• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ASDA no longer stocking/selling the Wii U in stores, won't restock this year

Ahasverus

With the PS4 and Xbone on the horizon, there's simply not incentive to the general audience to buy a WiiU, seeing how third parties abandoned it I doubt anyone would prefer the new zelda rehash over tens of third party games. Sorry Nintendo, please try again. And how about not treating us like fucking children. Thank you.

Nevasleep

Not sure how you could have missed it? Are the smaller stores not Walmart branded then?
That's just the "super-centres".

Majority just have the Asda Logo.
Asda_-_55391874_314092c.jpg

Ishan

So one more console generation away from megaton e3 announcement of Sony/ms buying Nintendo ? :) I would like that hehe cause otherwise it's going to an iOS Fest

Dunkers92

Yeah, if the PS4 and the XB1 are even moderately successful this holiday season while Wii U continues to "hold steady", it'll be an easy decision for stores to take shelf space away from it to give to the newer consoles.

If there is no Wii U price cut by the time the One and PS4 are out, I can't even comprehend how low the sales will be in the UK

Exile20

For the Wii U in the USA:

Average weekly sales for April were ~9,250 units
Average weekly sales for May were ~8,250 units
Average weekly sales for June were ~8,400 units

The Wii U hasn't turned around at all.

August is the first month we should look at when talking about a turn around with:

Pikmin 3
NSLU(retail)
TW101 etc.

With less and less orders being made and stores stocking the system, it's only a matter of time before Nintendo is forced to stop production of the Wii U.

Nintendo had to stop production Gamecube systems for a while after 2-3 years on the market. Wii U seems like it will reach
production halt even sooner.

Likely that they already have. They wouldn't have to publicly announce it as they did in 2003.

Riky

$MSFT
The 3DS had a slow start due to lack of decent software, can't believe they have made the same mistake again. I think the Wii U will be a lot harder to put right as well.

Patryn

So one more console generation away from megaton e3 announcement of Sony/ms buying Nintendo ? :) I would like that hehe cause otherwise it's going to an iOS Fest

No. The likely future course is Nintendo converts solely to being a handheld company and gets out of the home console business.

August is the first month we should look at when talking about a turn around with:

Pikmin 3
NSLU(retail)
TW101 etc.

TW101 is being sent to die. It won't make a blip on the radar.

It really wasn't. Maybe for the first wave of buyers, but sales have shown that the 3D was completely irrelevant as a sales factor. It was games and a good pricecut with aggressive marketing that started to sell the 3DS, not 3D. Notice how Nintendo themselves have completely dropped pushing the 3D front and centre themselves in their marketing.

Exile20

With the PS4 and Xbone on the horizon, there's simply not incentive to the general audience to buy a WiiU, seeing how third parties abandoned it I doubt anyone would prefer the new zelda rehash over tens of FPS/TPS third party games. Sorry Nintendo, please try again. And how about not treating us like fucking children. Thank you.

Fixed it for you.

Bumhead

Banned
PS4 meanwhile is probably going to be a major centerpiece of game retailers holiday season so Sony has room to use it to force Vita stock down their throats.

Vita will be fine this year. Sony will probably incorporate it into the PS4 POS at at least some level. I notice the Vita is listed as an accessory to the PS4 on GAME.co.uk's PS4 pages.

I think the system has just enough about it to justify its market position anyway, to be honest. It's not unrealistic to expect a combination of price cut, bundles and software out of Gamescom and that could put the Vita in an OK position for Christmas.

The Vita is in a better place than the Wii U is right now in almost every single metric.

Ishan

No. The likely future course is Nintendo converts solely to being a handheld company and gets out of the home console business.

I'm wondering If the handheld business will still be around then . For all the talk of smartphones and tablets making consoles irrelevant . Handhelds falling first seems more likely . Far more attempts already by eg Nokia to merge phones an handhelds ..

Pikmin 3
NSLU(retail)
TW101 etc.

Pikmin 3 will be lucky to sell 1 Million
NSLU likewise
TW101 will probably sell around 300k

All those are worldwide sales. All of them good games, but none of them will sell.

Pikmin 3
NSLU(retail)
TW101 etc.

Neither Pikmin 3 nor TW101 are poised to be system sellers at launch. Pikmin 1/2 certainly weren't in the GC days and not even Nintendo seems to have faith in TW101 doing well.

I can't see NSLU Retail doing better as a system seller since the base game (NSMBU) wasn't a system seller either.

Feorax

There really should have been a price drop way before this. By the time October comes around, no-one will remember this thing with GTA V fresh in the mind, and the next gen consoles round the corner.

It's like 2007 era PS3, but without the motivation to try and fix it.

KNT-Zero

Well, they have been pricing Wii U stuff really low recently. Last time I went to the videogame section they had the WiiU Pro Controller at £20 (whereas GAME has it priced by £30) so yeah...

Oersted

With the PS4 and Xbone on the horizon, there's simply not incentive to the general audience to buy a WiiU, seeing how third parties abandoned it I doubt anyone would prefer the new zelda rehash over tens of third party games. Sorry Nintendo, please try again. And how about not treating us like fucking children. Thank you.

Zelda and rehashes? The queen of delays? Are you even trying to know what you are talking about?

Vita will be fine this year. Sony will probably incorporate it into the PS4 POS at at least some level. I notice the Vita is listed as an accessory to the PS4 on GAME.co.uk's PS4 pages.

I think the system has just enough about it to justify its market position anyway, to be honest. It's not unrealistic to expect a combination of price cut, bundles and software out of Gamescom and that could put the Vita in an OK position for Christmas.

The Vita is in a better place than the Wii U is right now in almost every single metric.

Basically, the Vita is in a better position because things could happen. One hell of reasoning.

liger05

Only if the heat wave was also at Christmas.

They haven't stocked the Wii U at all. At most it has been on their online store. However, even at launch they didn't have it. Same with Sainsburys and Tesco. They didn't want to support Nintendo before or during launch for whatever reason.

This should come as no big shock to anyone

Given how slow the demand has been for the console couldnt you argue they were correct in not buying wii u stock?

scitek

Their future consoles are probably fucked as well. With the U's performance, I'd say their image as a console maker has taken a huge hit. Microsoft and Sony are the "go to" guys now, while Nintendo is becoming the next Sega.

The console market is a pretty small one. I know there are a combined 200+ million of them out there from this generation, but that took 8 years to achieve. Meanwhile, Apple sold 31 million iPhones last quarter.

The "go to" guys are too similar, so regardless of how poorly Nintendo's machine may be selling right now, it's still guaranteed to have a line-up of games that you won't be able to find anywhere else. That alone means it stands a chance at turning things around enough to do decently well this generation. It could take a couple of years, but if there's eventually an amazing line-up of first-party software, I could see that being enough of a reason for people to start seeking one out.

MattXIII

Oh damn...
I just got a Wii U a month ago(for a bargain) but I hope it wasnt a mistake now...
Reminding me of the days when the Gamecube went from $350 in my country to $100... Begining of the end? :(, Soon after, they stopped selling it entirely.

I know how you feel...
A few weeks ago online retailers in my country slashed the WiiU price to about $200, picked one up on a whim, still haven't unboxed the thing yet

dc89

I have stopped!

The damage is done and now I can just sit back and watch. I'll be ready and waiting next time they launch their Fisher Price hardware, however.

I thought you bought one from HMV?!

I take it you didn't keep it for long?

-MB-

I love how Wiiu after 9 months is already doomed beyond repair, and Vita for well over 16 months is still salvagable.

Fixed it for you.

You have to admit the PS4/XB1 is going to be far more attractive to the holiday shopper this season than the Wii U.

Relying on a sequel to a 3DS game and a remake of a Gamecube Zelda game is not best strategy to go up against two of the biggest gaming hardware manufactors in the industry.

Skyzard

Banned
Asda stores are massive and they have so much shit, they can't stock 2-3 wii u consoles in each store lol? Making a company wide decision like that...

Trying to pressure Nintendo into an early regional price drop?

Or are Wii U boxes surprisingly big or something?

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
You're not seriously suggesting that the deluge of software wasn't the reason for it picking up right?

Of course that helped but I believe the 3D is still a big and more importantly understandable draw to the public rather then a bolted on tablet.

JoeM86

Given how slow the demand has been for the console couldnt you argue they were correct in not buying wii u stock?

Surely if they actually gave it a presence (this is going for all retailers) then it may have helped.

I know it's not their place and Nintendo needs to sort their marketing out, but if they had a significant section in stores, then people would realise the Wii U exists and check it out. Without it, of course it's not going to sell if you don't sell it.

Yawnier

Banned
You know, I was one who never saw the Wii U taking off like the Wii did, I thought it would end up doing a modest 40 - 50 million hardware units sold, which is well above the N64 and is around SNES numbers roughly. Those numbers are like a pipedream now though, when the thing is tracking on par or below the Gamecube. However man, I never thought it would end up doing as bad as this, its almost like the console itself is a bad omen or something.

If stores like this here in NA stop carrying the console altogether (the stores that carry it anyways have such small shelf space devoted to it), then that is even more trouble for the machine.

Top Bottom