• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Analogue NT ($578 HDMI NES) |OT| Better than anything, and ready to ship years ago

Huh?
I'm asking real questions.
I did expect component to work just as fabulously as hdmi. Seems everyone did.

But you were responding to my statement that the device is a quality piece of equipment and people aren't complaining about the quality, in my response to the person who said the Analogue NT was a straight piece of shit that doesn't even match the original NES. I don't think anyone would agree that the problem where having the HDMI addon disables the analogue outputs makes it a piece of shit that doesn't match the original NES.

I don't think anyone would agree that the problem where having the HDMI addon disables the analogue outputs makes it a piece of shit that doesn't match the original NES.

I don't think I've seen anything that says the hardware is bad-minus the sharp aluminum. That's an issue that hopefully an aftermarket solution fixes if they won't.

The bigger concern is how the company is handing communication. It's a shame-the communication issue shouldn'tbe allowed to overshadow the hardware :(

A lot of things weren't communicated properly, a lot of things were left out. I know a few people concerned enough about the output issue that they're apparently considering their options. The statements from the company don't seem to be doing much there :/

dallow_bg

nods at old men
But you were responding to my statement that the device is a quality piece of equipment and people aren't complaining about the quality, in my response to the person who said the Analogue NT was a straight piece of shit that doesn't even match the original NES. I don't think anyone would agree that the problem where having the HDMI addon disables the analogue outputs makes it a piece of shit that doesn't match the original NES.

I've made it clear in my last post that I'm asking you separate questions which you're still not answering.
You were responding to someone clearly trolling. I'm trying to get information here.

It's also pretty disingenuous that you never identified yourself as an employee of Analogue while promoting the product here.

I've made it clear in my last post that I'm asking you separate questions which you're still not answering.
You were responding to someone clearly trolling. I'm trying to get information here.

It's also pretty disingenuous that you never identified yourself as an employee of Analogue while promoting the product here.

What? I'm not an employee, I've never been associated with Analogue in any way, where are you getting this info that I am? I work for a game developer in Miami.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
What? I'm not an employee, I've never been associated with Analogue in any way, where are you getting this info that I am? I work for a game developer in Miami.

It was posted here like 3 times and you never denied it.
So...

Anyway, if you're really not an employee then forget my questions.

Kawika

I gave that a shot. No dice.

Do you have a Famicom Cart or did you happen to Notice my Game Genie workaround? My copy of Castlevania 3 boots to grey/blank screen but when I put in the game genie it works. Huzzah!

Anyway, I feel really bad for your situation.

Unrelated, but I got some thin plastic and I put them on either side of the carts (I am currently only doing this with Zelda games and other painted games) and it seems to keep the scratching to at bay. I am going to petition Analogue to make a composite material to replace the aluminum dust shutters. This is bad news for cart collectors.

Do you have a Famicom Cart or did you happen to Notice my Game Genie workaround? My copy of Castlevania 3 boots to grey/blank screen but when I put in the game genie it works. Huzzah!

Anyway, I feel really bad for your situation.

Unrelated, but I got some thin plastic and I put them on either side of the carts (I am currently only doing this with Zelda games and other painted games) and it seems to keep the scratching to at bay. I am going to petition Analogue to make a composite material to replace the aluminum dust shutters. This is bad news for cart collectors.

Yeah, I tried a fami cart (Castlevania 3 actually) and a nes cart. No game-genie test but I'd rather not risk messing up the pin connectors with a game genie. I have a feeling that there's literally no signal leaving the nt. I'm curious, do you get a signal if there is no game inserted?

Frostburn

I cleaned Rockman and it no longer is doing that same issue. But for Castlevania 3 I can't get it to run unless I use a Game Genie. Its the weirdest damn thing.

https://youtu.be/Lfji4OI_9W4

I don't know why this works and putting it in alone doesn't.

Is anyone else having issues like this?

Also the NT is scraping the gold off of my Game Genie. Whoever thought it was a good idea to use metal instead of a composite wasn't thinking this through. I have half of mind to replace the flaps with carbon fiber or another composite material.

Glad the extra cleaning helped with Rockman, I wonder why Castlevania 3 will work going through the Game Genie. Thanks for posting an update though!

As far as the scrapping goes it is very unfortunate, maybe some type of 3M scotchgard tape or something over the flaps would be a temporary fix? If you cut the tape to size it should be impossible to see and would provide a barrier that can protect the carts.

Khaz

I am going to petition Analogue to make a composite material to replace the aluminum dust shutters. This is bad news for cart collectors.

Oh dear, it's the shutters, made of aluminium, that scratches the games! I never realised that, I though it was the slot itself that was too narrow. I thought it was silly indeed that they didn't allow for some wiggle. But having the shutters made of metal isn't really bright either, I suppose anyone would have realised it would be really easy to scratch stuff with it.

Maybe put some sticky tape over it in the mean time?

Wow, that's crazy that some people can't play Castlevania 3. Can anyone confirm whether it'll play Uncharted Waters and 8 Eyes?

Dude, really? Cut the bullshit.

Now I'm glad I took a screenshot of that Linkedin profile.

Let's review the posts:
F.Y.I. user Dreamwriter is Ernest Dozario.

analogue.jpg

NO... FUCKING.. WAY!!!! Seriously, part of me is hoping that's a joke, but if it was it would be done in very poor taste. Is it?

Your response:
Heh - I live in Miami BTW, just never updated my profile.

You can lie through your teeth, is that a requirement to work for Analogue Interactive or did they include that as on-the-job training?

Echoes

I saw the head of Brave Wave on twitter posting his signed Rockman cart inside the NT. I would be sooo scared to scratch that.

It got scratched, unfortunately. I've been playing for a few days now (Castlevania 3, Gimmick, Rockman 3, DuckTales) and every single cart got scratched, including the super expensive Gimmick that I spent $400+ on. :( The scratches aren't only on the sides, but sometimes on the back as well. I don't own any NES cart, but I can confirm that Famicom carts scratch easily no matter how you remove them: docking back and forth or removing them straight up. Scratch might not be the best word: it's grating. Someone mentioned in this thread that what's happening is literally similar to grating cheese, and that's true. Really very unfortunate.

Another problem that's universal with all HDMI versions is that the console will reset itself if you turn off the TV. I don't understand the reasoning behind it, but I hope Analogue would be able to somehow fix it in a firmware upgrade. I personally suck at Gimmick so I couldn't leave the console turned on overnight.

Aside from these issues, the output itself is magnificent. Famicom is my favorite console, so this is pretty much the best gameplay experience for me. I'd spend more time with the console but I don't want to scratch the rest of my collection, even though I'm not a collector nor intend to sell my carts anytime. I hope someone here will be able to find a good hack.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
It got scratched, unfortunately. I've been playing for a few days now (Castlevania 3, Gimmick, Rockman 3, DuckTales) and every single cart got scratched, including the super expensive Gimmick that I spent $400+ on. :( The scratches aren't only on the sides, but sometimes on the back as well. I don't own any NES cart, but I can confirm that Famicom carts scratch easily no matter how you remove them: docking back and forth or removing them straight up. Scratch might not be the best word: it's grating. Someone mentioned in this thread that what's happening is literally similar to grating cheese, and that's true. Really very unfortunate.

Another problem that's universal with all HDMI versions is that the console will reset itself if you turn off the TV. I don't understand the reasoning behind it, but I hope Analogue would be able to somehow fix it in a firmware upgrade. I personally suck at Gimmick so I couldn't leave the console turned on overnight.

Aside from these issues, the output itself is magnificent. Famicom is my favorite console, so this is pretty much the best gameplay experience for me. I'd spend more time with the console but I don't want to scratch the rest of my collection, even though I'm not a collector nor intend to sell my carts anytime. I hope someone here will be able to find a good hack.

Yikes, sorry to hear that.
As for the resetting of the system from losing the HDMI connection, that sounds like a problem from the early days of HDMI.

I don't think anyone did.
And your post certainly didn't clear that up. Especially since you didn't post for a month after that.
I posted 3 hours later when someone pointed out that he was in Seattle, WA, and so was I. I don't like continuing derailed threads, so I didn't check back until next time I noticed this thread on the first page.

Go back to his original post, it doesn't sound to me like he's joking and I even responded asking if someone could disprove it because I was "hoping that's a joke, but if it was it would be done in very poor taste."

If you're now claiming it's a joke after it's been repeated so many times then I don't believe you.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
I posted 3 hours later when someone pointed out that he was in Seattle, WA, and so was I. I don't like continuing derailed threads, so I didn't check back until next time I noticed this thread on the first page.

I meant a month from that post where it looked like you found out you were "caught".
I guess this can all be dropped then.

Echoes

Click here to see my examples of scratches and grating: http://postimg.org/image/4f3inf7hj/

I inserted Castlevania 3 (black cart) a maximum of 3 or 4 times. Rockman 1 (blue) only once. Rockman 3 (green) many times, because it kept failing to play the game properly (my fault, unclean cart).

Every time I remove a cart I can see the result of the grating (the dusting) on the dust covers of the console.

Well, I will be sending my defective unit back tomorrow. Then I get to wait even longer than I already have.

I'd hoped they'd step up and overnight me a new console as I was willing to pay for expedited shipping to return the old one but they declined and I got a standard return label.

televator

Click here to see my examples of scratches and grating: http://postimg.org/image/4f3inf7hj/

I inserted Castlevania 3 (black cart) a maximum of 3 or 4 times. Rockman 1 (blue) only once. Rockman 3 (green) many times, because it kept failing to play the game properly (my fault, unclean cart).

Every time I remove a cart I can see the result of the grating (the dusting) on the dust covers of the console.

That's not good.

Frostburn

Another problem that's universal with all HDMI versions is that the console will reset itself if you turn off the TV

Could have something to do with the EDID the Kevtris HDMI kit does. I believe you can turn this feature off and manually set your resolution. Try doing that and then see if it still powers off when the TV is turned off. Should be fixible with firmware, at least I'd hope so.

Chittagong can you update the OP with the new issues people are finding?

Kawika

So I am getting close to contacting them and returning it. After a quick visit to my local Retro game's dealer. I was asking him why i couldn't get Castlevania 3 working. I brought the game in, he said, look at the connectors, this isn't a nes or a famicom. He did a great approximation but it isn't the stock teeth you would expect to see. He continued, clone systems don't like Castlevania 3 and Paper boy for that matter. I had not even tried it. When I got home, I grabbed a copy of Paperboy. No shit, it didn't work either.

This is getting very frustrating.

Strike List so far

• Doesn't out put RGB if you get the HDMI upgrade
  • Scratches the shit out of your carts.
  • Behaves like a clone system (IE doesn't work with Castlevania 3 and Paperboy)
  • Terrible communication from the Analogue Team
  • Requires you to downgrade the firmware to work with ever drive

Frostburn

So I am getting close to contacting them and returning it. After a quick visit to my local Retro game's dealer. I was asking him why i couldn't get Castlevania 3 working. I brought the game in, he said, look at the connectors, this isn't a nes or a famicom. He did a great approximation but it isn't the stock teeth you would expect to see. He continued, clone systems don't like Castlevania 3 and Paper boy for that matter. I had not even tried it. When I got home, I grabbed a copy of Paperboy. No shit, it didn't work either.

This is getting very frustrating.

Strike List so far

• Doesn't out put RGB if you get the HDMI upgrade
  • Scratches the shit out of your carts.
  • Behaves like a clone system (IE doesn't work with Castlevania 3 and Paperboy)
  • Terrible communication from the Analogue Team
  • Requires you to downgrade the firmware to work with ever drive

Kevin identified the issue with Caslevania 3 and will be fixing it http://forums.nesdev.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=12019&start=165#p155030

Kawika

Kevin identified the issue with Caslevania 3 and will be fixing it http://forums.nesdev.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=12019&start=165#p155030

Let me clarify, I don't really want to return it. I just really wish that I received what I thought I was buying. The image quality on this thing is absolutely stunning. When I'm playing, I really do forget about my other issues.

How will Kevtris' fix work for me? They clearly don't want people opening their own NT because of the tape over the screw. I assume if the tape is removed so goes your warranty. So, I'd have to ship it back to them to get any update. Which will be out of my pocket not their's.

I'm going to go to the craft store this weekend and try to fashion a plastic sleeve to go around my carts to prevent scratches when I insert them into the cart bays.

Echoes

Photo_9_12_15_2_34_49_PM.jpg

I decided to use my Honey Bee NES-to-Famicom converter when playing Famicom games until someone finds a solution for the dust covers. I can confirm that it plays perfectly, including all the additional sound channels on Castlevania 3 and Gimmick.

Could have something to do with the EDID the Kevtris HDMI kit does. I believe you can turn this feature off and manually set your resolution. Try doing that and then see if it still powers off when the TV is turned off. Should be fixible with firmware, at least I'd hope so.

I disabled the EDID and the console still resets whenever I turn off the TV, unfortunately.

Frostburn

Glad to see using a Game Genie or Honeybee adapter lets those games boot up (and prevents any cart scratching issues with the games themselves).

Sad about the growing pains and lack of communication with the Analogue NT for you guys though. It is common with something so new to have issues and I think the fact that they didn't have time to do any extensive testing with the HDMI kits before installing them and sending them to waiting pre order folks account for so many issues slipping through the cracks, they simply didn't do much QA beyond what Kevin did to test each kit before sending them to Analogue. Everyone who bought one should get an email from Analogue about the identified issues and what solutions are being developed to fix them ASAP in my opinion. They need to communicate better, period.

All this being said I am still looking forward to getting mine eventually because it is an amazing product.

Random compatibility question from a non-owner based on the newly discovered issues: does the DuckTales US cart run? Clones tend to boot to a green screen on that too.

Edit: Never mind, someone in this thread said they had been playing it on their Analogue. So it probably runs fine.

Kawika

Random compatibility question from a non-owner based on the newly discovered issues: does the DuckTales US cart run? Clones tend to boot to a green screen on that too.

Edit: Never mind, someone in this thread said they had been playing it on their Analogue. So it probably runs fine.

Supposedly, the are using actual parts from genuine nes and Famicom hardware so it should not behave like a clone. I think the HDMI is causing the issues. I'd bet most RGB users are not noticing any compatibility issues.

Yes Boss!

Sad about the growing pains and lack of communication with the Analogue NT for you guys though. It is common with something so new to have issues and I think the fact that they didn't have time to do any extensive testing with the HDMI kits before installing.

These are not "growing pains." It is a nasty laundry list of issues associated with the single run of machines. Their sexond run of machines are not going to magically fix them based on their (his) history. Kinda sad how it all ended. I had hope for it a year back but this is just sounding more and more terrible as time passes.

Bar81

These are not "growing pains." It is a nasty laundry list of issues associated with the single run of machines. Their sexond run of machines are not going to magically fix them based on their (his) history. Kinda sad how it all ended. I had hope for it a year back but this is just sounding more and more terrible as time passes.

Given how this clown operates this cluster was the likeliest of results. People gave him money blindly and with his history - just dumb.

Frostburn

A product that was JUST finished being created for the first time (Kevtris HDMI mod) has some issues and bugs. It was tested a bit by one guy and his friend before being sent to Analogue to be installed in the NT. The only actual issue with the NT is the cart scrapping. The HDMI kit is causing the other issues because it is brand new and wasn't tested across all games. That doesn't excuse Analogue about the change in promises about RGB and HDMI working on the same unit being a feature or the poor communication.

Any first run product is going to have growing pains, huge companies put out buggy products all the time. Should it happen? Of course not but I do think the HDMI kit will get better and most of these issues will go away. As someone above said, the RGB version of the Analogue NT does not seem to have any issues beside the case scrapping carts.

I don't think the issues are excusable but I can see why there are issues. The only thing that would have prevented the issues is more time and testing and with all the broken promises and deadlines well exceeded they didn't want to do that. Should have been a Kickstarter with a 2016 delivery date but with such a niche boutique product I doubt it would have been funded successfully.

Given how this clown operates this cluster was the likeliest of results. People gave him money blindly and with his history - just dumb.

Curious about the history of this "guy" who is he and whats his story? Can you post a link?

And just so everyone knows I'm not trying to defend Analogue, their failings with the NT are numerous. I just think there is more to the entire history, development and ups and downs and would love to learn more about what happened and why things turned out the way it did because at the end of the day they did mostly pull off a product that is pretty amazing (especially once the issues are corrected).

ultimos

Neo Member
It's not that. It's that the cart slot is loose and bumping it causes the games to lose connection. Has nothing to do with how clean the carts are.

I had this exact problem with both style of Super Nintendos I had, and cleaning the games fixed it. Like I said though, I don't have the system so that's just my best guess on a possible fix.

Echoes

My favorite feature of the Nt has got to be the audio/channels visualizer. It's absolutely glorious if you care about music. I have an iPhone app that allows me to load .NSF files and separate the channels, to study them separately, but what I like about the Nt is that it plays the notes (with vibratos and everything) for you to see what's exactly going — not just the notes that are playing but also the different techniques that the composer implemented.

Examples:

Gimmick (notice the Sunsoft 5B notes)
https://twitter.com/robokick/status/642002129704644608

Castlevania 3 (notice the VRC6 notes)
https://twitter.com/robokick/status/641621167711895552

Captain Tsubasa 2 (doesn't have extra channels; composed by Ninja Gaiden's Keiji Yamagishi)
https://twitter.com/robokick/status/642768095703076864

Pausing any game to bring up this visualizer is so fun for me. I especially like how it shows you techniques like the vibrato. In my case above, Keiji Yamagishi didn't implement any vibrato in Captain Tsubasa 1, and after that he composed Ninja Gaiden (which he learned and employed some new techniques like vibrato, bends, square channels playing together, etc) and he carried those over to Captain Tsubasa 2. I've always known this info, but seeing how it operates visually is fascinating. Especially fun if you're a fan of a specific composer — it would allow you to compare their own stuff and see how they evolved, not just by your ears but from noticing the techniques on the visualizer.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Glad people are enjoying their Analogue NTs! I will update the OP next time I am in decent wifi & MacBook, it's just too massive to do on iPhone - scratching, connectors and HDMI/RGB seem to be the biggest issues at the moment.

Photo_9_12_15_2_34_49_PM.jpg

I decided to use my Honey Bee NES-to-Famicom converter when playing Famicom games until someone finds a solution for the dust covers. I can confirm that it plays perfectly, including all the additional sound channels on Castlevania 3 and Gimmick.

Let me say up front I feel for your carts getting messed up but the irony here is amazing.

kazuo

How will Kevtris' fix work for me? They clearly don't want people opening their own NT because of the tape over the screw. I assume if the tape is removed so goes your warranty. So, I'd have to ship it back to them to get any update. Which will be out of my pocket not their's.

The issue is with the HDMI NES board itself based on kevtris' post on nesdev, and I believe you can update the board's firmware from a flash cart, so you shouldn't need to send it back.

So, we're 100% sure now that the cart scraping/shaving/whatever issue is the dust covers and NOT the body/shell itself? I suppose that using a Game Genie, etc. is a good workaround, but that's pretty ridiculous.

The thing that stood out to me the most in that CGR review is how much the RCA jacks move around when he plugs the cables in:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2N47GwylC8&t=2m24s
Not really a big deal, but never really seen anything like that before.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Critique and controversies

hdmi2.gif

Image credit - Retrogamingnr blog

Lies, lies, lies.
Clearly the biggest controversy around Analogue NT has been the broken promises, which have later revealed to be blatant lies. There was no way Analogue ever intended to ship the device in Summer 2014, despite their claims to the contrary. Especially damning was their broken promise of showing a functioning unit on 17 December 2014 - which could not have existed since they only showed a video in June.

HDMI bait-and-switch.
Analogue originally claimed to ship an external HDMI converter with Analogue NT. They talked about it as late as in December 2014. For one reason or the other, they did a stealth switch to an internal HDMI unit based on Kevtris HDMI NES mod. This was clearly a much superior solution, but it has upset customers who passed on the HDMI upgrade initially.

It might scratch your cartridges.
A poster in this thread had a problem with cartridges scratching, however OP doesn't. Recently more posters in this thread reported scratching problems on their *gasp* Gimmick cartridge. Your mileage may vary.

RGB Scart output is overly bright, due to missing capacitors
The review from dark10x and JT shows that the Scart cable Analogue ships with the device results on an overly bright picture and no sound over Scart:

It's either HDMI or RGB, not both.
After HDMI units shipped it emerged that choosing to have an HDMI unit means you can't output RGB. This was never communicated by Analogue, and has upset players who wanted to have the option to play on a CRT directly out of the box. The root of this problem is that Analogue swapped their HDMI solution halfway through the project when their own HDMI development apparently had failed. The initial plan they sold was having an external HDMI upscaler. While the Kevtris solution is vastly superior compared to the original plan for those wanting only HDMI, people wanting HDMI+CRT are out of luck.

Compatibility issues with HDMI kit
Some posters have reported that certain games seem to not work on the HDMI unit. This problem has been acknowledged by Kevtris, who has promised to update the firmware of the HDMI kit. Analogue has not commented this, and the logistics of a firmware update are unknown. The root of this problem is that Analogue swapped their HDMI solution halfway through the project, and due to the massive delays shipped products the minute they got the HDMI kits from Kevtris.

Connector issues
Several posters have reported connector problems. Some games won't boot up properly directly, but seem to work when played through an adaptor or Game Genie, indicating that there might be a connector quality issue. The connectors also seem to be loose, so pushing a cartridge will freeze the unit.

Finally got around to updating the Controversies section in the OP... quite a list of troubles.

Kawika

Finally got around to updating the Controversies section in the OP... quite a list of troubles.

I think its important to to add a incompatibility list section into that list.

So far in my experience only Paper Boy and Castlevania 3 are doa.

As my video shows, it is possible to get Castlevania 3 (USA) working on the NT by using a game genie to start it. Kevtris can fix this all he wants but I am sure Analogue team is not going to pay for your shipping to fix this issue (i guess that will be resolved on my end - thanks Frostburn)and its likely more quirks will be apparently when the kits get into the hands of people that didn't buy the NT.

Some fixes incoming for Analogue NT's HDMI kit - http://forums.nesdev.com/viewtopic.php?p=155228#p155228

Wow, I had no clue it was possible for us to patch it using an everdrive. That is fantastic news.

Nice. Imagine how different things would look like if Kevtris got to do all the communication for Analogue.

So I read something in that patch notes. If the HDMI isn't detected in 2-3 seconds it defaults to composite mode. Does that mean it can be connected via Composite? I would like to at least have that option instead of nothing for analogue hook-ups.

Chittagong

Gold Member
I think its important to to add a incompatibility list section into that list.

So far in my experience only Paper Boy and Castlevania 3 are doa.

Added this to the op

Wow, I had no clue it was possible for us to patch it using an everdrive. That is fantastic news.

This too

So I read something in that patch notes. If the HDMI isn't detected in 2-3 seconds it defaults to composite mode. Does that mean it can be connected via Composite? I would like to at least have that option instead of nothing for analogue hook-ups.

I think composite was always available on HDMI units, but component / RGB is not.

Khaz

He didn't address at all the incompatibility of the HD mod and the RGB mod. Not even a "nope, not possible". I'm really interested in the limitations of these two mods and why they can't work together; or even be installed together, even if one is switched off.

low_budget

Neo Member

I believe the patch notes you mentioned are referring to the PPU mode, not the system.

To my understanding, the HDMI analogue nt doesn't have the amp or wiring connected to output the original PPU generated composite.

The HDMI Nt probably does not use the analog A/V out port for anything.

Also I believe incorporating HDMI NES and NESRGB functions would be impossible without making an entirely new board that's bigger, more expensive, and long development time.
I wouldn't count on that anytime soon.

Top Bottom