• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ape Escape 2, Dark Cloud 2, and Twisted Metal: Black rated for PS4 in Europe

Nachos

Great for the people who haven't had the chance to play them yet.

Dark Cloud 2 before the original? How odd. Dark Cloud 2 is a great game though so I'm not complaining.

Probably not as weird for Europe, considering it was called Dark Chronicle everywhere outside the US.

I don't think they were, but it's been a long time since I've played them too.
The only direct reference to 1 that I remember was in the post-game, where you fight
the genie.
There are some other shared terms, but they barely have any similarities between games.

I will go Hubert level nuts if Dark Cloud 3 is actually announced. Seriously. Not even playing.

DO IT
DOOOOOOO IT

No No Kuni 2 and Dark Cloud 3 both using an advanced Kuni engine with Studio Ghibli at the helm for the art.

The PS2 Star Wars games that come with the Battlefront PS4 bundle have "enhanced graphics" and trophy support. I don't know that all PS2 Classics will get that, but at least some will from the sounds of it.
fRXBm1B.gif

Dont disappoint me now soony

zulux21

Absolutely agreed. The PS4 has plenty of food games. Let me play SMT Nocturne on a handheld pls.

well arguably this would be ps2 classics on the vita...
as ps4 to vita remote play would ideally work. not perfect native support but the vita native support would be garbage tier anyways (it wouldn't run well at all) so I will take what I can get.

Reveirg

My heart skipped a beat when I saw Dark Cloud in the thread title.

I guess that ruins any chance of an HD remaster :/

Lucreto

Interesting news,

I can't remember ever playing Ape Escape 2 and I love Dark Chronicles.

If these are more than PS1/2 classics and get trophy support with enhanced graphics and screen shot support it will be the highlight of the year.

Holy shit please get rid of PS Now. It's just total garbage that nobody wants.

You are aware that PS Now doesn't have a single PS1 or PS2 game listed on it? Or that the eventual plan is obviously to put it directly on TVs and phones/tablets? This really doesn't have much of anything to do with PSNow as it currently stands.

PS1 classics as is, same as PSP, Vita and PS3.

PS2 classics slightly enhanced with upscaling and trophies?

That would be my assumption assuming BC and being rerated.

They should get with the people who do the PC emulators and work on an emulator like that where it enhances the AF and texture resolution and all that kind of stuff. Get TPP to handle all the emulating of the games and getting rid of any bugs or whatever. PS4 has enough power to handle a software emulator like that. My PC isn't close to the PS4 and I can emulate PS2 just fine

Literally hyperventilated at the thread title.

Backwards compatibility would be fucking huge and hype as hell but what ready got me going was the possibility of new games in the series.

androvsky

Really hope this isn't digital only. The original rumor stated that it'd be discs too, right?

The Eurogamer rumor didn't mention discs as I recall, but there was a Playstation Nation podcast (generally has pretty solid sources) episode that mentioned they heard rumors from three different sources about disc support about a year ago.

Doesn't mean things couldn't change. The PS3 was going to have a pure software PS2 emulator that supported discs, but it never worked well (it's still in the firmware, it's just disabled normally). PS2 Classics use a different software emulator.

MS did just announce free emulation for all supported 360 games on disc or download, so Sony would look like even bigger jerks than they normally would if they don't do something similar.

They should get with the people who do the PC emulators and work on an emulator like that where it enhances the AF and texture resolution and all that kind of stuff. Get TPP to handle all the emulating of the games and getting rid of any bugs or whatever. PS4 has enough power to handle a software emulator like that. My PC isn't close to the PS4 and I can emulate PS2 just fine

From what I remember, the one thing most emulators need to work well is a strong CPU (and more specifically strong single-threaded performance), which is the one thing that the PS4 doesn't necessarily have.

This has to be a TGS announcement, right?

Nope. Sony has three major conferences left for this year, so it could be announced at any of them. And games being rated don't necessarily mean that they'll be announced immediately. Gravity Rush Remastered was rated in March and it still hasn't been officially announced.

if the vengeful spirit of Kutaragi came to me and granted a wish, I would ask for disc compatible PS1/2 games on the PS4.

downloadable classics would be nice too though, very nice.

If I could get a wish for the Dark Cloud 2 port, I would wish that the georama maps would get unlimited building points (once you finish the main game or something).

The first real signs of backwards compatibility coming to the PS4... oh yes. I dream of region-free, disc-based emulation for PS1 and PS2 games, but this is a start. Loved the first Ape Escape, but for some reason I never bothered playing the two sequels, so 2 is an instabuy to make amends for that mistake.

dark chronicle was one of the most boring games i've played however

Yazuka

If those Star Wars games are indeed PS2 classics, wouldn't we need confirmation on this before PSX? PSX is in December right? And SW is being released in November?
So I'm do think they would need to announce it before then.

bombshell

If those Star Wars games are indeed PS2 classics, wouldn't we need confirmation on this before PSX? PSX is in December right? And SW is being released in November?
So I'm do think they would need to announce it before then.

Good point, so that leaves tomorrow or Paris.

This is really exciting! I loved Ape Escape 2 when I was a child. If PS1 classics are on the way Sony need to bring PaRappa The Rapper.

Suzzopher

Pegi ratings don't happen too far in advance of release, I think Suikoden III was only three weeks ahead of release, but often they are released the same week.

I am betting it'll be announced during the TGS stream and the PS2 games will be released this week.

Top Bottom