• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AP:Duterte compares drug killings to Hitler, he'd be happy to kill 3 millions addicts

Status
Not open for further replies.
No I get it. We all have that good ol' father figure who advocates brutally torturing and murdering the unwanted and leaving their corpses in the street. It's perfectly normal politics.

What's shocking is how the utterly insane psychopath who advocated murder, could be a twisted dictator who slaughters those who oppose him. I truly mean it...who could have seen that coming? Who knew?!

To all of you who supported him...if it took until he compared himself positively to Hitler, to realize he was a piece of shit....Not sure what to say.

Well first off I'm not a Filipino citizen, I only went there for school, so I only had limited exposure to their politics.

Second I just admitted I did not see this coming, he hid his psychopathic personality very well. It's not like he campaigned under the I'm going to commit genocide banner. He was the law and order candidate, the city he was in charge of was considered one of the safest in the world (guess we now know why). People were far more concerned about electing someone with a track record of getting results because the previous president was basically elected because of his family name and was pretty ineffective.

If you lived there during the elections you would understand. He ran a flawless campaign really.

This idiot legit made me leave lol. I've already set up moving back to the UK. Fuck this country, tbh. Fuck that cunt duterte and fuck the idiots that idolize him even harder.

darkwing

I have to admit I supported his candidacy while I was living in Manila earlier this year. I had no idea he was this crazy. I mean he said it would be bloody but shit man he's not only cracking down on small time shit, he's cracking down on political dissent, and that's the most frightening aspect of it. His most outspoken critic in the Senate has already been accused of having ties to drug lords.

and sex videos

Hmm hmm.

Ok.

Sigh I guess you are going to hold it personally against me? I did say I'm sorry for supporting him.

I honestly didn't know he was going to take it that far. When he said it was going to be bloody I thought he was going to do things legally.

He just compared himself to Hitler and considered it a favorable comparison.

And people defend this guy?

This guy?
I think the idea is that everyone who's ever become addicted to a substance is basically a Hitler analog, and every day he's killing Hitlers without due process. So goodbye GAF, you video game obsessed Hitlers.

What a piece of shit.

Sigh I guess you are going to hold it personally against me? I did say I'm sorry for supporting him.

I honestly didn't know he was going to take it that far. When he said it was going to be bloody I thought he was going to do things legally.
Law and Order

KRod-57

Banned
Can we have warrants issued for this guys' arrest, like how European countries issued warrants for George W Bush and Dick Cheney's arrest?

Again, to reiterate: while it isn't exactly rosy in the Philippines, it's far from a crime haven. Normal people can still go about their business without fear of being killed or kidnapped. This isn't exactly Somalia or Syria. Things were actually getting better everyday to boot, as the economy has been growing for a decade now.

Now? The street gangs and organize crime syndicates are now using all this vigilante BS as a cover to kill whoever they want, whenever they want. All they have to do is claim that whoever they killed was associated with drugs. It really is literally biting your nose to spite your face situation now.

If you were not living in the Philippines at the time it's hard to understand how he was able to get elected. He was charismatic, straight forward, tough. He didn't promise to make everyone rich, only that he would fight drugs and crime. There were stories about the Davao death squada, but for me I didn't think he was really the guy giving out the orders.

I don't think anyone that was not living in the Philippines at the time can really understand how he was able to get elected. He was charismatic, straight forward, tough. He didn't promise to make everyone rich, only that he would fight drugs and crime. There were stories about the Davao death squada, but for me I didn't think he was really the guy giving out the orders.
You're like a living parable for all the Americans still awake

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
I don't think anyone that was not living in the Philippines at the time can really understand how he was able to get elected. He was charismatic, straight forward, tough. He didn't promise to make everyone rich, only that he would fight drugs and crime. There were stories about the Davao death squada, but for me I didn't think he was really the guy giving out the orders.

A nation full of devout Catholics looking the other way (or worse cheering on) the murder of countless people.

My Filipino colleagues here in Australia can't believe what's happening back home.

For all the shit people gave Americans, they seem to be the ones putting up an honest resistance against falling into insanity this year.

Ozigizo

I am American and I have never supported Trump. There's similarities no doubt but I felt Duterte was far more qualified to be president than Trump is.

Weren't the death squad and rape statements all made prior to his election?

I mean, I don't really understand what you expected.

DonMigs85

The man is an absolute unfiltered kook and I really think he has some sort of mental illness. He also hates any criticism and insults anyone who goes against him. A complete hypocrite considering he said he would become more proper after winning the election.
He also seems to have this personal vendetta against the US and wants to become buddy-buddy with Russia and China, the wannabe communist.

duckroll

The man is an absolute unfiltered kook and I really think he has some sort of mental illness. He also hates any criticism and insults anyone who goes against him. A complete hypocrite considering he said he would become more proper after winning the election.
He also seems to have this personal vendetta against the US and wants to become buddy-buddy with Russia and China, the wannabe communist.

He doesn't have a mental illness. He's just 71 years old. :p

Weren't the death squad and rape statements all made prior to his election?

I mean, I don't really understand what you expected.

Like I said the death squads I didn't think he was the guy that actually formed them and gave them orders. In my mind they were an independent vigilante group.

The rape statement was bad but when compared to corruption problem, people didn't care too much, and of course there was the I was just joking explanation.

He really ran a flawless campaign, it's hard to understand unless you saw it first hand.

DonMigs85

He doesn't have a mental illness. He's just 71 years old. :p
Yeah, he's also the typical grumpy old a-hole who doesn't GAF about the way he behaves. Rumor has it he may also be concealing a terminal illness like cancer or something which likely further contributes to his outrageous behavior. He and Trump would likely get along great if the latter wasn't such a white supremacist.

XBP

I have coworkers from the Philippines who swear by this guy so I'm not sure what to say. What is doing is fucked up but the guy has an enormous amount of support. If this is what majority of the people want then I guess he's doing what he's supposed to do.

noface

But you see the Filipinos are tired of the curruption and they feel like this is the only guy who can fix it. You pampered Americans shouldn't judge them. You have no idea how bad it is down there. Just mind your business and go back to your meal clapping.

Thanks but I'm not American and still think this guy is a crazy mass murderer.

Cerium

Like I said the death squads I didn't think he was the guy that actually formed them and gave them orders. In my mind they were an independent vigilante group.

The rape statement was bad but when compared to corruption problem, people didn't care too much, and of course there was the I was just joking explanation.

He really ran a flawless campaign, it's hard to understand unless you saw it first hand.

We had multiple threads on GAF about how crazy this guy was while he was still running.

Don't make excuses for his voters. We're not making any for Trump's deplorables.

We had multiple threads on GAF about how crazy this guy was while he was still running.

Don't make excuses for the voters. We're not making any for Trump's deplorables.

I really didn't follow those threads at the time I was busy with life (new baby and reviewing for exams, etc).

I'm not trying to make excuses for them, only for myself really. People want to think that he ran his campaign the same as the way he's running the country now, and that's not true.

Anyways I don't know how many ways I can say I was wrong, but boy I was wrong about him.

commedieu

Banned
I really didn't follow those threads at the time I was busy with life (new baby and reviewing for exams, etc).

I'm not trying to make excuses for them, only for myself really. People want to think that he ran his campaign the same as the way he's running the country now, and that's not true.

Anyways I don't know how many ways I can say I was wrong, but boy I was wrong about him.

For someone not trying to make excuses... you sure seem to make a lot of excuses. You voted ignorantly, I'd just leave it at that. But don't try to make a case that the word wasn't out on this guy up to and during the campaign.

You didn't see it, but the information was out there.

For someone not trying to make excuses... you sure seem to make a lot of excuses. You voted ignorantly, I'd just leave it at that. But don't try to make a case that the word wasn't out on this guy up to and during the campaign.

You didn't see it, but the information was out there.

I didn't vote for him I said earlier Im a US citizen that went to school there. But I did think he could make the country a better place so I am guilty of supporting him.

I am just trying to get people to understand how he was able to get elected, I'm not defending him at all (at least anymore).

commedieu

Banned
I didn't vote for him I said earlier Im a US citizen that went to school there. But I did think he could make the country a better place so I am guilty of supporting him.

Eh. If thats the case... you've got no blood on your hands then. I missed that. I took supported as vote.

Ethelwulf

What a disgusting being. Certainly killing drug addicts will help. Look to what happened to Mexico. Drug war and a death toll higher than 120,000. Mexico does not consume nor import drugs anymore, of course.
Sarcasm spoiler just in case

I have to admit I supported his candidacy while I was living in Manila earlier this year. I had no idea he was this crazy. I mean he said it would be bloody but shit man he's not only cracking down on small time shit, he's cracking down on political dissent, and that's the most frightening aspect of it. His most outspoken critic in the Senate has already been accused of having ties to drug lords.

The problem with giving politicians unlimited power to solve a single problem is that you can't take it back when it's convenient.

I'm glad you learned your lesson.

Undead

I'm just back from having 6 weeks in The Philippines and not once did I feel unsafe during my trip, in fact the main differences I saw were more people walking around at night and a distinct lack of child beggars hounding you for money (the ones that get sent by their parents to do this shit).

The citizens feel happy with their choice if you ask them (even the expats who can't vote are happy), they now feel like they can walk the streets without harm coming to them, most of the people I know voted for Duterte based on his anti corruption stance instead of his drugs policy and they mostly feel like they have made the correct choice and who could blame them, they had to sit back for decades and see all this shit grow around them while previous presidents did fuck all to stop it because they too were getting their pockets lined and the people have simply had enough of the corruption.

Maybe if past presidents had actually done something about the mass corruption, things wouldn't have been so bad and Duterte would never have won.

If electing Duterte was a mistake then that is their mistake to learn on their own and then hopefully grow from that mistake but for many of them it's not a mistake because they see in the news almost every day about another corrupt official who has been arrested and that makes them happy.

For the record I do not like Duterte but I am not a Filipino citizen, I have no right to tell a citizen of a different country who they should or should not have vote for, this is something many people forget.
It's always easy for people to judge others while watching from the relative safety of their own country.

The problem with giving politicians unlimited power to solve a single problem is that you can't take it back when it's convenient.

I'm glad you learned your lesson.

The thing is he always positioned himself as the reluctant candidate, he only ran because the people wanted him too, he had no interest in power. Well now we see this is what he wanted all along.

Cerium

#imwithher
you asshole

Anyways I know I deserve it... The sad part for me is my fiancee and baby girl are still there I really fear he's wants to break off all relations with the US.

He literally can't. We give them too much money annually, they rely on that shit. That's why he backed down when Obama cancelled their meeting.

China ain't gonna pay the difference.

I'm just back from having 6 weeks in The Philippines and not once did I feel unsafe during my trip, in fact the main differences I saw were more people walking around at night and a distinct lack of child beggars hounding you for money (the ones that get sent by their parents to do this shit).

The citizens feel happy with their choice if you ask them (even the expats who can't vote are happy), they now feel like they can walk the streets without harm coming to them, most of the people I know voted for Duterte based on his anti corruption stance instead of his drugs policy and they mostly feel like they have made the correct choice and who could blame them, they had to sit back for decades and see all this shit grow around them while previous presidents did fuck all to stop it because they too were getting their pockets lined and the people have simply had enough of the corruption.

Maybe if past presidents had actually done something about the mass corruption, things wouldn't have been so bad and Duterte would never have won.

If electing Duterte was a mistake then that is their mistake to learn on their own and then hopefully grow from that mistake but for many of them it's not a mistake because they see in the news almost every day about another corrupt official who has been arrested and that makes them happy.

For the record I do not like Duterte but I am not a Filipino citizen, I have no right to tell a citizen of a different country who they should or should not have vote for, this is something many people forget.
It's always easy for people to judge others while watching from the relative safety of their own country.

Going by Duterte's own comparison, this is like praising Hitler for getting trains to run on time while attacking non-German citizens for being critical of Hitler gassing Jews.

I mean, Duterte is literally inviting the comparison!

We have Duterte calling for a Holocaust of drug addicts (Spoilers: People who are not well off generally) and people are like "but but bu-moral relativism!"

Moral relativism was a mistake.

He probably does love the guy but hasn't had the opportunity to say it.
I doubt Trump has ever even heard of the guy, and his opinion on him would depend entirely on how the question was posed. Either:

"He's a bad guy. The worst."

Or:

"He's a great leader. The best."

Or if he's playing it safe:

"I'll have to look at that."

He literally can't. We give them too much money annually, they rely on that shit. That's why he backed down when Obama cancelled their meeting.

China ain't gonna pay the difference.

I don't know, the way he is now he makes Trump look rational. I'm sure everyone around him is saying no we can't do that, but the more he's criticized by the US govt, the more he antagonizes them. Rhetoric can only go so far, at some point he will act on it.

Chuckie

Going by Duterte's own comparison, this is like praising Hitler for getting trains to run on time while attacking non-German citizens for being critical of Hitler gassing Jews.

I mean, Duterte is literally inviting the comparison!

We have Duterte calling for a Holocaust of drug addicts (Spoilers: People who are not well off generally) and people are like "but but bu-moral relativism!"

Moral relativism was a mistake.

This always happens unfortunately. In Indonesia Soeharto was a brutal dictator who jailed dissidents, banned free press and destroyed the economy with nepotism... yet it was all better because it was 'safe' on the streets.

If you were not living in the Philippines at the time it's hard to understand how he was able to get elected. He was charismatic, straight forward, tough. He didn't promise to make everyone rich, only that he would fight drugs and crime. There were stories about the Davao death squada, but for me I didn't think he was really the guy giving out the orders.

Oh I understand exactly how he got elected. Filipinos are easily swayed by personality more than policy,and he was the loudest of the bunch. It happened with Marcos, it happened with Erap, and it's happening again with Duterte. Pacqiao won a senate seat for chrissake!

I have seen it first hand, and continue to see it all the time. Just look at how dynasties and nepotism are a fact of life in Philippine political discourse. A person literally lists being related to someone in power as a pre-requisite for winning a contested seat. It's not very uncommon to see someone's spouse take over a position just because the other spouse died. It happened with Aquino, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom