• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Analogue NT ($578 HDMI NES) |OT| Better than anything, and ready to ship years ago

Frostburn

I was kinda down on this before, but hearing people positive on it now, my opinion might be changing. I dunno, maybe I should consider it.

If you have the means and you are interested in playing NES and Famicom games in full HD on your modern TV it is hands down the best option out there.

The second pre-order started and they are only doing 300 units so don't consider for too long. There are now 3 of us that are part of the second wave and they seem to be getting about 10-12 preorders a day without directly advertising the second wave has even started (At least not that I can find)

Lynd7

If you have the means and you are interested in playing NES and Famicom games in full HD on your modern TV it is hands down the best option out there.

The second pre-order started and they are only doing 300 units so don't consider for too long. There are now 3 of us that are part of the second wave and they seem to be getting about 10-12 preorders a day without directly advertising the second wave has even started (At least not that I can find)

Yeah will make decision soon.

Any further words from anyone on the cart slot scratching carts?

mlpz

Neo Member
No problems here. On the contrary, my slot is a bit loose, so if you push the cart the game will freeze.

Mine does the same thing! I was worried if that was just me. I've frozen three games while trying to turn off the system when I accidentally bump the cart.

baphomet

I wouldn't say its the best option. It's one of many options. For roughly the same price you could buy an RGB NES and an XRGB Mini which will work with all your systems. For less you could install one of the same HDMI boards into a Toploader or AV Famicom. In fact you could probably have the HDMI board installed into both for less than the price of this. But if you have to have an all in one solution its a good option.

Frostburn

True if he wants to possibly upscale other systems then an RGB mod plus XRGB Mini would be a great option assuming he already has a good working NES, won't be able to play Famicom games of course unless he gets a separate mod for that system. The Kevtris HDMI kit isn't for sale yet, I'm sure it will be soon though.

All depends on what he currently has, what he wants to spend and what he wants to do.

ultimos

Neo Member
Mine does the same thing! I was worried if that was just me. I've frozen three games while trying to turn off the system when I accidentally bump the cart.

While I don't have a NT, It really sounds like your games just need to be cleaned. Cleaning my games got rid of this problem on all my old cart systems. Look into how to clean them. There's lots of different ways, however you decide to do it though I'd suggest getting the screw bit that opens up the carts so you can really see what you are doing.

baphomet

While I don't have a NT, It really sounds like your games just need to be cleaned. Cleaning my games got rid of this problem on all my old cart systems. Look into how to clean them. There's lots of different ways, however you decide to do it though I'd suggest getting the screw bit that opens up the carts so you can really see what you are doing.

It's not that. It's that the cart slot is loose and bumping it causes the games to lose connection. Has nothing to do with how clean the carts are.

Kawika

I wouldn't say its the best option. It's one of many options. For roughly the same price you could buy an RGB NES and an XRGB Mini which will work with all your systems. For less you could install one of the same HDMI boards into a Toploader or AV Famicom. In fact you could probably have the HDMI board installed into both for less than the price of this. But if you have to have an all in one solution its a good option.

You know I hear this quite often. I may get a XRGB mini some day but I do have a PVM which set me back $45. The idea of lugging an upscaler (or my Monitor) to a friends house to play old games isn't exactly something that I could see myself doing.

When I bought this thing I thought I would have RGB out and HDMI out but you can't have both at this time (probably forever). But in the end, I decided what I really wanted was a way to play old nes games long after my PVM kicks the bucket. HDMI seemed to be the best purchase.

I honestly feel that a new XRGB is due and part of me has just put that purchase of because of the TV industry is pushing 4K.

I kinda wish it were possible to do authorized reproductions of the NES chips so this wouldn't be a limited/expensive proposition and in case one of them goes kaput for good.

Echoes

Photo_9_9_15_3_55_20_PM_1.jpg

I got my HDMI version yesterday. Great device. Comparing the Rockman games to the newly released MMLC really puts the latter to shame.

I have one issue: turning off the TV resets the console. I'll have to contact them about it.

magnumpy

for the ridiculous cost of this thing you could buy a basic PC and emulate the NES perfectly

you could also run emulators for every classic console and handheld ever, not just NES

or hell, you could buy an actual NES off of ebay and have a bunch of money left over

$600 is just too much!

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
for the ridiculous cost of this thing you could buy a basic PC and emulate the NES perfectly

you could also run emulators for every classic console and handheld ever, not just NES

or hell, you could buy an actual NES off of ebay and have a bunch of money left over

$600 is just too much!

I am not going the Analogue NT route.

But if you are suggesting emulators.... Nope. You're not on the same planet as the market who wants this.

Emulators almost always suck in some way. Resolution, sound emulation, scaling, controllers, the gluttony and non-fun of massive rom sets..... It's a big nope.

I say this as someone who has spent countless hours with emulators on multiple platforms, seeking perfection. There is always something wrong.

Echoes

Emulators aren't good for some of us. This is not an emulator. It's the real thing, down to the hardware components, with a slew of additional features.

For a comparison, you could listen to 192kbps MP3 with your Apple earbuds. Some people don't care. Others have an entire audio setup, high-end amps, high-end headphones, and only deal with high quality files.

It might not make a difference to you, which is fine. But it does make a substantial difference to some of us.

magnumpy

I am not going the Analogue NT route.

But if you are suggesting emulators.... Nope. You're not on the same planet as the market who wants this.

Emulators almost always suck in some way. Resolution, sound emulation, scaling, controllers, the gluttony and non-fun of massive rom sets..... It's a big nope.

I say this as someone who has spent countless hours with emulators on multiple platforms, seeking perfection. There is always something wrong.

here is an ebay auction for an actual NES with a buy it now price of $150

you could pay for that auction multiple times over for the cost of this thing

but hey, if you just want to waste your money I'm not going to talk you out of it. I'm sure you could find someone who sells $1 bills for $10 too.

$600 is just too much!

here is an ebay auction for an actual NES with a buy it now price of $150

you could pay for that auction multiple times over for the cost of this thing

but hey, if you just want to waste your money I'm not going to talk you out of it. I'm sure you could find someone who sells $1 bills for $10 too.

You're completely missing the point of this device.

Kawika

I got a few issues that came up so far. I am not sure if this is caused by dirty contacts, some weird glitch caused by the HDMI upgrade, or what. This is an example of what happens (but not limited to) when I play Rockman via the famicom port.

https://youtu.be/XQ7fQ4btzXU

My original NES from the 80s has seen better days but most games load first try. The NT has been in my possession for only a few hours but I can't even get Castlevania 3 to load

https://youtu.be/LHzE54B4yNk

Other issues have been some really strange graphical glitches in Blaster Master.

Another gripe I have is that the metal doors are scratching my games or my games are wearing the metal out because there was a fine grey dust around the cart slots.

On to the positives. I have never seen Super Mario Bros 3 look better than this. Rockman games are tough as shit so I haven't really been able to enjoy them like I would if I owned the Mega Man carts. But they really look great (except for that glitch on MM1).

Sorry for the external links but I don't know if there is another way embed videos. I am relatively new to posting at gaf.

magnumpy

You're completely missing the point of this device.

no I'm not, I said you could find someone to sell you $1 bills for $10.

and unlike this device the $1 bills will actually work properly.

for such an outrageous price, the least they could do is create a device which works properly without fail. $600 is just too much to pay to play video games which are decades old. for crying out loud, even a brand new PS4 is only $400.

magnumpy

Why are you posting in this thread exactly?

I can't resist the opportunity to call a spade a spade

And yes, you are missing the point. The whole idea of missing a point is not being aware of the point, thus missing it. Which you do spectacularly.

then by all means, tell me what is the point which I am missing?

D.Lo

You haven't even done cursory research to understand the difference between this and a stock NES, why those differences are necessary or desirable, or to understand the value proposition of a custom boutique product that ties in with nostalgia.

It's a high-end boutique product to support enjoyment of what is ultimately an 'antique collecting and appreciation' hobby.

Echoes

Why would you buy a Beyerdynamics headphones when you have your free Apple earbuds? Why would you buy a Mercedes when any other sedan still gets you to the same destination? Why buy vinyl records when they're available on YouTube?

Analogue Nt does achieve technical marvels—the fact that it gives a digital signal directly from the board alone is worth my money—but above all it's a well designed, aesthetically pleasing product that manages to do things in a unique way, with the convenience of playing both Famicom and NES carts natively.

Life isn't black and white. It's not just about specifications, as much as they matter to us in this situation. We all have different senses and appreciations. I'm willing to pay a premium for a well designed product that goes in line with my design sensibilities. Someone else might settle for a cheaper product that's not necessarily inferior technically but of a lesser build quality. You might be fine with an emulator -- you might just want to play a game and be done with it. That's fine. But calling out people because they appreciate and love something that goes over your head is silly and childish.

magnumpy

Why would you buy a Beyerdynamics headphones when you have your free Apple earbuds? Why would you buy a Mercedes when any other sedan still gets you to the same destination? Why buy vinyl records when they're available on YouTube?

Analogue Nt does achieve technical marvels—the fact that it gives a digital signal directly from the board alone is worth my money—but above all it's a well designed, aesthetically pleasing product that manages to do things in a unique way, with the convenience of playing both Famicom and NES carts natively.

Life isn't black and white. It's not just about specifications, as much as they matter to us in this situation. We all have different senses and appreciations. I'm willing to pay a premium for a well designed product that goes in line with my design sensibilities. Someone else might settle for a cheaper product that's not necessarily inferior technically but of a lesser build quality. You might be fine with an emulator -- you might just want to play a game and be done with it. That's fine. But calling out people because they appreciate and love something that goes over your head is silly and childish.

if this product provided a premium experience for a premium price that I could understand. but it doesn't, just read the numerous complaints in this thread. it doesn't even live up to the expectations of the original NES.

this thing isn't even worth $20, let alone $600. for the record the only people I'm "calling out" are the crooks who are trying to fleece gamers with this $600 POS.

Echoes

It gives us a true digital signal, directly from the board. The image looks much better than a Famicom hooked up to a TV — crisp and unlike anything I've experienced before.

Photo_9_9_15_6_20_24_PM.jpg

if this product provided a premium experience for a premium price that I could understand. but it doesn't, just read the numerous complaints in this thread. it doesn't even live up to the expectations of the original NES.

this thing isn't even worth $20, let alone $600. for the record the only people I'm "calling out" are the crooks who are trying to fleece gamers with this $600 POS.

Um, maybe *you* should read the numerous complaints in this thread - nowhere does a single person say it doesn't even live up to the expectations of the original NES, nor does anyone call it a POS. The complaints have nothing to do with the quality of the device or the experience of using it, but the way the manufacturerer handled its sales/communication.

Everyone who has one says the product provides an amazing, premium experience.

Kawika

Um, maybe *you* should read the numerous complaints in this thread - nowhere does a single person say it doesn't even live up to the expectations of the original NES, nor does anyone call it a POS. The complaints have nothing to do with the quality of the device or the experience of using it, but the way the manufacturerer handled its sales/communication.

I'm not going to acknowledge this other person's trollish behavior directly but I'm in agreement with you. I thought the NT would have both RGB and HDMI out the box. I was upset about that and almost cancelled my order. Ultimately, I decided it was the HDMI output that made me want the thing in the first place.

But when I got the thing last night and hooked it up I was amazed on almost every level. I never thought a NES could look this good. It plays so well and I love the options available to us via the HDMI upgrade.

So far 4 games have displayed some weirdness in behavior. I'm not entirely sure it isn't caused by oxidation and/or dirty contacts. I posted these videos with hope that someone had a suggestion to fix my issues but then we got into an argument with this person.

It isn't for you and my video shows I have both this and a working NES from 1987 why would I need this? The answer is, I don't, but I did WANT it and I could afford it, so I bought it. In the end, its a much better product than a stock NES and it kind of broke my CRT snobbery.

mlpz

Neo Member
I'm not going to acknowledge this other person's trollish behavior directly but I'm in agreement with you. I thought the NT would have both RGB and HDMI out the box. I was upset about that and almost cancelled my order. Ultimately, I decided it was the HDMI output that made me want the thing in the first place.

But when I got the thing last night and hooked it up I was amazed on almost every level. I never thought a NES could look this good. It plays so well and I love the options available to us via the HDMI upgrade.

I second this. After some time has passed now, I'm over the lack of RGB and whole-hog into the HDMI quality of this thing. It's stunning.

For the emulator fanboys: I've owned a Retron 5, a Retro Duo Portable, played countless Virtual Console games, and emulated on a PC. This blows them all away in terms of picture and sound quality. EVERY. SINGLE. ONE.

I'm not about to tell someone else what to do with their money. I take great offense when total strangers think they need to tell me what I should do with mine. The utility and joy from playing my old favorite games on this has made it worth it may times over already.

Frostburn

I got a few issues that came up so far. I am not sure if this is caused by dirty contacts, some weird glitch caused by the HDMI upgrade, or what.

Thanks for posting about your issues, I have Castlevania 3 and Blaster Master so when I finally get my Analogue NT (Next year in March hopefully) I will certainly be curious as to how they work. If you've cleaned the contacts on all the carts (Including Famicom Rickman) then I would contact Analogue and let them know of your issues. The HDMI kit is firmware upgradable and if it is a defect with the original Nintendo PPU or CPU I'm sure they'd fix it for you. (Not that you want to send the unit to them and wait for it to be fixed and returned but it shouldn't have the issues you are getting).

As far as cleaning contacts go, if you have some Windex in the house and Qtips just put a bit of windex on the cotton and run it over the contacts on both sides of the cart. Then flip it over and use the dry side of the Q tip and run it over the cart contacts again. Repeat that process until you aren't getting really black/dirty Q tips. Make sure you let it dry or use a clean Q tip to get up any extra windex and then test the cart again. If you still have issues I'd certainly get in touch with Analogue.

Kawika

Thanks for posting about your issues, I have Castlevania 3 and Blaster Master so when I finally get my Analogue NT (Next year in March hopefully) I will certainly be curious as to how they work. If you've cleaned the contacts on all the carts (Including Famicom Rickman) then I would contact Analogue and let them know of your issues. The HDMI kit is firmware upgradable and if it is a defect with the original Nintendo PPU or CPU I'm sure they'd fix it for you. (Not that you want to send the unit to them and wait for it to be fixed and returned but it shouldn't have the issues you are getting).

As far as cleaning contacts go, if you have some Windex in the house and Qtips just put a bit of windex on the cotton and run it over the contacts on both sides of the cart. Then flip it over and use the dry side of the Q tip and run it over the cart contacts again. Repeat that process until you aren't getting really black/dirty Q tips. Make sure you let it dry or use a clean Q tip to get up any extra windex and then test the cart again. If you still have issues I'd certainly get in touch with Analogue.

Thanks for the tip. I cleaned them with 90% Isopropil (rubbing alcohol). I will try Windex tonight. Front loading NES aren't exactly the best when you have a dirty cart and that makes me wonder if its something else. Since you can see in the video that it works on my NES without issue.

Frostburn

Thanks for the tip. I cleaned them with 90% Isopropil (rubbing alcohol). I will try Windex tonight. Front loading NES aren't exactly the best when you have a dirty cart and that makes me wonder if its something else. Since you can see in the video that it works on my NES without issue.

Ah rubbing alcohol works just as well as Windex for me, just less common to have it handy for most people (90% or higher is tougher to find at least where I live). I have a toaster model (Front loader as well) and after cleaning the 72 pin by boiling most games are booting right up for me. I'd contact Analogue as you might have to start some sort of RMA process with them.

dallow_bg

nods at old men

So what's the deal with the digital OR analog issue that it seems no customer knew about before ordering the HDMI upgrade?
You do work for Analog right? Or did a few months ago?

So what's the deal with the digital OR analog issue that it seems no customer knew about before ordering the HDMI upgrade?
You do work for Analog right?

Did that issue on your Analogue NT make you think that the unit doesn't even live up to the expectations of the original NES? Does that unexpected issue make the device not a premium experience? Do you think your device is a piece of shit because of that?

Kawika

Did that issue on your Analogue NT make you think that the unit doesn't even live up to the expectations of the original NES? Does that unexpected issue make the device not a premium experience? Do you think your device is a piece of shit because of that?

Not sure if that's a fair line of questioning. I read that it would have digital and analogue hook ups. I'm in that small group (but likely the large majority) of CRT/RGB enthusiasts that wanted a the console because it offered the best of both worlds. I even talked myself into it because of those expectations. While losing my RGB analogue output is a huge bummer, I really do like the HDMI upgrade. I absolutely want both in one machine and its really not acceptable that it doesn't based on the way it was marketed.

20cent

Banned
The reviews and what the product does are mouthwatering, I'd be tempted if the Analogue NT was pretty or looked less like a failed attempt at design from CAD students with access to CNC machinery.

Huggers

So weird that it doesn't offer both HDMI and RGB outputs. Surely a huge part of the appeal is that it is the best of both worlds?

dallow_bg

nods at old men

Huh?
I'm asking real questions.
I did expect component to work just as fabulously as hdmi. Seems everyone did.

You do work for Analog right? Or did a few months ago?

My issue wasn't the hardware quality- I had a feeling it'd be nice from the jump and the one I've seen in person is amazing. The communication/transparency is completely bad for how much money is exchanging hands. I think even if these were $5 Chinese controllers on ebay I'd still be a little irritated by the lack of communication.

Factor in the time, the fibs, delays- it's sad. If the company wants to get a better image, they need to address some things.

Is that one guy still filing the FTC info based on the starting ads- before they were changed without notification?

If they plan on releasing more products, if they were more open I'm sure it'd have nothing but a positive effect on things- it'd be shortsighted to not get that stuff figured out ASAP.

Hey, Chittagong, it seems the CU Podcast has been following your thread!

Today's episode includes a discussion about the Analogue NT and you can tell a lot of the info they used was lifted from this thread and your OP, including terms like "stealth Kickstarter"

I was listening to it while at the gym so I don't know exactly when it begins but it is in the early half of the show.

Click here to listen

I got mine earlier this week but didn't have a chance to try it out. Plugged it in tonight. No video signal. I am livid.

I waited patiently over a year for this.

Kawika

I got mine earlier this week but didn't have a chance to try it out. Plugged it in tonight. No video signal. I am livid.

I waited patiently over a year for this.

Press Down and Select when booting it up. It goes into the video mode. Try a different cart too. The only game of mine that doesn't work on the NT has been castlevania 3.

Contacted customer service to upgrade my second shipment console to a red color. Said they had no more, but they're still selling them on their website.

Odd...

Impressions here are making me super excited for it though.

Kawika

I cleaned Rockman and it no longer is doing that same issue. But for Castlevania 3 I can't get it to run unless I use a Game Genie. Its the weirdest damn thing.

https://youtu.be/Lfji4OI_9W4

I don't know why this works and putting it in alone doesn't.

Is anyone else having issues like this?

Also the NT is scraping the gold off of my Game Genie. Whoever thought it was a good idea to use metal instead of a composite wasn't thinking this through. I have half of mind to replace the flaps with carbon fiber or another composite material.

OnPoint

Kinda can't believe the whole scraping issue. It's really the biggest thing keeping me from putting the $600 together for this. I didn't spend years cultivating an awesome NES collection only to have a device ruin the carts. Any word on this being fixed in future revisions?

Also the NT is scraping the gold off of my Game Genie. Whoever thought it was a good idea to use metal instead of a composite wasn't thinking this through. I have half of mind to replace the flaps with carbon fiber or another composite material.

I saw the head of Brave Wave on twitter posting his signed Rockman cart inside the NT. I would be sooo scared to scratch that.

Top Bottom