• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassins Creed Liberation HD Coming January 14th - $20

Lime

Some more PC shots:

ac3lhd_322014-01-16110esvk.png

ac3lhd_322014-01-161171s78.png

ac3lhd_322014-01-1610sssnj.png

ac3lhd_322014-01-1611tlska.png

The storytelling is incredibly fragmented and it seems like there's a lot of holes in between story segments/cutscenes.

Dr Dogg

Some more PC shots:

The storytelling is incredibly fragmented and it seems like there's a lot of holes in between story segments/cutscenes.

I did the first sequence last night and there appeared to be holes in between almost every memory. There is still stuff in the database to read up on but that's just poor design asking you to go digging to work out relationships between characters.

From what I understand though there was going to be some rebalancing done to the game so I don't know if that meant cutting large chunks of the narrative out as well.

Bittercup

[...] From what I understand though there was going to be some rebalancing done to the game so I don't know if that meant cutting large chunks of the narrative out as well.
It's like that on the Vita as well. So far as I have played the HD version nothing has been cut from the narrative.

Nemesis_

Wasn't some of the narrative cut out, but also rearranged to make a more sensible and cohesive story? I've read things like that on Twitter but I've yet to actually play the HD version, so I wouldn't know if it's true.

Dr Dogg

It's like that on the Vita as well. So far as I have played the HD version nothing has been cut from the narrative.

Hahahaha oh. Interesting choice seeing as the whole first hour I was trying to tie everyone together. I don't know if there was meant to be any modern world stuff in this that would have explained character relationships a bit more.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Wasn't some of the narrative cut out, but also rearranged to make a more sensible and cohesive story? I've read things like that on Twitter but I've yet to actually play the HD version, so I wouldn't know if it's true.

There's cuts here and there, but if you didn't know they were there you wouldn't even notice, it was that haphazard in the original as well. Probably because they had to fit the story into very little gameplay they had.

Krakn3Dfx

Environments in the game seem super sparse and the textures are pretty nasty at 1080p on my PC. It's clearly a port of a game that was intended to run on a small screen. Having said that, performance is good and it plays like you would expect an Assassin's Creed to play. I'm only maybe 90 minutes into it, and I'll probably finish it.

chemicals

I'm interested in this because I'm from New Orleans... any more PS3/360 impressions?

All I need to know is that it's better than AC3. Anyone?

Roto13

Ok, I was wrong. It seems that the Connor mission is actually just included in the game, and the thing you spend Uplay points on is the ability to play the mission as Connor and not Aveline.

Roto13

doop

q5c4g6P.png

First AC game I've platinumed since II. I normally don't bother because there are usually some optional mission constraints that are unfun bullshit, and there are always multiplayer trophies. The optional constraints in Liberation are totally doable, though.

Working on my review now.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
PC version runs fine, and there is some graphical settings, though not as many as AC4. I'm running it on max settings and it's smooth.

The port itself, is a very mixed bag. Half of it looks ok but there's some things which just look ugly. They've done up some faces, but on the other hand, some are just left to look god awful. That and the LOD is really bad.

Screenshots -

Surprisingly it seems comparable to AssCreed 2 to me, both in terms of asset quality (good) and the poor LOD system (bad). Hopefully the latter is patched, but seeing as Ubi never fixed 2's utterly broken LOD system, I'm hardly holding my breath.

Teddified

doop

q5c4g6P.png

First AC game I've platinumed since II. I normally don't bother because there are usually some optional mission constraints that are unfun bullshit, and there are always multiplayer trophies. The optional constraints in Liberation are totally doable, though.

Nice I'll try for that too, played about 18 hours so far, only on sequence 4. I think I'll go far enough into the story that the Persona collectables unlock. Then go on a collecting spree. When that's done just blast through the rest of the game.

mechphree

Played the demo today, and my god I felt so awkward playing it. I spent roughly half a hour just figuring out where to go until I realized I needed to change personas. The graphics make it look exactly like it's running on ac3 engine (I'm sure of this). I didn't exactly come out impressed though after my demo play through.

Sioen

Okay I'm really liking this game. It's smaller scope helps it stays more focused. And the 20€ price tag makes it even better.

It comes together at the end, especially if you seek out the missing scenes.
What you have to remember is this is the 1st Abstergo AC game, in that you're not playing as Desmond revisiting his ancestors, you're playing a simulation produced by the bad guys of the 1st five games. So you can't trust everything you see and you should question anything that doesn't make sense...coz it's probably been tampered with.

It's all very meta. I've never had a problem with the Animus as much as others, but it's use as a story device in ACL and AC4 is very different from the other games.

Roto13

It comes together at the end, especially if you seek out the missing scenes.
What you have to remember is this is the 1st Abstergo AC game, in that you're not playing as Desmond revisiting his ancestors, you're playing a simulation produced by the bad guys of the 1st five games. So you can't trust everything you see and you should question anything that doesn't make sense...coz it's probably been tampered with.

It's all very meta. I've never had a problem with the Animus as much as others, but it's use as a story device in ACL and AC4 is very different from the other games.

Still, though, Aveline was in Chichen Itza for like two years, and it really doesn't feel like she was gone that long. Like all the AC games, Liberation skips through time a lot without ever being that noticeable if you're not keeping track of the dates that appear on screen.

Carbonox

doop

q5c4g6P.png

That was quick. :lol

I'll definitely Platinum it as well. Will be my 4th AC game Platinum. :D

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
was thinking on pickin this up (in the future when price is even lower) but reviews have been far from convincing. Pass

lucius

So I downloaded the demo after playing the Aveline mission on PS4 which I really enjoyed, sadly this game just does not play as well as that one. I was not expecting as good graphics but the gameplay even seems off. Game does not seem to be running on AC4 engine, guess I should have expected that since this is just the Vita game slightly updated. It's just hard for me to go back to this after playing 30+ hours of AC4. I almost blind bought this game after playing the extra Aveline mission in AC4, I would buy a full game like that day 1, but this game I will pass. I would argue this game does not play as well as AC3 and even Revelations even though the main character is very well done.

Did they keep the terrible grinding trophies from the Vita version? The climb X amount of distance was especially egregious, since even after completing everything else in the game it still left you basically having to bump up against a wall for an hour or so to get it. Never mind the completely broken multiplayer "strategy" game.

Roto13

Did they keep the terrible grinding trophies from the Vita version? The climb X amount of distance was especially egregious, since even after completing everything else in the game it still left you basically having to bump up against a wall for an hour or so to get it. Never mind the completely broken multiplayer "strategy" game.

The only trophy I had to grind for was pickpocketing 5000 ecu and that wasn't a big deal. No trophies for climbing and hanging or anything.

Sober

Still, though, Aveline was in Chichen Itza for like two years, and it really doesn't feel like she was gone that long. Like all the AC games, Liberation skips through time a lot without ever being that noticeable if you're not keeping track of the dates that appear on screen.
That was what kinda pissed me off about AC4, they kinda jumped a lot between sequences without dating them anywhere, either in the opening cinematic or in the sequence menu. That being said I was expecting it but from a game that does it often and likes to date things during the animus flyover scenes in previous games, I was disappointed it got relegated to during dialogue or exposition if any.

I never got into AC but this one has me intrigued because of the protagonist, I really like her design and the idea of playing as a female assassin.

Ceallach

Smells like fresh rosebuds
I picked this up for PC

I'm enjoying the game, but it seems to be running kinda poorly and it crashes ALL THE TIME.

Anyone know any fixes for some of the game's issues?

Teddified

Alright got my plat. Took me about 12 hours, it definitely has the crazy jumping through time thing most AC games have. Most of the optional objectives were ok, but a few were still annoying. I almost wish they used text boxes in parts or something so there could be more story/dialog without having to rely on voice.

Top Bottom