• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android Gaming Thread New OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

thecheese

Is there anything like Animal Crossing: New Leaf for Android? Probably not but I figured I'd ask, anyway. I'd get it for the 3DS but I don't want to carry around another device. It seems like the perfect portable game to take with me everywhere and play in short bursts.

There's an upcoming game called Castaway Paradise by Stolen Couch Games that looks like it will fill the Animal Crossing niche on non-Nintendo devices. Not sure when it's coming out though.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
There's an upcoming game called Castaway Paradise by Stolen Couch Games that looks like it will fill the Animal Crossing niche on non-Nintendo devices. Not sure when it's coming out though.
Hey, thanks. It looks exactly like what I'm looking for. Too bad I can't find a release date.

I'm trying to figure out the name of a game that mysteriously vanished from my Amazon wishlist. It was a platformer with an artstyle similar to Limbo except with more color and I think the objective was to collect light orbs and I guess restore the world or something like that. The app icon featured a shadow creature with white eyes and kind of a clawed hand.

Does that sound familiar to anyone?

zbeeb

I'm trying to figure out the name of a game that mysteriously vanished from my Amazon wishlist. It was a platformer with an artstyle similar to Limbo except with more color and I think the objective was to collect light orbs and I guess restore the world or something like that. The app icon featured a shadow creature with white eyes and kind of a clawed hand.

Does that sound familiar to anyone?

oscura?

deim0s

Just bought Super Hexagon and boy... this game!

It's frustratingly good! Now I know what the hype is.

I'll beat you yet 31.32 secs!

Sadly not. We really could use a new OP, I reckon.
As it is, most of the decent games I have have come from the amazon free app of the day route. It's definitely worth installing that, and you'll have a collection going in no time.

Does Amazon's free app promos allow non-US downloads?

GDGF

Soothsayer
My Gamezebo review of Circuit Panic (a nifty arcade/puzzler with avian avatars) is up if you want to take a look

http://www.gamezebo.com/games/circuit-panic/review

Whether you’re playing Survival mode for the points, or Story mode for the scenery, the gameplay mechanics remain the same: you move your little birdies by touch, swiping upwards to jump to a higher rung, or downwards to swoop to a lower one. Swipe to the left or the right and you’ll leap in that direction, respectively. In addition to that, tapping your bird of choice will make it perform a quick hop, which comes quite in handy when the power lines start jolting multi-tiered waves of electric death at your avian avatars in rapid succession. Keep your birds in the air and out of harm’s way, and be mindful of the fact that you’re always two good jolts away from extra crispy.

Crazy Taxi is out for $5

TRANSPORT BACK TO 2000
-Remastered for mobile devices based on the hugely popular Dreamcast Classic
-Rock out to original music by The Offspring and Bad Religion

FIERCE ENVIRONMENTS TO MAKE YOUR PASSENGERS GO INSANE
-Extra large hills for extra long hang time
-Parked transporters with conveniently angled ramps
-Occasional deep sea exploration opportunities

DONT GET TOO DELIRIOUS
-Choose from 3, 5 or 10 minute game play in Arcade Mode and Original Mode
-Play in touch or tilt control modes

OTHER FEATURES:
-Continue the madness with 16 Mini games
-Listen to tracks from your own music playlist
-Universal Build - Buy once and play across multiple devices
-Controller Support - Play with your Power A Moga, Xbox, and all HID controllers

I know it's not new, but I just have to say that Kingdom Rush is a terrific mobile TD game. Hopefully its sequel will appear on Android soon.

kinn

Crazy Taxi is out for $5

TRANSPORT BACK TO 2000
-Remastered for mobile devices based on the hugely popular Dreamcast Classic
-Rock out to original music by The Offspring and Bad Religion

FIERCE ENVIRONMENTS TO MAKE YOUR PASSENGERS GO INSANE
-Extra large hills for extra long hang time
-Parked transporters with conveniently angled ramps
-Occasional deep sea exploration opportunities

DONT GET TOO DELIRIOUS
-Choose from 3, 5 or 10 minute game play in Arcade Mode and Original Mode
-Play in touch or tilt control modes

OTHER FEATURES:
-Continue the madness with 16 Mini games
-Listen to tracks from your own music playlist
-Universal Build - Buy once and play across multiple devices
-Controller Support - Play with your Power A Moga, Xbox, and all HID controllers

About bloody time!

Can anyone tell me how to fix this? I'm trying to download Heroes of Order and Chaos, but it doesn't download at all. It just says "Downloading" in the Play Store, and says "Additional file: Heroes..." on the drop down menu. It's not downloading anything because I left it overnight and didn't eat up any extra space on my storage.

Already tried signing in to Gtalk, clearing data for Play Store+Download Manager, tried other connections, tried starting the download from my PC... nothing. Every other Play Store download is fine. I'm getting tempted to just download the APK elsewhere.

edit: Got it fixed. Apparently it's an issue with the small cache size of Samsung devices (I have a Note II). I used Clean Master and all was well. I don't know why it happened just for this game since I have downloaded larger games in the past.

The update yesterday reset my main park. This really sucks. I was a level 56 (was maxed out 55 before update) and now I have nothing but one land plot cleared and a huge white rectangle sitting in it.

I had almost all dinos maxed out.

I contacted them via their facebook page but I'm sure there is nothing that can be done at this point.

garath

You guys convinced me. I bought Kingdom Rush last night. It was late though so I just let it download and went to bed. Will give it a shot today.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
Really liking PLS2 so far but I fucking HATE how they brought IAPs in. It'd be alright if you only needed the money to insta-get players or to play the target game thing but no, level up your special practices to lvl4 and you need coins to train. You're not even offered a chance of using light bulbs, you have to have coins. And not just a coin or two but fucking 12 coins.

So later in the game, when you've brought all those to level 4, every single time you train will cost you around 90 cents. Absolute fucking bullshit.

Every time you assume you make an ass out of 'u' and 'me', apparently.

If, like me, you'd been a complete fucking cretin and accidentally selected train after the price hits 15 coins (something must have been bringing yours down - 15 is the standard price) you'd have discovered (after cursing yourself) that it's only the first train at that level that costs 15 coins. Subsequent ones are 40 light bulbs. Given how easy it is to rack up coins - especially in a first playthrough - that's not actually bad at all.

Will be interesting to see if the top level training remains unlocked in subsequent playthroughs or whether it's just for the current cycle. Meanwhile I'm saving my coins to unlock fast mode. If I'd been a bit more savvy I'd actually have unlocked that after my first playthrough - just like in previous Kairosoft games.

I shouldn't be as surprised as I am, but Kairosoft seem to have done IAP right. :D

aravuus

I shouldn't be as surprised as I am, but Kairosoft seem to have done IAP right. :D

Well then, I'll partially take back what I said. I still think the coin prices are way too high and that at least fast forward should stay free, though.

Nonetheless, I'll play every game Kairosoft puts out. Grand Prix Story 2 next thank you very much.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
Well then, I'll partially take back what I said. I still think the coin prices are way too high and that at least fast forward should stay free, though.

I haven't even looked at the coin prices - you can pretty much get everything you need through online play and trophies, especially if you know what you're doing. As long as you don't squander your coins in the first playthrough you can easily get fast forward from that, and some other bits and pieces as well. Subsequent plays through should easily give you the rest of the goodies - sure, at a slower rate than someone who's willing to throw money at it, but that's the way these things go.

I went a bit squandery on my first run through, on my second I've unlocked fast mode, transferred data, unlocked one training level and accidentally bought some cash. :) Third run will be even better.

aravuus

I haven't even looked at the coin prices - you can pretty much get everything you need through online play and trophies, especially if you know what you're doing. As long as you don't squander your coins in the first playthrough you can easily get fast forward from that, and some other bits and pieces as well. Subsequent plays through should easily give you the rest of the goodies - sure, at a slower rate than someone who's willing to throw money at it, but that's the way these things go.

I went a bit squandery on my first run through, on my second I've unlocked fast mode, transferred data, unlocked one training level and accidentally bought some cash. :) Third run will be even better.

Fast forward being behind so many coins makes me saddest the most, if the training stuff indeed is only lightbulbs after the one-time 15 coins, they aren't too bad. 15 online matches should be enough, or did it only give you a coin for winning? Still, possible. But almost a hundred coins iirc for fast forward is way too much, especially since it doesn't really make things easier, just more convenient. I'd understand it if there was a 100-coin item that replenished everyone's stamina to full and could be used infinitely.

But yeah, I admit I got a bit too mad at first. I'll forgive Kairosoft for now :lol

Lupin3

Targeting terrorists with a D-Pad
How is it gaming on an Android device, say Galaxy S4. Are the games (newer) usually fullscreen and HD? I've read that at least some older games or so show black borders.

I have no Android experience whatsoever, but I'm curious!

Truespeed

How is it gaming on an Android device, say Galaxy S4. Are the games (newer) usually fullscreen and HD? I've read that at least some older games or so show black borders.

It's rare that a game will have black borders. Unlike iOS, Android will scale apps and games instead of use some fixed size resolution.

I have a GS4 and have seen no games use black boarders.

Jurassic Park Builder was the only game I was playing that had shitty resolution in some places, but their recent update is now full HD.

Bike Race, Hill Climb, Candy Crush, Angry Birds, NFS Most Wanted, all look gorgeous on this screen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom