• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amiibo Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

zeioIIDX

Guess there's one good thing about living in Podunk, MS: things usually don't go out of stock around here. I went to Target and the amiibo section was fully stocked with about 5 of every single character except Donkey Kong which had 1 left. Grabbed a Villager and Samus.

I was able to walk in and pick up a copy of Smash at Walmart at midnight as well, they had like 12 sitting behind the glass. Only one other dude was there for Smash. Meanwhile, the local GameStop had tons of cars in the parking lot and a line outside the store lmao.

Boogiepop

My Best Buy had everything but Marth, Wii Fit Trainer, Villager, and Pikachu. Got everything but Kirby and Peach as a sampler, and I'm actually really satisfied, outside of the lameness of Fox's scanner thing being a solid color instead of transparent, despite the darn stands using transparent plastic! I'm thinking I may go all in for Wave 1 after all, and then since Wave 3 looks great and Wave 2 is small they may have hooked me into picking them all up, at least for now...

It looks like on Best Buy's website Marth and Pikachu are only available for in store pick-up, and Marth isn't anywhere near me. Is he likely to become available in any way, or am I going to have to bite the bullet and use a different retailer where I don't get the GCU discount. Also, Villager is weirdly still on preorder.

Edit: My Best Buy was well stocked in the figures they had, but that's probably because nobody there had bothered to pull them out of the area off to the side and behind the registers which is out of view just yet.

Bryko

Got Marth today, the face is a little wonky but it's so small in person that it's hardly noticeable to me. The part that does bother me is the flaccid sword.

Ingame, though, they're pretty cool. Leveled it up to 35 and I'm already having a tough time beating it.

Sora_N

how much are people reselling these for?

If Marth is the rarest one, he's going for like $27-30 shipped on average on eBay I think. (Canadian $)

That's not really worth anything, they cost almost $16 after tax in Canada. They're close to retail right now.

Who knows what'll happen in a few weeks though when stores sell out.

Jobbs

Banned
If Marth is the rarest one, he's going for like $27-30 shipped on average on eBay I think. (Canadian $)

That's not really worth anything, they cost almost $16 after tax in Canada. They're close to retail right now.

Who knows what'll happen in a few weeks though when stores sell out.

this is fucking crazy. as I just said, go to toysrus.com and order marth with free shipping! $10! (if you buy three amiibos)

Thoraxes

2014-11-2121.12.12cyfqj.jpg

Don't have a Wii U, so no Smash for me yet I binge bought both Pikachu & Fox when I stopped by Gamestop on the way home from work...

Now to find a Villager...

Neiteio

Neiteio: *yawns and stretches*

"Hmm... I think I'll play a PS3 game --"

amiibo0220pxj1o.jpg

Mario: "You a-gonna play a-what?"

DK: "OOO AH-AH OOO AH-AH!"

Yoshi: "Yo-shi!"

Kirby: "Hai!"

Neiteio: "OK, OK! ...jeez, I'll play WiiU"

I got my Peach and Link in the mail today. Was worried how Best Buy would package them but they shipped each in an individual box. I went to Wal Mart and grabbed the last they had of Marth and Villager. They still had 5-6 Wii Fit Trainer, so I held off for now. There was only 1 Link left, but they had plenty of the others (10+ each I'd guess). I also have Samus on tbe way from Best Buy. Definitely plan on getting some of the others and at that point I'd be close to a full set so...

Do we have reason to believe Nintendo won't keep producing these for a while? For example, have they said when wave 2 comes out will they stop making wave 1?

Picked up DK, Samus, and Wii Fit Trainer. Didn't notice that Samus was leaning kind of heavily to one side until after it was out of the packaging.

Ryoku

Target had four Marths in stock. None of them were on the sales floor. The Target app said they had four. They went in the back and grabbed all four. Two were gone (one by me) immediately. The last two were gone within the span of 45 minutes. Crazy.

Now I have Marth and Samus.

Jobbs

Banned
Do we have reason to believe Nintendo won't keep producing these for a while? For example, have they said when wave 2 comes out will they stop making wave 1?

This is an interesting question. Maybe examining Skylanders or the Disney thing would give us some insight -- Do they have "rare" ones, do they go out of production after a time, etc? Is this a thing?

When it comes to core characters like Mario and Link, I can't imagine they'll ever be rare. Obscure characters like Fire Emblem characters and so on, though? I could see it.

Ribbon

Very happy with how my Samus looks but I didn't know you couldn't use them in Classic and online. Oh well it'll look cool on the table.

Sora_N

This is an interesting question. Maybe examining Skylanders or the Disney thing would give us some insight -- Do they have "rare" ones, do they go after production after a time, etc? Is this a thing?

When it comes to core characters like Mario and Link, I can't imagine they'll ever be rare. Obscure characters like Fire Emblem characters and so on, though? I could see it.

I 'collected' Skylanders only until the 2nd game.

I missed a few that I wanted and they are worth more now, I would say that those ones are now rare. Some got cheaper though.

AdanVC

Neiteio: *yawns and stretches*

"Hmm... I think I'll play a PS3 game --"

amiibo0220pxj1o.jpg

Mario: "You a-gonna play a-what?"

DK: "OOO AH-AH OOO AH-AH!"

Yoshi: "Yo-shi!"

Kirby: "Hai!"

Neiteio: "OK, OK! ...jeez, I'll play WiiU"

LMAO at Kirby angry and saying Hai, aww!

I 'collected' Skylanders only until the 2nd game.

I missed a few that I wanted and they are worth more now, I would say that those ones are now rare. Some got cheaper though.

Was it normal figures from retail? I know some from conventions were worth money?

Full disclosure: Wasn't into Skylanders and only grabbed a couple Disney Infinity Characters for my daughter.

Even Mario and the popular ones will likely see new releases branded for other games right? It's not why I'm collecting them but it's something I'm curious about.

Sora_N

Was it normal figures from retail? I know some from conventions were worth money?

Full disclosure: Wasn't into Skylanders and only grabbed a couple Disney Infinity Characters for my daughter.

Even Mario and the popular ones will likely see new releases branded for other games right? It's not why I'm collecting them but it's something I'm curious about.

Yeah it was a regular retail release for the lightcore (they light up) series.

I actually had some of them before but I scalped them when they came out, on the first Skylanders game I made enough profit to cover the game and every figure I bought and keep some extra too. The second game was better stocked, and the third game became less expensive in terms of the characters I think. Fourth game characters (the one that came out this year) will probably be near retail still.

I'm sure some will become rare/expensive though still. I don't really collect those anymore if I don't want to use them, but I'm hoping to just get more Amiibos instead now. :)

Sora_N

I agree. It'll likely be character(s) that aren't well known to the general populace.

maybe I should buy another marth. XD

That's the only reason why I got Marth but the one I got has an awful face. I think there's some that aren't bad.

Pichu0102

Neo Member
It seems like normal CPUs in this Smash do learn over the course of battle. It's pretty obvious when trying to reuse strategies that the CPU will punish you for it. At the end of every battle, it seems to forget the data it was using, and I'm guessing for amiibo, it doesn't forget this data and averages it in to what data is already there.

At least I'm hoping that's what it's like. It would be neat to see machine learning in a game.

Jobbs

Banned
That's the only reason why I got Marth but the one I got has an awful face. I think there's some that aren't bad.

I was thinking about this. What if the "ugly marth faces" are a first run only thing and become the rare ones? Kind of like how in coin or stamp collecting, fucked up prints are often the most collectible.

Sora_N

I was thinking about this. What if the "ugly marth faces" are a first run only thing and become the rare ones? Kind of like how in coin or stamp collecting, fucked up prints are often the most collectible.

Oh god that's so far fetched I won't bank on that lol.

DirtyLarry

Has it been announced there is only a limited amount of these being produced?
I just get the overall feeling from the way they are being discussed is many people seem to be collecting them for collector purposes and not just to own them, and I am struggling seeing how these will hold any sort of value over the years.
So is there something I do not know and they are limited?

Jobbs

Banned
Has it been announced there is only a limited amount of these being produced?
I just get the overall feeling from the way they are being discussed is many people seem to be collecting them for collector purposes and not just to own them, and I am struggling seeing how these will hold any sort of value over the years.
So is there something I do not know and they are limited?

something like this COULD become collectible -- most of them probably won't, but I'd be surprised if not a single figure ended up going up in value in any way. I agree some people (including me) may be getting a bit carried away with their expectations of collectibleness, but hey, what's wrong with having a little harmless fun?

those that got fucked with Amazon shipping, contact them. Got my fox today in the same condition as the link ones posted in this thread earlier. i made it a huge deal. They refunded me the cost of the fox amiibo, told me to keep it, and shipped out another fox amiibo free of charge for the inconvenience.

Also found better luck dealing with the amazon chat on their site, not the phone. They helped me a great deal.

Jobbs

Banned
those that got fucked with Amazon shipping, contact them. Got my fox today in the same condition as the link ones posted in this thread earlier. i made it a huge deal. They refunded me the cost of the fox amiibo, told me to keep it, and shipped out another fox amiibo free of charge for the inconvenience.

Also found better luck dealing with the amazon chat on their site, not the phone. They helped me a great deal.

Doesn't surprise me. Amazon's chat customer service has always bent over backwards to give me stuff any time I've ever had a problem.

Sora_N

Now you can keep one sealed. Great! :)

so what did you say? I ordered my amiibos from amazon and they will probably have me return them

so what did you say? I ordered my amiibos from amazon and they will probably have me return them

I told them the condition the item arrived in was unacceptable, showed them the images of the shipping package and the amiibo package. After I showed it to them i told them that this is not what i paid for, I have been a customer for years, and this is unacceptable of amazon. The guy then said he will refund me and ship out another one at no cost. He also told me as an act of good faith, to keep this amiibo as well. They proceeded to say that they do not want to lose a valuable customer after all of this and they wanted to make it right.

I told them the condition the item arrived in was unacceptable, showed them the images of the shipping package and the amiibo package. After I showed it to them i told them that this is not what i paid for, I have been a customer for years, and this is unacceptable of amazon. The guy then said he will refund me and ship out another one at no cost. He also told me as an act of good faith, to keep this amiibo as well. They proceeded to say that they do not want to lose a valuable customer after all of this and they wanted to make it right.

thank you now i know what to say when my package arrives tom

Sandfox

Amazon does that crap all the time. Watch your new Amiibo be shipped exactly same and possibly messed up as well.

Who here is just buying them to collect/admire? Well, maybe not JUST, but who primarily wants these for their aesthetics and not the in-game goodies?

This is not a veiled "amiibo = shit quality" post, this is a genuine question.

Nothing i want to use it for in game as of yet but I'm sure that'll change. but definitely getting for collectibles as of now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom