• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassins Creed Liberation HD Coming January 14th - $20

Double D

I bought it on PS4, but could never figure out how to access that DLC.

My problem was that I didn't know there was a code. I finally found it though. If I remember correctly it's actually printed on the backside of the cover of the game. So if you look inside the box itself you can see it.

Any reviews or impressions out yet?

I can tell you that the Vita version wasn't nearly as bad as you'll hear from reading a lot of the comments here. I'll never forgive them for that awful "point your Vita at a source of light" section, though. All-in-all it's a fun game. Obviously it's similar to other AssCreed games, but there's the three persona gimmick that works to change things up a bit. If you like AssCreed, you'll probably like this.

I do, however, wish they had ripped the multiplayer from ACIV and put it in this game also. With cross-compatibility. But that's just me being silly.

Teddified

Maybe they're just not up yet. *shrug*

Not too sure about that since when I look at something like Child of Light it just says Coming soon... on all the rewards/actions.

It probably wasn't just worth it to make things for the rewards.

Oh well, it's not too big of a deal it would just suck to start the game then have actions/rewards come later once I've already past the reward. But then again I suppose I don't really care.

First impressions are fairly negative. Had a character disappear during a cutscene and saw a floating umbrella walk by in the first 5 mins of play. Now i know its an assassin's creed game, so it didn't put me off too much.

However the visuals are very muddy during the initial dream sequence. They seem fairly good during cutscenes. I'm fine with the lower quality models but there seems to be very littleanti-aliasing during gameplay and the framerate still feels weak.

Will post more when further in.

Now the my last experience with an 4 on the PS4 so perhaps this falls closer in line with the AC4 on PS3, however i would be surprised if that was the case.

EDIT: I should clarify the framerate feels much stronger than the vita entry, but sub 30.

Seems to play great on a DS4 so far.

The mini-map and HUD objectives are very laggy and have quite a visual judder to them. Far more noticeable than on the vita. Sound quality seems quite a bit better for voices.

Ridley327

First impressions are fairly negative. Had a character disappear during a cutscene and saw a floating umbrella walk by in the first 5 mins of play. Now i know its an assassin's creed game, so it didn't put me off too much.

However the visuals are very muddy during the initial dream sequence. They seem fairly good during cutscenes. I'm fine with the lower quality models but there seems to be very littleanti-aliasing during gameplay and the framerate still feels weak.

Will post more when further in.

Now the my last experience with an 4 on the PS4 so perhaps this falls closer in line with the AC4 on PS3, however i would be surprised if that was the case.

EDIT: I should clarify the framerate feels much stronger than the vita entry, but sub 30.

Yikes. There's so much less going on in Liberation versus the normal AC title, so that's rather inexcusable that they're having problems in the framerate department on much stronger hardware.

I'm actually very interested in this game. The setting appeals to me greatly--much more than any other AC game has--and playing as a female assassin sounds like it would be awesome.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I'm actually very interested in this game. The setting appeals to me greatly--much more than any other AC game has--and playing as a female assassin sounds like it would be awesome.

Persona system is shit and the story is shit. But the gameplay as far as a portable title was fine. Frame-rate was shit, however so if they fixed that
and didn't fix the broken Whip
it'll be somewhat enjoyable.

And to expand on that: Having to do three different things to remove wanted from THREE different Persona's instead of the series' norm of "three different ways to remove wanted from ONE system" it's terrible. It's micromanaging three things that shouldn't have to be micromanaged.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
One can hope that there's no issues with the PC version, but you can never know with Ubi. At least it's releasing on time with the console versions.

Wow, that's gotta be a first for an Assassin's Creed game.

Roto13

The vita version you mean? And if it is the ps3 version, is it any good?

I mean the PS3 version. Yeah, I haven't run into any of the bugs that were mentioned earlier. The framerate isn't stable, but it's pretty much par for the course for AC games on PS3. Doesn't look as good as ACIV, but it looks ok to me. I haven't played the Vita version. Some NPCs look like they belong in a PS2 game, though. Aveline and the other major characters look fine.

Still has the typical Assassin's Creed jankiness. Accidentally running up walls when you're trying to duck out of sight. Trees are still a pain in the ass to climb sometimes. Etc.

I love AC games and I own a Vita & I never had the urge to play AC games on a handheld. Now I want buy this on the PSN just so I can remote play on my Vita. Am I crazy? :)

Sioen

I mean the PS3 version. Yeah, I haven't run into any of the bugs that were mentioned earlier. The framerate isn't stable, but it's pretty much par for the course for AC games on PS3. Doesn't look as good as ACIV, but it looks ok to me. I haven't played the Vita version. Some NPCs look like they belong in a PS2 game, though. Aveline and the other major characters look fine.

Still has the typical Assassin's Creed jankiness. Accidentally running up walls when you're trying to duck out of sight. Trees are still a pain in the ass to climb sometimes. Etc.
Sounds good enough still waiting for the 360 release. Guess it's tomorrow.

These are the games best strengths, though aren't used anywhere near their full potential. The setting is superb, especially when diving into the slightly more occult and Aveline is easily the most interesting of the lead characters from the series, at least to me.

Zoc

I really loved atmosphere and setting in this game, which was perfectly matched by the dark cello soundtrack. Not great as an actual game, but great as a place to walk around in. I think I played up to a point where I got out of the swamp a second time and had my fill.

Teddified

Played a few hours of the game on PS3, seems alright but there definitely isn't much ambient noise like someone else mentioned.

I do notice some slowdown here and there but I'm not very good at noticing these things accurately. It reminds me of AC3 and it's slowdown though maybe a little better? I honestly can't remember it just seems to be around that level.

I finished the first sequence and did all the viewpoints/chests in New Orleans it seems like a basic AC game, close to AC3 in it's roots though. You can definitely tell the vita origins though with not as much dialog and short missions so far.

I'd say it's worth it if you're into AC and were OK with AC3 since it seems to retain most of the jank from it.

Roto13

I'd say it's worth it if you're into AC and were OK with AC3 since it seems to retain most of the jank from it.

So far I haven't run into any missions that are anywhere near as bad as the bad ones from ACIII, for what that's worth. (Actually, there haven't been any bad missions at all.)

So far I haven't run into any missions that are anywhere near as bad as the bad ones from ACIII, for what that's worth. (Actually, there haven't been any bad missions at all.)

I am very interested to see how they translated the parts where you needed touch to do things, I really hope these parts are better in this version!

Roto13

I am very interested to see how they translated the parts where you needed touch to do things, I really hope these parts are better in this version!

I'm guessing the "chain kill" was a touch ability? In this version, you stop time and just select the enemies to attack with the control stick and the square button.

Zafir

Did anyone else pre-order the pc version from the Ubistore? I wouldn't usually buy from there but it was the cheapest at £10. Eitherway, how do they handle pre-orders, and/or has anyone else got access to it yet? It's still not listed in my games in uplay, nor was I ever given a key to activate it.

Teddified

Same, probably due to the handheld-ness of it most of the tail parts of missions are pretty quick especially compared to AC4.

Hopefully the optional objectives are closer to AC4 then AC3 though.

Aiustis

I will buy it again used this time. Fool me once...Such an interesting game but too buggy to play. Only AC game I enjoyed.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Did anyone else pre-order the pc version from the Ubistore? I wouldn't usually buy from there but it was the cheapest at £10. Eitherway, how do they handle pre-orders, and/or has anyone else got access to it yet? It's still not listed in my games in uplay, nor was I ever given a key to activate it.

I pre-ordered from Steam and the store page says it's not releasing till 1pm est tomorrow.

leng jai

What? Don't be silly, it wasn't great in terms of performance or visuals, but it certainly wasn't unplayable.

I said unplayable for people with standards. I can't imagine too many people would have bothered with this since it ran at 20fps most of the time, had terrible IQ and probably the worst sound quality I've ever heard in a game.

BigDug13

Yikes. There's so much less going on in Liberation versus the normal AC title, so that's rather inexcusable that they're having problems in the framerate department on much stronger hardware.

It's Liberty City Stories and Vice City Stories all over again. Couldn't even match up to the other PS2 GTA games when PS2 got those ports.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Two steps forward one step sideways over one's own ass and right into a bag of flesh-eating spiders.

Anyway, this version definitely runs, looks and sounds better than the Vita release. New Orleans keeps ~30fps, Bayou is a little less for some reason. Character models are the most obvious improvement, textures are all upgraded as well. Animations, geometry and draw distance however seem to be kept as is, so that would explain the framerate improvement.

HOWEVER. Pretty much every scripting bug is retained. You can still drop yourself off into water as Lady and be unable to climb out except in one certain place because Lady can't climb vertically. Also, if you attempt to climb out near an edge you might put yourself into an endless diving loop for no reason. Synchronization points in Bayou are just as finicky as they were and sometimes it doesn't work even though the animation plays. Attacks that hit even though the character model is a meter away are still there. Oh, and there's cut content. They said they'd rebalance some missions, well, I guess their idea of rebalancing is just cutting offending content altogether? Escape sequence during chapter one is just gone, some optional objectives seem to be missing and presumably there's no way to play "Connor's Way" mission. Haven't reached the part where the Vita gimmick puzzle was but I presume it was simply cut entirely.

But I'd still recommend this version over the Vita one.

Finally, it's supposed to have Uplay actions/rewards but they aren't there in the client at all. Come on Ubi, what the hell.

Adding to the shit pile I bought it for £12 on the UK PSN but now it has inexplicably disappeared from my download list as if I never made the purchase, lovely!

I guess I'll need to phone them up. It's up on the EU PSN though if anyone has been waiting.

RankFTW

Unconfirmed Member
SLI bit: 0x020040F5

Works on the menu and I'm just about to start playing so will report back at some point.

Edit: Works like a charm.

Carbonox

Played a few hours of the game on PS3, seems alright but there definitely isn't much ambient noise like someone else mentioned.

I do notice some slowdown here and there but I'm not very good at noticing these things accurately. It reminds me of AC3 and it's slowdown though maybe a little better? I honestly can't remember it just seems to be around that level.

I finished the first sequence and did all the viewpoints/chests in New Orleans it seems like a basic AC game, close to AC3 in it's roots though. You can definitely tell the vita origins though with not as much dialog and short missions so far.

I loved AC3 so I guess I should enjoy this too?

Adding to the shit pile I bought it for £12 on the UK PSN but now it has inexplicably disappeared from my download list as if I never made the purchase, lovely!

I guess I'll need to phone them up. It's up on the EU PSN though if anyone has been waiting.

That doesn't sound great. Any other UK users having issues? I'm going to buy it today I think.

Top Bottom