• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anthony Gallegos (Daylight) laid off

Not to go off topic here, but why do people (journalist, devs) get mad at GAF for just stating the truth or correcting people when they're wrong? It really makes no sense. Why is it ok for journalists or devs to spread false information...

Vibranium

Banned
Never want people to be out of a job but Daylight was a terrible game. Huge disappointment.

The story wasn't very impressive too (checked out a walkthrough). They should have picked a fan not in the games industry to write the story, instead of Chobot. That still makes me mad that they ran a contest like that and could have possibly gotten better submissions.

Scarecrow

That's a shame. But, having a completed game, even a bad one, under your belt is a good resume booster, or so I hear.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
It's a bit weird since he was such a recent hire, but I assume because he was the most junior person, he would be the first to be let go if the studio is having problems.
All the best to him... presumably he knows some people up in the area who might help him at least.

Always sucks, hopefully someone swoops him and that he continues his more positive outlook on life. Bring on some more Comedy Button! As well :)

Have not tried the game. At least he is making games, if the game was bad I hope he learns from the experience, and I hope he gets a job soon.

Omega

Banned
Guys, Anthony Gallegos apologized about that tweet months ago...

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=101891576&postcount=99

"sorry for insulting potential customers and sticking up for someone who was too stupid/lazy to do research and fall back on the "lol internet nerds" defense"

because hey, why the hell should anyone make sure what they're reporting is legitimate?

Why do people get so worked up when someone insults GAF? It's not like they're coming after your loved ones. It's a discussion forum. Unless someone is directly calling you out, don't fret.

Who cares if they insult GAF. It's why they're doing it.

Instead of just admitting they fucked up on something, it's always "those guys are assholes"

Yep. we're assholes because instead of making sure you're writing facts, you were just thinking about that sweet bribe some publisher just gave you. Shit, you don't even need to do research, play the damn games yourself.

coldone

It is not the right time to discuss what he posted on twitter about 720p/1080p before. Every one says some thing at the heat of the moment.

All the best Anthony. Best wishes for you to land another great job. Lot of times bad events are gateway to new and better adventures.

He joined the Daylight team week after the game started production, as far as I know. It's so sad to know he moved all the way to Seattle only to have this happen.

But good for him for taking the chance in the first place. I wish him the best.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
All of the people that are on NeoGAF who actually are anal for starters. - Look around, there's plenty.
Anybody who thinks twice about GAF getting jabbed on Twitter is definitely part of the problem.

I can only speculate how much he had to do with everything wrong with Daylight (lots and lots and lots of things) but I hope he lands on his feet.

And that the next game he works on turns out a lot better.

Renekton

What he said about NeoGAF sucks, but his apology makes it all okay. It's very unfortunate that he's unemployed, I hope he finds something very soon.

Well, he DID say "All of Neogaf". But like I said, I think the apology is enough and I'm sure he's genuinely smart enough to realize that statement was a bit uncalled for.
Since when are NeoGAF posters so sacred and cannot be insulted? If we dish it out the way we do (some of the posts are really really mean), we should be able to take it.

At the end of the day, many of us are still disgruntled gaming nobodies venting our life frustrations via the safety of internet anonymity.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
Since when are NeoGAF posters so sacred and cannot be insulted? If we dish it out the way we do (some of the posts are really really mean), we should be able to take it.

At the end of the day, many of us are still disgruntled gaming nobodies venting our life frustrations via the safety of internet anonymity.

Some people like to poke bee hives.. then get all upset when the bees come out.. then they want to blow up the bee hives with C4 because the bees got mad.

I ain't mad at the comment he made... I thought it was kinda funny.. it is amusing how personal people took it though.

Squire

Banned
Some people like to poke bee hives.. then get all upset when the bees come out.. then they want to blow up the bee hives with C4 because the bees got mad.

Bee hive analogy is a poor choice when that's exactly what GAF is often called - a hive mind - and many rebut that it is not.

If GAF isn't a hive mind, then it shouldn't behave as one.

Abraxas

Anthony, if your reading this, I think Giant Bomb West just lost a crucial podcast member, fancy getting back in the journo game?

Anyway, he's a great guy, and talented to the point that I know he'll be fine.

Tripon

Anthony, if your reading this, I think Giant Bomb West just lost a crucial podcast member, fancy getting back in the journo game?

Anyway, he's a great guy, and talented to the point that I know he'll be fine.

GB already made their hires to replace Vinny.

Vibranium

Banned
Chobot keeps her job lol?, seriously that Polygon documentary/promo made it seem like she invented the entire game

She's just a writer, and a lot in the games industry are freelance. I doubt she will be writing many more game stories anytime soon though.

Anyways, I can forgive Anthony for his GAF comments and frustration is understandable. I hope he lands back on his feet at a good studio. Obsidian would be an awesome place to work in my opinion.

Amir0x

Banned
yeah the game was really extraordinarily bad, there's no two ways about it. If that's the reason he got laid off... well... I'm all for second, third, fourth chances, whatever, as long as the guy legitimately wants to improve. But the game was really bad. Like reaaally bad. So I hope he learned a lot from this experience and applies them to wherever he gets hired next :)

Nachos

"sorry for insulting potential customers and sticking up for someone who was too stupid/lazy to do research and fall back on the "lol internet nerds" defense"

because hey, why the hell should anyone make sure what they're reporting is legitimate?

Who cares if they insult GAF. It's why they're doing it.

Instead of just admitting they fucked up on something, it's always "those guys are assholes"

Yep. we're assholes because instead of making sure you're writing facts, you were just thinking about that sweet bribe some publisher just gave you. Shit, you don't even need to do research, play the damn games yourself.

Internet journalism!

Sorry, but you're simply putting far too much weight behind comments made on a service structured around making transient thoughts and shooting them out into the world. You could certainly make the argument that as an employee of a company, his public persona is too incongruous with how it should be conducted, but I don't think anyone should be held too beholden to something that's not a formal writing piece. Does that absolve him off any responsibility? Not necessarily, but with 30K followers, that just means that there are plenty more people to attack you for any opinion from all sorts of directions. Plus, considering it's IGN, I wouldn't be surprised if some of the responses were particularly shitty, considering the audience.

Thought so; this is a situation of reading into things too deeply. If it was meant to be passive aggressive, I'd make it clear.
That should normally go without saying, so why bother making the comment at all? Do you say the same thing when a server at McDonald's forgets to put pickles on a burger? If it truly isn't that big a deal, then why act at all, particularly in a way that could be so misconstrued?

---

Anyway, I hope Chuf lands on his feet soon. I've been listening to the dude for like six years now, and I know he's good people.

Vinc

He can attack us if he wants, but it doesn't make it fair or ok? I'm a neogaf member, so he was insulting me for absolutely no reason. That wasn't a nice, professional, or even fair thing to do, so I didn't like it. His apology sounded perfectly genuine so he was forgiven with no harm done. I'm not interested in daylight, but I hope he has a successful career that brings him a lot of happiness. I hope he finds a job in his field ASAP.

I know that some posts here are mean, but I try to avoid that, and comments like the one he made are uncalled for, stupid, and only fuel aggressivity that is childish and unnecessary. Making comments like that can happen to everyone though, sometimes we talk without thinking. Apologizing was the right thing to do and he was forgiven. That's about it.

Nachos

Poor Chuf, I hope he lands on his feet so he can fullfill his dream of doors in video games that explode.

He should create a company that makes the exploding door equivalent of Speed tree with Scoville. Figure out a way to work raccoons in there while they're at it.

JDSN

Banned
I hope Chuff learned a lot from the experience and tries to stick in that side from the fence instead of returning to game journalism.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
Bee hive analogy is a poor choice when that's exactly what GAF is often called - a hive mind - and many rebut that it is not.

If GAF isn't a hive mind, then it shouldn't behave as one.

The hive I mentioned wasn't GAF.. it was the other side. I was implying some on GAF like to poke beehives.

Andodalf

Banned
I hope he gets his job back at IGN, I hate to see anyone our of work.

Nvm, just saw his tweets about Neogaf. Bye bye.

Like what?

I'm not familiar with the game.

Well, it has a really bad method of gating the next level. Like, a I-can't-believe-they-thought-this-was-a-good-idea sort of "bad."

If you want to see it in action, Giant Bomb has a Quick Look Solo of Daylight featuring Patrick Klepek. The poor design in the game is made readily apparent partway through the video - you'll know it when you see it. It's a really dire design decision on their part.

I would tell you myself, but seeing it in action is much more powerful, such that I don't want to spoil it.

Well, it has a really bad method of gating the next level. Like, a I-can't-believe-they-thought-this-was-a-good-idea sort of "bad."

If you want to see it in action, Giant Bomb has a Quick Look Solo of Daylight featuring Patrick Klepek. The poor design in the game is made readily apparent partway through the video - you'll know it when you see it. It's a really dire design decision on their part.

I would tell you myself, but seeing it in action is much more powerful, such that I don't want to spoil it.

If you want to tell me out right, go for it, cause I'd rather not watch 30 minutes of gameplay :p

ed

Skipped around, heard him mention something about Twitter/Twitch? Please tell me they didn't bring Twitch Plays Pokemon like stuff into a single player game.

Renekton

(Nothing against you friend, I'm just thinking out loud)

He can attack us if he wants, but it doesn't make it fair or ok? I'm a neogaf member, so he was insulting me for absolutely no reason.
For the posters who attacked him, did they apologize to him? Do we actively chastise them for their behavior? In the end when we join a collective, like a political party, we can have individual thoughts but will be still defined by the opinions most vocal.

That wasn't a nice, professional, or even fair thing to do, so I didn't like it.

I know that some posts here are mean, but I try to avoid that, and comments like the one he made are uncalled for, stupid, and only fuel aggressivity that is childish and unnecessary.
I do take some issue with us making arbitrary standards on what is appropriate, childish or professional. I mean, what do we know about professionalism? Do we have experience working in this type of environment? It's weird when we are judging people with standards which are not applied to our own, from the safety of our anonymity so our expressed internet convictions are disjointed from our actual RL history.

FluxWaveZ

That should normally go without saying, so why bother making the comment at all? Do you say the same thing when a server at McDonald's forgets to put pickles on a burger? If it truly isn't that big a deal, then why act at all, particularly in a way that could be so misconstrued?

Because I was replying to someone's comment that made it seem that way. I don't care if people misconstrued the intent because they are so quick to attempt to read between the lines and infer offense; the reason I made the statement in the first place is because it was part of a reply after I posted the link to the thread.

For the McDonald's example, it's the exact same thing I would have stated, so yes, it goes without saying, unless someone implies otherwise. Apparently, for many other people, it doesn't go without saying, as you can observe.

manual4

Banned
lol, hope he gets a new job quick.

edit: nvm, he can f off and get a job.

edit: saw his apology, good luck big guy.

mujun

That sucks! I'm a fan and he's one of the things that I like about Rebel FM.

I also don't care about his comments on GAF.

Carl2282

when are all the personalities from the old gfw and 1up going to realize i'd pay money for them to do like weekly podcasts
Seriously like real american dollars

Such a shame. I listen to the Comedy Button, and Anthony moved all the way to Seattle from San Francisco for this job. There were some emotional moments on that podcast because of his move, and Anthony missed a lot of episodes too.

Hope he lands on his feet.

Top Bottom