• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD Radeon Fury X Series | HBM, Small Form Factor And Water Cooling | June 16th

FLAguy954

Doesn't look good, typical of AMD gcn headroom. Which mean an aggressive overclock 980ti will win, and it comes with 6gb vram.

But that is with absolutely no voltage tweaks whatsoever. Unless the 980 Ti 'aggressively' overclocks at stock voltage?

x3sphere

But that is with absolutely no voltage tweaks whatsoever. Unless the 980 Ti 'aggressively' overclocks at stock voltage?

It sure does, I can hit around 1400 MHz boost (sustained) on stock volts with my 980 Ti. That's a 30% increase over stock.

Many of the non-ref 980 Tis will boost to like 1300 MHz out of the box even

mkenyon

Banned
Doesn't look good, typical of AMD gcn headroom. Which mean an aggressive overclock 980ti will win, and it comes with 6gb vram.
Come on man, it's someone just playing around with the card. Don't draw conclusions from one line and some pictures :p

Does the Fury X really run at like 40C on load? Why in the world wouldn't they raise the clocks in that scenario?

Because it's not just temperature. It's calculus involving frequency, voltage and heat. More voltage, higher frequency. Higher frequency, more heat.

You can't just keep overvolting and cooling it forever though. Overvolting causes electromigration to accelerate and reduces the service life of the part. See Sudden Northwood Death Syndrome.

Irobot82

It sure does, I can hit around 1400 MHz boost (sustained) on stock volts with my 980 Ti. That's a 30% increase over stock.

Many of the non-ref 980 Tis will boost to like 1300 MHz out of the box even

What's the temp on that 980ti 1400Mhz @ 4k Ultra on Mordrr? Looking at that very mild OC on AMD it's at 49C. Quit being silly.

matmanx1

Maxwell based cards tend to have great OC headroom but with a corresponding increase in the amount of heat they put out (and fan noise, to a smaller degree). If the Fury X can be close in terms of raw speed while being much cooler and quieter (and smaller!) then that is still fairly impressive for the price that they are asking.

The Titan X and 980 Ti are big, hot and noisey cards compared to the Fury X from the info we know. Aesthetically the Fury X looks nicer too. If it does 'only' match both in performance, AMD's card has a lot going for it.

AMD are also in the noteworthy position of having a flagship product that makes Nvidias equivalents appear slightly technologically backwards. They haven't been in this position for a long while.

This is how I imagine myself tomorrow after clicking the "Buy/Confirm Order" button :D

"Best F!cking Card I ever Had..."
main_bg.jpg

jfoul

This is how I imagine myself tomorrow after clicking the "Buy/Confirm Order" button :D

"Best F!cking Card I ever Had..."
main_bg.jpg

I'm probably going to wait until the AIB Fury releases to make my decision. Batman AK releasing as a giant turd makes the wait a little more bearable.

Devildoll

ehhhhhhhhhhh

Maybe not, link me?

I just checked a random review, only overclocked it 8.5% on the core, could be an outlier though.

i'm a bit rusty, but if i recall correctly, the 970's can reach just below 1500 MHz on the core, if thats what we're talking about, whilst 290Xs usually dont go above 1200 MHz.
What that translates into for game performance is another question though.

But i'd wager that the 290X and therefore 390X is going to be the thirstier card.

ZOONAMI

Seriously? In no way did he even say he was pushing the card. In fact he said "slight OC." Don't draw conclusions from nothing.

tenchir

Because it's not just temperature. It's calculus involving frequency, voltage and heat. More voltage, higher frequency. Higher frequency, more heat.

You can't just keep overvolting and cooling it forever though. Overvolting causes electromigration to accelerate and reduces the service life of the part. See Sudden Northwood Death Syndrome.

Not just that, it requires more power. They release this card with the expectation of peaking at 275Ws. Increasing frequency further will limit their range of customers more because you now have to buy a more powerful PSU.

Not just that, it requires more power. They release this card with the expectation of peaking at 275Ws. Increasing frequency further will limit their range of customers more because you now have to buy a more powerful PSU.

If you're buying a $649 card you probably have the money for a decent PSU. My G1 came with dual 8 pins which is 375W peak draw.

tarheel91

Damn, that 295 X2 is killing it. Can anyone explain what are the benefits of getting a Titan X vs a 295 x2? I know one is a single card vs double, but Titan X is like $400 more expensive, I don't get it.

As others have mentioned, there are a bunch of trade offs when it comes to dual GPU. One thing I will say is get used to waiting a week after release day for a crossfire/SLI profile. It's just not a priority for the company making the game or for AMD/Nvidia. If you're like me though and you have such a crazy backlog you don't really care about playing games day 1, that's probably a non-factor. Plus, you can always just run without a specific profile. It'll be better than one card but not as efficient as a custom profile for the game.

One positive thing is that, by and large, if a game isn't big enough to have multi-GPU support, you probably don't need it anyways. There have been very few situations where I've wanted multi-GPU support and not had it. They still exist though, and that can be frustrating. Planetside 2, for instance, has very poor multi-GPU support.

Another drawback is that Mantle games frequently don't support Crossfire + Mantle. Battlefield 4 is much smoother on the CPU (avoiding those 33+ ms frame times) side with Mantle, but then you lose out on the extra graphical power. Finally, there is some delay associated with multi-GPU rendering which can be disadvantageous in twitch shooters or competitive gaming in general.

Frame time variance used to be a much bigger deal but seems to be better controlled now.

Radec

Who's in the market for a high end video card without a poweful PSU already or planning to have one anyway?

ZOONAMI

People with itx builds that have built in psu evga hadron 500w, or are limited by max available 600w Silverstone sff psu.

Admittedly, it's a very small market.

pj

Banned
Any ideas on when it will go on sale?

The embargo is up at 8am EST it sounds like, so will they be available around then or what?

Kevyt

Gameworks is a disaster in my opinion. Kills performance in AMD cards mostly because it's NVIDIA's proprietary code.

Not to mention shady tactics by the green team to bring down performance on the red team...

Any ideas on when it will go on sale?

The embargo is up at 8am EST it sounds like, so will they be available around then or what?

Yeah, according to OverclockersUK, they go up for sale when the embargo lifts, which is 1pm if you are in the UK. Stock apparently limited.

Kronik

Banned
Gameworks is a disaster in my opinion. Kills performance in AMD cards mostly because it's NVIDIA's proprietary code.

Not to mention shady tactics by the green team to bring down performance on the red team...

Not just on the red team but on their older cards as well. See Witcher 3 and Kepler.

LilJoka

Does the Fury X really run at like 40C on load? Why in the world wouldn't they raise the clocks in that scenario?

Temps are not the sole limiting factor. Not all the chips are equally competent so for yield the clocks must be optimised. Then the architecture of the GPU effects the maximum clock speeds too along with multiple other factors such as transistor design, component layout, VRMs, power etc.

Just because it runs cool does not mean massive OC headroom.

You're getting nervous aren't you.

About what? I was playing Batman: Arkham Knight in 4K with all settings maxed and all Gameworks On with my Sony 65" 4K TV over the HDMI 2.0 connector on my 980 Ti. AMD cards don't even get 2 of the 4 Gameworks settings enabled in that game.

Furthermore AMD didn't even offer me the option of buying their card anyways because they refused to support HDMI 2.0. It doesn't matter what the reviews say, I am locked out of Fury X ownership because of this decision.

The reality is I just like reading videocard reviews and that's entirely separate from any purchasing decisions I would make. Which in this case isn't even a decision, because I game on a 4K TV which only has HDMI connectors it was Nvidia or nothing for me.

Gritesh

About what? I was playing Batman: Arkham Knight in 4K with all settings maxed and all Gameworks on on my Sony 65" 4K TV over the HDMI 2.0 connector on my 980 Ti. AMD cards don't even get 2 of the 4 Gameworks settings enabled in that game.

Furthermore AMD didn't even offer me the option of buying their card to because they refused to support HDMI 2.0. It doesn't matter what the reviews say, I am locked out of Fury X ownership because of this decision.

The reality is I just like reading videocard reviews and that's entirely separate from any purchasing decisions I would make. Which in this case isn't even a decision, because I game on a 4K TV which only has HDMI connectors it was Nvidia or nothing for me.

How did you get it to run smoothly at 4k resolution on a 980ti I thought everyone was having issues with this game right now even on 980s

Durante

The review I trust most is the Computerbase one, and they usually adhere strictly to the NDA. So that will be what, noon tomorrow? I'll be out until the evening so I guess everything will be up by then.

pj

Banned
The review I trust most is the Computerbase one, and they usually adhere strictly to the NDA. So that will be what, noon tomorrow? I'll be out until the evening so I guess everything will be up by then.

Noon UTC, which is 8AM eastern

About what? I was playing Batman: Arkham Knight in 4K with all settings maxed and all Gameworks On with my Sony 65" 4K TV over the HDMI 2.0 connector on my 980 Ti. AMD cards don't even get 2 of the 4 Gameworks settings enabled in that game.

Furthermore AMD didn't even offer me the option of buying their card anyways because they refused to support HDMI 2.0. It doesn't matter what the reviews say, I am locked out of Fury X ownership because of this decision.

Lol I'm joking. Good for you. I personally hope the Fury X is an overclocking beast so it blows some fire under Nvidia's arse and keeps the GPU market competitive.

I already know it offers very similar performance to the Ti/Titan X, now the important thing is the OC potential.

I read somewhere, completely forgot where, but it made some sense out of the overclocking situation. Apparently AMD set the voltage of the Fury X to the absolute lowest stable (in order to reduce power draw), which is why it doesn't overclock so well at stock voltage. A slight voltage bump should do wonders for overclocking if that is indeed the case.

Top Bottom