• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android Gaming Thread New OP

Status
Not open for further replies.
sableholic said:
is this a full version and will it be free on the market eventually. Just wondering if this is some sort of pirated version?

I've got no clue. I was just reposting from the OT thread since this is the gaming thread and it really belonged here. Nobody said anything to Clay Davis there, nor was it removed. Do you think I should remove it?

Chairhome

Thrakier said:
I got a problem with my HTC Desire. Always when I try to move apps on the SD card I get an error message that's not possible. The apss should be movable though. The SD card works fine and there is enough space on it. Everything else works. Just moving doesn't. Any idea?
Only certain apps are movable to SD.

Got Game Dev story yesterday, and am now hooked. Anything else on Android similar to this, made me realise how much I miss these type of sim games.

Lazy8s

The ghost of Dreamcast past
Google still has a long way to go with the graphics acceleration within their framework and OS, but they're a fast mover. Epic Citadel ported very well to Tegra 2 and Galaxy S Android tablets and phones at CES.

Luckyman

Banned
Lazy8s said:
Google still has a long way to go with the graphics acceleration within their framework and OS, but they're a fast mover. Epic Citadel ported very well to Tegra 2 and Galaxy S Android tablets and phones at CES.

Honeycomb acclerates everything.. due next week.

Man

While this thread is already bumped: PlayStation Suite will arrive to Android 2.3 or higher phones/tablets this fall.

playstation_suite.jpg

sony-playstation-certified-580x384.jpg

It's a cross platform... platform for games and apps. Everything certified and handled by the PlayStation group.
It will have PSOne games and new games specifically built for the platform. Should really give a boost to Android gaming.

PlayStation Suite software will also be playable on the PSP2/NGP system.

For PSOne games there will either be a PlayStation button overlay (Google is adding this a default OS feature in Android 2.3) or the phone itself will come with a hardware PS controller setup (Sony Ericsson Xperia Play being one example).

xperia-play-photo.jpg

For new software on PlayStation Suite you can expect multitouch interface (as the PSP2 supports this fully), possibly in combination with PS button setup to be the default interface.

PR said:
SONY COMPUTER ENTERTAINMENT TO UNVEIL
“PLAYSTATION®SUITE,” DELIVERING THE WORLD
OF PLAYSTATION® TO ANDROID™ BASED PORTABLE DEVICES

Simultaneously Launching “PlayStation®Certified” License Program to Provide
PlayStation® Content and Development Support for Android™ Based Portable Devices

Tokyo, January 27, 2011– Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. (SCE) today unveiled “PlayStation®Suite” (PS Suite), delivering the PlayStation® experience to Android™ based portable devices*1. Through this entirely new initiative, users will be able to enjoy PlayStation content on an open operating system for the first time in PlayStation history.
In the dramatically evolving and diversifying mobile market, the number of users who enjoy games casually on a variety of devices including mobile phones, smart-phones and tablet PCs, has been increasing significantly. By offering “PlayStation quality” content to this rapidly growing market, SCE will not only deliver the PlayStation experience to a wider base of users around the globe, but will also be able to offer game developers and publishers the potential to further expand their business opportunities to these devices.
In providing the PlayStation experience on Android based portable devices, SCE will commence a “PlayStation®Certified” license program for hardware manufacturers. Through this program, SCE will offer necessary support, including development support as well as logo licensing, to ensure the delivery of PlayStation quality experience across various devices.

On the software front, SCE plans to provide PS Suite content within this calendar year, starting with original PlayStation games*2 (PS one® classics) that will allow users to enjoy “PlayStation quality” gameplay on their Android based portable devices. SCE also plans to open PlayStation®Store where users will be able to download content in an easy to use environment, directly via the Android based portable devices. Moreover, SCE will provide a new game development environment in an effort to ensure new and compelling content is delivered on PS Suite, which will also offer opportunities for a wider base of developers and publishers to further expand their business on various portable devices.

Newly developed content for PS Suite can also be enjoyed on the next generation portable entertainment system (codename: NGP), which SCE announced today. Users who have never experienced PlayStation content can get a taste of the PlayStation experience through PS Suite and from there, they can enjoy the ultimate portable entertainment experience that is only possible on NGP.

SCE will vigorously enhance the entertainment world delivering the PlayStation experience to a wider base of users.

*1 Android™ 2.3 or beyond is required.
*2 PS one game console software title. We will announce the tiles when ready.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=419932

So sad this thread started in 9/2010 and is only 5 pages long. Attests to the shittiness that is the Android Marketplace (HTC Incredible owner here).

JCX

BigNastyCurve said:
So sad this thread started in 9/2010 and is only 5 pages long. Attests to the shittiness that is the Android Marketplace (HTC Incredible owner here).

That's part of the problem. So many different android phones with different versions of android, button layouts, and with/without a keyboard. I wishthere was some more standardization like Microsoft did with WP7.

Luckyman

Banned
Man said:
It's a cross platform... platform for games and apps. Everything certified and handled by the PlayStation group.
It will have PSOne games and new games specifically built for the platform. Should really give a boost to Android gaming.]

Sony still needs to prove this worth it. If they demand insane royalties, QA/Cert/ESRB fees this will tank horribly..

Luckyman said:
Sony still needs to prove this worth it. If they demand insane royalties, QA/Cert/ESRB fees this will tank horribly..
Anything is better than the current solution. I don't think many developers will need much convincing, and the greater standardisation and requirements are precisely what is needed.

JohnTinker said:
I still really want Fieldrunners

Robo Defense is VERY Fieldrunners-esque

There is a free version that is pretty minimal, but will give you enough to know if you want to purchase the full version, which I believe is $2.99

wondermega

this thread is like a ghost town..
dpes anyone know of there's a big Android-specific site or forum (kind of what like TouchArcade is to the iPhone?)

Chris R

Anyone buy FPse? Seriously considering it because my psp basically has no battery life. If stuff would run on my milestone and I could sync a ps3 controller I'd totally be down.

Someone else can be the guinnea pig though :p

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
rhfb said:
Anyone buy FPse? Seriously considering it because my psp basically has no battery life. If stuff would run on my milestone and I could sync a ps3 controller I'd totally be down.

Is it suppose to be better than the other one...umm psxe? I have that one but have not used it lately.

Also thanks for words with friends post! I can finally play with my iphone friends :)

I keep on starting at spectral souls and debating on getting it.

Chris R

Corran Horn said:
Is it suppose to be better than the other one...umm psxe? I have that one but have not used it lately.

Also thanks for words with friends post! I can finally play with my iphone friends :)

I keep on starting at spectral souls and debating on getting it.
No clue if it is better, I just saw a news article and thought id mention it.

Going to get one of them sometime soon though, cheaper than a new psp battery.

W1SSY

Just picked up Words with Friends the other day and really enjoy it. I love how I can play with people on the iPhone because most of my friends have that instead of android.

risk

W1SSY said:
Just picked up Words with Friends the other day and really enjoy it. I love how I can play with people on the iPhone because most of my friends have that instead of android.
Most of my friends have words for friends as well since they have an iPhone, but I like Wordfeud much more. I guess because it isn't as flashy and I don't run into any problems that Words with Friends has such as, reporting the wrong turns and spotty visual lag(galaxy S). Can't complain much though since its free and cross platform!

Penguin

risk said:
Most of my friends have words for friends as well since they have an iPhone, but I like Wordfeud much more. I guess because it isn't as flashy and I don't run into any problems that Words with Friends has such as, reporting the wrong turns and spotty visual lag(galaxy S). Can't complain much though since its free and cross platform!

Yeah, I prefer WordFeud, cleaner/simpler look. Ability to have a friends' list. Ability to do random boards as well as 3 different language options.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Gameloft is having a buy one get one free sale on select games. I just bought Let's Golf 2 HD for $4.99 and got Modern Combat 2 HD free.

Also, where is my Plants vs. Zombies? :p

Gameloft is also having a sale through Feb 24th where select Android Games are only $1.99 each (reg $4.99). I bought a couple myself as I've been waiting on sale pricing. Games featured include Oregon Trail, their COD:MW clone, Just Golf 2, UNO, and more. This does not combine with the B1G1 offer but obviously $2 each is cheaper than $2.50 each (B1G1) provided the games you want are included in the sale.

I realize they are hated by many but they are one of the very few devs doing fully-fledged games on Android and not just vapid casual stuff, so I have to support them.

Dr. Kitty Muffins said:
Wait, so it might be possible to hack my Nook Color and get Playstation suite on it?

if you hack it with a 2.3 version or 3.0, yes. you'd then be able to download playstation suite from the android market.

Jtrizzy

Does anyone have advice on the album art grabbers? They all seem to only be seeing some of my music, and one added a random cover to the ones it doesn't see. I see that it only does it for music on my sd card, but I thought all of my music was in the MUSIC folder, which I think is on the sd card.

Mode

rhfb said:

I have it, works great on my EVO. Xenogears runs at practically full speed with the right settings. I can also play Final Fantasy Tactics at full speed, but only in portrait mode. I am not sure if it will be fast on a Milestone, though, but FPse is much better than psx4droid.

milkham

Dr. Zoidberg said:
Gameloft is also having a sale through Feb 24th where select Android Games are only $1.99 each (reg $4.99). I bought a couple myself as I've been waiting on sale pricing. Games featured include Oregon Trail, their COD:MW clone, Just Golf 2, UNO, and more. This does not combine with the B1G1 offer but obviously $2 each is cheaper than $2.50 each (B1G1) provided the games you want are included in the sale.

I realize they are hated by many but they are one of the very few devs doing fully-fledged games on Android and not just vapid casual stuff, so I have to support them.

i scanned the barcode from their blog linking to the sale, it showed me spider-man for 1.99, i entered my credit card info and hit buy, they charged me full price.

Noshino

Rocky_Balboa said:

I loved this game, but goddamn is it so short, I was done with it within 3 hours :mad:

Anyway, still playing PewPew, game is a bitch.... it is nearly impossible to get the damn golden coins....yet Im still here, trying for the god knows what time now :C

Btw, the developer of PewPew is pretty active on this thread, so if anyone has a suggestion/problem, you should reply here

http://androidforums.com/android-games/241113-pewpew-beta-2.html

animlboogy said:
Where is a good resource to follow the Android gaming scene? It seems very disconnected from what little I've been able to piece together. Still very interesting, lots more experimental looking releases, weird roguelikes and such, than in the iOS scene, where people seem inclined on going straight for the money. I'm excited.

http://androidforums.com/android-games/

Unfortunately outside of that forum, GAF, and OpenFeint ... I haven't really been able to find a good enough source.

Android is going to be much stronger this year with the huge wave of android 2.1 tablets coming out, as someone who has yet to own an android device i'm looking into a 7inch tablet, I own an ipod touch 2g so I am sorted for iOS games but for android I want to go with a tablet for a reasonable price, £150 or so.

I will be joining you all soon, brothers.

Weenerz

Banned
Do we have a list yet for Honeycomb/Xoom compatible games? I am playing They Need to be Fed, but I need more games!

iavi

Reposted here, as I can't make a thread, and it seems to be getting ignored in the OT.

PS2 games confirmed for the Playstation Suite? Anybody with a Xoom and the "Tegra Zone" can verify.

This makes the platform infinitely more interesting. According to Sony's previous statments, anything purchased here will also be playable on an NGP (Link). Which now that I think about it, indirectly confirms that PS2 games will be making their way to the PSN/PSuiteStore( if they're any different) This is all according to Nvidia though, but it makes too much sense.

Might be part of Sony's E3 presentation.

wondermega

it's been asked by myself (and others) a few times in this thread, but it's getting down to the wire so I will ask again:

I am readying my iPhone game 180 to release on Android. It's fairly souped-up from last year's release in a large number of regards.

My issue is that the Android scene is quite fragmented and hard to get a finger on, especially compared to the brilliant iOS scene. If someone could volunteer a general list of "what and who" websites I should contact when we release this game in another couple of weeks, that would help things immensely.

Thanks for your aid!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom