• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anandtech: AMD To Launch New Desktop GPU This Quarter (Q2’15) With HBM

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
"I'm still gonna buy nvidia/intel stuff regardless, but I really hope AMD shakes things up by getting other people (who are definitely not me) to buy their product!"

ZOONAMI

Hopefully the 390x nips at the heels of the 980 Ti or is significantly cheaper.

It's gonna be better than a titan x, and should cost ~$600. The 980ti will just be nvidia's answer so they can at least match on pricing. If this is an 8gb hbm chip, it'll blow nvidia's high end out of the water until nvidia comes out with stacked memory. Game changer for amd.

It's gonna be better than a titan x, and should cost ~$600. The 980ti will just be nvidia's answer so they can at least match on pricing. If this is an 8gb hbm chip, it'll blow nvidia's high end out of the water until nvidia comes out with stacked memory. Game changer for amd.

Memory bandwidth is great if the GPU in question has the fillrate necessary to saturate it. If not then it's just decorative. It remains to be seen if AMD can push out a GPU on 28 nm which can utilize all this bandwidth. Also it's obvious they are having issues with 8 GB HBM yields because the 390X certainly isn't out yet and meanwhile Nvidia is locking people into 970, 980, and Titan X now and every day AMD delays the 390X, the fewer people will remain who haven't already upgraded because they got tired of waiting.

"I'm still gonna buy nvidia/intel stuff regardless, but I really hope AMD shakes things up by getting other people (who are definitely not me) to buy their product!"

G-Sync monitor, so its not much of a choice. They have a one year head start (or less) on HBM, so they better pray that this is a home run.

McHuj

Imo, having the top highend part is great, but they are missing a killer GPU in the $300 bracket. That would be a 1-2 punch that would go a long way if they could enter both the Titan and 980/970 cards.

ZOONAMI

Imo, having the top highend part is great, but they are missing a killer GPU in the $300 bracket. That would be a 1-2 punch that would go a long way if they could enter both the Titan and 980/970 cards.

The 290x is a killer GPU in the $300 bracket. If the 370/380x is a rebranded 290x with higher clocks and lower wattage, they will continue to have a killer GPU in the $300 range. As is, a 290x soundly beats a 970 and is only slightly behind a 980, in fact beats a 980 in a number of titles.

ZOONAMI

Memory bandwidth is great if the GPU in question has the fillrate necessary to saturate it. If not then it's just decorative. It remains to be seen if AMD can push out a GPU on 28 nm which can utilize all this bandwidth. Also it's obvious they are having issues with 8 GB HBM yields because the 390X certainly isn't out yet and meanwhile Nvidia is locking people into 970, 980, and Titan X now and every day AMD delays the 390X, the fewer people will remain who haven't already upgraded because they got tired of waiting.

It'll have the guts, if it doesn't, then yeah they're fucked. No doubt they are getting killed by nvidia and intel right now, hopefully their new hbm parts and zen CPU can change that.

Vitor711

So how soon is soon? I doubt this'll come out before The Witcher, right?

Shame, I'm looking to sell my gaming laptop and go full desktop for the first time ever but now seems like the worst ever point to do that what we've all these leaks from both AMD and Nvidia.

So how soon is soon? I doubt this'll come out before The Witcher, right?

Shame, I'm looking to sell my gaming laptop and go full desktop for the first time ever but now seems like the worst ever point to do that what we've all these leaks from both AMD and Nvidia.

they said q2 '15, so it falls under april-may-june

we're halfway throughout the quarter. so even if they release it on june, that's like next month.

DieH@rd

Banned
Might finally be time for me to upgrade my 7970's.

If they get these out before the witcher arrives I'll be jumping on.

Witcher 3 is out in 2 weeks.

We should be lucky if the R300 line arrives [in more than paper launch amounts] before Arkham Knight [late June].

Tenebrous

I'm one of these arseholes, sadly... Unless the 390X is just flatout ridiculous.

Tenebrous

I know. I just think nVidia software & exclusive technology is much more interesting, but I am looking to replace my 780s for something with more power & VRAM, so if the 390X is the ridiculous value for money proposition the 7950 was back in the day, then I might grab a pair... And a 1200W PSU.

I haven't bought an NVidia GPU since 2000. I love NVidia's products, but I always buy the best bang for the buck when I upgrade every few years in the $300 range, and AMD usually cleans up there.

Qassim

I like the NVIDIA ecosystem and their general lead in developing value-add features. It's not just about the card and price of it. When AMD offer something that, as a package, competes with NVIDIA in that regard for me, I may go back.

But I recognise that lots of people don't see the value add things NVIDIA offer as.. all that valuable. So I hope that in those cases AMD do make something really compelling from hardware and price perspective so that enough of those kinds of people buy their cards.

I don't really see how this is an invalid viewpoint as your quote suggested.

Uhhh what about free sync?

Probably means they already have a G-Sync monitor, so buying an AMD card would mean wasting the G-Sync capability in their already purchased monitor.

El_Chino

I like the NVIDIA ecosystem and their general lead in developing value-add features. It's not just about the card and price of it. When AMD offer something that, as a package, competes with NVIDIA in that regard for me, I may go back.

But I recognise that lots of people don't see the value add things NVIDIA offer as.. all that valuable. So I hope that in those cases AMD do make something really compelling from hardware and price perspective so that enough of those kinds of people buy their cards.

I don't really see how this is an invalid viewpoint as your quote suggested.

Probably means they already have a G-Sync monitor, so buying an AMD card would mean wasting the G-Sync capability in their already purchased monitor.
Ah, okay. That makes sense.

I'm convinced that this is going to be both cheaper (obviously) and faster (5-15%) than the Titan X.

But what interests me is the performance of the as-of-yet hypothetical 980ti. Wouldn't that be slightly slower than the Titan X, thus rendering it even more lacking against the 390X at around the same price-point? Also, these new AMD cards are compelling as they feature HMB tech whilst NV's cards this year (including any 980ti) are stuck with GDDR5 and lack that marketing factor.

If this all plays out as is expected (performance, price), I don't see many reasons why people would choose the NV product over the 390X aside from software.

Although I like Intel and nVidia, I have always rooted for AMD and always bought their CPU's for my personal desktops. I sure hope they make a huge comeback over the next couple years!

jett

D-Member
Although I like Intel and nVidia, I have always rooted for AMD and always bought their CPU's for my personal desktops. I sure hope they make a huge comeback over the next couple years!

You would think all of the Nvidia fans would root for AMD. Maybe if AMD's GPUs start being more successful and competitive the green compnay they love so much would stop charging ridiculous prices for their shit. :p

I really don't want to buy another AMD card, but for some reason I am stuck in their product cycle. I was planning to go Gsync and a 980ti, but maybe I'll be back on AMD again.

Marlenus

Yeah I was wondering about the back exhaust too, but they probably want to have air flow for the rest of the components too. It's actually a bit of a mystery how that would cool the VRM if there's no fan. It would imply the VRM is also cooled with the AIO which would probably make it a more expensive cooler.

I have read that the GPU, VRAM and VRMs might be all cooled by the AIO system. Would be interesting if that is the case.

I'm convinced that this is going to be both cheaper (obviously) and faster (5-15%) than the Titan X.

But what interests me is the performance of the as-of-yet hypothetical 980ti. Wouldn't that be slightly slower than the Titan X, thus rendering it even more lacking against the 390X at around the same price-point? Also, these new AMD cards are compelling as they feature HMB tech whilst NV's cards this year (including any 980ti) are stuck with GDDR5 and lack that marketing factor.

If this all plays out as is expected (performance, price), I don't see many reasons why people would choose the NV product over the 390X aside from software.

The 980 Ti will probably be faster than Titan X, with less VRAM they will have more power and thermal headroom which they can use up by increasing the core and boost clocks.

I have read that the GPU, VRAM and VRMs might be all cooled by the AIO system. Would be interesting if that is the case.

The 980 Ti will probably be faster than Titan X, with less VRAM they will have more power and thermal headroom which they can use up by increasing the core and boost clocks.

Hmm but will it be fast enough? Also, there are conflicting rumours - some say 90% the performance of the Titan X, others say +10%.

What's certain is AMD can't afford to piss around. They need to release the 390 and 390X early June to stand any chance.

The Titan X's little brother would undercut the price of the 390x in that scenario. Titan X was always poor value for money but has already sold pretty well for such a niche product. They might simply stop making it and enjoy the huge margins they made on it.

Vitor711

they said q2 '15, so it falls under april-may-june

we're halfway throughout the quarter. so even if they release it on june, that's like next month.

Oh I get what Q2 means, I was just hoping they might do a surprise pre-Witcher 3 launch... Because, well, I could jump in on that offer for a free copy of TW3 and Batman with a 980. Saves me $120 in the long run.

But then again, whatever AMD launches will be better than the 980 right? And cheaper? Decisions. Decisions.

Skenzin

Banned
Good for the competition but honestly ever since amd sold their founderies their CPUs haven't been competitive. By 2016 Intel will have better products with much less thermal issues which is everything in enterprise nowadays which is huge for servers ad virtualization.

Amd gpus, nvidia iq always seemed flatter to me and amd gpus seem to have better windows/2d image quality with colors that pop more but are still accurate. Maybe that's just me. I'm going to wait and see which one has better product for vr.

Oh I get what Q2 means, I was just hoping they might do a surprise pre-Witcher 3 launch... Because, well, I could jump in on that offer for a free copy of TW3 and Batman with a 980. Saves me $120 in the long run.

But then again, whatever AMD launches will be better than the 980 right? And cheaper? Decisions. Decisions.

I doubt fiji will be cheaper than the 980. It's rumored to be faster than Titan X and with watercooling it's not going to be cheap. My guess would be somewhere between 600-800$. I don't think they've got the balls to ask 1000$ even if it's faster than Titan X.

If you want to play Witcher 3 and Batman, those are heavily sponsored by Nvidia and most likely perform poorly on Radeons, just like all the previous titles in those series. As for the release date of fiji, it's either around Computex or E3, so the first couple weeks of June.

Top Bottom