• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AP:Duterte compares drug killings to Hitler, he'd be happy to kill 3 millions addicts

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit
Again, to reiterate: while it isn't exactly rosy in the Philippines, it's far from a crime haven. Normal people can still go about their business without fear of being killed or kidnapped. This isn't exactly Somalia or Syria. Things were actually getting better everyday to boot, as the economy has been growing for a decade now.

Now? The street gangs and organize crime syndicates are now using all this vigilante BS as a cover to kill whoever they want, whenever they want. All they have to do is claim that whoever they killed was associated with drugs. It really is literally biting your nose to spite your face situation now.

What happens when that neighbour you had a disagreement with accuses you of being a drug dealer and/or user?

Edit: Sorry, I see you addressed that.

I work at 6pm to 3am shifts and my travel time going home is about 1 and a half hour. There is an increase in the number of checkpoints, but that doesn't mean all areas of Metro Manila are safe. You can still roam the business areas safely at night, but I don't think you are that safe on most poor residential areas (specially squatter areas).

The initiative of Duterte is good. The implementation is still 50/50.

As for the genocide remarks, I don't think he'll do it. This conflicts with the earlier plans of the rehabilitation of the drug addicts. Not that it is an excuse, comparing yourself to a genocidal maniac is insane.

You seriously don't see the problem here? Why wouldn't he go through with what he said he's going to do? He has so far, right? What happens when YOU get accused of using or selling drugs?

Reading threads like these it's kind of easy to see how mass killings and eventual genocides get rationalized and internalized.

There are people who honestly think that open, brazen, murderous intent is a cure-all for problem A, then problem B, then problem C. They downplay reports of brutality and escalating numbers as propaganda. They take clear statements of intent from demagogues as mere rhetoric that obviously people don't really believe. And as the numbers climb, "one million is a statistic" works its way in so they don't have to think about individual tragedies.

When the smoke clears they wash their hands of it and claim they never thought it would get this bad. And they move on with their lives, stepping over a pile of corpses.

EYEL1NER

His most outspoken critic in the Senate has already been accused of having ties to drug lords.

and sex videos
Is that de Lima you are talking about? I keep seeing in-laws and friends talking about her and posting videos and articles about her non-stop, saying pretty vile things about her (from what Facebook translate can tell me, anyway) but I haven't tried to figure out what exactly is going on yet. It is obvious that she is not pro-Duterte, so I know if I ask any of these people to explain the situation, they'll just feed me a bunch of bullshit.

kmfdmpig

I am American and I have never supported Trump. There's similarities no doubt but I felt Duterte was far more qualified to be president than Trump is.

As awful as Trump is (worst candidate in my lifetime), Duterte seems to be even worse. Well done, Phillipines. You elected a piece of shit. Let's hope the US does not make the same mistake with Trump.

darkwing

Is that de Lima you are talking about? I keep seeing in-laws and friends talking about her and posting videos and articles about her non-stop, saying pretty vile things about her (from what Facebook translate can tell me, anyway) but I haven't tried to figure out what exactly is going on yet. It is obvious that she is not pro-Duterte, so I know if I ask any of these people to explain the situation, they'll just feed me a bunch of bullshit.

yup, don't mind them, it's because she criticized the President, now all of these things have been coming out

you can see why people here are afraid to speak out

Gattsu25

Banned
Again, to reiterate: while it isn't exactly rosy in the Philippines, it's far from a crime haven. Normal people can still go about their business without fear of being killed or kidnapped. This isn't exactly Somalia or Syria. Things were actually getting better everyday to boot, as the economy has been growing for a decade now.

Now? The street gangs and organize crime syndicates are now using all this vigilante BS as a cover to kill whoever they want, whenever they want. All they have to do is claim that whoever they killed was associated with drugs. It really is literally biting your nose to spite your face situation now.
Your second paragraph is EXACTLY what happens whenever there are government supported death squads to abate 'crime'. Everyone saw that coming and it's not going to get better. The Philippines weren't the first country to fall into this madness and it won't be the last.

The other thread with how a girl is getting 54 years in the US for weed is insane, but getting carte blanke to straight up murder people with out recourse for drugs, that's insanely terrifying. Endorsing mass murder towards a genocidal scale is just monstrous.

Raysoul

You seriously don't see the problem here? Why wouldn't he go through with what he said he's going to do? He has so far, right? What happens when YOU get accused of using or selling drugs?

Oi calm your tits. Of course I'll be furious if I would be accused or if someone I know would be killed in this bullshit. Do I have to always place a "I'm not a Duterte fan" on this kind of threads?

Assuming he literally wants to kill all addicts, that would cause an uproar specially on the poor community. It would also cause a huge collateral damage as there would be more innocents who would be killed.

Duterte might be insane or foul-mouthed, but he is not that dumb.

As awful as Trump is (worst candidate in my lifetime), Duterte seems to be even worse. Well done, Phillipines. You elected a piece of shit. Let's hope the US does not make the same mistake with Trump.

Trump is a Racist bastard. Duterte is not.

Gattsu25

Banned
As someone who is against Trump: actions speak louder than words

When it comes to his action, Trump has ripped off thousands but he also hasn't murdered a goddamned soul so far while Duterte has killed thousands so far and this thread is him saying that he will be okay with a death toll in the damned millions.

Dude I've supported Duterte for a while, but enough is enough. The addicts? They are just idiots who took something too far, they're not evil. Rehabilitate them, make them productive members of society that give back instead of take. Easier to wipe the slate clean, but you'll make a happier populace and a more loyal populace by taking the hard route. Put the effort in for better results, and help justify your actions to the international community.

Gattsu25

Banned
Dude I've supported Duterte for a while, but enough is enough. The addicts? They are just idiots who took something too far, they're not evil. Rehabilitate them, make them productive members of society that give back instead of take. Easier to wipe the slate clean, but you'll make a happier populace and a more loyal populace by taking the hard route. Put the effort in for better results, and help justify your actions to the international community.

He been pro "let's murder the addicts" for months now:
July 13: Rodrigo Duterte Wants All Addicts, Dealers Dead As Police Kill 110 Suspects
http://www.ibtimes.com/philippines-...uterte-wants-all-addicts-dealers-dead-2391120

Jumeira

Banned
The danger with form of rhetoric is that the lines are easily blurred, hunting down and killing drug dealers with disregard to the degree of thier involvement is worrying. And the lack of evidence before an execution means this policy can be easily abused to kill innocent civilians. And I have no doubt people that subscribe to this form of intolerance have equally destructive outlook on other policies that they dont agree with.

Terrible display of brutality. It's like the Los Pepes, but with them ruling a country.

Gattsu25

Banned
The danger with form of rhetoric is that the lines are easily blurred, hunting down and killing drug dealers with disregard to the degree of thier involvement is worrying. And the lack of evidence before an execution means this policy can be easily abused to kill innocent civilians. And I have no doubt people that subscribe to this form of intolerance have equally destructive outlook on other policies that they dont agree with.

Terrible display of brutality. It's like the Los Pepes, but with them ruling a country.

This thread is him saying that he will be okay with murdering 3 million drug users, not dealers.

Why do folk keep going back to dealers (which would be horrible enough)?

If someone ever saw you smoking a cigarette and mistook it for weed, then the government will not look twice if you were to turn up dead. They won't investigate your murder anyway as long as there's some cardboard on your corpse.

Raysoul

As someone who is against Trump: actions speak louder than words

When it comes to his action, Trump has ripped off thousands but he also hasn't murdered a goddamned soul so far while Duterte has killed thousands so far and this thread is him saying that he will be okay with a death toll in the damned millions.

While I won't justify all Duterte's actions, he is always firm that his fight is against criminals, not race.

He been pro "let's murder the addicts" for months now:
July 13: Rodrigo Duterte Wants All Addicts, Dealers Dead As Police Kill 110 Suspects
http://www.ibtimes.com/philippines-...uterte-wants-all-addicts-dealers-dead-2391120

See, this is why I don't like how Duterte speaks. One time he is open for addicts to surrender, then he'll say he'll kill all of them. I hate to cite quotes from him because he is full of contradictions.

killatopak

Gold Member
A lot of context getting lost here. I'm not pro duterte or anti duterte but I've been watching the news and senate hearings regularly.

Yes he's very much against drugs. Drug lords and drug pushers to be specific. He's on all out fight against them.

Drug users on the other hand are told to surrender upon arrest. The police are told not to attack if the person being arrested isn't fighting back. Any police to do so would be subject to immediate dismissal and can be grounds for imprisonment as well.

There have been a lot of companies that are investing in building facilities to treat the users and such.

--

I would not believe in any international news at the moment. I'm more confident in local news because international news tend to miss some of the important aspects when they are making these articles. For example, the witness brought by De Lima and company during the senate hearings. International news treat what the witness says as facts already when after some interpolation and cross examination of the witness statements and his affidavit, it's very obvious he's lying. Like legit obvious lies. His statements change every session. Not minor changes but changes that make you wonder if he really knows what he's talking about.

On the other hand, Senate Chairperson Gordon believes that because President Duterte is so straight forward about his war on drugs, the drug pushers and drug lords are using that against him and perpetrating these "Vigilante" attacks. The people believe that the drug lords are killing their own men to avoid leaking info. The news is twisting it to make it seem like the police are killing them though. De Lima states that there are approximately 3000+ extra-judicial killings. Fact checking through them and it seems only 100+ of them are considered as such and even that is debatable. The other 2000+ killing are just padding added through like accidents and gun fights.

kmfdmpig

They are different shades of facists, idiots and pieces of shit. Trump is racist, a moron, and the fact that he is a major party candidate is a disgrace.

Duterte is a killer.

Trump shits on POWs, the parents of dead soldiers, and people who deign to criticize him.
Duterte makes jokes about victims of gang rape/murder, called Obama and the Pope sons of whores, the ambassador a gay son of a whore, compared himself to Hitler.

Duterte thinks that the more dead drug dealers killed the better, with no real understanding that letting people kill without repercussions is open to all sorts of corruption.

While Duterte may not be racist he's worse in many other ways.

A lot of context getting lost here. I'm not pro duterte or anti duterte but I've been watching the news and senate hearings regularly.

Yes he's very much against drugs. Drug lords and drug pushers to be specific. He's on all out fight against them.

Drug users on the other hand are told to surrender upon arrest. The police are told not to attack if the person being arrested isn't fighting back. Any police to do so would be subject to immediate dismissal and can be grounds for imprisonment as well.

There have been a lot of companies that are investing in building facilities to treat the users and such.

--

I would not believe in any international news at the moment. I'm more confident in local news because international news tend to miss some of the important aspects when they are making these articles. For example, the witness brought by De Lima and company during the senate hearings. International news treat what the witness says as facts already when after some interpolation and cross examination of the witness statements and his affidavit, it's very obvious he's lying. Like legit obvious lies. His statements change every session. Not minor changes but changes that make you wonder if he really knows what he's talking about.

On the other hand, Senate Chairperson Gordon believes that because President Duterte is so straight forward about his war on drugs, the drug pushers and drug lords are using that against him and perpetrating these "Vigilante" attacks. The people believe that the drug lords are killing their own men to avoid leaking info. The news is twisting it to make it seem like the police are killing them though. De Lima states that there are approximately 3000+ extra-judicial killings. Fact checking through them and it seems only 100+ of them are considered as such and even that is debatable. The other 2000+ killing are just padding added through like accidents and gun fights.

Funny you bring up Dick. He just posted on his Facebook against the killings. Guess even he had enough.

Jackpot

Banned

I would not believe in any international news at the moment. I'm more confident in local news because international news tend to miss some of the important aspects when they are making these articles.

What is this context that excuses repeated calls by him for mass-murder? He's very, very open about wanting to literally murder thousands. You're pretty much a poster child for this:

Reading threads like these it's kind of easy to see how mass killings and eventual genocides get rationalized and internalized.

There are people who honestly think that open, brazen, murderous intent is a cure-all for problem A, then problem B, then problem C. They downplay reports of brutality and escalating numbers as propaganda. They take clear statements of intent from demagogues as mere rhetoric that obviously people don't really believe. And as the numbers climb, "one million is a statistic" works its way in so they don't have to think about individual tragedies.

When the smoke clears they wash their hands of it and claim they never thought it would get this bad. And they move on with their lives, stepping over a pile of corpses.

Dick is a great Senator. You can actually see that he's very objective about the situations and is not biased.

He's great leader. Used to really admire him but even he has his flaws. Duterte is as much on him as Marcos is to Miriam. His endorsement (plus some dealings he has done) really made me dislike him a little bit.

kmfdmpig

What is this context that excuses repeated calls by him for mass-murder? He's very, very open about wanting to literally murder thousands. You're pretty much a poster child for this:

As you say, it's his direct quotes. Either Duterte is a petulant child who cannot control what he says and has public temper tantrums regularly or he truly means what he says. Either way he's unfit to be the head of a country.

killatopak

Gold Member

He's very much ready to kill but he doesn't if he's not forced to like anyone would do so. He literally publicly states the names of hundreds of government officials that are involved in drugs but is he pursuing them now like he states he would and murder them? He's still conscious of what is right and wrong to do especially with all the limelight that he gets.

On the other hand, the things he says during some interviews is just outright bad. He curses and berates reporters. He isn't respectful of anyone against him even on minor things.

Edit: I'm inclined to think that he just can't control what he says in the heat of the moment and it leads to situations such as this.

ss_lemonade

http://grpshorts.blogspot.com/2016/10/reporters-karen-lema-and-manuel-mogato.html?m=1

This is probably why he gets misunderstood like 99% of the time: 2 journalists making an article about Duterte likening himself to Hitler. Not once though did he say that. In fact, like I said earlier, he was trying to do the opposite: contrasting himself. The amazing thing is these journalists are filipinos themselves so it's not like they could have misinterpreted what Duterte said.

To me, Duterte should just stick to his prepared speeches.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
There are lunatics trying to get elected through cult of personality everywhere. No one "needs to be Filipino" to understand shit.

Usually people are smart enough to not elect them, though.

Jackpot

Banned
He literally publicly states the names of hundreds of government officials that are involved in drugs but is he pursuing them now like he states he would and murder them? He's still conscious of what is right and wrong to do especially with all the limelight that he gets.

That's your metric for still knowing what "right and wrong" is? Because he hasn't killed everyone he wants to? Does it occur to you that maybe government officials are better protected than randoms on the street?

What's you excuse for the 1200 attributed to death squads so far? Or Duterte's past killings whilst mayor?

http://www.latimes.com/opinion/edit...terte-china-killings-20160906-snap-story.html

Many of the dead, who include children as young as 4 years old, have been targeted based on little more than suspicion.

That 4 year old just another druggie who had it coming?

He's very much ready to kill but he doesn't if he's not forced to like anyone would do so. He literally publicly states the names of hundreds of government officials that are involved in drugs but is he pursuing them now like he states he would and murder them? He's still conscious of what is right and wrong to do especially with all the limelight that he gets.

On the other hand, the things he says during some interviews is just outright bad. He curses and berates reporters. He isn't respectful of anyone against him even on minor things.

Edit: I'm inclined to think that he just can't control what he says in the heat of the moment and it leads to situations such as this.

You mean that stupid drug matrix list that he supposedly got from Fidel Ramos (he didn't btw).

That list has been revised I think about 3 times now and it was so wrong that he even had to apologize to some officials because of it.

Anyways, the guy needs to shut up. The thing about him is he is encouraging people to behave a certain way and yes he encourages law enforcement to kill. Shit that guy says it ok to kill addicts all the time. I mean like every day. It ridiculous.

Branduil

Has anyone else noticed the trend of people saying "I'm no Duterte fan, but(proceeds to defend him like an actual fan)."

It's almost like people are afraid of openly supporting a genocidal nutcase.

killatopak

Gold Member
That's your metric for still knowing what "right and wrong" is? Because he hasn't killed everyone he wants to? Does it occur to you that maybe government officials are better protected than randoms on the street?

What's you excuse for the 1200 attributed to death squads so far? Or Duterte's past killings whilst mayor?

http://www.latimes.com/opinion/edit...terte-china-killings-20160906-snap-story.html

That 4 year old just another druggie who had it coming?

Oh, another international news that isn't even fact checked. The current Senate hearing is exactly about that issue. It hasn't even been resolved and the current state is that they are lies.

You mean that stupid drug matrix list that he supposedly got from Fidel Ramos (he didn't btw).

That list has been revised I think about 3 times now and it was so wrong that he even had to apologize to some officials because of it.

Anyways, the guy needs to shut up. The thing about him is he is encouraging people to behave a certain way and yes he encourages law enforcement to kill. Shit that guy says it ok to kill addicts all the time. I mean like every day. It ridiculous.

Oh, it's been revised? I haven't heard of that yet.

His mouth just spews vitriol most of the time. If he behaved for one moment it would do wonders.

Has anyone else noticed the trend of people saying "I'm no Duterte fan, but(proceeds to defend him like an actual fan)."

You can say it's me openly. And I can say you're wrong. There's no way I'm supporting genocide. Look up all the local news, watch all the senate hearings directly and don't blindly listen to international media. There's so many facts twisted here and I'm just stating them. TBF last news that I intensively read and watched is on September 27. I'm sorry if there are updates that I'm not aware of.

kmfdmpig

http://grpshorts.blogspot.com/2016/10/reporters-karen-lema-and-manuel-mogato.html?m=1

This is probably why he gets misunderstood like 99% of the time: 2 journalists making an article about Duterte likening himself to Hitler. Not once though did he say that. In fact, like I said earlier, he was trying to do the opposite: contrasting himself. The amazing thing is these journalists are filipinos themselves so it's not like they could have misinterpreted what Duterte said.

So he does want to slaughter 3 million people, but because they're (allegedly) criminals that means it's OK. What a quality defense of a madman.

Also, that rebuttal link is the most hyperbolic/biased "article" I've read in quite some time.

This cheap, pathetic stunt is yet another example why journalism should be a regulated profession. What Lema and Mogato did is no less than a criminal act. It may even be considered a terrorist act, because the intent to sow conflict, fear, and instability is clear.

If lawyers, doctors, or businessmen did what Lema and Mogato did, they would be sent to jail. But since Lema and Mogato are journalists, all they have to do is cry “Martial Law!” and they get off scot free.

Is this right? Is this just? Is this the meaning of democracy? Are journalists allowed to commit illegal and seditious acts, just because they’re journalists?

Democracy is about respecting the will of the people, not the will of journalists.

Our laws should be protecting our people, not protecting journalists who deliberately endanger the welfare and stability of our country.

Over 90% of Filipinos support President Duterte and his program of government. Are we going to let a handful of disgruntled brats who call themselves journalists subvert the will of the Filipino people?

NO. These malicious and irresponsible journalists are the true enemies of democracy, and they should be punished with the full force of the law.

Oh, another international news that isn't even fact checked. The current Senate hearing is exactly about that issue. It hasn't even been resolved and the current state is that they are lies.

Oh, it's been revised? I haven't heard of that yet.

His mouth just spews vitriol most of the time. If he behaved for one moment it would do wonders.

You know what's really wrong with Duterte, he still acts as if he's still a mayor. Well isn't anymore, he's the president now. He should act like one. The guy doesn't know the weight of his words.

Jackpot

Banned

Other headlines from that "blog":

First World observers criticise the Philippines and its police thru the lens of an alien cultural context

Mainstream "journalists" get trolled because they are perceived to be preaching from an ivory tower

The Philippines: Product of a deliberate selection of faulty genes?

The Philippines is an academic case study in dysgenics.

People should talk more about Human Responsibility and less about "human rights"

Filipinos have a President, a real President, one that they are proud of

Philippine media in orchestrated campaign to demonize Duterte government before international audience

When will Filipinos stop being Authoritarianism Crybabies?

3 key points in defense of Duterte's "war on drugs"

Duterte style: common-sense wisdom and bias towards ACTION

Foreign media hacks attacking Duterte are blind to American hypocrisy elsewhere

Selective reporting to demonise Duterte perpetrated by self-righteous foreign media

Filipinos behind Duterte on 'war on drugs' and criminal-coddling oligarchy!

Bonus points for eugenics mention.

ss_lemonade

So he does want to slaughter 3 million people, but because they're (allegedly) criminals that means it's OK. What a quality defense of a madman.
I just posted that because the reuters article seems to be making its rounds. I agree that openly wanting to slaughter 3 million people (which he thinks are criminals) is insane and not doing him any favors. There's just no way around what he said

kmfdmpig

I just posted that because the reuters article seems to be making its rounds. I agree that openly wanting to slaughter 3 million people (which he thinks are criminals) is insane and not doing him any favors. There's just no way around what he said

The actual quote that they provide doesn't really seem to change the narrative or the intent of what was said though. The writer(s) of that article seem to think that what he said and how people interpreted it are completely different, but I don't think that's the case, and the scorn and bias they heap into their prose doesn't really change that.

Jackpot

Banned

How come you're not addressing any of my points? Easier to hand wave away murders rather than admit you support them?

killatopak

Gold Member
Over 90% of Filipinos support President Duterte and his program of government. Are we going to let a handful of disgruntled brats who call themselves journalists subvert the will of the Filipino people?

NO. These malicious and irresponsible journalists are the true enemies of democracy, and they should be punished with the full force of the law.[/I]

Journalist are there for a reason. They should state absolute facts. Don't emphasize or belittle the information given. Don't change it. Just give it straight.

When things are beginning to be hyperbolic or belittled, you lose your trust. That's why I encourage watching it directly. No other way to absolutely know if what is actually happening until you see them yourselves.

I'm not saying they're all wrong but if the majority is, might as well not listen to them and just look up the info myself.

You know what's really wrong with Duterte, he still acts as if he's still a mayor. Well isn't anymore, he's the president now. He should act like one. The guy doesn't know the weight of his words.

I guess he thinks that acting like that would have the same result. He has a good picture in mind for the country but the way he goes about to get that is through bloody means. It's not acceptable by modern standards but the people are with him so I guess it must be enlarging his ego and makes him think that everything he does is right when it's not.
How come you're not addressing any of my points? Easier to hand wave away murders rather than admit you support them?
Why would I even support murder? The mere fact that none of that is even proven to be his doing is just what's been bad about this. No, he is wrong about murdering 3 milion people and that's absolutely evil but there are statements that are exaggerated on both sides that you can't even see what the original statement is.

UrbanRats

Slaughter the addicts? How about treatment instead. I remember his declaration of war on dealers but now he wants to kill all the users too?
Here's your treatment...
*Unshits katana*

Seriously though, I remember him wishing people would go out and kill their addict neighbors, so this isn't new.

kmfdmpig

Journalist are there for a reason. They should state absolute facts. Don't emphasize or belittle the information given. Don't change it. Just give it straight.

When things are beginning to be hyperbolic or belittled, you lose your trust. That's why I encourage watching it directly. No other way to absolutely know if what is actually happening until you see them yourselves.

I'm not saying they're all wrong but if the majority is, might as well not listen to them and just look up the info myself.

I guess he thinks that acting like that would have the same result. He has a good picture in mind for the country but the way he goes about to get that is through bloody means. It's not acceptable by modern standards but the people are with him so I guess it must be enlarging his ego and makes him think that everything he does is right when it's not.

The original journalists seem much more even keeled and accurate than the defense force journalists who write in such a biased way. Duterte's direct quotes are appalling. It's not some journalistic conspiracy to paint him as a nut job. He is, in fact, a nut job or at the very least a petulant and overly emotional fool that cannot control what he says and does not understand that speaking off the cuff and saying crazy things is not really a good trait for a world leader.

Raysoul

What the hell is this editorial? How can a 4 year old be a drug addict. From what I know that the kid is not an addict, and was killed because of an operation against her father. Investigations are launched regarding this. Can you at least cite unbiased news?

Please cite an example. Not all things here should be one sided. Duterte did good and bad. If you criticize Duterte, at least back it up with a good argument or citations.

killatopak

Gold Member
The original journalists seem much more even keeled and accurate than the defense force journalists who write in such a biased way. Duterte's direct quotes are appalling. It's not some journalistic conspiracy to paint him as a nut job. He is, in fact, a nut job or at the very least a petulant and overly emotional fool that cannot control what he says and does not understand that speaking off the cuff and saying crazy things is not really a good trait for a world leader.

Believe it or not more than half of the local news is actually against Duterte. He is in fact a nut job as you say. He tends to exaggerate what he says to make a powerful statement and that just comes off as bad. He has an explosive personality and he had a lot of flak about a lot of his statements like that rape joke.

The thing is though, the most of the Filipino really believes he is doing something for them. What they don't know is the method on how he is going to achieve them. There's been a falling out of trust because of this and the multitude of issues that are surfacing. Especially now that the filipino peso is falling, there's more people that are losing trust actually.

kmfdmpig

Believe it or not more than half of the local news is actually against Duterte. He is in fact a nut job as you say. He tends to exaggerate what he says to make a powerful statement and that just comes off as bad. He has an explosive personality and he had a lot of flak about a lot of his statements like that rape joke.

The thing is though, the most of the Filipino really believes he is doing something for them. What they don't know is the method on how he is going to achieve them. There's been a falling out of trust because of this and the multitude of issues that are surfacing. Especially now that the filipino peso is falling, there's more people that are losing trust actually.

A lot of people like "strong leaders" who are ultimately tyrants. The appeal of "being tough", "getting things done" and "cutting through red tape" is widespread, but in almost all cases people later regret their choice. I suspect that in 30 years it will be difficult to find anyone that is proud of voting in Duterte. I just hope that the damage he does before people realize that he's unfit for office is not as bad as it seems like it might be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom