• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed 3: Liberation (Vita) revealed in Game Informer, [Large Update In OP]

Epcott

Would be great if this game is released in September... or November. I can't think of a reason to buy this with AC3 come release day, I'll be too busy playing AC3 (-_^).

But it IS AC3 on the go, sort of (but not really). Meh, still a crazy idea.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
They're probably thinking that this way the game is gonna profit from the money they spend on marketing AC3 and that the game is gonna get more attention in general this way.

But that NEVER worked. I remember the Avatar games, all different games, all the same cover, all released on the same day. All failures.

matmanx1

Well this is pretty darn exciting, isn't it? I love Pre E3 weeks for all the cool tidbits of gaming goodness that start to crop up. I was already more excited for AC 3 than any of the other games in the series because of the ridiculously cool setting and main character but this Vita version looks to at least meet or exceed that level of cool based purely on concept alone.

But! Execution will be key here as it always is on these things. If Ubi Sofia can pull this off then there's certainly the potential for greatness. I'm very excited to see how this one develops and have high hopes that it will stand up alongside it's console brethren.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Nintendo doesn't get a free pass, just because it's Nintendo. You already forgot the 3DS at 249 and "has no games" period? While it still did better than the Vita is doing now, it obviously wasn't "good" and Nintendo knew that, hence the panick mode. Vita is in the same situation, it needs games and a price cut down the line. This game, Assassin's Creed Liberation is a good start for the Western market and Soul Sacrifice is a good start for Japan. I hope to see more interesting game announcements during E3 for the Vita.

But the thing is, Nintendo does get a free pass because they are Nintendo. They've kind of earned a lot of leeway for saving the gaming industry in the 80's, and franchises like Mario, Zelda, and Metroid are so iconic that they tend to carry the platforms (and, unfortunately, overshadow other efforts from Nintendo that are quality, but don't carry that brand power).

The Wii, in my opinion, was a poor console, but people will defend it to the death. I think it was a step down from their previous efforts (I thought the Gamecube was fricking awesome).

The 3DS didn't have any games when it launched. It was a poor launch. The hardware also didn't justify the $250 price tag back then. The Vita is the exact opposite. It actually has an incredibly strong lineup, and the $250 price is, while high, a lot more understandable, given it's features and horsepower.

You're dismissing quite a few really impressive titles hitting the Vita in the coming weeks/months. Some of them have been released in Japan already (ie, Ragnarok Odyssey), some of them are coming later (ie, Zero Escape, Persona 4, etc).

Nintendo gets a pass because people are very quick to say, "Well, I'll give them the benefit of the doubt because Mario, Zelda, Metroid will no doubt show up."

No one gives PlayStation products that benefit of the doubt, despite many of their franchises having rather sizable, and devoted fans (ie, Uncharted, God of War, Twisted Metal, Gran Turismo, etc).

I do think Sony should lower the price of the Vita at some point, but the console isn't even a year old yet. It hasn't even been out in the US for half a year. It, literally, released 4 months ago, and people want it to have this incredibly substantial library of games.

It's not even the middle of the year yet. E3 hasn't hit, not all the announcements have been made. The doom and gloom is tiring, because it's very rarely, if ever, accurate.

People predicted the Wii would fail. People predicted the PSP would fail. People predicted the PS3 would fail. People predicted the 3DS would fail, but it's recovered significantly when, to the surprise of no one, a Mario game was released for the platform.

Sony's really key franchises outside of Uncharted have yet to appear on the Vita. LBP is a tentpole. Gran Turismo as well. I'm sure the fans of both would LOVE to get their hands on a Vita version.

As an Assassin's Creed fan, I'm stoked for this Vita version. I wasn't expecting a new story/character. I was expecting a port of AC3. This news is awesome, and the game is sounding impressive.

Given that I've owned a Vita since it's US launch, and am intimately familiar with how it functions, I have high expectations for this AC game. I think it could be really fricking great, especially if it integrates some of it's various features like front and back touch, motion controls, 3G/Near, etc.

Afrikan

So this is how it works when u buy a new system huh?

I bought my Vita mainly, and or I thought only for Sports game ports...like Madden, Fifa, MLB etc and PS1/2 classics.

Never intended to buy single player adventure games, although i do love them for my home console.

But reading about this game really has me interested. I never put the time into the Assassin's series....this might do the trick.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
So this is how it works when u buy a new system huh?

I bought my Vita mainly, and or I thought only for Sports game ports...like Madden, Fifa, MLB etc and PS1/2 classics.

Never intended to buy single player adventure games, although i do love them for my home console.

But reading about this game really has me interested. I never put the time into the Assassin's series....this might do the trick.

I think it's one of the best new IPs this generation next to series like Uncharted, Demons/Dark Souls, and inFAMOUS.

I actually enjoyed the first game, but the series didn't really shine until part 2, and I thought Brotherhood was awesome. I'll pick up Revelations in a few months, then get 3 once I clear Revelations.

Also, don't go into Brotherhood thinking it's some little side thing because it's not a numbered entry. I sunk over 25 hours into that one, and still haven't completed all the extra quests (Just did the story stuff, with some side quests every once in a while).

The story is also really intriguing. I'm super excited for this Vita version. Proper AC on the go will be excellent.

I love all the new IPs being announced/released on the Vita, but I certainly like seeing familiar franchises on it as well.

RamzaIsCool

The Amiga Brotherhood

Dude.....

I should remove that if I were you.

well just in case

350662-big_boss_salute_super.jpg

I'd be more likely to buy AC3 if it came with this game for an extra $20. If they don't do a bundle I probably won't buy either.

or the smart/rational choice. Put a psn code for this game in the AC3 super premium box.

like most people said above, cautiously optimistic.

I'm predicting great visuals and gameplay, but poor mission/level structures and a super short campaign (for ass creed) and most likely stodgy performance.

Prove me wrong ubisoft c team!

KillGore

Please, please, please, I have faith in you Ubisoft! Give me a console experience on the go. I'm guessing it won't have such a great multiplayer as the console versions, instead it'll be something like mini games? fuck

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Looks and sounds cool... shame I have no interest in owning a portable gaming device.

Yjynx

Just saw the scans of the character and screenshot. Looks really good. Better than I expected.

What really bums me out is that it just doesn't seem like the Vita can win. So many people say,

"God, the Vita needs games! I'd be interested if it had games I want to play!"

Games get announced:

"Games look awesome. Too bad it's on the Vita."

You wanted Vita games. Now Vita games are announced. To play them, you will need to buy a Vita. It's like that with any gaming platform. Back in the day, I wanted to play Bioshock, Mass Effect, Elder Scrolls IV, and Crackdown. I only owned a PS3. What did I do? I got a 360 (my PC wasn't good enough to run the PC versions).

The Vita is a great machine. The PSP was also a great machine, although it's the popular thing to look at it as this pathetic excuse for a portable gaming device, despite it's pretty awesome library of games, and over 80 million units sold (it's sold more than the 360 and PS3 in total units sold so far).

The Vita is a fantastic follow-up to the PSP. I imagine that a lot of the negativity stems from a lack of actual, lengthy hands on with the Vita and some of it's best games (and some of the many PSP games that look and play much better on the Vita). It doesn't get nearly the love it deserves, and I can't help but wonder if it had a "Nintendo" label on it would people be more receptive to it's qualities (for the record, I think Nintendo's handhelds are also fantastic, I just haven't picked one up yet).

But the thing is, Nintendo does get a free pass because they are Nintendo. They've kind of earned a lot of leeway for saving the gaming industry in the 80's, and franchises like Mario, Zelda, and Metroid are so iconic that they tend to carry the platforms (and, unfortunately, overshadow other efforts from Nintendo that are quality, but don't carry that brand power).

The Wii, in my opinion, was a poor console, but people will defend it to the death. I think it was a step down from their previous efforts (I thought the Gamecube was fricking awesome).

The 3DS didn't have any games when it launched. It was a poor launch. The hardware also didn't justify the $250 price tag back then. The Vita is the exact opposite. It actually has an incredibly strong lineup, and the $250 price is, while high, a lot more understandable, given it's features and horsepower.

You're dismissing quite a few really impressive titles hitting the Vita in the coming weeks/months. Some of them have been released in Japan already (ie, Ragnarok Odyssey), some of them are coming later (ie, Zero Escape, Persona 4, etc).

Nintendo gets a pass because people are very quick to say, "Well, I'll give them the benefit of the doubt because Mario, Zelda, Metroid will no doubt show up."

No one gives PlayStation products that benefit of the doubt, despite many of their franchises having rather sizable, and devoted fans (ie, Uncharted, God of War, Twisted Metal, Gran Turismo, etc).

I do think Sony should lower the price of the Vita at some point, but the console isn't even a year old yet. It hasn't even been out in the US for half a year. It, literally, released 4 months ago, and people want it to have this incredibly substantial library of games.

It's not even the middle of the year yet. E3 hasn't hit, not all the announcements have been made. The doom and gloom is tiring, because it's very rarely, if ever, accurate.

People predicted the Wii would fail. People predicted the PSP would fail. People predicted the PS3 would fail. People predicted the 3DS would fail, but it's recovered significantly when, to the surprise of no one, a Mario game was released for the platform.

Sony's really key franchises outside of Uncharted have yet to appear on the Vita. LBP is a tentpole. Gran Turismo as well. I'm sure the fans of both would LOVE to get their hands on a Vita version.

As an Assassin's Creed fan, I'm stoked for this Vita version. I wasn't expecting a new story/character. I was expecting a port of AC3. This news is awesome, and the game is sounding impressive.

Given that I've owned a Vita since it's US launch, and am intimately familiar with how it functions, I have high expectations for this AC game. I think it could be really fricking great, especially if it integrates some of it's various features like front and back touch, motion controls, 3G/Near, etc.

Great post bro.

Anyway totally loving the MC right know. I don't know it's just that there's something that really alluring about her.

that shot of aveline standing on rooftop, I think that's screenshot from a cg trailer. all assassin creed game have cg announcement trailer, I think it's a big part of AC hype. maybe we'll only get a cg trailer at e3 conferences.

edit: oh, and is aveline holding a whip in that screenshot? looks cool

that shot of aveline standing on rooftop, I think that's screenshot from a cg trailer. all assassin creed game have cg announcement trailer, I think it's a big part of AC hype. maybe we'll only get a cg trailer at e3 conferences.

edit: oh, and is aveline holding a whip in that screenshot? looks cool

Being that is releases same date as AC3 for consoles I would hope for more than a ch trailer at e3. Guess we will know Monday. Ubisoft is Monday as well right? Or this might make its way into the Sony conference.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
I imagine their goal is to have the game sold in a lot of Vita holiday bundles.

But it's still going for the same fanbase I think? unless if Ubi want to expand the AC IP to new audience or something ( and if so then they need to drop the number 3 and make it less related to AssCreed stories so new people can pick it and play).

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
But it's still going for the same fanbase I think? unless if Ubi want to expand the AC IP to new audience or something ( and if so then they need to drop the number 3 and make it less related to AssCreed stories so new people can pick it and play).

I feel the goal would be to bundle it at about the same price as a regular Vita and sell it to people with the system, since if they don't have the system, they can't sell it to them anyway.

The holiday is usually the best time for bundles, and they're one of the few games we know of on Vita with sales potential, so it's about as good of an option as they can come up with.

To put it another way, I don't think it is a game that is banking on week one sales so much as holiday gift sales.

ok This looks very good. Alright, I can't wait for my Game Informer copy. Damn it, Monday can't come soon enough. Please ubi, do a 79.99 bundle :(. I gotta have AC3 on ps3 on day one too.

Raonak

Banned
Wow. main character has be interested in this.

I liked AC2, but never managed to finish it. might pick this one up.

CamHostage

It's stupid to release two different games of the same brand on the same day. There is a limited amount of money people are willing to pay on the same brand at once. Should release this a few months after ACIII IMO.

It's a gamble as anything, but it's not a bad idea. Game companies aren't like movie companies where opening weekend makes or breaks the production. They care about what it moves that season, not necessarily that day, and if people see that there's a portable game but can't get it that same day, at least the company gets the word out that the game's available; it's much harder to advertise when you don't have a huge budget and full-company push behind it (plus you can hide the trailer on the disc of the other game and have cross-play features and all that.)

Game companies used to do it all the time with their Game Boy releases, though we're talking massively different scales. It worked then. It's happened more than a few times on PSP and DS as well, the portable AC spin-offs or Tomb Raiders or the Need for Speed Nitro, there are a bunch more I'm not remembering but I remember it happening quite a bit. In fact, AC:Bloodlines came out same day as AC II and it's been moderately successful (the PSP Greatest Hits line is sketchy but it made that, for a PSP game it's one of the better-remembered releases and lots of people on this very thread played it.)

{about Assassin's Creed: Bloodlines} It was actually somewhat impressive technically for the PSP, but the design was just a bit poor. Still better than AC1 though :)

Keep in mind that AC:B was done by an outside studio. Griptonite developed it, Ubi Montreal directed and I assume wrote it. So they had people involved connected to the franchise, but the day-to-day and tech development and all of that was done by another company. Things could go smoother with an internal studio, you still have the same communication/approval hurdles but you can share technology and techniques, and you worry less about leaks (this was obviously developed concurrently with AC3 and so disclosure could have been a problem, although AC2/AC:B relations went smoothly for all accounts; I know studios who have worked on major franchises and have been kept in the dark until the very last minute, but that tends to be Hollywood movie licenses, I don't know how bad a company can get with original IP?) I would expect fewer of those incongruities of control/design between the portable and console version in this relationship, but we'll have to see if Ubisoft Sofia is up to the task of delivering (and Ubisoft is committed as a producer) whether AC:L succeeds in its own right.

I wish western devs would start taking handhelds seriously. Seriously guys :\
Konami with MercurySteam and Disney are. ...Strangely.

As credible as DreamRift is, I'm not sure if I give Disney credit for "taking handhelds seriously" when we're talking a modestly-budgeted 2D platformer by a tiny little studio (who apparently came up with the whole idea, on a design that has zero to do with the Epic Mickey franchise BTW but who cares if it'll sell...) Disney hasn't put AAA effort into any other portable release yet that I can name. (They also ported the wrong damned Black Rock Studios game to PSP...)

And as far as MercurySteam, that is I'd bet them pushing on Konami more than the other way around. It's in their best interest to branch out since they only have one hit under their belts, now's a great time for a company like this to start a portable studio and expand their portfolio. It's a financial and strategic endeavor as much as anything else (though hopefully the game quality pays off too, sneaks have looked awesome so far.)

...But yes, agreed that portables shouldn't automatically be the B-team assignment. We saw some great steps up from that last gen, but we've still got a long way to go.

iceatcs

God dammit. I shouldn't have spent my money on the new ipad. I miss some deep rich portable gaming. At least it will coming in the fall. Plenty of time to save up.

lots of pedestrians.

great start...AC: Bloodlines had such a sad barren environment. if this one doesn't interact or enhance with the main version i may pass on it...

edit: i just saw some scans. that looks a zillion times better than bloodlines, wow

megalowho

Sounds very promising, both the character and setting. I would buy both this and ACIII same day easy, the more good Vita games the better.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Sounds awesome, we finally get a female assassin and it ends up on Vita, crazy.
Sony really need to advertise this along with AC3, I hope they have an advertising deal in place with Ubisoft, it would be such a shame otherwise to leave it in the wind and hope for the best, showing things off at E3 isn't enough Sony, people need to know these things are coming!

A double pack of both for a little more would be an excellent choice, another "Limited" edition maybe.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Great post bro.

Anyway totally loving the MC right know. I don't know it's just that there's something that really alluring about her.

Yeah, as a black guy, it's been really cool to see more black leads in games, like Emmett from Starhawk, the main guy from Prototype 2, this new woman from AC3: Lib.

I'm hoping this trend becomes more than just an exception to the rule in the gaming industry. Developers shouldn't be afraid to use more minority in lead spots. I find it more insulting to the non-minority gamers that developers (and Hollywood, also, honestly), think that non-minority users don't want to play as minority characters in games (or see movies with minority leads).

Character creation isn't enough. It's not an acceptable replacement. I want more blacks portrayed like Nathan Drake, not 50 Cent.

Anyway, I'm totally intrigued by this new main character. I hope they do some really awesome stuff with her character. There's a lot of potential, given her ethnicity, and the setting the game is taking place in. I don't want them to shy away from the obvious subject matter in fear of not being PC for some users. AC is a "M" franchise. Treat the players like they are mature enough to handle some deep thought in between all dat assassinatin'

GQman2121

Banned
I wish they would drop the animus stuff already. It's completely unnecessary at this point.

Everything sounds lovely so far though. A female lead? And she's a minority? Awesome.

Top Bottom