• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ars Technica: Penello's XB1 Numbers, Ars "Sniff Test" Analysis

p3tran

Banned
from descriptions the X1 sounds more powerful, but it is also required to do stuff related to kinect audio - noise cancellation etc. PS4 seems focused on basic audio handling for games.

not on my xbone. on my xbone, the audio chip wont even ever learn what color the kinect is

Chobel

So why is this Ars article taken as fact and not ERP who is a known dev?

Because some of us can know when tech things are right or not. Those people did their homework and get to the same conclusion before that Ars article. So no, Ars article isn't taken as fact just like that.

Ok, hear me out guys. What if this system is actually alright? And my games play fine?
I know, I know, bizarro world. But just imagine!

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
And he left mid development? Real team player...sounds like a genuine dude

lol, business how does it work.

Hi, employee of PS4 game. Come work for my company for more $$ and more responsibility! Or... you know, it could have been a horrible place to work. Or he had family issues. But, I'm sure he's just not "a genuine dude"

Satchel

Banned
I'm genuinely surprised it took this long for this article to pop up here. I read yesterday morning (AU Time) and figured it would have been up here within minutes.

Bsigg12

Haven't been able to read the thread but has Albert posted answers to the questions from the other thread the other day?

Metfanant

What ERP said doesnt support Penello's argument at all .. it's just that some people are trying to use it as a leverage.

I guess that depends on what he's doing now and whether or not he got fired.

lol, business how does it work.

Hi, employee of PS4 game. Come work for my company for more $$ and more responsibility! Or... you know, it could have been a horrible place to work. Or he had family issues. But, I'm sure he's just not "a genuine dude"
I'm simply playing a little devil's advocate...I've left jobs before..I understand what it's like...

I don't know tech but i'll take Cerny's words over Albert's and his "Tech Fellows".

Not saying Cerny is incapable of spreading FUD. But why would he do a billion conferences explaining why the PS4 is the most powerful and best for developers? Because he knows what he's talking about. Albert should have just simply said they have great teams that can make great looking games. To call out Sony was a dumb mistake.

Cerny is not Kutaragi.

Chobel

Ok, hear me out guys. What if this system is actually alright? And my games play fine?
I know, I know, bizarro world. But just imagine!

No one is arguing if Xbox one is weak console in this thread. We're discussing here what Penello said about some technical stuff. And yes, most of us disagree with what he said.

Hi Chobel! :)

sorry I said "most say" as in "some other techies" mentioned the BW.. there is also a HW thread in the technology section if you want to dig deeper

OK, thanks, I'll try to browse b3yond in the future.

Skeff

People seem to be mistaking what ERP actually said, let's take a look at it.

CU's are MASSIVELY underutilized on vertex heavy workloads and plenty of the frame will be ROP or bandwidth limited

So, for certain workloads CU's are underutilized. So firstly were only talking about some cases here, in others it does provide a 50% more CU 50% more performance.

Secondly, The other option is ROP limited frames, well I guess that means that to get a genuine 50% performance boost Sony should add 50% more ROP's, so they added 100%

Thirdly, Bandwidth Limited, ok here we go, PS4 could well have 50% more bandwidth available for these tasks depending on the efficiency of coding in the xbone version.

You don't need any technical knowledge to understand his statement, and the specifications of both GPU's are out there and easy to find.

Haven't been able to read the thread but has Albert posted answers to the questions from the other thread the other day?

Not yet, he hasn't posted since this post right here:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=80999997&postcount=1163

Here is a link to all his posts on GAF:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/search.php?searchid=6170789

I am sure he will post later once he gets his answers gathered up. I would think he would at least respond to this story from ARS, but he may wait until the thread gets closed, which is unfortunate.

I can't wait for both systems to be out so we can end all this back and forth craziness. Even more so, I can't wait to see all the video game sites open up each console and look at the components.

Don't know why ms is arguing this. The price difference should be their larger concern.

But this is the main concern....

Why in the world would me, you, or anyone pay more for a console with clearly inferior specs on paper? I'll make it easier, even if the xbox one did not come with kinect and the price was the same as ps4, why would you pay for inferior hardware? Unless you have a tendency to like Microsoft exclusives more than Playstation.

beast786

Why in the world would me, you, or anyone pay more for a console with clearly inferior specs on paper? I'll make it easier, even if the xbox one did not come with kinect and the price was the same as ps4, why would you pay for inferior hardware? Unless you have a tendency to like Microsoft exclusives more than Playstation.

How many did they had last 3 years beside kinect ?

Zornack

It shouldn't be their main concern. They can't win over you, me or the enthusiast crowd, they've already lost us, and all they do by arguing specs is make it more apparent that their machine is considerably weaker.

Software? Maybe some people can make use of Skype, a more robust digital dist....I'm gonna stop here. There's literally nothing I can say.

Don't know why ms is arguing this. The price difference should be their larger concern.

They're probably annoyed with the talk of 30% to 40% greater power when they think it's lower. Trying to argue that in a hostile environment without hard facts is a bad idea, though. At least Albert is laying low for now. Hopefully we get some legit conversation with someone closer to the tech in the coming days.

I have a hard time thinking Albert is just flat out lying, though. Maybe he's being fed poor information, but I just don't understand his motive for bold faced lies. He has nothing to gain. So while I won't just take his words as truth, I'll give him a chance to correct or support/clarify everything he said. If it's all malicious bullshit, though, I may actually think of canceling my pre-order.

entremet

Wow, I mean wow. That can't be good for MS trust. wow

It won't mean much in the long run. What was the last super powerful system that won the generation?

I think you guys take this too seriously in terms of actual reasons why someone would pick one system over the other.

Games?

Ars: "The entire point of GPU workloads is that they scale basically perfectly, so 50% more cores is in fact 50% faster."

heart-attacks_0.jpg

Ars: "What the hell does that even mean?"

Ars: "Maybe true."

Ars: "I don't know if that's even true."

Enjoy your 20+ pages on Gaf with links to your site.

kkthxbb

Skeff

Why are people talking about games in a thread about technical discussion on some of Albert Penellos claims? seriously, wrong thread.

Wynnebeck

Banned
It won't mean much in the long run. What was the last super powerful system that won the generation?

I think you guys take this too seriously in terms of actual reasons why someone would pick one system over the other.

When was the last time the most powerful system was the cheapest next to it's competitor? I think you guys take this too serious in terms of actual reasons why someone wouldn't pick one system over the other when comparing prices and power. Brand power means jack.

46w500

Banned
I'll make it easier, even if the xbox one did not come with kinect and the price was the same as ps4, why would you pay for inferior hardware? Unless you have a tendency to like Microsoft exclusives more than Playstation.
Actually, yeah. That sounds like a pretty damned good reason. I dare even say the best reason!

nib95

Banned
We said exactly the same... Here were my rebuttals. He never responded.

nib95 said:
Ok just a quick run through of points...

- What is this inherent inefficiency you speak of? Can you elaborate? It is not something I've ever heard mentioned.

- Your second point contradicts your first. If 50% more CU performance is viable to inefficiencies, why would 6% extra performance not also be privy to the same thing?

- How did you arrive at the 204gb/s figure for the Esram, can you elaborate? Also you realise this is a very disinginuous claim. YES the bandwidth can be added together in that the DDR3 and Esram can function simultaneously, but this tells only a small part of the full story. The Esram still only accounts for a meagre 32mb of space. The DDR3 ram, which is the bulk of the memory (8GB) is still limited to only 68gb/s, whilst the PS4's GDDR5 ram has an entire 8GB with 176gb/s bandwidth. This is a misleading way to present the argument of bandwidth differences.

- How do you know you have 10% more cpu speed? You said you are unaware of the PS4's final specs, and rumours of a similar upclock have been floating around. It could also be argued that the XO has the more capable audio chip because the systems audio Kinect features are more demanding, something the PS4 does not have to cater to. Add to that, the PS4 does also have a (less capable) audio chip, along with a secondary custom chip (supposedly used for background processing). There's that to consider too.

- That's good that Microsoft understands GPGPU, but that does not take away from the inherent GPGPU customisations afforded to the PS4. The PS4 also has 6 additional compute units, which is a pretty hefty advantage in this field.

- This is factually wrong. With Onion plus Onion+ the PS4 also has 30gb/s bandwidth.

IvorB

I don't know tech but i'll take Cerny's words over Albert's and his "Tech Fellows".

Not saying Cerny is incapable of spreading FUD. But why would he do a billion conferences explaining why the PS4 is the most powerful and best for developers? Because he knows what he's talking about. Albert should have just simply said they have great teams that can make great looking games. To call out Sony was a dumb mistake.

Cerny is not Kutaragi.

As far as I know Cerny has never claimed their system is more powerful. He has just explained how it works. Others have drawn the conclusion that it is higher spec.

I thought MS came out and said they did not attempt to build the most powerful system but went for a broad entertainment play. So what now?

Nozem

new theory: Albert got trolled by his coworker

Penello: "Ok dude, are you SURE this stuff is accurate? Those cats on GAF are pretty rough"

Fellow: "Dude, it's totally accurate, go for it" trollface.jpg

Gold.

As far as I know Cerny has never claimed their system is more powerful. He has just explained how it works. Others have drawn the conclusion that it is higher spec.

Yeah he did. He said multiplatform games will look better on PS4: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=658553

Yep. The only right answer.

Although any discussion related to why someone would prefer xbox one or not is still off topic.

Pretend PS4 didn't exist. How would this article sound, or would it even exist? Regardless of what any PR spews?
Its all a comparison, every single thread in this forum is a comparison.

Metfanant

I thought MS came out and said they did not attempt to build the most powerful system but went for a broad entertainment play. So what now?

Nah, Cerny has said multiple times that the PS4 is the most powerful console ever

Top Bottom