• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android Gaming Thread New OP

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking for games that don't require a connection to play, I've only got limited mobile downloads per month (Lame Aussie providers) and would prefer games that didn't use it.

RPG's or even Tower Defense games prefered.

kevm3

I remember i used to hate hearing about cellphone/tablet games, but oddly enough, it seems like I'd almost rather play these than a lot of the full-feature console games. They seem to go back to the simple focus on gameplay instead of the best 3d graphics possible.

KuroNeeko

Anyone know of any good games similar to Little Stars of Little Wars 2? I'm a sucker for these Mushroom Wars-like games. I'm currently playing Gelluloid and it's not bad, just curious if there's more out there.

I'm looking for games that don't require a connection to play, I've only got limited mobile downloads per month (Lame Aussie providers) and would prefer games that didn't use it.

You should check out Kingdom Rush. It's one of the best tower defense games I've played on a handheld.

Dungeon Raid is another good choice, though it doesn't quite fit into your RPG / TD preference. It's more like a Puzzle Quest type game.

Also Battleheart - one of the few games I've played to completion on my Android. Knights of Pen and Paper +1 is another game that got a lot of buzz a few months ago. I like it but found it a little repetitive. Still fun and fits the bill if you're looking for a RPG.

You should check out Kingdom Rush. It's one of the best tower defense games I've played on a handheld.

Dungeon Raid is another good choice, though it doesn't quite fit into your RPG / TD preference. It's more like a Puzzle Quest type game.

Thanks for the suggestion, I've actually played Kingdom Rush, it's what got me back into TD genre, awesome game!

I'll check out Dungeon Raid though, looks interesting.

mr_toa

What kind of RPG's? Action, Dungeon Crawlers, JPRG, SRPG?

D23

is there any good age of empire/civilization type of games on android??

something like that hobbit game but i really dont want to deal with iap bullshit. just let me pay for the damn game

Any news from the Android version of FFTactics ? I'm about to rip my PSX version, but a touch-enabled version would be welcome. IIRC, the japanese version was on store a few months ago, and ... nothing else.

haikira

Knights of Pen and Paper is super fun, can't believe I waited so long to pick it up.

UpUSsa7eAvKEY3ctn6VfZIRjyaVl9j8c-Tif7MNbeiMC7ZXXGznHuOkAeKY7E6dWvddr=w705

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=br.com.beholdstudios.knightspp&hl=en

I was checking this thread out the other day, as I'm planning to jump from IOS to an Android device sometime in the next few months. Saw this game mentioned and grabbed it for my Ipad though, as it sounded like my cup of tea. Have to say, it's pretty damn awesome. Just played it in little bursts so far, during down time at work, but I'm loving it.

Definitely going to recommend it to my friends, who're on android devices.

Mikeside

Anyone have any experience with the gameklip? It seems perfect for turning my phone into a nice little emulator machine. I am seriously thinking about getting one. I have an S4, but it says it is compatible with it as well.

http://buy.thegameklip.com/products/gameklip-galaxy-siii

I have one which I used for my GNex and now use on my S3.

It's just a bit of plastic, but it's solid and it sits your phone at a nice angle from the controller. Couldn't ask for much more, really.

linsivvi

I try not to install games that ask for ridiculous permissions.

It's also free, so I'm skeptical. What kind of in app purchases are there?

Coins which is the in-game currency, continues, and additional dungeons.

The first 2 are ridiculously expensive though not necessary at all.

Edit: It's basically just a demo but without telling you so. There are only 5 very short dungeons. You need to pay about $3 to unlock the rest of the game. Avoid.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
This is why I love the new built in privacy mode in the latest CyanogenMod. It means I don't have to wade through apps permissions.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Coins which is the in-game currency, continues, and additional dungeons.

The first 2 are ridiculously expensive though not necessary at all.

Edit: It's basically just a demo but without telling you so. There are only 5 very short dungeons. You need to pay about $3 to unlock the rest of the game. Avoid.
Thanks, glad I was right to be wary.

Willy Wanka

my god this avatar owns
Frozen Synapse has been reduced down to $1.53/£1 on the play store. I already own it on PC but I couldn't say no at that price.

Rashid

Banned
Any news from the Android version of FFTactics ? I'm about to rip my PSX version, but a touch-enabled version would be welcome. IIRC, the japanese version was on store a few months ago, and ... nothing else.

Yeah I'm anticipating it as well, iOS has the update for high resolution sprites and better performance but the android version is only or on the Japanese play store. Really disappointing, they said it'd be out soon when they made the initial announcement.

Row

Banned
Kairosoft...damn

Loved their games, bought every one but now that theyve gone the f2p way I cant really support them

PLS2 is a joke and as bad an offender as any other in creating barriers to encourage purchases

Kairosoft...damn

Loved their games, bought every one but now that theyve gone the f2p way I cant really support them

Damn, that's sad. Is that the way they're going now? I've got I think 4 of their games. Mall Story, Dev Story, Dungeon Village, and the Restaurant one (the only one I never got far in).

I really enjoy em for the most part.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
Kairosoft...damn

PLS2 is a joke and as bad an offender as any other in creating barriers to encourage purchases

No, it really isn't. What barriers are you finding that encourage/demand purchases? You can build up a vast stash of coins by filling your friend slots that will get you your big-ticket items (speed up game being the main one) without any effort. Training looked bad, but turns out not to be a problem after all, given that the coins cost is minimal and one-off per training type. You get coins through each playthrough, from online matches and trophies. And, if you're insane, the completely worthless fan activity. :D

I'm on a third playthrough now, not missing anything, with fast play unlocked (later than I could have done it) and not feeling the need to pay for anything with an IAP (except inasmuch as the game's so much fun I feel like I ought to be paying for it...)

Bad IAP-driven games tend to have a brick wall you hit where you can't continue without paying up. That just doesn't seem to happen with PL2, at least so far.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Deathsmiles and Mushihimesama Bug Panic are out today, nice to see Cave hasn't given up on Android yet. Links on pictures. :)

S1kkZ

bought Tiny Thief a few days ago but there is one big problem: the framerate on my galaxy s3 is a disaster. constant stuttering and the game moves really slow. is it just bad programming? the game cant be that demanding? hell, even real racing 3 runs better on my phone (and every other 2d/3d game that i played so far).

Is anybody else unable to buy games? I've been trying to buy Tiny Thief since last night. When I try from my phone or the webstore, I get an error with google wallet.

Uh oh. There was a problem.

We couldn't start your purchase because of a technical issue.
Details of the problem below:
There is an error in the setup for your purchase. Please contact the merchant about this issue.

I double checked my credit card info and I know they were able to charge it as recently as a few days ago. Tried to buy Crazy Taxi and same dealio.

I click "help" on the google wallet site and that gives me an error too, lol.

Not sure whether this has been posted in here, but I present to you:

Dungeon Quest

It's a pretty ropey action RPG, with tonnes of loot, only two available classes (technically it's still in beta) and it's essentially just an endless dungeon. I've now been playing it for about 50 hours in total, over the space of maybe two weeks?

It's so good, especially if you're using a PS3 controller and the sixaxis app.

boutrosinit

Street Fighter IV World Champion
walking dead:assault is out
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.skybound.TWDA

haven't tried it yet, is it like undead hunt where you can change the position of your barricades and stuff or just standard strategy where you can only move your characters?

Strategy shooter lite, with RTS controls and uses soundmaking as a key mechanic.

If you have a Tegra 2 or Neon chip device, you may suffer bugs, but they are being fixed in short time.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
This has been long overdue and since nobody has decided to take it up, I have decided to make a new OT. If anyone would like to help me out, I will gladly welcome it. Please pm me. Hoping to have this done by the end of the night.

This has been long overdue and since nobody has decided to take it up, I have decided to make a new OT. If anyone would like to help me out, I will gladly welcome it. Please pm me. Hoping to have this done by the end of the night.
Make sure you post it here so we can abandon ship.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom