• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD R9 390X and R9 380X 20nm Pirate Islands Info Leaked (9x faster than GDDR5)

Serandur

The rumor about HBM on Pirate Islands has been floating around for a while, this is not the first time I've heard it. Will be interesting if true, certainly.

rambis

Banned
Its not really a rumor that AMD is developing this standard, they announced the partnership with Hynix almost a year ago.

Whats up for debate is whether HBM is commercial ready.

Glad to see that AMD are going to have an advantage over Nvidia in the foreseeable future.

The 970 and (probably) 960 are going to be drinking AMD's milkshake until then.

post-37726-0-68203100-1409245487.gif

I'm in.
Lol my same thought.

Sounds like amazing magic

Grief.exe

Sounds like AMD has some huge plans in the works.
20nm should be huge for them, but increasing the memory speed on top of that will give them a huge advantage over the 900 series.

Irobot82

Sounds like AMD has some huge plans in the works.
20nm should be huge for them, but increasing the memory speed on top of that will give them a huge advantage over the 900 series.

Which is why I believe the R300's is really facing against Nvidias 1000 series or whatever they call it. They'll move Maxwell to 20nm, maybe with the full GM200 chip. Nvidia just pulled a smart move and managed to push out a 10% gain on 28nm that also reduced power. Q1 2015 we'll see the big guns come out for both companies. In the meantime team green will be bringing in the cash with their success of the 900's.

kharma45

Which is why I believe the R300's is really facing against Nvidias 1000 series or whatever they call it. They'll move Maxwell to 20nm, maybe with the full GM200 chip. Nvidia just pulled a smart move and managed to push out a 10% gain on 28nm that also reduced power. Q1 2015 we'll see the big guns come out for both companies. In the meantime team green will be bringing in the cash with their success of the 900's.

There are rumours that Nvidia won't be going 20nm and instead are looking at 16nm.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Why? They are already the market leader. As a PC gamer interested in tech and decent pricing, it would be better if AMD trumped Nvidia again for a change.

I think you misread my post. If NVidia's new architecture didn't massively outperform AMD's two and a half year old one, would that not be incredibly disappointing?

Irobot82

There are rumours that Nvidia won't be going 20nm and instead are looking at 16nm.

Correct, I understand both want to move to 16nm finfet as quickly as possible. I read an article yesterday that said ARM is already producing 64 bit chips with TMSC but that it would be some time before the process is mature enough for an something like a GPU chip. I would believe perhaps end of 2015 beginning of 2016 so I don't think Nvidia has a choice but to follow suit into 20nm. I think that this will be 1 generation node. Instead of the two like we saw with 28nm.

I bet someone's seen a prototype that just uses whatever highend cooling solution the engineers had available.
assuming the rumour isn't completely made up
A €400 card shouldn't be so complicated to install and a single chip card shouldn't actually need that much cooling

How would a closed loop cooler be hard to install? The 295X2 was extremely simple to install, more so than a CPU cooler.

How would a closed loop cooler be hard to install? The 295X2 was extremely simple to install, more so than a CPU cooler.

It's at a price point that someone might walk into a store and buy one, only to find out they can't fit it inside their Dell case or whatever. I'm not AMDs marketing team, they know their target audience and markets better than me so maybe this isn't a problem at all. Maybe it's a gimmick to make the card sell better. Personally I'd pick a smaller card

thuway

If they can get this to work with Standard PCI Express, they've won. Nvidia has been going around talking up their "NV Link" bullshit. AMD, if they can get their driver's shit together, should be able to offer some super compelling stuff going forward.

Durante

If they can get this to work with Standard PCI Express, they've won. Nvidia has been going around talking up their "NV Link" bullshit. AMD, if they can get their driver's shit together, should be able to offer some super compelling stuff going forward.
I really don't see what you are talking about. This is a memory type. NVlink is an interconnect (and one primarily designed for HPC at that). These are entirely orthogonal.

I really don't see what you are talking about. This is a memory type. NVlink is an interconnect (and one primarily designed for HPC at that). These are entirely orthogonal.

Orthogonal is one of my favorite english "relation" words. Just throwing that out there.

The article reads that AMD will have a full year of HBM over Nvidia GDDR5... that is going to be very very nice for AMD.

This would be nice... if video game devs actually immediately released games in that one year period that took advantage of HBM. But how likely is that to happen?

I mean hell, there are still tons of games nowadays that don't/can't even take advantage of 64 bit CPUs. And how long ago did those come out?

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Man, just love this shit to death. Within a year we'll supposedly be having 9 times GDDR5 bandwidths and smaller process nodes in combination with new architectures....the jump between all that shit is gonna be massive.

That 200gb/s card is now at the very least 800gb/s....hell even 400gb/s would be crazy to me, that' by itself is still higher than 99% of all cards out on the consumer market to start with

x3sphere

This is why you don't rush out and buy overpriced Nvidia when it is announced.

Erm what. If you need a GPU now, there's really no better deal than the 970. A lot can happen in six months but that's a long time to wait. Always something better around the corner anyway.

McHuj

Where does 9x faster come from?

My 970 has 224 GB/s bandwidth. 256 GB/s is not 5x that.

It's per device/chip. They're comparing a 7.0Gbps GDDR5 chip (28 GB/sec total) to 1 HMB device that's going at 128-256 GB/sec. A GPU would have several of these allowing it to reach ~1TB/sec in BW.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
First generation of HBM is only 4.5x. It's 1GB/s I don't know where you're getting 256 GB/s. 2nd gen is 2 GB/s.

"Only". Jesus christ dude, isn't this a bit of a big deal concerning actual bandwidths after so many years of inching upward?

Locuza

Where does 9x faster come from?

My 970 has 224 GB/s bandwidth. 256 GB/s is not 5x that.
The 1st Generation of HBM should have 4 GB and 128 GB/s per Stack. (4Hi)
Since you connect four of them, you end up with 512 GB/s.

I think 4 GB are too small, so maybe AMD will made a custom solution based on HBM.

The 2nd Generation of HBM is much more flexible.
The bandwidth per stack doubles and you can scale up to 8 stacks.
Also the capacity goes up.

So 8Hi is maybe 8x256 GB/s = 2048 GB/s and 64 GB.
But the second generation is of course far away.

It's per device/chip. They're comparing a 7.0Gbps GDDR5 chip (28 GB/sec total) to 1 HMB device that's going at 128-256 GB/sec. A GPU would have several of these allowing it to reach ~1TB/sec in BW.

1 TB a second? Jesus Christ... that's gotta be enough to achieve photorealism.

At which point, it would saturate the PCI express bus.
I'm not sure I buy that this is gonna be used in the 390 and 380 gpus. One, AMD would have announced it by now if they made such a big breakthrough. Two, AMD would probably be focused on integrating this with their HSA APUs as PCI express would be a gigantic bottleneck since transferring the memory from system RAM to VRAM would be drastically slow.

Locuza

I think it's pretty fair to assume that 512 GB/s is the target.
The interessting point will be, how much GB Fiji has to offer?

Intels Knights Landing will come with an MCDRAM solution (custom HMC) with 512 GB/s and 16 GB space.

I'm not sure I buy that this is gonna be used in the 390 and 380 gpus. One, AMD would have announced it by now if they made such a big breakthrough. Two, AMD would probably be focused on integrating this with their HSA APUs as PCI express would be a gigantic bottleneck since transferring the memory from system RAM to VRAM would be drastically slow.

This sits directly on the cards in place of GDDR5 VRAM. The GPU doesn't have to go through PCIe to access these.

HowZatOZ

Banned
It will definitely be an interesting future between the two tech giants, but right now Nvidia is gaining a ton in income thanks to the 900 series. That is definitely being fed directly back into their RnD, and I think we may see this success help leverage their future tech by pushing it out far quicker.

McHuj

PCI Express bus is already saturated as compared to a modern high end GPU. It's only 32GB/sec (PCI 3.0, I think).

McHuj

I think it's pretty fair to assume that 512 GB/s is the target.
The interessting point will be, how much GB Fiji has to offer?

Intels Knights Landing will come with an MCDRAM solution (custom HMC) with 512 GB/s and 16 GB space.

Probably right. If there first HBM's are expected to be 1GB and 128 GB/sec, a very high end GPU with 4 of them would be a good bet for the first attempt. It will probably be expensive as fuck at first, but if the stuff works as advertised, I think prices will plummet.

So he says, “There’s enough processing power on every laptop on the planet today”, when AMD's best mobile CPUs are literally as slow as intel's i3 mobile parts.

Absurd.

AMD isn't really betting on better single threaded performance, their apu's are great, plus Mantle and HSA.

What nonsense is this. PCIEx isn't used as you think it's used.

Top Bottom