• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

April 2015 NPD (U.S. Hardware) Predictions - Closes May 12th

PS4 #41
Xbox ACU #42
Xbox MCC #52

It could still be right, but yes lets stop looking at Amazon.

Wasn't there a TLOU bundle just under the #52?

Anyway, its not much of a surprise given that 41 vs 42 + 52, depending on whether there was another PS4 kicking around.

ZhugeEX

Banned
Actually this is the most HW units sold in April since 2012.

April%20NPD_zps4hxpjpeh.jpg

Xbox One has now exceeded 7 million sales in the USA after 18 months.

The Xbox 360 took 24 months to achieve this milestone, the PS3 took 27 months, the Wii took 14 months and the PS4 took 16 months.

The combined total of PS4 and Xbox One and Wii U in the USA has now exceeded 19 million units.

Elandyll

Banned
Amazon hourly charts have failed us!

I had a feeling that Amazon would fail when sales would be extremely close (I imagine they are).

And lo and behold, Amazon rankings were #41 (PS4) and #42 (ACU XB1) with the Halo MCC XB1 not that far behind (#52).

Wasn't there a TLOU bundle just under the #52?

Anyway, its not much of a surprise given that 41 vs 42 + 52, depending on whether there was another PS4 kicking around.

Nope. The Batman limited ed shows up at #96, but the TLOU edition does not appear for whatever reason.

dEvAnGeL

Why is it every month this is asked and so often, not only is it the second Thursday of every month at 6:30 pm EDT, it is also in every OP

maybe because im not in every monthly sales every month all the time? maybe? also you could have save time by answering the way the user above you did, clear and to the point, without being a "showoff", thanks anyway

Jamix012

Xbox One is now over 7 million.

Congrats.

It's also up YoY when combining the first 4 months.

Super congrats.

I really don't think celebrating YoY increases are really in order when they've had to cut the price so drastically to even eek out that tiny increase.

I really don't think celebrating YoY increases are really in order when they've had to cut the price so drastically to even eek out that tiny increase.

It's worth celebrating because it means that both companies want your money really badly and are willing to compete to get it. If that means they have to cut the price, so be it.

Well its better than not making 7m/YoY! I guess it proves somewhere along the line that the changes they have made are having a positive effect. Im not really going to cry about a company the size of Microsoft having to slash their prices, considering it was overpriced so heavily in the first place

And they will have another YoY increase next month due to the Kinectless sku last years.

The Batman bundle? Maybe...

Its more likely just that slow sales all around and more people already owning ps4s had things work out this way.

This doesn't have any kind of similar impact on actual sales that winning a holiday month would.

They gain less than 50k and can send out a press release saying they won something for once. That's all it really means.

Vena

No, not for April it isn't.

Leader last year was just slightly higher. Leader in 2013 was significantly lower.

Correct me if I'm wrong but 2013 was the tail end of last gen, not current gen, so wouldn't one expect said result (of much lower). Still, I had higher expectations from what I kept reading in this very thread, lol.

Chobel

If people are holding out on buying a PS4 for 2 months straight and sales are slowing, that's bad as that's 2 months of less people getting into the Playstation ecosystem.

Sales will be back to normal in June?

I don't buy this Batman Bundle talk, but if it's the only reason for slow sales, then it's nothing to worry about.

blakep267

But technically those people will still jump in. Just not sooner
True but you lose those 2 months of ps plus sales, digital sales etc. and it's not like people wouldn't still buy the console in June with batman separately.

Still it's not as bad as announcing s bundle 4-5 months out.

Boke1879

Its more likely just that slow sales all around and more people already owning ps4s had things work out this way.

This doesn't have any kind of similar impact on actual sales that winning a holiday month would.

They gain less than 50k and can send out a press release saying they won something for once. That's all it really means.

Pretty much. I honestly expected a drop off for April. Slow month. People already having these consoles and no games to really MAKE someone run out and buy one.

PS4 getting that price drop at E3.

Wasn't the last time someone did a genuine price drop back when they knocked $100 off the PS2 like 12/13 years ago?

Losing one month in the US is hardly going to make them brick it. They'll wait for the holidays to be upon us (August/September) then drop it, I don't think theres any need to do it now, I bet it outsells XB1 with the Batman bundle anyway

Jamix012

It's worth celebrating because it means that both companies want your money really badly and are willing to compete to get it. If that means they have to cut the price, so be it.

I don't agree. If MS continues to bleed money selling an overbloated console that suggests to me that the console isn't commercially viable and is really just being buoyed to keep the brand relevant for a successor. While this does say more about Xbox 1 than the market as a whole, there are definitely poor implications for the future of the hobby.

labaronx

True but you lose those 2 months of ps plus sales, digital sales etc. and it's not like people wouldn't still buy the console in June with batman separately.

Still it's not as bad as announcing s bundle 4-5 months out.

It'll happen to xbox one when halo 5 xbox one is announced and wont release til October.

Elandyll

Banned
If people are holding out on buying a PS4 for 2 months straight and sales are slowing, that's bad as that's 2 months of less people getting into the Playstation ecosystem.

Imo it just shows that, as hinted by the Q4 FY results the $399 market for the PS4 might have been tapped out in term of growth (it was down year over year on the first 3 months of the year combined, and now again in April).

This might just push Sony to drop the price sooner than many (including me) expected, particularly when you consider that their sales Forecast for last FY was missed by a hair (14.8m units instead of 15m).

labaronx

Another thing to consider now is that everyone in the world knows how well the ps4 is doing. Most people are expecting a price cut

I don't agree. If MS continues to bleed money selling an overbloated console that suggests to me that the console isn't commercially viable and is really just being buoyed to keep the brand relevant for a successor. While this does say more about Xbox 1 than the market as a whole, there are definitely poor implications for the future of the hobby.

Your statement tells me that you not consider the Xbox ONE a successful console? But it is, in its way, it is a success.

Blanquito

Nice, so Xbox won this month. Congrats.

RE: Amazon charts -- as others have mentioned, the double ranked Xbox SKUs provided a hint that this may happen.

It was similar last March when PS4 had one SKU highly ranked, Xbox had two SKUs ranked, and it ended up being a close win for PS4. Amazon, to me, still seems like a pretty good metric upon which to base guesses.

ZhugeEX

Banned
Wow I did not see that one coming.

I see what you did there.... :p

But anyway, got to love the people over reacting.
This month is meaningless, especially when on a worldwide scale the PS4 is still selling better and even in the US is the cumulative sales leader.

Sony aren't going to drop the price tomorrow just because they got outsold in April..... It's April.

I think they've basically done all they can at the PS4's current price. I think it's going to be a sizeable drop because $50 doesn't take it out of its current market, but $100 takes it to a brand new, larger, market....

NateDrake

Imo it just shows that, as hinted by the Q4 FY results the $399 market for the PS4 might have been tapped out (it was down year over year on the first 3 months of the year combined, and now again in April).

This might just push Sony to drop the price sooner than many (including me) expected.

It has always been my position that a lot of people bought into the SP4 early on because the pricing was reasonable when compared to the competition (Xbox One), Microsoft killed their image with the pre-E3 reveal and DRM disaster, and stock was generally widely available. Last-gen lasted too long and people wanted new consoles, so they jumped in really quick.

Now that market is slowing down and those waiting are either still happy with their PS360, are waiting for price drops, or are in no rush for new hardware due to less than compelling software.

Top Bottom