• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ASDA no longer stocking/selling the Wii U in stores, won't restock this year

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Fuck. I really hope Nintendo can pull it together. E3 was not encouraging.

I wonder if WiiU will reach GameCube numbers at this point.

1323804961274.jpg

Scoot2005

Banned
This is ridiculous. I understand it from a business perspective, but still ridiculous. It's Nintendo's fault for not marketing it at all. I love Ninty but... Just... Wow.

Edit - Third party games officially fucked. How do you sell something at the brick and mortar level when it's not even stocked.

Robin64

Anyone know the extent of UK retailers abandoning the Wii U?

Put it this way, I wanted to get Need for Speed at the weekend. Tesco had the 360 version, but of course, not a single Wii U game. Morrisons had no Wii U games. Game did not stock it. HMV closed. Basically, I couldn't get the game. Going to have to use the internet.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Work for Sainsburys and I don't think I've ever seen anyone buy anything for the Wii U, pretty sure the section has been made smaller too.

Goodlife

Did they ever stock them in the first place?

Never saw any in the few ASDA's I've been to.

Nor Tesco

Nor Morrisons.

Taker666

The fact the 3DS isn't available either makes this seem like an Amazon US type of falling out .

To be honest, my local Asda (which is pretty big) has never stocked Wii U. I've only seen 2 Wii U games there since launch (but they have a dedicated Vita section).

Old news. Asda have been clearing stock for months, which culminated in a ridiculously cheap sale a few weeks back, when all Wii U games were knocked down to less than half price. I got NSMBU for £18, down from £42.

Does anyone have a reasonable estimate of the number of brick and mortar game retailers in the UK out of curiosity?

We have numbers for software for the year through June, iirc, would be interesting to see how much product is moving per store per unit of time.

McLovin

You would think that Nintendo of all companies would have had a 3D Mario or Zelda ready for at least the launch window of the Wii U. Now its probably too late for X game to come in and save the day. Retailers are probably gonna make room for X1/PS4.

lonely

The asda I work at never stocked the Wii U in the first place. Only time we every had a game was when someone traded in.

SmokyDave

Yup, that's just hammered a nail into the Wii U coffin. If Sainsbury's and Tesco follow suit, the Wii U is as good as dead.

Yeah, pretty sure their 10+ billion cash reserve can help keep them afloat.
Pretty sure that 10+ billion figure is a couple of years old. I wonder how the coffers look now.

If they're not selling 3DS stuff either, it's probably more likely to be a tiff with Nintendo or its distributor than a vote of no confidence in the Wii U. Remember this is the same division of the company that's currently pissing off its biggest fans with regards to the Pikmin 3/The Wonderful 101 eShop promotion, so who knows what kind of short-sighted asshole maneuvers they're pulling at the expense of retailers.

dc89

I thought this was happening when I was in there last week. I went to look at the WiiU stuff and I couldn't find any of it. Then I realised, it was just mixed in amongst the Wii stuff. No point of sale for consoles etc.

Damn. Nintendo have to do something.

Deilpo

Neo Member
Too bad, I really want to get a Wii U but I'm worried that it won't last that long. I know thats terrible to say because basically part of the problem then.

Shiggy

I mean, this is unfair. I don't understand why everyone is giving up faith on Nintendo as if they don't have games down the pipeline that will make it worth it. It's so sad to see because they don't deserve this treatment.

Does ASDA sell the Wii and DS? Then people can buy NSMB, Mario 3D Land, Wii Fit Plus, DKCR (3D), and Wii Party instead. People interested in more of the same experience are either stuck with other stores or they can't get those games at all.

Put it this way, I wanted to get Need for Speed at the weekend. Tesco had the 360 version, but of course, not a single Wii U game. Morrisons had no Wii U games. Game did not stock it. HMV closed. Basically, I couldn't get the game. Going to have to use the internet.

Oh wow. Do you live in a relatively urban area?

I mean, this is unfair. I don't understand why everyone is giving up faith on Nintendo as if they don't have games down the pipeline that will make it worth it. It's so sad to see because they don't deserve this treatment.

This is the exact treatment they deserve. Retailers shouldn't be expected to keep precious space reserved for products that don't sell. Why is the Wii U not selling? Because Nintendo screwed up.

thuway

I hope this doesn't transfer over to the West. In Pakistan, it's hard enough to find a Wii U. The used market has virtually zero, and shop owners refuse to carry them. Nintendo really need to hire a guy like J. Allard to design the next box instead of relying on the Miyamoto flavor of the month.

Top Bottom