• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple pulls everything w/ Confederate Flag from App Store including Civil War games

Sez

I bet that the some people who are here criticizing this act, cheered when the companies followed other "political correctness" movements.

Next one: Ban everything WW2 related because it reminds people about the holocaust.

Fliesen

i'll give them the benefit of the doubt and say they somehow pulled all "confederate games" from the App Store via some sort of automatism and are going to individually re-approve those that they consider "proper historic use of the flag"

still. weird move.

For games portraying the war? That's like removing all of the swastikas from a WWII game.

Like Paradox does for Hearts of Iron, which doesn't diminish Hearts of Iron at all.

Most games don't use swastikas to represent German forces. Color convention and NATO symbols are really all you need to identify WW2 battle elements.

edit: The real crime is that Apple just shitcanned everything without warning. Most of these developers would have been more than happy to update the apps to purge this shitstain of history on request.

Probably going to have to pull the movie Glory, Ken Burns' The Civil War, and just about everything else remotely about the most important historic event in American history as well.

Like Paradox does for Hearts of Iron, which doesn't diminish Hearts of Iron at all.

Most games don't use swastikas to represent German forces. Color convention and NATO symbols are really all you need to identify WW2 battle elements.

Many games do use swastikas, although in games where the player is encouraged to play as the Germans (say, most multiplayer WW2 FPS games), they are usually removed because most players don't want to play on a team that has a swastika over it. Now, I complete disagree with the Confederate flag hanging on public grounds and I think only ignoramuses portray it proudly today, but commanding a historically accurate Robert E. Lee in Sid Mier's Gettysburg is abjectly different from playing as the Nazi's in a World War II first-person XP shooter.

Games with a picture of a flag, offensive. REMOVE.

Games about murdering humans, not offensive. KEEP.

2015 liberals in a nutshell.

Brain-dead stupid.
But I guess Apple needs a rule that they can enforce easily (if not bluntly), rather than spending money hiring an employee to rule on a case-by-case basis what is and is not historically accurate.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I don't think anyone was complaining about the flag being used in actual historical contexts like Civil War museums, battlefields, re-enactments, etc.

The complaint was about it being flown outside the state capitals where it feels like it's being treated as an active thing. If it was even in a museum inside the building we wouldn't be having this debate.

Africanus

This is silly. Nobody gave a damn about the confederate flag until this asshole decided to kill these people in this church. I don't get it. I think a lot of people are missing the point with this. This guy wasn't able to kill these people because he had access to a confederate flag...

I hope by nobody, you mean corporations, because there have been a long line of people railing against the flag since 1861.

i'll give them the benefit of the doubt and say they somehow pulled all "confederate games" from the App Store via some sort of automatism and are going to individually re-approve those that they consider "proper historic use of the flag"

still. weird move.

This is what I'm thinking as well, gives them the opportunity to evaluate the games.

Not going to judge this move until there's more context.

Fadobo

Yes you won't find a German version of a game which has swastikas in them.
It's ok to show them on TV though.

It is ok in a context of historical documentation and certain depictions in art. Unfortunately games are not on the same level as other art forms in Germany, and thus it is much harder to get the usage approved under the "art"-aspect (even though it is theoretically possible).

Rembrandt

Banned
no hard feelings either way about this. it isn't like kids won't learn about the civil war in school. idk, I wouldn't really care if the flag just disappeared. I know censorship and such but I can't think of a time where having the flag being shown or even swastikas has deepened the impact of a title or anything noteworthy. It was kinda just there to paint good vs bad.

Yes they did.

Wal-mart wasn't stopping sales of confederate flags before this.

Apple wasn't removing Civil War games from its store before this.

Governors in states where the flag has been flown for years are now coming out and calling for it to be removed when they didn't give a damn before.

This is what I mean when I say people didn't care until now. People/corporations with influence.

What? I'm all for Walmart removing shitty redneck T-shirts with the flag from their store, but removing the flag from historically accurate media is absurd.

BigDug13

Games with a picture of a flag, offensive. REMOVE.

Games about murdering humans, not offensive. KEEP.

2015 liberals in a nutshell.

Don't be stupid. This forum has plenty of 2015 liberals and NONE of them are saying that this move is right. So you're pretty much talking bullshit by making this a "liberal" thing.

ConceptX

Pretty overblown kneejerk reaction.

Context is essential here, and just pulling it regardless of context is very overblown.

Thabass

Fucking political correctness nonsense. Whoever came up with the idea for PC should be <redacted>.

Edit: Okay, maybe that's a bit too far. But still, the idea of it is just...ugh.

Rembrandt

Banned

Governors in states where the flag has been flown for years are now coming out and calling for it to be removed when they didn't give a damn before.

This is what I mean when I say people didn't care until now.

That's because it was easy to ignore all the people pointing out the history of the flag, the type of people that usually have toggles flags and what it generally represents before this. Saying people didn't care was a terrible choice of words.

I don't know but toys and other merchandise from the show are now verboten. Craziness.

Yep. Now, I'm against the confederate flag on public grounds and think only idiots are proud to hang it (on their trucks, house, jackets, etc), but there's a reason the damn car in the DUkes of Hazard has a confederate flag on it. The car is called the General Lee. The General Lee was the name was the commander of the Army of the Confederacy. The horn blows the song Dixie. And even beyond that, the inspiration for the General Lee was a real life bootlegging car called Traveller, named after Robert E. Lee's real-life horse.

This is what I mean when I say people didn't care until now. People/corporations with influence.

There wasn't as much of a public fervor about it with things like the Apple App store or Wal-Mart and what have you, but displays of the confederate flag on public grounds has been a loud and seminal debate for as long as I've been alive (I'm 31). You're right that nobody's gone as far to ban it or stop selling it, but people definitely cared about this issue for a long time... It's the reason that stores like WalMart even carried them to begin with, people care about this issue on both sides and that spurs sales.

You never saw WalMart or any other major retailers selling the battle flag of Massachusetts because nobody cares about debating any issues behind the Battle flag of Massachusetts:

rZ6Aw4P.png

Part of why the confederate flag is something that someone wants to buy in the first place is because of the controversy around it, and that controversy has been an impassioned public debate for decades, maybe more than a century.

This is silly. Nobody gave a damn about the confederate flag until this asshole decided to kill these people in this church. I don't get it. I think a lot of people are missing the point with this. This guy wasn't able to kill these people because he had access to a confederate flag...

I actually think you are really badly missing the point

Nokagi

Unconfirmed Member
Cringeworthy. Apple going for the "hey look at us, we can do good things too guys!" but failed to miss the whole point and ends up just looking stupid.

Top Bottom