• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT2| - Patent pending

Status
Not open for further replies.

kehs

Banned
I don't think Aliyun is forked from Android. Separate all together.

Seems Google is forcing them to drop them, but that's pretty asshole if they're not even in that market.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
Android based devices without Google/Amazon/B&N services are just awful. My mom bought some knock off Android tablet which was an "e-reader". I tried to install the Play Market and while it opened, couldn't do much without a Google account in your settings. To get a Google account you need a Gmail account. Well Gmail wouldn't load because you need to be signed in under Accounts. There is no option to add an account for Google services.

Apparently this manufacturer had GetJar pre-installed and instructs the users to get apps off there.

-GOUKI-

I'm having a weird problem. My phone used to say the weather of Ottawa when i ask it for the weather but lately it defaults to the weather of Ontario...Anyone else have this problem?

oh and i'm running jelly bean off course.

RAP BEEF!!!

Andy Rubin sending subliminals

We built Android to be an open source mobile platform freely available to anyone wishing to use it. In 2008, Android was released under the Apache open source license and we continue to develop and innovate the platform under the same open source license -- it is available to everyone at: http://source.android.com. This openness allows device manufacturers to customize Android and enable new user experiences, driving innovation and consumer choice.

As the lead developer and shepherd of the open platform, we realize that we have a responsibility to app developers -- those who invested in the platform by adopting it and building applications specifically for Android. These developers each contribute to making the platform better -- because when developers support a platform with their applications, the platform becomes better and more attractive to consumers. As more developers build great apps for Android, more consumers are likely to buy Android devices because of the availability of great software content (app titles like Fruit Ninja or Google Maps). As more delighted consumers adopt Android phones and tablets, it creates a larger audience for app developers to sell more apps. The result is a strategy that is good for developers (they sell more apps), good for device manufacturers (they sell more devices) and good for consumers (they get more features and innovation).

In biological terms, this is sometimes referred to as an ecosystem. In economic terms, this is known as a virtuous cycle -- a set of events that reinforces itself through a feedback loop. Each iteration of the cycle positively reinforces the previous one. These cycles will continue in the direction of their momentum until an external factor intervenes and breaks the cycle.

When we first contemplated Android and formed the Open Handset Alliance, we wanted to create an open virtuous cycle where all members of the ecosystem would benefit. We thought hard about what types of external factors could intervene to weaken the ecosystem as a whole. One important external factor we knew could do this was incompatibilities between implementations of Android. Let me explain:

Imagine a hypothetical situation where the platform on each phone sold was just a little bit different. Different enough where Google Maps would run normally on one phone but run terribly slow on another. Let's say, for sake of example, that Android implemented an API that put the phone to sleep for a fraction of a second to conserve battery life when nothing was moving on the screen. The API prototype for such a function might look like SystemClock.sleep(millis) where the parameter "millis" is the number of milliseconds to put the device to sleep for.

If one phone manufacturer implemented SystemClock.sleep() incorrectly, and interpreted the parameter as Seconds instead of Milliseconds, the phone would be put to sleep a thousand times longer than intended! This manufacturer’s phone would have a terrible time running Google Maps. If apps don’t run well across devices due to incompatibilities, consumers would leave the ecosystem, followed by developers. The end of the virtuous cycle.

We have never believed in a “one size fits all” strategy, so we found a way to enable differentiation for device manufactures while protecting developers and consumers from incompatibilities by offering a free "compatibility test suite" (CTS). CTS is a set of software tools that tests and exercises the platform to make sure that (for example) SystemClock.sleep(millis) actually puts the device to sleep for only milliseconds. Like Android, the test suite is freely available to everyone under the Apache open source license: http://source.android.com/compatibility/cts-intro.html

While Android remains free for anyone to use as they would like, only Android compatible devices benefit from the full Android ecosystem. By joining the Open Handset Alliance, each member contributes to and builds one Android platform -- not a bunch of incompatible versions. We’re grateful to the over 85 Open Handset Alliance members who have helped us build the Android ecosystem and continue to drive innovation at an incredible pace. Thanks to their support the Android ecosystem now has over 500 million Android-compatible devices and counting!

Posted by Andy Rubin, Senior Vice President of Mobile and Digital Content
http://officialandroid.blogspot.com/2012/09/the-benefits-importance-of-compatibility.html

Lol, I knew they were gonna pull the "not pulling their weight around" card.

They haven't denied the allegations however!

they played a pretty great hand

the anti-fragmentation card

the with us or against us card

the google apps card

i bet the people who cried the most for Google to "do something" about Android fragmentation and saying they were losing control are the first to claim that Google is being Microsoft

kehs

Banned
You know this big when you have Andy Rubin posting on G+, he hasnt posted anything in months...not the million mark, not ant aosp releases.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Something, something is alive at HP:

Well, what do we have here then? Right after HP CEO, Meg Whitman, came out saying the company needed to provide a smartphone, we see mention of one. First though, we need to say this. The information comes from a set of benchmark logs, and we know these things can be faked. Now, that's out of the way, let's take a look at what we've got.

As Derek Kessler points out over at webOS Nation, the likelihood of a future HP smartphone running webOS would be unlikely -- "less likely than getting CrackBerry Kevin staying off of BlackBerry devices for longer than a day." Given the long standing relationship between HP and Microsoft, the first assumptions were that this could have a Windows Phone 8 connection. Well, maybe not.

Showing up in a GLBenchmark log is a device codenamed 'Bender,' made by HP and running Android 4.0.4 and packing some interesting specs. Powering the Bender is said to be a dual-core Snapdragon S4, and the display resolution is a rather odd 1366x720. For a device with a HD display, this 17:9 aspect ration does seem strangely tall. It at least would indicate a screen size above 4 inches, so no Android powered HP Veer then.

There's every reason to be skeptical about the existence of such a device, and there could be any number of reasons for what we're seeing. Including it all being a big fake. However, let's not forget that the HP Touchpad was supposed to run Android before the acquisition of Palm. So, it's possible for sure, especially if HP has already considered Android in the past.

It's a big old heap of rumor at this point, and we'll have to stand by and wait to see if anything does ever come of it. In the meantime, be sure to head on over to webOS Nation for their take.

http://www.androidcentral.com/hp-bender-shows-benchmarks-log-running-android-404

tino

Banned
What do you guys think its the next hardware killer feature that make you want to upgrade your phone?

I am happy with my phone to the point that,

* I won't upgrade for fast speed, more memory.

* I won't upgrade for bigger screen. I may upgrade for higher higher dpi, but doubt it.

* I definitely won't upgrade for NFC or 3D. I think they are complete gimmicks.

So far I can only think of these potential reasons for my to upgrade:

* A Nokia 808 like giant camera that output better photos than regular Point and Shoots.

* A WP8 phone with unlocked bootloader that I can dualboot with both WP8 and Android

* A 5.5-6" phone with Transformer type keyboard

That's it! I can't think off anything else.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I want another Veer. Android this time around. I really liked my webOS Veer.

ep85

I update due to my update schedule. US telecoms love to rape me so I have to take advantage of those subsidized prices as often as I can.

I think the camera is the one area that has space to improve. Everything else is just "more! more! more!" I'm happy with my One X atm so, eh..

Talon

I want another Veer. Android this time around. I really liked my webOS Veer.
zoolander-phone.jpg

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
It's the first thing that popped out to me. It has to be a sticker.

Ixian

Picked up my S3 today, looks like I picked a good time to do it, too, since the OTA update today messes with the ability to root it. Got an update prompt as soon as I turned the phone on and was like "Nope!"

Is this the biggest Android launch this fall? I'm thinking of switching to Sprint and I want to get the best Android on the market when I do. I plan to switch sometime in October.

It is one of them. But I am way more excited for the (multiple) Nexus('s).

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Is this the biggest Android launch this fall? I'm thinking of switching to Sprint and I want to get the best Android on the market when I do. I plan to switch sometime in October.

Tis the biggest known phone in the US anyways this fall. LG has a new phone, but nobody seems to care about LG in the states. There is another Moto phone, but it's Verizon only.

tino

Banned
I think the Verizon button is real, only Verizon can think of something so evil. You need one of these.

Damn the 5" 1080p screen is real. Oppo is talking about it. This is the true Note successor.

edit: and the Engadget Mobile article about it has 470 freaking comments.

I think the Verizon button is real, only Verizon can think of something so evil. You need one of these.

Damn the 5" 1080p screen is real. Oppo is talking about it. This is the true Note successor.

edit: and the Engadget Mobile article about it has 470 freaking comments.

no Wacom means it's just a Dell Streak II

tino

Banned
Guys, this is a paper launch. Xiaomi started this shit. Xiaomi announced the M2 with the same S4 Pro. Neither Xiaomi nor Oppo will get the first batch of S4 Pro. Just wait for HTC to announce it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom