• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone here ever mod their Switch. Going to do it this weekend.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I hate the restrictions on the Switch with cheats and being able to backup saves and stuff, so I decided I'm going to mod it. I've read a bunch of guides on how to do it and browsed a few subreddits and this seems to be the consensus most up to date and best guide to use with lowest risk of getting your system banned by following it:

I'm doing EmuNAND not sysNAND(not modding the console itself).

I plan on installing JKSV for save management and EdiZon for cheats stuff.

If anyone has done it, is it as seamless at it appears? Can't be that long or difficult to do, right? The guides seem pretty straight forward.

For those who've done it, curious about your experiences with it and if you regretted doing it. The only downside I've seen is it Atmosphere has some type of bug with one of the latest updates, you have to wait for them to fix it before you can play(if it's a bad enough bug to hurt your gaming experience). But I suppose that can happen with official system updates as well.

Any tips and advice welcome

KungFucius

King Snowflake
Its easy to do and if you have a hackable one you are bound to hack it at some point. Cheats are funny. If you use the default settings it enables them all. This may cause some games to crash because some cheats are basically gameplay mods and different ones may have conflicts. As a PC gamer first, I like the ability to do whatever I want with the system and the games. I get why they don't want to allow any freedom, but it still sucks.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Its easy to do and if you have a hackable one you are bound to hack it at some point. Cheats are funny. If you use the default settings it enables them all. This may cause some games to crash because some cheats are basically gameplay mods and different ones may have conflicts. As a PC gamer first, I like the ability to do whatever I want with the system and the games. I get why they don't want to allow any freedom, but it still sucks.
The main reason I want to use cheats is I’ve amassed an incredibly long backlog over the years and I realized OL never have time to get through them all if they require grinding to complete unless I use cheats to cut down on the grindy elements in some of the games. Particularly the RPGs. So I don’t want dozens of hours doing the same repetitive things over and over. That’s time I could be spending on other games.

Are you willing to accept your switch will never be safe online again? Even with Emunand there is chance of getting ban. Or just do a self imposed exile. Which do you have? only the original can be hack with nothing install other than the jumper. Other than that you need a chip, chip are in high demand.

Last edited:

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Are you willing to accept your switch will never be safe online again? Even with Emunand there is chance of getting ban. Or just do a self imposed exile. Which do you have? only the original can be hack with nothing install other than the jumper. Other than that you need a chip, chip are in high demand.
I wasn’t planning to go online on emunand. Only on my base switch

Pejo

Gold Member
I was going to mod my launch switch when the switch HD came out, but that never happened. Now I don't really need to because I'll be getting a Deck in a few months so I can just do emulators on that. Looks like it's gotten easier to do though, which is always good.

Very easy to do, worth the small learning curve to do it. Make sure you back up your SysNand, install incognito to hide your keys in emunand (in case you forget and try to go into eshop etc). don't lose your back up! also- either have autoRCM on, or just make sure to always charge before dying (especially if you're traveling with it)!

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Very easy to do, worth the small learning curve to do it. Make sure you back up your SysNand, install incognito to hide your keys in emunand (in case you forget and try to go into eshop etc). don't lose your back up! also- either have autoRCM on, or just make sure to always charge before dying (especially if you're traveling with it)!
I was recommended Exosphere over Incognito, though I was also told both were fine either way.

I think the guide I'm using backs up my sysnand. I guess when I back it up, I can store the backup also on a hard drive or PC somewhere just in case?

Ryu Kaiba

It's not worth it in my opinion. You have to re-hack it every time it turns off and you risk your account getting banned if it connects to the internet.
I was planning to do it until I learned about those to caveats, also I don't care about emulation like I used to.
Ended up selling my OG and getting the OLED and I'm very pleased with it.

Top Bottom