GB for first generation cards, so when this comes out will it be split memory pools with 1GB of stacked ram and then 3GB or so of GDDR5? Will this act like a massive edram equivalent?

Wonder how it will be driven by devs. I assume for compatibility reasons the AMD drivers will have to manage the memory itself so it is transparent to devs.

1GB per Chip!

GDDR5 Chips only have like 256MB and 512MB.

pestul

Why? They are already the market leader. As a PC gamer interested in tech and decent pricing, it would be better if AMD trumped Nvidia again for a change.

I'm now thinking the same.

This isn't a rumor from a reputable site. Even if it was, you're never going to be satisfied if you keep holding off for 4+ month periods because of the rumblings of a new card that may or may not be awesome. Upgrade when you need to, because the next big thing is always just around the corner. If you end up with a sub-optimal upgrade because it turns out that you would have got better value if you'd waited longer, then just shrug your shoulders and hope for better luck next time. Nobody is prescient and the only time it's really recommended to wait is when we know that a new card is very close.

AmyS

If this is true, it's fantastic news.

With AMD set to have PC GPUs with HBM in 2015, well before Nvidia's Pascal in 2016, one would think AMD's semi-custom group should definitely be able to design APU solutions using HBM for their customers: Nintendo, Microsoft and Sony for the next round of consoles in the later part of this decade.

Right?

AMD will be first to market with HBM for a while, and I doubt Pascal will launch next year either. They'll just release big maxwell to compete with the 390X.

Top Bottom