• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amiibo Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

jax

Banned
Have they even updated Smash 3DS to be compatible with amiibo yet? They probably want the amiibo to be a Wii U exclusive thing for the holidays to help push Wii U consoles. Then when the New 3DS releases worldwide, update Smash 3DS to support amiibo I would think.
You would think they have Amiibo support on launch day! Oh well.

Luke_Wal

I don't even have a Wii U or a 3DS, and I'm going to see if I can find a Wii Fit Trainer tomorrow when I go to pick up my copy of Far Cry 4. That's just the right amount of dumb for me to display.

Blues1990

755c3d91c2bfc980e49498590a9f0573.gif

I like the villager. :3

He's very cute, no?

Amazon does that crap all the time. Watch your new Amiibo be shipped exactly same and possibly messed up as well.
My personal favorite is when I order two items from Amazon, they get shipped separately, and one comes with terrible packaging and the other is bundled like a baby. Consistency is not a word in the vocabulary of Amazon's shipping department.

Thoraxes

You know your Link and Marth are the best I've seen, I think.

I ended up looking through the ones they had on display and choose the ones I thought looked the best. Marth I got lucky on though. He was only one of two Target had. I'll probably pick up more soon too. I really like these things.

Boogiepop

Welp, I'm crazy/all in now. Ordered the other 6 I didn't grab in person today since I'm really impressed/happy with them, half from Toys R Us and half from Best Buy, both websites with shipping. Hopefully I get a decent Marth...

Giolon

I got a Samus, Link, and a Mario. I think for the size, I'm pretty satisfied with the quality. They look like the characters well enough from a distance, and when I've got them sitting on a shelf while not using them they're going to look fine.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Grabbed Link, Marth, Fox, and Samus.

I'm really taken by the Fox, really sharp detailing. My Marth looks better than most pics, too. Looks particularly nice with his body squared to the front and his head to the side in profile, although he looks kind of weird displayed that way. Logo on the back of the cape's really well-done, too.

Link is the only one I'm rather disappointed by, his eyes seemed a bit close together on all the ones I flipped through and his head is angled down too much, he's barely peeking over the shield unlike the concept art where his head seems much more at attention and even with the viewer than cocked down. Unless you really put him up on a high shelf and look up towards him, he's got a kind of broody look to him with his hair mostly overhanging his eyes and natural shadow obscuring his face.

Samus is cool but she looks a little underwhelming considering she's displayed right near a Samus Figma on an adjacent shelf. Probably an unfair juxtaposition, haha. She seemed to have a bit of a lean in all the figures I pawed through, which seems strange because in all the pics I seem to see everywhere else, she's seems much more centered and balanced.

Grabbed Link, Marth, Fox, and Samus.

I'm really taken by the Fox, really sharp detailing. My Marth looks better than most pics, too. Looks particularly nice with his body squared to the front and his head to the side in profile, although he looks kind of weird displayed that way. Logo on the back of the cape's really well-done, too.

Link is the only one I'm rather disappointed by, his eyes seemed a bit close together on all the ones I flipped through and his head is angled down too much, he's barely peeking over the shield unlike the concept art where his head seems much more at attention and even with the viewer than cocked down. Unless you really put him up on a high shelf and look up towards him, he's got kind of broody look to him with his hair mostly overhanging his eyes and natural shadow obscuring his face.

Yeah I got link and you cant place him anywhere low cause you never see his face.

Just got back from my local Wal Mart and god damn, why didn't I take a picture? The Amiibos were sitting on the bottom rack of the display. Literally on the bottom metal grate. They didn't even bother putting up hangers. Boxes of Amiibos, basically on the floor. They had 2 derp faced Marths, 3 Villagers, 3/4 Wii Fit Trainers and a Link.

-_-

My Wal Mart is shit.

PusherT

I pre-ordered a Donkey Kong and Wii Fit trainer. Wii fit trainer didn't ship to my BB got a Kirby Amiibo today. I also preordered a Princess Zelda (wave 2) amiibo.

Kirby Amiibo is so cute and the DK is good to.

Balb

Basically all the hefty characters look fine. It's the more intricate characters like Marth, Peach and Link that are problematic. Hopefully this problem gets solved in future waves for characters like Sheik and Ike.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
I noticed on the little amiibo placard Nintendo supplied above the shelf space, that they had a group collage of a bunch of character renders... A handful of Smash headliners were present, nothing unexpected there, but lurking on the outskirts was Tom Nook.

Wonder if there's a line of AC amiibos in the works to accompany AC Wii U? I could see New Leaf's success emboldening Nintendo to treat it like a real headline IP. I'm not particularly interested in the Villager amiibo (what's the point if it doesn't resemble *my* villager in AC?), but I'd buy the stuffing out of Tom Nook, KK Slider, Isabelle, Blathers, and Cooper & Booker ones.

I picked up my DK and Link amiibo that I pre-ordered a few hours ago. The only other ones they had left were Peach and Mario, about 2 of each. The cashier told me they're pretty much sold out. This was at GameStop; I may drive down to Toys R Us tomorrow and take advantage of the 3 for $30 deal.

iphys

on the nintendo amiibo unboxing on youtube they said it was shadowing.

Near the back of his cap I had noticed that and hadn't really thought about it, but that probably makes sense. Had noticed his overalls are a lighter blue on the front like the fireball is lighting them up. Also, wondering if it's normal to have some white on the front of the fireball: I'm guessing it's to make it look like his glove is partially showing through the fire, but it looks sort of weird when you view the fireball from the side and see that opaque white stuff on there?

Clefargle

Got my Samus Amiibo at BB today along with my 3rd and 4th gold coins. (Feels good) The quality is nice and I like it a lot. There were quite a few Amiibos left, maybe it was just that store. Seems like they are selling decently well from the reports in this thread.

Mine haven't even shipped yet. :/

It's not like I need them immediately, I don't even have a Wii U yet, but I did pre-order them as soon as I could so I hope they are sent out soon.

stupei

My best buy had a ton but the game stop next to it had only 2 donkey kongs left....but at that best buy no marths no wii fit traniers or villagers I really wanted the villager. This is in Chicago as well.

Guy at the Best Buy I went to in NYC, really busy one, said they didn't receive any WFT or Villager yet and only started the day with one Marth.

They had a decent amount of most of the rest, but were almost out of Link when I went there around lunchtime. Got a Link and Fox for myself.

I picked up a Kirby because that was the only one that looked just like the promo shots. Dong looked close but the eyes were off, but I will probably get that next when I find one with perfect eyes.

Looking at the full roster, I see myself going broke due to amiibo:
Here are my 12 must haves, no matter if the face is derpy:
-Bowser
-Mr. Game & Watch
-Toon Link
-King Dedede
-Meta Knight
-Duck Hunt Dog
-ROB
-Ness
-Captain Falcon
-Olimar
-Pac Man
-Mega Man

3 Maybes:
-Falco
-Diddy Kong
-Rosalina

NFreak

Best Buy I went to had no Wii Fit Trainers, Villagers, or Marths either. I pre-ordered them for in-store pick up so I still got them but they didn't have any others. I got the last Kirby at my store too.

Donkey Kong definitely seems like one of the better Amiibos from the ones I've bought in my opinion. Got a good amount of weight to him and the detail is there. Don't have too many complaints about the others I've gotten though with the exception of WFT's cast.

on the nintendo amiibo unboxing on youtube they said it was shadowing.

Thanks. I figured -- it actually catches the light nicely and does make a cool shading effect.

Also, I'll give a +1 to Amazon here. Ordered Mario, Fox, Link, and Samus from them. All arrived in perfect condition, no problems at all.

From what I've seen They definitely stocked a bunch of the bigger characters, like Mario, Donkey Kong, Pikachu and Link. The rest seem kind of hard to find, Wii Fit Trainer, Villager, and Marth were gone immediately from what I saw.

That Toys R US 3 for $30 deal...

I ended up with Peach, Kirby, and Fox.

I will get any Legend of Zelda related ones because I secretly
fear/hope
that Majora's Mask 3D has some sort of amiibo functionality.

Seik

Banned
Here's my Link. Gonna try to get some better pictures of the three tomorrow with some natural light.

46HSSuJ.jpg

It looks really good for a 13$ figurine, imo.

I wanted to grab Samus at a Eb Games while I bought the game, because all the Link figs. were sold out, but they seemed...wrong. As if they were bent on the side a bit, so I didn't take any chances.

It looks really good for a 13$ figurine, imo.

I wanted to grab Samus at a Eb Games while I bought the game, because all the Link figs. were sold out, but they seemed...wrong. As if they were bent on the side a bit, so I didn't take any chances.

I went through a dozen or so at Toys R Us this afternoon. Found the one with uncrossed eyes and unbent blade. Did the same with Fox and Samus. Found the ones with the "smallest margin of error". It's a bummer that the quality varies so widely. But then again, toys :)

fmpanda

Question for fellow Amiibo owners, have you had an Amiibo just not connect with the WiiU NFC? I picked up a Kirby and a Link and Link works just fine, but Kirby, not all all.

SalvaPot

Apparently the Amiibo sale on Toys R Us is up until tomorrow, I'm incredibly tempted to go again and try my luck at getting more Marth and Link to sell at my store (I live in Tijuana, Mexico). They are selling them online too but I can't wait until december... at worst I may have to buy at gamestop.

Didn't think I would ever buy any of these, bought Link this morning and Samus this evening. Samus just looks so good! And Link...well...I just wanted the Spinner in Hyrule Warriors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom