• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Analysis: What really happened in Final Fantasy VIII (SPOILERS)

Still doesn't change the fact that Seifer kept Squall alive to toture him and get info from him, since he was the leader of SeeD's mission at the time. Seifer got possessed and became even more screwed up in the head.

2San

anaron said:
Actually she didn't really show interest, she saw the only lonenly guy in the room, and thought " Hey I have no one to dance with atm either, maybe he will want to dance until i find seifer!" She just leaves him on the dancefloor without even saying her name or asking for his. I would hardly call that "interest"

Do I believe she loved Seifer? no she even said she "thinks" not does. But that doesn't excuse the fact that she did really like him.
Well that's up to interpretation I guess. Even if it didn't start there with the whole mission and such did start somewhere within the first disk. So all I'm saying it's not like she falls for Squall out of nowhere.

Rahul

anaron said:
Well ignoring this theory, a big part of the game is watching Squall grow as a person, and the ending is generally supposed to show he finally gets the happy ending, he grew as a person and not only him, but Rinoa too.

But whatever the case, i disagree that the ending HAS to be this tragic death for it to be good. VIII's ending was great as it is, but it would also be amazing if your theory stands.
Agreed; I wouldn't be so arrogant to claim "my ending" is the only way to view the game. I just wanted to share it so people could go through what I went through.

The time loop was always cool, as was the idea of time kompression. I just think my interpretation of events makes much of what was meaningless meaningful, and so I come away with more value.

expy

Banned
Didn't look like that ice "spike" hit any vital organs by the way it is shown in the game (upper-right torso). Could've survived that.

anaron said:
Relaxed Muscle- It is clearly stated that Sorceresses live a normal live span.(Ultimania)
So no, Rinoa cannot possibly be Ultimecia.

Not, at least Edea shows that it's not a normal live span, sicen she is still (looks) young while Cid clearly shows the past of the time....

And pretty sure Adel didn't live a normal live span, since at least she ruled esthar for quite some time....

anaron

2San said:
Well that's up to interpretation I guess. Even if it didn't start there the whole mission and such did start so all I'm saying it's like she falls for Squall out of nowhere.

That I also disagree with.

It isn't up to interpretation, Rinoa showed she did not care about him at first. And she did not fall for him out of nowhere, you see her slowly develop feelings for him, just because she starts acting different doesn't mean " YUP SHE LUV HIM NOW" the development between the two is fine, though it could have been better.

Not, at least Edea shows that it's not a normal live span, sicen she is still (looks) young while Cid clearly shows the past of the time....

And pretty sure Adel didn't live a normal live span, since at least she ruled esthar for quite some time....

Who's to say Sorceresses cannot change their appearance? look how Adel morphed into this fucked up looking creature. Ultimecia also morphed her appearance. It also shows when you first see Edea that she can grow her hair out.

If you remember Adel had to start searching for girls to rule over for her, because her time was coming soon. So I don't believe she ruled for THAT long.

The ending is absolutely key here.

I happen to have a slightly different theory to the same effect - Squall is completely delusional, and we have no strong reference point for where he is. I have settled on him being on a hospital bed with Rinoa asking if he is alright.

Image Analysis of the Ending
---------------------------------

Its not wise to try to attach psychological meanings to the sequence in the ending, but its worth looking at what occurs. Its not 'recapping his life on acid', I would argue strongly. Time Kompression is a self-justification for the conflation of Rinoa with other women. In images at the end, faces blur to suggest Rinoa is / is part of Squall's anima-archetype. I tend not to buy into Jungian silliness but I feel its strongly suggested in the text here. He cannot fixate on her face, cannot remember it. The interpretation under Squall's Dead is good; that he cannot fixate because he is slipping away. I think there's much stronger evidence to suggest that amnesiac delusion is setting in.

The key weakpoint of the plot - the worst and most abusive part - is the orphanage. Its convenience is insulting. But its so short. A revelation that should reverberate throughout the plot just kicks off and stops. Its barely mentioned again.

The elements come together - Time Kompression, Ultimecia, Orphanage and the memory--disturbed ending under the Squall's Dead model. But they also come together if Squall is a schizoid fantasist.

Cynics would say that if you need to come up with a model, the plot sucks. But the plot doesn't actually suck. It has significant problems that come together with an ending sequence that is probably one of the best in videogaming history - ambiguous but satisfying. It can only do so if the plot is somewhat ambiguous. There are huge issues but the general mood of the game succeeds despite itself.

cosmicblizzard said:
Okay, I've decided. When I replay the game (probably in a few weeks or a month or so) I won't be playing with this theory in mind but actually to try and disprove it. While it has a lot of weight and I may be forced to believe it after another playthrough, I don't want this theory to be true. I like the story as it is (yes, I'm serious) and unlike most of Gaf, I don't think a story has to be bleak or revolve around death to be good. I was rooting for Squall to have a happy ending that is more than a bullshit personal heaven deal.

Things I'll be looking for:
-ANY instance of moombas in disc 1 other than dolls (dolls would only further prove this theory as Squall could bring to life some inanimate object he saw at some point)
-Direct foreshadowing
-Stuff Squall shouldn't known that is shown in disc 1 that ends up in the supposed "dream".

It may be a futile effort, but I'm going to try. I'm sure everyone here other than those that don't want to admit Nojima could be a "competent" writer wants the theory to be true, but wish me luck anyway.
This would reallllly fuck up the theory.

Squall has a dead?

That website in the OP just seems like the person that wrote it wasn't clever enough to understand the plot of the game.

anaron

PumpkinPie said:
Squall has a dead?

That website in the OP just seems like the person that wrote it wasn't clever enough to understand the plot of the game.

What? What you just wrote makes no sense. And the writer has clearly stated he understands the time loop, it's called looking at certain aspects of the story in a different perspective.

Tomodachi

Well I spent some time today thinking about this theory and I must say I think it's pretty solid.

I always despised the plot in FF8 but this interpretation really puts things together nicely enough. And I think it's pretty clear when you put it this way, I think you convinced me more that you really are! You won me over in a few hours :D
It's like my favourite game ever, Siren (by Toyama, the creator of Silent Hill, the first and only real one): you don't get an explanation, you don't get some silly text to guide you hand-by-hand, you just have to interpretate the story. And this one is really tight, it explains a lot of things. Have any of you guys ever seen a David Lynch movie, or Jacob's Ladder? Not that you'd like them seeing how you don't get this theory at all.

Too bad they had to cut some stuff at the end which would have surely shed some light on it. I think maybe this was too mature a story for squaresoft's standards at the time, too depressing (but oh so fascinating). Or maybe they just had to release the damn game before the timeline :(

Anyway, I was just thinking about the (horrible) ending theme... didn't it revolve a lot around dreams and stuff? Just a thought.

(As usual, I'm sorry for my English)

androvsky

It's been a while since I've played FFVIII, so I might have missed something. I'll rephrase my earlier comment in the form of a question: Why is Squall imagining the sorceress that killed him to be some nice lady that worked at the orphanage he may or may not have grown up in?

And I agree with the others, that ice chunk is not a mortal wound. It's very clearly stuck in his right shoulder; a bit of healing magic should fix him right up. And it did.

Tomodachi

androvsky said:
It's been a while since I've played FFVIII, so I might have missed something. I'll rephrase my earlier comment in the form of a question: Why is Squall imagining the sorceress that killed him to be some nice lady that worked at the orphanage he may or may not have grown up in?
Stockholm syndrome?

anaron said:
What? What you just wrote makes no sense. And the writer has clearly stated he understands the time loop, it's called looking at certain aspects of the story in a different perspective.

No, its inserting a completely separate external plotpoint into a game that makes no motion to even suggest it, ignoring an entire culture of entertainments penchant for heroes to survive gigantic piercing wounds, leak 20 pints of blood in the process and just walk it off after a day. Its switching off entire sectors of your brain, ignoring gigantic flaws with the theory and just listening to that whispering "maybe..".

A far better example of a game that actually does this "character was dead from the start" plot is Panzer Dragoon Saga.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
cosmicblizzard said:
Just because you don't like his stories doesn't mean Nojima isn't a competent writer. His work on Glory of Heracles is good.

Actually that would make Nojima a bad writer to him, wouldnt it. He also wrote KH2, which is a shithole he will never be redeemed from in my eyes.

anaron

androvsky said:

And I agree with the others, that ice chunk is not a mortal wound. It's very clearly stuck in his right shoulder; a bit of healing magic should fix him right up. And it did.

The problem with the ice wound is it is never talked about. Even Squall is shocked about it, wondering what happened. How can there be no wound at all? If were putting this theory into effect, it's not like he just thinks this right away, when he learns about it, it might be him trying to justify why this sorceress is doing what she did.

But I'm not the best at explaining this, especially since I'm not a believer yet.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Himuro said:
Note: this is why FF8 has the best story in the series.

It is the only one which has so many theories and interpretations and is ambiguous enough that it allows it. The others are straight edge and linear.

Say what you will about FF8, but it's still got discussion like this 11 years after its release. Even its haters can't forget it.

Discussion of dumb theories to make up for a dumb surface narrative doesnt make it suddenly good writing.

Sword Familiar

178% of NeoGAF posters don't understand statistics
Himuro said:

It is the only one which has so many theories and interpretations and is ambiguous enough that it allows it. The others are straight edge and linear.

Say what you will about FF8, but it's still got discussion like this 11 years after its release. Even its haters can't forget it.

Hey, the more holes you leave the more shit you can dump into them. Just proves how bad the story REALLY is.

Rahul said:
I think there's a part to this called storytelling.

Yes. "Storytelling," that's a useful word. It is composed of two root words: "story" and "telling." Let's focus on that latter one: storytelling does not, in fact, involve leaving things out of the telling entirely and requiring people to perform insane plot analysis in order to "unlock" the true, secret "underlying" meaning of the narrative; it involves telling the readers or viewers a story.

Some of the stuff that happens after disc 2 starts is probably unnecessary if you demand that only things happen that Squall would want, but there's a certain amount of world building and basic build up involved. Who knows why?

Well, I know why: because you made up a random theory to "explain" why a badly-written story was actually super-good and like all such interpretations, it ignores the bits that don't fit while investing an insane amount of importance into even minor elements that do.

Why is "world-building" necessary in a storyline that isn't real? What is the purpose of spending time on irrelevant side-stories that hypothetical-Squall, in such a situation, would never waste a moment imagining? If this is the ultimate purpose of the narrative -- the entire reason for the story's existence -- why are there so few clues that no one playing the game upon its release understood this purpose, and so many elements that quite straightforwardly push towards a literal interpretation of the story?

The theory you're offering isn't a new or clever idea; it's been used in many works before, like Owl Creek Bridge mentioned above (the Wikipedia entry even lists many of them), or the Gilliam film
Brazil
, or even the episode of House
"No Reason"
. What you will see, consistently, in these stories, are two parts: a dramatic (either immediate or gradual) change in tone and thematic content to mark the shift into an "unreal" part of the narrative, and a reveal (and emotional catharsis) at the end that explains what happened (so the observer can actually interpret the narrative they've just experienced[/i]) and, more importantly, why, so we can understand how this knowledge aids the narrative.

If your theory transformed the bloated, inconsistent, meandering narrative of FF8 into a taut, purposeful story where every element had immense resonance and purpose, that'd be one thing, but you're just transforming it into a bloated, inconsistent, meandering narrative that also requires secret arcane knowledge and in-depth analysis outside of the actual experience of playing the game to "unlock."

Why are we interested in this story if he's dead? That's not how it works.

Sure it is. Ultimately the premise of any story that's told is that there is a conclusion that makes the time and effort invested in exploring it worthwhile. When someone drones on and on about events with no coherence or relevance like that kid in Psychonauts, we say they "don't know how to tell a story" because a successful story innately possesses some purpose that both compels you to follow it to its conclusion and in some way leaves you satisfied even after it is over.

FFVIII has a quite cliche story, told badly and laden down with nonsensical and bizarre elements, but ultimately there's at least a few basic story threads you can follow through it: guy-gets-girl, jerk-becomes-nice-guy, hero-defeats-villain, acquaintances-become-friends. Your take, on the other hand, doesn't really have any narrative purpose -- it's the story of a guy who was an asshole, and then died, and then made up a bunch of shit which ultimately didn't matter because he was dead, and none of the actual mysteries of the living world that the dead asshole was involved in before he died were solved before he died and deprived us of the opportunity to learn about them.

EDIT: Or, shorter me:

HK-47 said:
Discussion of dumb theories to make up for a dumb surface narrative doesnt make it suddenly good writing.

anaron

SecretBonusPoint said:
Its not like Cloud survived the exact same kind of wound in the previous Final Fantasy is it.

Really? comparing VII to VIII?

Then lets also take into affect that Aerith died immediatly from getting stabbed in the stomach. Who's to say Squall couldn't have died right after, and it wouldn't help that he fell off the parade float, which would do further damage.

Sword Familiar

Himuro said:
Not a large wound? Whut.

That wouldn't leave a large wound?

LOL

Looks like it went straight through his jacket, but missed his body. There being no blood supports this theory, too, which in turn explains the "no wound" part in disc 2. The new jacket was provided to mess with his
your
mind. :p

androvsky

Himuro said:
Not a large wound? Whut.

That wouldn't leave a large wound?

LOL

Let's recap:

Even if he's alive from the wound, what about the fall?

For an anime/jrpg/anything short of a serious drama, getting nailed in the shoulder like that is cinematic shorthand for "don't worry, he'll pull through". The fall just means he gets separated from his friends.

Men survive chest/torso stab wounds, women do not. This is the way of japanese entertainment. You have to really be selecting your frame of reference to ignore such a basic trope of the games country of origin.

androvsky

SecretBonusPoint said:
Men survive chest/torso stab wounds, women do not. This is the way of japanese entertainment. You have to really be selecting your frame of reference to ignore such a basic trope of the games country of origin.

And if the protagonist is a samurai, nothing will kill him except for suicide or a gun (typically fired off-screen). :)

anaron

SecretBonusPoint said:

Great, thats not the point.

Yes he COULD of survived, which I believe he did. My point being is, that there is easily a chance he did not survive, especially with a fall like that. To say "it's the way of japanese entertainment" is really a piss poor arguement, when in no way does that suddenly disprove that he died.

Rebochan

anaron said:

Yes he COULD of survived, which I believe he did. My point being is, that there is easily a chance he did not survive, especially with a fall like that. To say "it's the way of japanese entertainment" is really a piss poor arguement, when in no way does that suddenly disprove that he died.

The game shows Squall alive and well. The logical conclusion is that he is alive and well, not to conclude that he really died and we are watching his dream.

To be fair, the falling thing is a common trope.

RPG cliches said:
Falling Rule
An RPG character can fall any distance onto anything without suffering anything worse than brief unconsciousness. In fact, falling a huge distance is an excellent cure for otherwise fatal wounds -- anyone who you see shot, stabbed, or mangled and then tossed off a cliff is guaranteed to return later in the game with barely a scratch.

I'm not saying that disproves the theory, just throwing it out there.

androvsky

anaron said:

No, there's no chance. Characters in action/fantasy movies/games don't die from wounds like that. The shots are set up very clearly (thanks to Himuro for the perfect screenshots) to put the audience on a very precise emotional path:

1. Oh crap, she's gonna nail someone!
2. Oh crap, giant chunk of ice through Squall's chest! They killed the main char...
3. Oh, it went into his shoulder. He'll be fine once I change discs.

If the audience was meant to think for a moment past shot 2 that he was dead, the chunk of ice would be in the middle of his chest or stomach. Putting it in his shoulder is a very clear, very deliberate way of saying "He's okay".

edit: I should say main characters. If you're a sidekick, a shoulder wound like means that you'll stop and hold off the enemy while the hero escapes. Or, for older characters, sit down and start rambling for about half an hour while they bleed out...

anaron

Rebochan said:
The game shows Squall alive and well. The logical conclusion is that he is alive and well, not to conclude that he really died and we are watching his dream.

Oh I'm not saying that he did die, I believe he is alive and well, and I don't right now support this theory. But I'm not going to ignore it like it's nothing, there is weird points in the game that supports the theory, and it's fun to discuss it.

But with all this BS that the game has terrible writing, and it needs this to cover it up is what bothers me about this. The game does have a known storyline, and it's still a pretty damn good one.

Cosmic- That's a really interesting post. While if true, most of the time they survive, Squalls wound would more then likely do more damage to him if he falls on it.

Sword Familiar

I'll go with the "it went cleanly under his armpit" theory before I'll support the "Squall dies" one. :lol

Rebochan

anaron said:
Oh I'm not saying that he did die, I believe he is alive and well, and I don't right now support this theory. But I'm not going to ignore it like it's nothing, there is weird points in the game that supports the theory, and it's fun to discuss it.

But with all this BS that the game has terrible writing, and it needs this to cover it up is what bothers me about this. The game does have a known storyline, and it's still a pretty damn good one.

Cosmic- That's a really interesting post. While if true, most of the time they survive, Squalls wound would more then likely do more damage to him if he falls on it.

I love the game's storyline as it is. These theories bug me because they take a perfectly good story and try to shape it into something really stupid.

FF8 haters of course hate this stuff because they already hated the story in the place.

Which means that it's really, really sad when I'm nodding in agreement with the people in this thread that hated FF8.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Final Fantasy VI:

Terra is dead.

...Killed by Tritoch the Esper at the beginning of the game.

Terra is a woman, born as a sorceress, who, in an explosive accident, lost her family at a young age, as well as her ability to hear or speak. Now older, but isolated from much of the world, she has no other job prospects than to use her powers as a mercenary. She hates killing, but nonetheless as a non-communicative woman with no other skill than magic, she must fight for the Empire to put food on her table. When she is killed on a mission to Narshe, she enters into a fantasy world where she dreams that she has not been forced into killing work by economic circumstance, but rather by "slave crown" technology which the sinister Empire has used to rob her of her memories, her will, and even her speech and hearing! It changes the tragedy of her circumstances into a situation where an evil "other" is to blame. This evil is most personified by Kefka, a representation of the cruel world of circumstance which robbed her of her family, her hearing and speech, and forced her into immoral work. Terra imagines the world finds glee in tormenting her, and this is embodied in the clown general Kefka.

In this fantasy world, she can talk and hear just fine, and her common magic abilities are regarded as incredibly special.... It is a fantasy where her disabilities and economic situation are wished away, and her one skillful ability is seen as critical to the future of the entire planet! The introduction at the beginning of the game is actually speaking about the world of Terra's dreams. A group of rebels organize around her, really aspects of her psyche which seek to protect her from the Empire's "employment", and she ventures on a journey where she is the central figure of importance for the future of the world.

The isolation she feels as a disabled woman is channeled into a fantasy where her unique circumstances are actually a wonderful thing... she isn't merely some sad cripple, but rather, she is the result of a union between a human and an "angel"..... she is part-Esper. This comes from the feeling that she is different from other human beings, and isolated from them... She imagines she is actually a heavenly creature playing the role of a human. It makes her isolation seem to have meaning when she perceives herself in this way.

Terra's fantasy will eventually lead to the cruel forces of "Kefka" dominating over her world. Her story seems to come to an end in Thamasa.. she seems to have a happy moment with her protectors, including the noble General Leo... but Terra's inability to accept such a "perfect ending" causes her to sabotage it... she knows that life is cruel.. it must be... and so she causes the embodiment of cruel circumstances, Kefka, to rule over her entire world.. and bring it to ruin. The mental aspects which protect her, the rebels, are scattered far across this wasteland. She even loses herself... she visualizes herself as Celes, the former Imperial Soldier, who is basically who Terra wishes she was. Celes is Terra's idealized self... One who similarly works for the Empire with confidence. One who is similarly "abused" by the Empire (as Terra perceives that the Empire "forces" her to kill.. for money).. but Celes is a stronger version of Terra, and she simply turns around and leaves the Empire of her own free will. This is what Terra wishes she could have done.

In this world of ruin, she desires strength, so she becomes Celes. At first, Terra isn't fit to bear the burden of being a stronger woman... she contemplates suicide, as Celes. But eventually she steps up to a position of strength, and sets out on a jouney to gather her protectors. She eventually encounters her true self, lost in a maternal fantasy about caring for orphans, and she becomes herself again to complete one final mission: The defeat of Kefka.. or rather, the conquering of the belief that one is ruled by the circumstances of a cruel world. She will defeat Kefka in order to reassert her dignity, no matter what circumstances... Whether she is poor, disabled, or even dead, she will regain her self-worth no matter what cards life has dealt her.

The defeat of Kefka returns her afterlife to a world of blue skies and balance. She allows herself the peace which she couldn't believe back in Thamasa. Now she knows that, though her life is over, at least she could find dignity, even in a life which brought bad luck upon her. She needn't blame life for her problems any more. She is free, regardless of any external circumstances.

^ See anyone can do this. "Squall is dead" is probably a better theory... but damned if you couldn't find "alternative" tellings of most stories out there...

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
charlequin said:
Yes. "Storytelling," that's a useful word. It is composed of two root words: "story" and "telling." Let's focus on that latter one: storytelling does not, in fact, involve leaving things out of the telling entirely and requiring people to perform insane plot analysis in order to "unlock" the true, secret "underlying" meaning of the narrative; it involves telling the readers or viewers a story.

Well, I know why: because you made up a random theory to "explain" why a badly-written story was actually super-good and like all such interpretations, it ignores the bits that don't fit while investing an insane amount of importance into even minor elements that do.

Why is "world-building" necessary in a storyline that isn't real? What is the purpose of spending time on irrelevant side-stories that hypothetical-Squall, in such a situation, would never waste a moment imagining? If this is the ultimate purpose of the narrative -- the entire reason for the story's existence -- why are there so few clues that no one playing the game upon its release understood this purpose, and so many elements that quite straightforwardly push towards a literal interpretation of the story?

The theory you're offering isn't a new or clever idea; it's been used in many works before, like Owl Creek Bridge mentioned above (the Wikipedia entry even lists many of them), or the Gilliam film
Brazil
, or even the episode of House
"No Reason"
. What you will see, consistently, in these stories, are two parts: a dramatic (either immediate or gradual) change in tone and thematic content to mark the shift into an "unreal" part of the narrative, and a reveal (and emotional catharsis) at the end that explains what happened (so the observer can actually interpret the narrative they've just experienced[/i]) and, more importantly, why, so we can understand how this knowledge aids the narrative.

If your theory transformed the bloated, inconsistent, meandering narrative of FF8 into a taut, purposeful story where every element had immense resonance and purpose, that'd be one thing, but you're just transforming it into a bloated, inconsistent, meandering narrative that also requires secret arcane knowledge and in-depth analysis outside of the actual experience of playing the game to "unlock."

Sure it is. Ultimately the premise of any story that's told is that there is a conclusion that makes the time and effort invested in exploring it worthwhile. When someone drones on and on about events with no coherence or relevance like that kid in Psychonauts, we say they "don't know how to tell a story" because a successful story innately possesses some purpose that both compels you to follow it to its conclusion and in some way leaves you satisfied even after it is over.

FFVIII has a quite cliche story, told badly and laden down with nonsensical and bizarre elements, but ultimately there's at least a few basic story threads you can follow through it: guy-gets-girl, jerk-becomes-nice-guy, hero-defeats-villain, acquaintances-become-friends. Your take, on the other hand, doesn't really have any narrative purpose -- it's the story of a guy who was an asshole, and then died, and then made up a bunch of shit which ultimately didn't matter because he was dead, and none of the actual mysteries of the living world that the dead asshole was involved in before he died were solved before he died and deprived us of the opportunity to learn about them.

EDIT: Or, shorter me:

Thank you for the expanded explanation, longer me.

androvsky

Rebochan said:
I love the game's storyline as it is. These theories bug me because they take a perfectly good story and try to shape it into something really stupid.

FF8 haters of course hate this stuff because they already hated the story in the place.

Which means that it's really, really sad when I'm nodding in agreement with the people in this thread that hated FF8.

Actually, I love FF8; don't like some of the story elements, but on the other hand I love others too.

Hey do you remember that part in FF8 after battling a tank, your separated-from-Squall party on this missile base are shown to still be there when a shot of the entire thing going up in a mushroom cloud is revealed?

When they turn up again in the plot, is this because:

a) it is a shonen-level story where characters will survive because they have to
or
b) it is all an elaborate mental illusion inside Squalls mind because he realised he sent his friends to their deaths, and for the rest of the game he is just imagining they are still alive to soothe his shattered psyche.

anaron

Rebochan said:

I disagree this theory would make the storyline stupid. But I do prefer the time loop over the Squall dies theory. I think this just more of a fun analyzation (atleast for me) on what the plot could have been. But I'm the only one who would still want Squall alive at the end, not just dies.

anaron said:
I disagree this theory would make the storyline stupid. But I do prefer the time loop over the Squall dies theory. I think this just more of a fun analyzation (atleast for me) on what the plot could have been. But I'm the only one who would still want Squall alive at the end, not just dies.

Believe me, you aren't. Gaf hates him but he's one of my favorite characters in the series. I thought he grew enough to deserve a happy ending.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
As far as I can remember, the only game that actually features a dead main character is
Panzer Dragoon Saga
. But then, the game's story is still good because he's not having a stupid dream. He's being animated by a divine force that he knows will leave him as soon as he finishes his quest.

He accepts that and saves the world despite knowing he has a death sentence hanging over him.
Edge
is the man.

So... I'm just gonna ask again..
If everything 'weird' and fantasyish happens after disc 1, then why do 3 characters all have the same dream at the same time? That seems a little strange, no? And I find it a little funny that things like moomba and all of these other 'fantasy' elements that are illegibly unbelievable (or out of place) are being picked out as evidence.. since it's.. you know a fantasy game with giant robots and teenagers summoning monsters from their bodies.
Interesting theory though.

Rahul

Wolves Evolve said:
The ending is absolutely key here.

I happen to have a slightly different theory to the same effect - Squall is completely delusional, and we have no strong reference point for where he is. I have settled on him being on a hospital bed with Rinoa asking if he is alright.

Image Analysis of the Ending
---------------------------------

Its not wise to try to attach psychological meanings to the sequence in the ending, but its worth looking at what occurs. Its not 'recapping his life on acid', I would argue strongly. Time Kompression is a self-justification for the conflation of Rinoa with other women. In images at the end, faces blur to suggest Rinoa is / is part of Squall's anima-archetype. I tend not to buy into Jungian silliness but I feel its strongly suggested in the text here. He cannot fixate on her face, cannot remember it. The interpretation under Squall's Dead is good; that he cannot fixate because he is slipping away. I think there's much stronger evidence to suggest that amnesiac delusion is setting in.

The key weakpoint of the plot - the worst and most abusive part - is the orphanage. Its convenience is insulting. But its so short. A revelation that should reverberate throughout the plot just kicks off and stops. Its barely mentioned again.

The elements come together - Time Kompression, Ultimecia, Orphanage and the memory--disturbed ending under the Squall's Dead model. But they also come together if Squall is a schizoid fantasist.

Cynics would say that if you need to come up with a model, the plot sucks. But the plot doesn't actually suck. It has significant problems that come together with an ending sequence that is probably one of the best in videogaming history - ambiguous but satisfying. It can only do so if the plot is somewhat ambiguous. There are huge issues but the general mood of the game succeeds despite itself.

Thanks for this insightful post.

One thing about the ending that make me think they were trying to say Squall is in time compression than Squall is having his last breaths is the rewindy sounds and effects. I could see you saying that's him reminiscing, his life flashing before his eyes, but it seems to say more that he is going through time compression.

Scythesurge said:
One thing about the ending that make me think they were trying to say Squall is in time compression than Squall is having his last breaths is the rewindy sounds and effects. I could see you saying that's him reminiscing, his life flashing before his eyes, but it seems to say more that he is going through time compression.

This is what I think too.

2San

SilentProtagonist said:
So... I'm just gonna ask again..
If everything 'weird' and fantasyish happens after disc 1, then why do 3 characters all have the same dream at the same time? That seems a little strange, no? And I find it a little funny that things like moomba and all of these other 'fantasy' elements that are illegibly unbelievable (or out of place) are being picked out as evidence.. since it's.. you know a fantasy game with giant robots and teenagers summoning monsters from their bodies.
Interesting theory though.
Indeed, normally you'd think the stuffed toys are based on the real life counterpart.
cosmicblizzard said:
Believe me, you aren't. Gaf hates him but he's one of my favorite characters in the series. I thought he grew enough to deserve a happy ending.
Yeah, I mean you go trough all of that drama and it's all a dream? If it where true, I'd be pissed. :O As with most games that are dream all your hard work just becomes pointless.

Rahul

To the naysayers:

There are too many posts (haha) here for me to respond to each one individually, but I welcome the discussion and I'm glad I posted this because at least it, as Himuro noted, got people talking about what is essentially a frickin' ancient game come 2010.

It's too bad some of you fail to discuss it at a mature level and keep personal attacks separate from rebuking the analysis. I wonder what would have happened if I started this thread with "everyone who doesn't take this away from the game is an idiot"? I'd much rather have a discussion about the topic at hand, as some posters have done, than explaining why I'm not an idiot just throwing "external" ideas at the "stupid narrative".

TheExodu5

Banned
Himuro said:

:lol

Top Bottom