• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

April 2015 NPD (U.S. Hardware) Predictions - Closes May 12th

Mory Dunz

Wait, what pushed HW over the past few years since 2012?

is the 3DS any higher? I assume the Wii U is a bit YoY, but not much.

Weird.

Boke1879

Amazing how people are doing their price drop speculation after imo a meaningless month. IT won't force them to drop the price anytime soon especially since they are handily outselling their comp worldwide.

Duxxy3

There's a good chance that xbox will take may as well. Potentially 4 or 5 months this year for xbox.

Might be looking at a tie for year long sales. Probably depend on how heavily the PS4 wins june and september.

labaronx

Yea. However if you release the gears remaster in the interim, it would soften the blow

I can still play gears when i eventually get the halo 5 xbox. Thats whats keeping me from buying one.

He said as he stares at his unopened copy of Sunset Overdrive he got on release date..... soon precious

I don't agree. If MS continues to bleed money selling an overbloated console that suggests to me that the console isn't commercially viable and is really just being buoyed to keep the brand relevant for a successor. While this does say more about Xbox 1 than the market as a whole, there are definitely poor implications for the future of the hobby.

Its better for them to prove that the console can be a success at the right price than a failure at the wrong price.

Guess what, people do want Xbox Ones! Guess what, they also don't want to pay more than its worth for it, is how I see it.

The software side has this month's biggest stories. When's that release hit?

I don't agree. If MS continues to bleed money selling an overbloated console that suggests to me that the console isn't commercially viable and is really just being buoyed to keep the brand relevant for a successor. While this does say more about Xbox 1 than the market as a whole, there are definitely poor implications for the future of the hobby.

Would it be better for these companies if no price promotion was necessary? Sure. But it'd also be better for the airlines, for auto makers, for appliance manufacturers...

Consumers are spending more on gaming now than they ever have in history. There are just far more options. A leaner/more efficient console market isn't in itself a bad thing.

MS needs users. Users spend a lot of money over the life of ownership that MS sees in royalties. These royalties are what make or break the financials. Getting users with promotion is better than not getting users and having a higher price. Just because promotion is happening in Q2 or Q3 to get new users when there isn't a lot of software to encourage adoption is not indicative of poor implications for the future of the hobby.

Jigorath

Banned
Wasn't the last time someone did a genuine price drop back when they knocked $100 off the PS2 like 12/13 years ago?

Losing one month in the US is hardly going to make them brick it. They'll wait for the holidays to be upon us (August/September) then drop it, I don't think theres any need to do it now, I bet it outsells XB1 with the Batman bundle anyway

PS2 got it's first price drop 19 months after launching in the US. If PS4 follows that pattern it'll have it's first price drop this June. Coincidentally right around the same time as E3 hmmmm...

Amused

Looking forward to some pie charts to see if PS4 really got 187d, or if it was just a very mild beating.

Expecting the latter.

Jamix012

Your statement tells me that you not consider the Xbox ONE a successful console? But it is, in its way, it is a success.

I do not consider it successful, no. It's not a Wii U/Vita disaster, but it's pretty bad IMO.

It will be down on it's predecessor in both sales and probably market share.
It will likely not be profitable for MS.

At best I could call it a muted failure, as it is at least keeping the Xbox brand relevent so that a successor might take up the mantle.

Its better for them to prove that the console can be a success at the right price than a failure at the wrong price.

Guess what, people do want Xbox Ones! Guess what, they also don't want to pay more than its worth for it, is how I see it.

Ehhh, I don't see this as a solid argument. Almost everything has a price at which it is desirable to consumers, the question is whether you can still make a profit on that product at the market's desired price. You could sell many, many more Ferraris at a lower price but they'd take a huge loss in the process making their business non-viable. Do I think MS are going about this wrong? No. I think the long term is more important and by selling the XB1 at a loss they are keeping their brand stronger than they otherwise would which will payoff in the future.

That bestbuy trade in deal must of moved a lot of units people were not only getting the $175 credit but also a $50 Best Buy Gift Card and a Free Windows Phone if you bought the MCC bundle.

PS2 got it's first price drop 19 months after launching in the US. If PS4 follows that pattern it'll have it's first price drop this June. Coincidentally right around the same time as E3 hmmmm...

Its a nice thing to look at it, but I don't see them dropping it at E3. They don't do it because presumably its the worst selling months of the year, I could be wrong but I don't see them deciding to do it now.

One month down on NPD when they've won all the others, they'll do it for the holidays imo

On Demand

Banned
Didn't see XB1 winning the month. I for one am surprised. Maby the Batman bundle is having a affect on current PS4 sales?

I want to know how much XB1 outsold PS4 by.

jjonez18

But anyway, got to love the people over reacting.
This month is meaningless, especially when on a worldwide scale the PS4 is still selling better and even in the US is the cumulative sales leader.

Sony aren't going to drop the price tomorrow just because they got outsold in April..... It's April.

Don't you think the 399$ pricetag is overstaying it's welcome though? It is down YoY. Not so much about XB1 taking one month in the preseason but about the slowing sales overall. I don't see them touching the price until after the Batman Bundurus run their course, but the 399$ tag has to come down even if they are destroying the competition worldwide.

n0razi

Gotta be honest.. I'm mostly a PC guy and picked up a Wii u and ps4 for a hand full of exclusives but some of the recent xbox1 firesales make me itch again (seen 3 game and extra gamepad bundles around the $300-350 mark). I don't have time or space for 3 consoles /1st world problem

ZhugeEX

Banned
Don't you think the 399$ pricetag is overstaying it's welcome though? It is down YoY. Not so much about XB1 taking one month in the preseason but about the slowing sales overall. I don't see them touching the price until after the Batman Bundurus run their course, but the 399$ tag has to come down even if they are destroying the competition worldwide.

I don't see any reason for the PS4 to have a price drop right now. It's profitable and selling at a good enough rate, in fact a very good rate. Remember, the PS4 is a worldwide console and not just a US. Take a look at this chart as an example.

ST_zpsycdbpjq9.jpg

Road

PS4 #41
Xbox ACU #42
Xbox MCC #52

It could still be right, but yes lets stop looking at Amazon.
Disagree. Amazon was right again. It signaled terrible PS4 sales but people just fabricated an excuse that it was sold out. (and I was a fool to believe I them instead of Amazon)

As you showed, there were two Xbox one sku in the chart.

As for why the ps4 lost, let's just run with the excuse that people are saving for the batman bundle...

Aeqvitas

I do not consider it successful, no. It's not a Wii U/Vita disaster, but it's pretty bad IMO.

It will be down on it's predecessor in both sales and probably market share.
It will likely not be profitable for MS.

At best I could call it a muted failure, as it is at least keeping the Xbox brand relevent so that a successor might take up the mantle.

I'll have whatever you are smoking. The XB1 reached 7 million sales 6 months faster than the 360. It is for all purposes a more successful console so far than the 360. The console is also not a loss leader like the 360 was, and it hasn't had a billion dollar loss in the form of the red ring disaster. So far it is both selling more and likely more profitable.

If you call that a failure, then you must have some strong confirmation bias to filter out anything that goes against your belief.

Sure MS is hungry for more, and could have had much more if it hadn't fumbled hard out of the gate. But the console is a solid success so far. Which is great for lots of gamers, because hungry MS doesn't pull punches.

Welfare

Venturebeat article up

http://venturebeat.com/2015/05/14/april-2015-npd/

1. Mortal Kombat X (PS4, Xbox One)
  2. Grand Theft Auto V (PS4, Xbox One, PC, 360, PS3)
  3. Battlefield: Hardline (Xbox One, PS4, 360, PS3, PC)
  4. MLB 15: The Show (PS4, PS3)
  5. Minecraft (360, PS3, Xbox One, PS4)
  6. NBA 2K15 (Xbox One, PS4, 360, PS3, PC)
  7. Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare (Xbox One, PS4, 360, PS3, PC)
  8. Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin (PS4, Xbox One, 360, PS3)
  9. Super Smash Bros. (3DS, Wii U)
  10. Borderlands: The Handsome Collection (PS4, Xbox One)

Top Bottom