• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anandtech: AMD To Launch New Desktop GPU This Quarter (Q2’15) With HBM

So its looking like the initial batch of Zen should be somewhere in between Ivy Bridge & Haswell IPC if all goes well. As long as they're not too far off Skylake and hit value targets at a few key price points I'd say this could finally get interesting for the first time in years. Its about time AMD.

b0bbyJ03

how many people here have 290x cards? how are they doing? happy with your purchase? i would consider switching if these are good.

I just bought a GTX 970 about a month ago, and can't imagine having to upgrade for the next two years. I have 24' 1080p monitor and a 50' 1080p Plasma TV so outside of down-sampling from 1440p I don't really have any need for high resolution performance. I imagine that by the time I get a new TV in two years, 4K GPUs will be common enough that I wont have to spend an arm and a leg to get decent FPS at that resolution.

I've been debating whether or not to get a 970 for months now (I largely haven't done so for financial reasons), but if AMD comes out swinging with these cards soon, I may go Team Red.

I think the much more interesting product is the 400 series if their claim about double efficiency is true.

Means we could potentially see Titan X-like performance at under 200 watts.

will it be stupid to buy a skylake and then an amd fiji gpu instead of an amd cpu/gpu combo?

Why would that be stupid? Mix n match how u prefer. I have a GTX 960 coupled with a Athlon II 760K in one HTPC. I have a i5-4690k + GTX 970 in my primary gaming computer, but may replace the 970 with a 390x.

UnrealEck

What's higher memory bandwidth going to bring? Very slightly better performance at ultra high resolutions?
Is graphics memory bandwidth of current cards really not enough?

It's hard to say without knowing at which frequencies Zen will be running and even then it won't be easy to say how fast the actual cores are. You could have all the IPC you want, but if your CPU is running at a low frequency, you still end up with a slow CPU. Putting it really simply, IPC * frequency = core performance. And that doesn't even include stuff like cache performance and other complicated stuff. We'll just have to wait until Zen is out to see how well it does against Intel. If AMD can come close enough at a good price, they've done well considering the state they're in imo.

They're claiming big improvements in cache performance, so I'd guess a healthy portion of their IPC gains are simply less pipeline stalls.

Using those numbers, Tom's hardware CPU charts, and assuming the 40% are true, Zen should be at least comparable IPC-wise to Ivy Bridge.

If they can reach good clocks and release an 8 core consumer version in 2016 at a decent price point that could be enough to be competitive.

That would be neat.

Intel's IPCs have largely stagnated, have they not?

What's higher memory bandwidth going to bring? Very slightly better performance at ultra high resolutions?

I think i read somewhere that for GPU to not be bottlenecked by memory it needs to deliver 700GB/s or something like that. It will also help with 4k given you need to transfer higher details assets and a lot more rendering data.

golem

how many people here have 290x cards? how are they doing? happy with your purchase? i would consider switching if these are good.
290s are good cards. Performance seems about on par with 970s and didn't have any abnormal driver problems. I moved away from them in the end however because Nvidias offerings had better support for 4k and downsampling. I really should get around to selling mine soon lol

AJLma

I had a 290 for a while, never gave me a problem.

Higher framerates at higher resolutions. The 390x most likely going to have a ton of shaders(R9 290x has 2880, the Titan X has 3072), so with AMD's supposed bandwidth efficiency improvements it'll be able to put them to use.

It'll be interesting to see how all of this plays with DX12.

yeah but isn't there any proprietary tech advantage for doing a cpu/gpu combo?

like, oh you can do this 50% more efficient if it were an amd cpu working with an amd gpu! you know...

Nope. Nothing like that exists in current tech.

In fact, it has been better to by an intel processor with an AMD GPU for almost a decade now.

Good thing I haven't upgraded yet.

Looks like this holiday season could have some fantastic deals on older GPU's or we'll see what these new ones come out price wise.

$300 is my limit though. Maybe $350 if the jump is substantial

I haven't bought an AMD card in over 10 years, but damn if I hope this card doesn't come out and at least compete aggressively with what Nvidia has on the horizon. Once/if Nvidia gains a monopoly on the market, it's bad news for us all. So I hope AMD brings the red back from the red. I'm in the market for a new card myself, this comes out soon and I have been eyeing the 980 Ti, but I'll wait to see benchmarks that compare that to this and probably just buy whichever performs better.

Randam

Well that's what high end GPUs come down to... 100$ for 10% increase in performance... so what's your point?
That you would pay 300 more for 10%.

And what about a 500-600 $ card from and amd with more power?
Would you still prefer a 980?

Herne

Looking forward to that sweet, sweet 390X. I hope AMD does well with their new cards and new CPU's.

rabhw

Cmon AMD, Competition is great, and very important!. I am an NVIDIA owner, but i want to see something mix it up and keep nvidia on their toes.

LETS GO!

Completely agree with this. Very happy with my Intel/NVIDIA setup but I really really hope AMD knocks it out of the park with these releases, it's badly needed.

Using those numbers, Tom's hardware CPU charts, and assuming the 40% are true, Zen should be at least comparable IPC-wise to Ivy Bridge.

If they can reach good clocks and release an 8 core consumer version in 2016 at a decent price point that could be enough to be competitive.

That would be neat.

I'm really pleased that they're ditching integrated graphics in their high end chips. It makes a mainstream 8C/16T CPU a real possibility at a competitive price point.

With AMD's strategy of all FX processors being unlocked a 4C/8T Zen CPU could be a fantastic low cost gaming CPU if you can hit 4ghz+ on air.

I've said it before but as long as they can hit at least Ivy Bridge level IPC, they continue to offer unlocked chips and stock clocks are in the 3-3.5ghz range, then they're onto a real winner in the enthusiast/gaming market. Intel desperately need the kick in the arse, they've been allowed to remain complacent for far too long.

Memory bandwidth is more important than size.

Not gonna buy AMD gpus until they sort out their software but if this thing beats Nvidia to the ground in benchmarks (which it will probably do when it comes to higher resolutions), things will be great.

Iastfan112

Neo Member

I'm happy with my 290. Only minor qualm I have is that it runs hot and loud though these issues are somewhat alleviated if you don't have a reference model like I do.

OBias

Better VR performance, you say? I guess I'm going to wait for this new generation of GPUs instead of buying R9 290, to be prepared for Vive and Rift.

I've been happy with my 290X. No issues.
I don't know anything about the driver issues people complain about all the time. I've never had a problem outside of trying to get KOTOR to play... But that game is very old.

If Zen turns out to be a worthy upgrade from my OCd 2500K I may have to get a 390X to go with it...

If Zen really only comes in HT'd variants, the pricing holds up, and the IPC is truly that large of a jump... That means that the chraper than i5 priced Zen CPUs will be 4C8T with almost i7 performance and the cheaper than i7 priced will be 8C16T...

Hesemonni

Banned
If it were to be a Q2 release aren't we starting to run out of time a little bit? Shouldn't there be leaks left and right?

pestul

Hopefully their flagship cards will have more than 4GB of HBM though.. 4GB isn't going to cut it with newer games and VR on the horizon.

They also claim their new Zen CPU core has 40% IPC improvements.

There isn't anything incredible about that, considering that Haswell is about 40% faster clock-for-clock than Nehalem.

Assuming Zen debuts in 2016 as planned, Intel will already be on the CPU generation after Skylake so unless they have some amazing clockspeeds they will still be behind Intel at that point.

So some back of the napkin IPC maths.

AMD FX 8320 3.5ghz (4ghz turbo)
Intel 4670k 3.5ghz (3.8ghz turbo)

Now the FX turbo is higher but Intel's turbo is much more reliable and consistent so let's just say that balances out (not ideal I know).

In Anandtech Bench, the FX chip scores:

1.05 Cinebench single threaded 11.5 vs. 1.7 for the Intel chip.

So let's assume a 10% IPC increase to Steamroller and 5% IPC gain for Excavator, add on the 40% for Zen and we're now upto 1.697.

It definitely gets you in the same ballpark as Haswell. IPC below Haswell but above Ivy Bridge would be more than enough for AMD to become competitive again as long as they can deliver decent clock speeds.

Thraktor

On a sidenote, I wonder if there's any interest in putting HBM sockets on motherboards and/or GPU cards. I'm guessing maybe for the former, but no for the latter.

No in both cases, as HBM is specifically designed to go on-package with the GPU (or CPU) die.

HMC (Hybrid Memory Cube) is a similar high-bandwidth memory tech which would be able to be socketed like DDR, though.

This is the most interesting part to me:

They'll still need some ridiculous power management, but saving space on memory should allow people to put the highest end equipment in much smaller cases. Rad.

Yeah, looking at the R9 290X I could see them chopping two inches or more off it by shedding the GDDR modules.

One interesting hypothetical is that HBM makes APUs with decent mid-range graphics an actual possibility. Integrated graphics are always going to be bottlenecked by having to survive on meagre DDR3 bandwidth shared with the CPU, but by placing HBM on the APU package you could eliminate the bandwidth bottleneck and throw as much GPU power on there as die size and thermal limits allow. Of course it would be absurdly expensive at the moment, but in a couple of years it's a real possibility.

If it were to be a Q2 release aren't we starting to run out of time a little bit? Shouldn't there be leaks left and right?

i know, right? we're almost halfway throughout the quarter..

i'll wait until e3 to see whether or not i'll buy a ps4 or build a pc this year. ugh. although i am leaning towards pc and then ps4 will be next year or maybe the year after. $80 per game in canada isn't helping.

Top Bottom