• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ASDA no longer stocking/selling the Wii U in stores, won't restock this year

kswiston

Big news. Asda is a haven for your typical educated UK gamer. Not.
They should just stock COD and FIFA and be done with it.

Educated gamers are a minority of the people who purchase and play videogames. For everyone else, you want you games and systems available (and visible) at as many retailers as possible.

My local Tesco and Asda have never had Wii U stock. The bigger ones haven't either from what I can tell. Even GAME has cut down on Wii U shelf space, so much so that its not on the wall, just on the little racks they use for used games. So yeah, it's bad.

liger05

And so it begins. Cant say I’m surprised. When a product is selling so poorly what incentive is there for the retailer to carry stock. Once PS4/Xbox One hits something is going to have to give as there is only so much shelf space available. 360/PS3/3DS are going strong. The Vita will still get some due to the PS4 but the Wii U could get shelved or you will find tiny little corners on wii u stock.

Since launch the Wii u presence on the high street has been a bit of a joke and somehow it could get even worse.

My gf ordered Pikmin 3 the other day and I'd like to play ZombiU but until they drop the price on this thing we're not going anywhere near it. I'd like to think they will but probably not this side of Christmas. Pikmin 3 sits, waiting.

Shiggy

I hope this doesn't transfer over to the West. In Pakistan, it's hard enough to find a Wii U. The used market has virtually zero, and shop owners refuse to carry them. Nintendo really need to hire a guy like J. Allard to design the next box instead of relying on the Miyamoto flavor of the month.

I see that you are not serious.

True. There are a lot of factors. Nintendo blamed the 2011 earthquake within the last 24 - 48 hours.

And yet I could see this being true lol

i0zThUb6h24Dc.gif

This is amazing on so many levels. :D

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
"Why are they not selling 3DS?" is the big questions here

besada

Banned
I mean, this is unfair. I don't understand why everyone is giving up faith on Nintendo as if they don't have games down the pipeline that will make it worth it. It's so sad to see because they don't deserve this treatment.

Unfair? The consoles don't sell, but they take up shelf space, so they're being removed so ASDA can use that space for something that does sell. That's how businesses work, rather than continuing to lose money in the hopes that another business will be able to correct their problems.

If the WiiU started selling like crazy, they'd start selling it in their stores again.

As for what they deserve, Nintendo made the decisions that put them here. No one else did that. They deserve exactly what they're getting.

Dunkers92

Yup, that's just hammered a nail into the Wii U coffin. If Sainsbury's and Tesco follow suit, the Wii U is as good as dead.

Lol, The supermarkets hardly supported the thing in the first place. When places like GAME stop stocking stuff for it and reducing shelf space (which they are doing), who Nintendo rely on hugely in the UK, that's when it is over

Unprecedented! Has this ever happened to any other console before?

I mean, this is unfair. I don't understand why everyone is giving up faith on Nintendo as if they don't have games down the pipeline that will make it worth it. It's so sad to see because they don't deserve this treatment.

If youve been following the whole WiiU situation since day dot, then it's hard not to feel any sympathy for Nintendo in how they have handled the machine. They have pretty much left the console dormant for half a year. It's no surprise that retailers have final put their hands up and said that's it.

StiLt

Put it this way, I wanted to get Need for Speed at the weekend. Tesco had the 360 version, but of course, not a single Wii U game. Morrisons had no Wii U games. Game did not stock it. HMV closed. Basically, I couldn't get the game. Going to have to use the internet.

Agreed. Anecdotal experience certainly so pinch of salt territory, but for South London I've pretty much only seen semi-healthy WiiU stockage in smaller places like CEX (which is an electronics exchange)

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
My local Tesco and Asda have never had Wii U stock. The bigger ones haven't either from what I can tell. Even GAME has cut down on Wii U shelf space, so much so that its not on the wall, just on the little racks they use for used games. So yeah, it's bad.

Exactly the same situation where I am.

No Wii U or Vita stuff in my local Tesco or ASDA. And there hasn't been for months.

The GAME thing is worse, though. All the walls are Xbox or PS, and Wii U is next to used PS2 and Wii games in the centre shelving. All of this after Nintendo gave them exclusive rights to sell download cards.

It's sad and reminds me very much of when the GameCube was on its way out.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
"Why are they not selling 3DS?" is the big questions here

Just online, from what I've seen in the article. In stores, they're selling it. Still, it's a bit strange since it's been the best selling console in UK for many weeks.

Would walmart ever consider not stocking Wii U products?

Walmart kept the GC in stock but there were many firesales and one day sales to move the product. I believe this was also in conjunction to the quarter Nintendo shipped 0 GC consoles and put a hold on manufacturing because they clogged the market.

Steroyd

So was the number 2 spot on the uk charts not a lot?

It's during the summer where sales are traditionally dogshit and new releases are few and far between, not that I want to downplay Pikman 3 actually charting, but it got outsold by Minecraft. which has been in the charts for weeks.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
While not directly connected to this, I thought a reminder about the 2013 First FY13 Quarter Earnings Release could be appropriate. Happens on the 31st of July (Wednesday). http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/schedule/index.html

As for the news, I'm not very surprised. Sad news of course though. Nintendo needs to do something fast especially considering the press conferences Microsoft and Sony will have at gamescom where they will gain even more momentum. And of course, the holiday will probably be very rough on Nintendo. While I don't doubt the sales potential of Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze and Super Mario 3D World, I think the Wii U shelves will see very little action overall.

Exile20

This is the exact treatment they deserve. Retailers shouldn't be expected to keep precious space reserved for products that don't sell. Why is the Wii U not selling? Because Nintendo screwed up.
Serious question. How is the Vita selling?
Along with them not selling the 3ds which was the best selling console leads me to believe that you might be wrong.

Scoot2005

Banned
Lol, The supermarkets hardly supported the thing in the first place. When places like GAME stop stocking stuff for it, who Nintendo rely on hugely in the UK, that's when it is over

I work for the company that owns ASDA... They have had abysmal levels of games for Wii U on the shelf. When it launched... I saw about 20 people come in to pick it up. This is bad... Wii U has potential.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Another nail. I don't think I've ever seen retail abandoning a console so soon after launch.

WiiU is fucked. I bought a turkey. Fuck.

The Wii U is unambiguously, unquestionably done in terms of relevance in the UK. It has absolutely sunk like a stone. I expect Tescos, Morrisons and Sainsburys to make similar announcements in short order.

Too bad, Nintendo. You screwed up. Try something new next time.

Mpl90

Rösti;73540353 said:
While not directly connected to this, I thought a reminder about the Jul. 31, 2013 First FY13 Quarter Earnings Release could be appropriate. Happens on the 31st of July (Wednesday). http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/schedule/index.html

As for the news, I'm not very surprised. Sad news of course though. Nintendo needs to do something fast especially considering the press conferences Microsoft and Sony will have at gamescom where they will gain even more momentum. And of course, the holiday will probably be very rough on Nintendo. While I don't doubt the sales potential of Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze and Super Mario 3D World, I think the Wii U shelves will see very little action overall.

3DS will make them happy (especially on the software front).
Wii U will make them cry. HARD.

Getting pulled from Asda may not be a huge deal, but there is no way to look at it as a good thing for Nintendo. They are not in a good place right now and it's going to get a lot worse once the X1 and PS4 hit.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
That's unfortunate.

Good thing there's games coming out this year that will probably move units, but that price point needs to be reduced.

Mpl90

Still too early to say, Nintendo could still pull it back from the brink as they did with the 3DS.

3DS has never, never, EVER been in such a dire situation. It was in a bad situation, but this is another level of bad. Heck, IIRC, Vita didn't see stores not stocking it anymore so soon after launch, did it?

Top Bottom