• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD R9 390X and R9 380X 20nm Pirate Islands Info Leaked (9x faster than GDDR5)

At which point, it would saturate the PCI express bus.
I'm not sure I buy that this is gonna be used in the 390 and 380 gpus. One, AMD would have announced it by now if they made such a big breakthrough. Two, AMD would probably be focused on integrating this with their HSA APUs as PCI express would be a gigantic bottleneck since transferring the memory from system RAM to VRAM would be drastically slow.

An AMD apu with HBM would have it on die so it wouldn't be bottlenecked.

Locuza

I'm pretty sure it wouldn't.
(It depends of course about which TPD-Class we are talking and which timeframe)

dr_rus

AMD will be first to market with HBM for a while, and I doubt Pascal will launch next year either. They'll just release big maxwell to compete with the 390X.
Of course they will. Because Nv will just sit and do nothing with an industry-made tech available to anyone. Also they didn't announce Volta with stacked DRAM almost two years ago and there is no Pascal which is basically Maxwell with stacked DRAM coming next year.

The way things are going currently "big" Maxwell will release half a year earlier than AMD will have any kind of answer to a "small" one. And no, they won't have a year+ lead with HBM chips. This just makes no sense from any point of view.

Herne

Can't wait for this, the end of next year will be the time I'm due for a gpu upgrade anyway, up from my 7970. Awesome stuff, I hope there's plenty of memory coupled with a good price.

belmonkey

Is HBM really a big deal for dedicated GPUs (as opposed to something like APUs, which have low bandwidth)? What kind of impact would all the extra bandwidth offer?

I've been nvidia for the last 2 years (running SLI 670's)... But, truth be told, I've got a soft spot for AMD. Still remember my dad building a K7 after his Pentium Pro.

Edit: oh yeah, and my previous dual R6950s treated me well aside from the occasional microstuttering when I really pushed them.

artist

Banned
No this news make me happy that my 970 order was not shipped due to shortages....I may just wait now and get the new AMD cards when they ship....good to see PC top end being moved on enough (hopefully) to think about upgrading, my 7870 has been a superb card till now.
This is still some ways out, dont fret over the future.

Miguel81

If AMD become competitive in the gpu market in the coming months, I'll stick with Team Red for an upgrade. If not..... hello nVidia, "Love your drivers btw".

What nonsense is this. PCIEx isn't used as you think it's used.

It is if you want to do anything remotely interesting with compute where you are using both the cpu and gpu to run calculations in parallel balancing the workload between the two. Yea, you can use all the extra VRAM to have ultra-high res textures but you'll still have issues like fill-rate, number of shader operations, and rops to deal with

DarkFlow

Banned
No this news make me happy that my 970 order was not shipped due to shortages....I may just wait now and get the new AMD cards when they ship....good to see PC top end being moved on enough (hopefully) to think about upgrading, my 7870 has been a superb card till now.
You're going to be waiting awhile.

Kieli

Why is this being announced via a leak.

AMD needs to have a press conference to steal the thunder away from nVIDIA (well, as much as they can with powerpoint slides).

What the fuck is their PR department doing?

Damerman

Sony and MS done goofed for not going with high end cards... Unless of course PS4 and xbox one have like a 3-4 year life cycle. It would make perfect sense considering Sony went for x86 architecture most likely for backwards compatibility.

Sony and MS done goofed for not going with high end cards... Unless of course PS5 and xbox next have like a 3-4 year life cycle. It would make perfect sense considering Sony went for x86 architecture most likely for backwards compatibility.

They're never going to do that again, so don't get your hopes up too much. The size, heat, and economics are all wrong.

Why is this being announced via a leak.

AMD needs to have a press conference to steal the thunder away from nVIDIA (well, as much as they can with powerpoint slides).

What the fuck is their PR department doing?

the slides mention nothing about AMDs plans for 390 and 380

The HBM slides are real. The 390x and 380x rumors are questionable.

Damerman

They're never going to do that again, so don't get your hopes up too much. The size, heat, and economics are all wrong.

I mean, Maxwell's fans don't even turn on, even for games that aren't that demanding... and the TDP of a PS4 in total is 240v and the 970 doesn't go beyond 145...

Sony must have struck a deal with Nvidia as soon as they heard of maxwells capabilities.

DarkFlow

Banned
hope you're not being biased just because you bought 900 series.

I own a 780, and before that a 6870. I don't see what card I own has to do with anything. This is not coming out anytime soon, and "waiting" for the next GPU is always dumb. I remember people saying the 880 was "Just around the corner" back in Dec. That would have been a long ass wait if you listened.

Herne

Sony and MS done goofed for not going with high end cards... Unless of course PS4 and xbox one have like a 3-4 year life cycle. It would make perfect sense considering Sony went for x86 architecture most likely for backwards compatibility.

More like there was no other real choice - there's a reason Microsoft and Sony chose the same chip.

iavi

AMD needs this out sooner than later.

If it's scheduled for Q1, I might actually cancel my going green and stay with my 7950 for a little while longer.

This is looking like the next real GPU jump.

Daviii

Guys, I'm no PC (for gaming) user but let me share my humble opinion.

I read an Anandtech 970 review yesterday and basically it destroys AMD in price performance ratio.

This sounds nice, but at this stage it is just damage control. Or this is exactly how I perceive it.

iavi

Guys, I'm no PC (for gaming) user but let me share my humble opinion.

I read an Anandtech 970 review yesterday and basically it destroys AMD in price performance ratio.

This sounds nice, but at this stage it is just damage control. Or this is exactly how I perceive it.

This wouldn't be damage control. If released with the performance increases rumored at sensible prices, it'd be good ol' fashion competition.

Slashing prices on the 290x etc is damage control

Reg

Banned
I mean, Maxwell's fans don't even turn on, even for games that aren't that demanding... and the TDP of a PS4 in total is 240v and the 970 doesn't go beyond 145...

Sony must have struck a deal with Nvidia as soon as they heard of maxwells capabilities.

I duno about volts, but the ps4 only uses around 140watts.

AMD needs this out sooner than later.

If it's scheduled for Q1, I might actually cancel my going green and stay with my 7950 for a little while longer.

This is looking like the next real GPU jump.

Not a reliable site. Rumour is unlikely to be true and the timetable it requires on HBM is not what we're expecting.

Regardless, neither AMD nor Nvidia is ever going to give you a gargantuan increase over last round of cards anyway. Even if it's incredible in this one dimension, it's not going to be incredible in all of the other important metrics. It's getting harder and harder for GPU manufacturers to crank out big increases, which is why you haven't been seeing them for years.

iavi

Not a reliable site. Rumour is unlikely to be true and the timetable it requires on HBM is not what we're expecting.

Regardless, neither AMD nor Nvidia is ever going to give you a gargantuan increase over last round of cards anyway. Even if it's incredible in this one dimension, it's not going to be incredible in all of the other important metrics. It's getting harder and harder for GPU manufacturers to crank out big increases, which is why you haven't been seeing them for years.

Party crashed

thuway

Agreed. If anything, I expect this tech to be delayed. Stacked RAM has been a "thing" for years now, but no one has put this into theory and production outside of the testing labs.

Hynix has already said they're shipping HBM right now. It is available. You can go to their website, download their graphics memory catalogue and go to the HBM section and it'll say "available now".

Leb

wccftech has also mentioned that AMD's Sea of Tranquility fabrication plant will be coming online in the near future and that AMD is confident that it won't encounter any serious yield issues with their new 7 nm process.

I hope for their sake and ours that they're very aggressive in leveraging this advantage. I'm not convinced it's going to allow them to really crush the Nvidia range though - the Maxwell cards actually have less memory bandwidth than their predecessors yet perform better... and use less power... on the same process node.

it's the awesome color compression tech they're using. And of course they've done some awesome things with other parts of the chip. They've even done stuff to their transistors that they're not revealing.

Of course they will. Because Nv will just sit and do nothing with an industry-made tech available to anyone. Also they didn't announce Volta with stacked DRAM almost two years ago and there is no Pascal which is basically Maxwell with stacked DRAM coming next year.

The way things are going currently "big" Maxwell will release half a year earlier than AMD will have any kind of answer to a "small" one. And no, they won't have a year+ lead with HBM chips. This just makes no sense from any point of view.

I don't think you realize that HBM is a technology that was developed exclusively by AMD and Hynix. The same way GDDR5 was developed by AMD. They were also first to market with it. NVIDIA was betting on HMC but they dropped out of that and will probably adopt HBM. Rumors are pointing to Fiji dropping to answer the 980, the 390X will be an answer to big Maxwell. NVIDIA would have no way to counter a 4224 stream processor equipped Bermuda XTX core with 8gb of HBM. Pascal would have to be released to compete with it.

saucylion

Was going to upgrade my Radeon 7850 to a GTX 970 but considering Shadow of Mordor is surprisingly running fine on high settings and all that's left to get this year is undemanding games (Civilization Beyond Earth and Borderlands the pre-sequel), it looks like I'll have time to wait and see how these cards turn out.

So I've been reading this presentation linked on the first page.

Am I really reading this right that you'd need a 4096 (!) bit bus (128 bits per channel, 8 channels per stack, 4 stacks per card) to reach 512 - 1024 GB/s bandwidth when GDDR5 reaches 336 GB/s with 384 bits? Isn't a memory bus that wide going to a pretty huge hindrance in design?

Hynix has already said they're shipping HBM right now. It is available. You can go to their website, download their graphics memory catalogue and go to the HBM section and it'll say "available now".

It's said that since July. There are no commercial products using it, nor any announced. If you look at this reporting on the leaked slideshow, it mentions the same tech specs, but doesn't include the corresponding rumours that it's going to show up on Fiji in the first couple of months of next year.

It's theoretically possible, but I am not putting stock in wccftech unless we get independent confirmation.

It's said that since July. There are no commercial products using it, nor any announced. If you look at this reporting on the leaked slideshow, it mentions the same tech specs, but doesn't include the corresponding rumours that it's going to show up on Fiji in the first couple of months of next year.

It's theoretically possible, but I am not putting stock in wccftech unless we get independent confirmation.

The leaked slide says that 21 design-ins are in progress, one of those could be the 380X.

The leaked slide says that 21 design-ins are in progress, one of those could be the 380X.

One of those could be the 490x, or Big Maxwell, or Pascal too. Nobody is really doubting that it's the next thing after GDDR5 at this point since both main card makers are on-board with it. Just that we don't know the timetable of actual products.

Top Bottom