• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anandtech: AMD To Launch New Desktop GPU This Quarter (Q2’15) With HBM

how many people here have 290x cards? how are they doing? happy with your purchase? i would consider switching if these are good.

I've had a 290x since last July and really like it. I upgraded from an old 5770 and I can tell this card, like the 5770, will last me a long time.

There isn't anything incredible about that, considering that Haswell is about 40% faster clock-for-clock than Nehalem.

Assuming Zen debuts in 2016 as planned, Intel will already be on the CPU generation after Skylake so unless they have some amazing clockspeeds they will still be behind Intel at that point.

Considering neither Intel or AMD have delivered anything approaching a 40% IPC increase in a single generation since the Core Duo a decade ago, it is absolutely an incredible step forward for AMD. Long overdue and desperately needed but a fantastic and significant leap forward all the same.

No one is expecting or predicting AMD to take Intel's performance crown but they don't have to in order to make things interesting again.

Let's just hope they haven't gone too far the other way and made all of these IPC gains at the expense of clock speed.

What's this bullshit about AMD not being competitive in the GPU segment? AMD and Nvidia have been trading blows back and forth for the last 3 or 4 years. CPU is another story.

What's this bullshit about AMD not being competitive in the GPU segment? AMD and Nvidia have been trading blows back and forth for the last 3 or 4 years. CPU is another story.

Not really. AMD used to have better hardware but with worse software back in Nvidia's FX days. But now, and for good part of last half decade, Nvidia equaled or bettered them in hardware and has kept up their advantage on software side. The declining AMD GPU marketshare reflects this.

Ty4on

Mostly because AMD have been so agressive with price. Nvidia managed similar performance with smaller chips, less memory bandwidth and lower power consumption (680 vs 7970). That was Kepler, with Maxwell they have cards using a 256bit bus beating AMD cards with a much more expensive 512bit bus.

wachie

If it were to be a Q2 release aren't we starting to run out of time a little bit? Shouldn't there be leaks left and right?
Take this with some Nvidia's element (salt) but there was some guy on reddit who posted a screenshot of the display information of a (supposedly) R9 390.

The post was titled "All I can say is It's a thing that every gamer needs.(R9 390)". He then went onto say ...
"It outperforms GTX 980 a lot. gtx 980 [------] R9 390 [---------]"
"It's improvement in compute. Can't test in games because new win10 build crashes when launching games."
"More news after 4 weeks in Taiwan. :)"
"v1.0 had 4 GB of VRAM, and now has 8GB, but because of low yields of HBM it will take more time to create huge amount of cards."

Read at your own risk - https://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/comments/34tpq6/all_i_can_say_is_its_a_thing_that_every_gamer/

after nvidia fucking me with that 0.5gb vram in my 970 and being blatantly deceitful about it, i'm watching amd closely. i'm sure there are others in the same boat

Caayn

how many people here have 290x cards? how are they doing? happy with your purchase? i would consider switching if these are good.
Used to own a Crossfire set-up of two 290x reference cards. If you can keep them cool the performance is really good.

The only problem they had was that the stock cooler couldn't keep the cards cool without producing a lot of sound. Cranking up the fan speed you could easily have them running at max speed without throttling but at the cost of higher noise production.

I've never had problems with AMD GPUs, reading the internet makes it look like I'm one of the lucky ones.

Thraktor

It seems so.
Sad to see their ARM offer has been killed until 2017. I don't know how it bodes for the next Nintendo handheld.

AMD are still shipping A57-based chips this year, it's their custom K12 core which has been pushed back. I wouldn't have really expected that in a Nintendo handheld anyway, as it seems to be oriented towards the server market, which means less emphasis on the kind of power-saving functionality which you'd want in a handheld.

I've never had problems with AMD GPUs, reading the internet makes it look like I'm one of the lucky ones.
The hardware itself I feel was never the problem with AMD GPUs. Hell, when it comes to pure hardware reliability, I'd say AMD has Nvidia beat, even with higher TDP.

It's the software that's been the problem, especially once you try to use the GPUs for anything other than gaming or bitcoin mining. It's not really a problem for vanilla gaming though. However, lots of heavy graphics mods like ENBs still have issues with AMD cards.

sfried

290s are good cards. Performance seems about on par with 970s and didn't have any abnormal driver problems. I moved away from them in the end however because Nvidias offerings had better support for 4k and downsampling. I really should get around to selling mine soon lol

If you do, hook me up! I'd be interested in an upgrade soon.

There isn't anything incredible about that, considering that Haswell is about 40% faster clock-for-clock than Nehalem.

Assuming Zen debuts in 2016 as planned, Intel will already be on the CPU generation after Skylake so unless they have some amazing clockspeeds they will still be behind Intel at that point.

Compared to Intel, no. But a 40% increase in one generation is extremely good. They'll still be behind but can compete on a $/perf metric again.

No in both cases, as HBM is specifically designed to go on-package with the GPU (or CPU) die.

HMC (Hybrid Memory Cube) is a similar high-bandwidth memory tech which would be able to be socketed like DDR, though.

Yeah, fun marketing acronyms. 2.5D memory is what I'll call it :)

AMD are still shipping A57-based chips this year, it's their custom K12 core which has been pushed back. I wouldn't have really expected that in a Nintendo handheld anyway, as it seems to be oriented towards the server market, which means less emphasis on the kind of power-saving functionality which you'd want in a handheld.

Yeah, I meant their low-powered A57 chips. They were supposed to have low-power ARM APU but it seems this isn't in their plans anymore.
As for Seattle, it's still on the way for H2.

Too bad, I guess the speculation for the next handheld continues :p

Saintruski

Unconfirmed Member
curious wish it could poll, is AMD banking on VR being more than a niche really smart marketing?

BTW does anyone chill at the place called wccftech....that place is hardcore AMD fanboy it has made me hate AMD...sadly it's a piss poor crowd there but I wish the best for AMD

Momentary

Banned
curious wish it could poll, is AMD banking on VR being more than a niche really smart marketing?

BTW does anyone chill at the place called wccftech....that place is hardcore AMD fanboy it has made me hate AMD...

VR is a tech that will be valuable to other industries that actually make more profit than videogames.

WCCFTech in general is gutter trash.

Saintruski

Unconfirmed Member
VR is a tech that will be valuable to other industries that actually make more profit than videogames.

WCCFTech in general is gutter trash.

I can see the oppurtunies in other markets but is AMD able to transition out of its primary industry? they need something new do they have that capital or market share anymore to do such things? To lead the way? when they open their mouth will people listen or will people look to Nvidia and Intel where the market share and capital is at. VR has come and gone multiple times, it's a risk and still a niche until someone can make it otherwise.

Yeah, I meant their low-powered A57 chips. They were supposed to have low-power ARM APU but it seems this isn't in their plans anymore.
As for Seattle, it's still on the way for H2.

Too bad, I guess the speculation for the next handheld continues :p

Yup, as Thraktor said, they've still got the A57-based Seattle coming soon. Thing is, that's still on 28nm. I wonder how much effort it takes to port it to a dif node. Of course, 28nm next year is a possibility...

Yup, as Thraktor said, they've still got the A57-based Seattle coming soon. Thing is, that's still on 28nm. I wonder how much effort it takes to port it to a dif node. Of course, 28nm next year is a possibility...

Seattle is too big. And it's not only because of it being a 28nm part.

Seattle is too big. And it's not only because of it being a 28nm part.

Oops, I was only talking about the CPU core. Would AMD want to port the A57 to finFET when they are focusing on K12? Either way, Nintendo has a quad core ARM11 on 28nm in 2015. Consoles are AMD's lifeline right now so they will probably be willin to cater Nintendo's wishes as long as they are reasonable.

Irobot82

First "picture" from 390X, if really true (i know i know wccftech, but the moderator confirms it´s the really deal).

Compact size, great for small builds, i have a bad feeling that this GPU will beat titan x performance (bad feeling since i got a titan X at launch).

http://wccftech.com/amd-radeon-fiji-xt-r9-390x-pictured-features-small-form-factor-water-cooling/

First rendering maybe....if it's even legit.

It will be cool to have tiny card though. It'll help with those ITX builds.

Irobot82

What's Crossfire like these days? How does it compare to SLI?

They fixed the latency issue on the newer cards that don't require a physical link anymore but they are slower at putting out profiles than Nvidia. But as always, just about all dual graphics suck.

Dr. Kaos

Banned
This GPU is going to return AMD to its former 9700 glory. I hope nVidia can't catch up for a couple of years. AMD could really use that enthusiast money!

My first build since 2007 is going to be i7+390X (+Vive/Oculus).

AmyS

This GPU is going to return AMD to its former 9700 glory.

Heck yeah.

O1LLVSW.png

hloTd9W.jpg
Ja18a2d.jpg
FnaLsKN.jpg

Thraktor

Oops, I was only talking about the CPU core. Would AMD want to port the A57 to finFET when they are focusing on K12? Either way, Nintendo has a quad core ARM11 on 28nm in 2015. Consoles are AMD's lifeline right now so they will probably be willin to cater Nintendo's wishes as long as they are reasonable.

The beauty of ARM reference designs like the A57 (or the A53 or whatever else Nintendo might want to go with) is that you don't have to "port" them to a new process, every fab under the sun will already be offering them on all new nodes. Just build the rest of your chip around them.

This GPU is going to return AMD to its former 9700 glory. I hope nVidia can't catch up for a couple of years. AMD could really use that enthusiast money!

My first build since 2007 is going to be i7+390X (+Vive/Oculus).

Let's cool the hype until we see some benches to avoid disappointment. It's AMD we are talking about. I'm hoping for the best, expecting the slightly better.

The beauty of ARM reference designs like the A57 (or the A53 or whatever else Nintendo might want to go with) is that you don't have to "port" them to a new process, every fab under the sun will already be offering them on all new nodes. Just build the rest of your chip around them.

Yeah, that was the other side of the argument I had going in my brain. Those cores should be common enough that GF, TSMC, and Samsung probably already have them ready for finFET nodes.

Good hearing from you!

Irobot82

Everybody needs to root for AMD because they would only drive Nvidias price down.

Completely agree with this. Very happy with my Intel/NVIDIA setup but I really really hope AMD knocks it out of the park with these releases, it's badly needed.

Comments like these are dumb. People still need to actually buy the GPU's.

It reads like, "someone needs to buy this garbage so I can get a better deal of my fancy GPU but I won't stoop down to that level."

ZOONAMI

If their 300$ card can outperform 980 comprehensively then day 1. Otherwise Nvidia as usual.

Considering that their current $300 card is a 290x and it hangs with a 980 for half the price, I think this should be possible, although asking them to stick to a price point that's half that of the competition is unreasonable if they are releasing a brand new card. If their 980 killer is $400 you wouldn't buy it?

The HBM advantage reminds me of the time AMD introduced the 4870. They were the first to introduce GDDR5 and as a result Nvidia's GTX 280 and 260 ended up dropping massively in price to compete. Hopefully the same will happen with Fiji. I'm just worried they've got nothing else to introduce, and the lower end will stay the same as it has been for years.

Irobot82

The HBM advantage reminds me of the time AMD introduced the 4870. They were the first to introduce GDDR5 and as a result Nvidia's GTX 280 and 260 ended up dropping massively in price to compete. Hopefully the same will happen with Fiji. I'm just worried they've got nothing else to introduce, and the lower end will stay the same as it has been for years.

With AMD being strapped for extra resources I wouldn't expect a full new line of GPU's until 14nm/GCN 2.0 with the 400 series next year.

ZOONAMI

The SFF part of this is awesome, even though I've managed to fit a 290x in a hadron air itx case. What would be really cool is of this would allow for sli set ups in matx/itx cases. Or even better, the card is so powerful there will be no need for sli. Shit, I mean my 290x solo already does 30-60fps at ~high settings on my 4k tv. If we could get full 60fps ultra with a small form factor living room PC that would be awesome. For a price that's actually reasonable instead of nvidia's $1000 nonsense titan x.

The wccf render looks somewhat believable, and hints at how HBM would make the card really short. And if it is that short, a water cooler makes sense. With normal air cooler they'd just have to extend it just to support a large enough cooler. Makes one think if there's going to be AIB air cooler options in the future.

Indeed.
I've been using AMD gpus since mid 2000s, never had any problems with them.
My HD 5770 lasted for a good 5 years, ran any game decently. I'm on another AMD gpu right now and so far no problem at all.

Three

The wccf render looks somewhat believable, and hints at how HBM would make the card really short. And if it is that short, a water cooler makes sense. With normal air cooler they'd just have to extend it just to support a large enough cooler. Makes one think if there's going to be AIB air cooler options in the future.

This was what I was thinking too but it seems that the card still has an air exhaust at the back. It wouldn't be so thick either. So the question is if it isn't watercooled what is that thing on the side. If it is watercooled why is there a rear vent and why is it so thick, they should be able to make it take up only one slot.

AMD need to get a fucking product out the door. Last peep we heard from them was GCN 1.2 and that was back September last year and only one product. Before that it was GCN 1.1 from late 2013. Hello, AMD? You still there? Still alive?

This was what I was thinking too but it seems that the card still has an air exhaust at the back. It wouldn't be so thick either. So the question is if it isn't watercooled what is that thing on the side. If it is watercooled why is there a rear vent and why is it so thick, they should be able to make it take up only one slot.

The water cooling is only for the core. The air cooling is still present for the VRMs and ancillary components.

Bashtee

Not really. AMD used to have better hardware but with worse software back in Nvidia's FX days. But now, and for good part of last half decade, Nvidia equaled or bettered them in hardware and has kept up their advantage on software side. The declining AMD GPU marketshare reflects this.

The marketshare only reflects the better marketing from Nvidia. AMD is wasting a lot of energy with the 200 series, but with a non-stock cooler, I can't see a problem. This also the part where Nvidia is currently leading. Was a bit different during Fermi. They are trading equal blows with the hardware, but I expect AMD to get the upper hand until next year with the 300 series.

Yeah I was wondering about the back exhaust too, but they probably want to have air flow for the rest of the components too. It's actually a bit of a mystery how that would cool the VRM if there's no fan. It would imply the VRM is also cooled with the AIO which would probably make it a more expensive cooler.

Top Bottom