• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ASDA no longer stocking/selling the Wii U in stores, won't restock this year

Exile20

You have to admit the PS4/XB1 is going to be far more attractive to the holiday shopper this season than the Wii U.

Relying on a sequel to a 3DS game and a remake of a Gamecube Zelda game is not best strategy to go up against two of the biggest gaming hardware manufactors in the industry.

Ofocurse it is, I never said not. People love their shooters.

I just found it funny he was hating on Nintendo because of "reharsh" Zelda especially when they said this new Zelda will be different from any other one released before and yet cheering for next gen which has so many shooters.

This is the end
Hold your breath and count to ten
Feel the sales drop and then
Hear the fans cry again

For this is the end
I've seen and gif'd this moment
So overdue I owe them
Swept away, I'm stolen

Let Wii U fall
When it crumbles
We will stand tall
Face next-gen together

Let Wii U fall
When it crumbles
We will stand tall
Face next-gen together
At Wii U's fall

~~~

Terrible re-written lyrics aside, I honestly expected this fate for the Wii, not Wii U.

Feorax

You know, I was one who never saw the Wii U taking off like the Wii did, I thought it would end up doing a modest 40 - 50 million hardware units sold, which is well above the N64 and is around SNES numbers roughly. Those numbers are like a pipedream now though, when the thing is tracking on par or below the Gamecube. However man, I never thought it would end up doing as bad as this, its almost like the console itself is a bad omen or something.

The next logical step was evolution.

Nintendo decided it would have another go at revolution instead.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Next time maybe Nintendo will wait until more of their first party IP is ready for release before they try and push new hardware.

The majority of consumers won't buy hardware when little good software exists to utilize said hardware.

liger05

Surely if they actually gave it a presence (this is going for all retailers) then it may have helped.

I know it's not their place and Nintendo needs to sort their marketing out, but if they had a significant section in stores, then people would realise the Wii U exists and check it out. Without it, of course it's not going to sell if you don't sell it.

But something must of went majorly wrong between Nintendo and those retailers when even @ launch they didnt give a damn.

Maybe the way Nintendo let the Wii die a slow death for 2 years didnt sit too well with those retailers.

This is a very good point. I guess I'm just hoping that Nintendo don't let it flounder and eventually die. Would be a damn shame to see them drop out of the home console market in favour of focusing on the handheld market, even though, as you rightly say, it's where they are at their strongest.

At this point, seeing Nintendo's preference for not targeting top graphics and such, I am thinking that maybe their future might lie in a home/handheld hybrid console.

Like several current tablets/phones that can connect to a TV but with a better design to support both forms of play.

So like the handheld could just connect to a 'cradle' that is already connected to the to power and TV and with a controller/pad automatically pairing with it.

It just seems that handling 2 consoles (home and handheld) has spread Nintendo a bit thin over the generations. I don't know why.

In all honesty, if consoles are to keep going, this is pretty much the future for all of them, but it seems to me that this paradigm fits Nintendo more than Sony or MS.

Moze

Banned
I love how Wiiu after 9 months is already doomed beyond repair, and Vita for well over 16 months is still salvagable.

It is especially funny when you look at the line up of the 2 systems lol. Vita has no games now and has no games in the future. At least the Wii U has a great line up for the next year or so

At this point, seeing Nintendo's preference for not targeting top graphics and such, I am thinking that maybe their future might lie in a home/handheld hybrid console.

Like several current tablets/phones that can connect to a TV but with a better design to support both forms of play.

So like the handheld could just connect to a 'cradle' that is already connected to the to power and TV and with a controller/pad automatically pairing with it.

It just seems that handling 2 consoles (home and handheld) has spread Nintendo a bit thin over the generations. I don't know why.

In all honesty, if consoles are to keep going, this is pretty much the future for all of them, but it seems to me that this paradigm fits Nintendo more than Sony or MS.

3DS with Chromecast support.

Azih

I bet Iwata blames THIS on Reggie as well, goes off on him, and Reggie is all like "WHAT DO YOU WANT FROM ME? ALL THE DECISIONS ARE YOURS! IT'S NOT EVEN NORTH AMERICA!"

Daedardus

If he spent less time worry about fruit and more time worry about his job performance maybe Wii U would be doing better.

He should have been staring at a new IP in his hand.

Fruit is healthy though! Maybe we should start to worry more about life than about video games ;)

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
3D is probably a bigger pull with more 'casual' gamers. It's like an obvious upgrade over the DS for them. Not the power etc, the 3D effect.

I was skeptic about the 3D effect too (I have a weird eye issue that prevents me from enjoying most types of 3D).

I recently bought a 3DS and have been extremely impressed with the 3D aspect of the system. I especially like it in RPG settings like Fire Emblem. Something about the sprites and the text bubbles actually being on a different layer is very appealing to me.

JoeM86

But something must of went majorly wrong between Nintendo and those retailers when even @ launch they didnt give a damn.

Maybe the way Nintendo let the Wii die a slow death for 2 years didnt sit too well with those retailers.

Well yes, that much is clear.

We don't know what happened, but something has.

Hell, there are reports of Asda removing 3DS stuff as well, so it's not just "Oh, the Wii U is doing awful". Something has snapped

Dunkers92

It is especially funny when you look at the line up of the 2 systems lol. Vita has no games now and has no games in the future. At least the Wii U has a great line up for the next year or so

Come on now. Killzone, Tearaway, Rayman, Batman this year. And then there is the PS4 which will give it some legs

3D is probably a bigger pull with more 'casual' gamers. It's like an obvious upgrade over the DS for them. Not the power etc, the 3D effect.

It was such an obvious upgrade that the thing stumbled badly for its entire launch window and didn't experience its turn around until it got games that people cared about alongside a price drop that hurt the company's financials for that year.

Come on. I like the 3DS as much as anybody else who owns one and regularly uses it, but have SOME perspective here. The 3D was not the draw, having the games the people wanted to play IS what is making it a success RIGHT NOW.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Once the new HD twins turn up. I would imagine that any shelf space currently occupied by WiiU will all but disappear.

Bumhead

Banned
Basically, the Vita is in a better position because things could happen. One hell of reasoning.

Sony have the options of increasing the Vita's brand awareness and marketing on the back of the launch of the much high profile PlayStation 4, as well as a seperate strategy for the console itself through price drops, bundles or other value adds.

I'm not saying the Vita is a guaranteed success this Christmas but Sony have options on the table to reshuffle and re-evaluate the market for the Vita. And retailers seem to be giving Sony the breathing room to do that.

I bet Nintendo wish they had the same options.

I love how Wiiu after 9 months is already doomed beyond repair, and Vita for well over 16 months is still salvagable.

I love how after 9 months the Wii U is already being dropped by retailers and having it's retail space and point of sale reduced to store scaps, and Vita for well over 16 months is still on the market and arguably has a stronger retail presence than the Wii U.

It's alright getting pissy with people about the whole "Nintendoomed" thing you guys always refer to, but retailers deciding this thing IS beyond repair after only 9 months speaks volumes more about the situation than you, I or anyone else on this forum.

Well yes, that much is clear.

We don't know what happened, but something has.

Hell, there are reports of Asda removing 3DS stuff as well, so it's not just "Oh, the Wii U is doing awful". Something has snapped

I am pretty sure that's one of the main reasons because what's the point of meeting demand when the demand is close to zero?

Vita is doing awful, WiiU is doing Gizmondo numbers.

Don't know why this is shocking. I've been saying this for awhile. With sales that bad no retailer is going to waste money carrying this crap. Wii U very well could become a Nintendo online shop exclusive.

I have a feeling that Nintendo's Marketing team failed to provide adequte marketing material (good demo kiosk, good physical ads, good incentives, good training) and tried to rely on the holiday season to sell through their units.

Their plan backfired once it became evident that the consumers had absolutely no interest or knowledge of the Wii U.

Now retailers don't give a damn and are repaying Nintendo the favor for getting screwed over for the last 7 years because Nintendo never provided price protection on the stock they buy.

I am pretty sure that's one of the main reasons because what's the point of meeting demand when the demand is close to zero?

Vita is doing awful, WiiU is doing Gizmondo numbers.

What?

I know the Wii U is failing in the worldwide sales market, but the Gizmondo managed <25,000 units in total.

Wii U is at 1.19 million in the USA alone.

I think people are using too much hyperbole when they say this indicates the Wii U has died. It's in a really bad place and it's going to be last this gen but one store not stocking it does not mean it's done. There has yet to be a price drop and more importantly all the big titles have yet to be released. The only big game released has been NSMBU. Mario 3D World, Mario Kart 8 and Smash are still to be released in addition to a lot of other games. It's far from over. It won't be nearly as successful as Nintendo wanted it to be but they'll throw themselves at it before they allow it to fail completely.
Whilst it may just be one big store not stocking it, the shelf space allocated to the Wii U in general in UK retail is absolutely laughable. It's a really bad situation, considering how much weight the large supermarkets have when it comes to game sales.

They did for a while in my local but recently the vita section has vanished.

Do they sell anything at all? Maybe it's them who are struggling? (I'm just asking I don't know how is the retail gaming business in UK).
Or if not struggling they may not make a lot of money with video games.

Moze

Banned
Come on now. Killzone, Tearaway, Rayman, Batman this year. And then there is the PS4 which will give it some legs

1 okay..ish exclusive
1 great exclusive
2 third party games

Vita sounds great. Why would i want to play pikmin 3, W101 and Mario 3d world when i can play a mediocre console franchise on a handheld?

Downhome

I saw the US NPD numbers for the last few months posted earlier. If they are that low in the US, what are the numbers in the UK?

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Surely if they actually gave it a presence (this is going for all retailers) then it may have helped.

I know it's not their place and Nintendo needs to sort their marketing out, but if they had a significant section in stores, then people would realise the Wii U exists and check it out. Without it, of course it's not going to sell if you don't sell it.

Nintendo would have had to have given ASDA a reason to give it a sizeable section and to push it. This isn't some vacuum where the WiiU isn't selling terribly in every single retail location on the Planet Earth where you can point fingers at ASDA and go "bad form chaps, the miracle turnaround is just months are, all hail Iwata!".

Even when they were selling the thing at cutthroat £100 off price bomb people weren't battering down store doors or it making much a dent at all on the charts.

The writing is on the wall.

I know the Wii U is failing in the worldwide sales market, but the Gizmondo managed <25,000 units in total.

Wii U is at 1.19 million in the USA alone.

I was talking more about Europe and UK market than overall.
No doubt WiiU is doing better in the USA due to the strong Nintendo roots, in Europe Nintendo isn't as much beloved.

People holding out for a price drop; Asda already did fire sales. Barely moved the needle.
If he spent less time worry about fruit and more time worry about his job performance maybe Wii U would be doing better.

He should have been starring at a new IP in his hand.
Good Lord, you really are a fucking joke.

drspeedy

3DS with Chromecast support.

You joke, but I'm still anxioously waiting on the one-console future.

I bring my handheld to my buddy's house, we can play console-level games there using his handheld as controller 2. Grandma's house? No problem! Plug in the dongle. iPhone app for offscreen control? Why not?

Laugh at me if you will, but it's gonna be awesome. Nvidia Sheild goes and gets itself Chromecast support and we're having a different conversation overnight...
well, Chomrecast and a Dreamcast emulator. And a probably a price drop. I already own too many game systems... and I'm cheap

Once I found out HD WW didn't add back any of the cut content I lost all interest. I've always been team Nintendo but thus far they haven't convinced me to buy either a wiiu or 3ds, although the 3ds is nearly there and I'll probably get one on boxing day. I hope Nintendo can hold out and start pumping out games. No third party support makes me weary of the wiiu.

Top Bottom