• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anthony Gallegos (Daylight) laid off

Where does it say that he was laid off?

ib2bQmTRwkoRgs.png

https://twitter.com/agentbizzle/status/471434177045213184

I've enjoyed Rebel FM for a while now so here's to hoping he finds something soon and can keep his mojo going.

Whats the deal with Daylight? I was never interested, but did it bomb?

Aw man :[ I was afraid of this after how Daylight turned out. I hope he lands somewhere soon (and can still do RebelFM).

I can't find any more detail on what he worked on for the game other than "design" - it seemed like most complaints about it were leveled at the core mechanics and terrible script (Chobot?).

Having listened to a lot of RebelFM, he was a CM, but CM's at smaller studios do a little bit of everything. Pretty sure he learned the design and U4 scripting at Zombie. When they were crunching on Daylight, he'd often have to skip out on RebelFM so he was definitely contributing. I highly doubt you could attribute any major design decisions of Daylight to him though so I don't know where this "another chance" stuff is coming from. Maybe he'll show up and clarify specifically what he was involved in though.

I don't care about the game, hope Anthony makes it through. Some developers are just happy that they release a game, whether it's received as good or bad.

Chavelo

Aww man, that sucks to hear. Hopefully he lands on his feet soon. Good luck, Anthony!

(those star wars action figures don't take care of themselves, you know)

Also, he said some stupid shit, he apologized for it. No need to bring it back if he's been chill since then and not starting shit over and over again like some other developers/journalists. Some cats around here need to lay off their posting regimen if they feel personally offended when a social site gets called out.

Never tried Daylight but I hope he finds something new soon, something that's a good fit for him. He really seems like a good dude. He's definitely the best part of Rebel FM, but I can't listen to it anymore. Matt and Arthur are just too horrible.

Good luck, Anthony.

soultron

Banned
CM is a tough job, especially post release. If there's nothing for you to move onto, or a community (typically with MP games, for example) to continue to engage with for future content, you might get laid off.

Also, I can't see Zombie continuing with traditional paid games. Blacklight probably earns more, I'm guessing.

traveler

Not Wario
I think it's the hivemind BS. If some people said stupid shit, call them out. Now to completely bundle everybody up into a huge entity? It's stupid. It's no different than when someone drives by post and calls it Sonygaf etc etc.

On the flip side, pretending largely true generalizations (and, granted, it is up for debate if most of the blanket GAF insults actually target real microcosms within the community or simply imaginary crowds) are addressed directly to each and every person specifically, and then objecting on the grounds that you would never be guilty of the inflammatory behavior the person is blanketing you with is the video game message board equivalent of #NotAllMen.

Vinc

What he said about NeoGAF sucks, but his apology makes it all okay. It's very unfortunate that he's unemployed, I hope he finds something very soon.

On the flip side, pretending largely true generalizations (and, granted, it is up for debate if most of the blanket GAF insults actually target real microcosms within the community or simply imaginary crowds) are addressed directly to each and every person specifically, and then objecting on the grounds that you would never be guilty of the inflammatory behavior the person is blanketing you with is the video game message board equivalent of #NotAllMen.

Well, he DID say "All of Neogaf". But like I said, I think the apology is enough and I'm sure he's genuinely smart enough to realize that statement was a bit uncalled for.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
It could easily be a combination of things and it's not nice to speculate as to why the poor fella lost his job. I would seriously doubt it's due purely to quality though, fuck sake Zombie Studios have been churning out mediocre shite for over 15 years. Good luck to you Anthony regardless of what you do in the future.

Squire

Banned
Apologies don't suddenly make wrongs done in the past acceptable. It's still something to remember, despite his apology.

Well that's petty...

Um, I do. I don't think his Twitter comment was a big deal, for the record, so you don't have to make it sound like I think it is.

Honestly, you'd think he spat on someone the way your post was worded. That's just how it read.

Big fan of him on the Comedy Button and he was great at IGN.
Wasn't Daylight in development well before Gallegos was hired? It seems wrong that he'd taking the fall for this. Or maybe the game isn't selling as well as they need it to and they're being forced to lay people off? Either way, I hate to see this.
Good luck Anthony, hope you find work soon.

Question: Do you think that an apology means that one should forget about what drove the apology in the first place?
Doesn't matter. Be the bigger person and move on.

Moving on, good luck with finding a new job, duder. At least you can say you've shipped a game now. Hopefully you'll land somewhere soon.

Just goes to show you, criticizing games won't make you a better game designer.
Also had no idea Jessica Chobot was involved in this.

Jharp

As someone who's been following Chuf since the GFW days, and still listening to Rebel FM and TCB, I hope he does well after this shitty situation.

The shittiest part is that he packed up his life and moved from the Bay up to Seattle to take a gamble on a big career move, and now they're just letting him go. I hope he at least got a good severance package out of it.

On the plus side, there's a vibrant development scene in his neck of the woods, so hopefully he'll get picked up by someone like 343, Sucker Punch, or Valve. Would be real shitty if he was forced to endure another move.

But as long as I can keep hearing him on Rebel FM and TCB, I'll be happy. After Tyler left Rebel FM, Chuf is the only reason to keep listening, and I find myself ignoring most of the episodes he's absent for. He's the final remaining reason to listen to it.

L Thammy

What gaffer here reads an insult to "GAF" and really thinks "they're talking about ME. How dare you!"

Well, a guy changed a post on his blog to something like "stop linking my blog neogaf you cumchuggers" after I included it in a thread.
Normally it's just a dumb generalization though. People like to refer to the Internet (or sections thereof) as if they are a single person.

Squire

Banned
FWIW: David Ellis from 343i reached out over Twitter.

I am not saying Chuf is working on Halo.

Ellis just told him to check his IMs. So, perhaps the future is bright.

Sorry to hear that. He uprooted his life to move to Seattle. I hope this means that he comes back to San Francisco, his friends and his beloved burritos.

I love him on the Comedy Button and if you're a fan you know he put in a lot of work on "Daylight" and he even had to miss many episodes because of pulling 10+ hour shifts trying to finish the game.

Maybe this means he can get a job in game design at a studio in CA.

FaintDeftone

I like Anthony. He was fun to listen to when he appeared with The Brodeo. I remember when the gang was trying to help him pick up some chick who worked at Gamestop.

FluxWaveZ

I'm kinda confused right now, honestly. Guys, point to a comment or something saying I actually cared about him calling all of NeoGAF anal assholes because... I don't?

Not forgetting something doesn't equal not forgiving something, I hope you realize. The comment I made was in response to Psycho Powaa pointing out the apology to people who were discovering the Twitter comment, which is fair because the apology did make the situation better and it's obviously not something someone should be holding a grudge over.

jett

D-Member
That sucks mayne. I remember when this game was first unveiled it looked promising and had a small amount of hype behind it. I guess it turned out to be awful? :p Gaf's own Element also worked on it, I wonder how's he doing.

hwy_61

Banned
I'm kinda confused right now, honestly. Guys, point to a comment or something saying I actually cared about him calling all of NeoGAF anal assholes because... I don't?

Not forgetting something doesn't equal not forgiving something, I hope you realize.

If you didn't care, you wouldn't have taken the time to post this passive agressive comment:

Apologies don't suddenly make wrongs done in the past acceptable. It's still something to remember, despite his apology.

It's obvious that you DO care.

FluxWaveZ

If you didn't care, you wouldn't have taken the time to post this passive agressive comment:

It's obvious that you DO care.

Thought so; this is a situation of reading into things too deeply. If it was meant to be passive aggressive, I'd make it clear.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Sucks to get laid off, regardless of the circumstance. Hope Chuf can land on his feet doing something soon. Even if it is not games related, gotta have money coming in.

Top Bottom