• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Brotherhood |OT| where my bro's at?

My heart was RACING when I played my first multiplayer match. One of the most intense gaming things I've done.

I had 2 pursuers on me and I must have been sweating bullets.

Dreavus

Uhg, I had one terrible match of Wanted today. Every other player was dicking around on the roofs. Not even running, just chilling up there, all walking; trying not to start chases with each other. Things got stupid really fast and guns and knives can only do so much. In a case like that you basically have to go up with them. I was stuck around 4th-5th with 0-1 pursuers on me, so I couldn't really focus on stuns and expect to keep up. =(

Whichever map it is that has the large square structure in the middle with the "falling hanging platform" chase breakers seems to be terrible for this type of gameplay, can't remember the name of it. Going up on that center structure gives you a huge advantage with coverage of the whole market below and roof-to-roof chase breakers on both sides if you see someone climb up to get you (you can't miss them, since there's obviously no crowds up there).

Only one out of many games though, my other matches were good fun even the ones I didn't do too well in. I was on the receiving end of Decoy for the first few times and it's pretty disorienting, even though your radar still points you in the right direction.

Sorry for the semi-vent. I don't normally complain about people running around on rooftops but this time everyone was up there and it warped the game pretty badly. Gotta think of a strategy for this shit. (or avoid that map, lol)

If you have too many roof runners like every other person, then just switch to Manhunt and play a few games. Then head back to Wanted and you'll get a different set of folks.

farnham

Banned
so i started this game to kill some time before mlg starts

and man the banter between desmond and that chick reminds me of the prince and farah so much

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Ok...in single player, there's currently a memory start icon on the far right of the map but i cant get to it, as the map is blocked off. If i try to go there in the game, there is a big white wall that i cant pass through.

What do i need to do to open this up? I think its Act 4, or right near it that i need to get to.

JeTmAn81

I just got this game for 360, but id rather have it for PS3. Anybody interested in trading, let me know. It is a used copy.

sloppyjoe_gamer said:
Ok...in single player, there's currently a memory start icon on the far right of the map but i cant get to it, as the map is blocked off. If i try to go there in the game, there is a big white wall that i cant pass through.

What do i need to do to open this up? I think its Act 4, or right near it that i need to get to.

It's almost like a bug. I got stuck here too along with others. What you need to do is hit the entrance to the fort at a specific angle so it will trigger a cutscene. If you go through the sides or back it won't work. I don't have exact details but if you google/youtube it you'll find it. It is a very common problem.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
OldJadedGamer said:
It's almost like a bug. I got stuck here too along with others. What you need to do is hit the entrance to the fort at a specific angle so it will trigger a cutscene. If you go through the sides or back it won't work. I don't have exact details but if you google/youtube it you'll find it. It is a very common problem.

Found this at gamefaqs:

"Go to where it says to go for the next Memory Start.

There is one point in this game that gets about 80% of the players: It seems to be blocked by a white wall, but all you have to do is follow the wall until it curves in, giving you access to the memory. Many people get stuck here."

That seems to be it...thanks!!! I'll give it a shot tonite.

Klocker

help?

"in SP... anyone ever have a problem whereby you no longer are able to whistle for your horse?"

is it a glitch or a feature that I do not yet understand Y button on 360 used to do it and still does it when I replay a memory. so I wonder if it's a save error?

Dreavus

Klocker said:
help?

"in SP... anyone ever have a problem whereby you no longer are able to whistle for your horse?"

is it a glitch or a feature that I do not yet understand Y button on 360 used to do it and still does it when I replay a memory. so I wonder if it's a save error?

Have you jumped on a new horse recently? I don't remember seeing the whistle option until I got on a horse for the first time, and then it "saved" that horse for calling later (iirc, if you ride a guards armored horse, that's what will come if you call). Maybe you somehow lost contact with yours? I apologize if you've already tried this, I'm just thinking off the top of my head here...

dk_

Grimm Fandango said:
My heart was RACING when I played my first multiplayer match. One of the most intense gaming things I've done.

I had 2 pursuers on me and I must have been sweating bullets.
Yeah, AC:B has a great mp mode.

Klocker

Dreavus said:
Have you jumped on a new horse recently? I don't remember seeing the whistle option until I got on a horse for the first time, and then it "saved" that horse for calling later (iirc, if you ride a guards armored horse, that's what will come if you call). Maybe you somehow lost contact with yours? I apologize if you've already tried this, I'm just thinking off the top of my head here...

thanks
yes i have stolen horses, gotten them from my stables, etc and I used to be able to call a horse but no matter what I try, he no longer whistles for it. Unless I replay a memory then it works again. I'm guessing my save got jacked up or something

Facism said:
it costs that much brand new in the shops.

I've seen it hover between £17 and £24 on Amazon recently and if like me your fortunate enough to get points with a 20% dicount. It becomes cheaper to get it now before it's released on the classics label in a couple of weeks.

Can someone explain to me how investments, shop quests and stuff work?

For the first image, do I have to sell these specific items at this store to unlock that weapon?

For the second image, I have honestly no idea what is being listed in the green circle and how.

Klocker

Grimm Fandango said:

For the first image, do I have to sell these specific items at this store to unlock that weapon?

For the second image, I have honestly no idea what is being listed in the green circle and how.

yea I'm lost on this as well.... I screwed this up last night. wasn;t thinking and sold a whole bunch of shit! to one merchant including stuff I, evidently, needed for other quests. No way to get it back either

Grimm Fandango said:

*pics*

For the first image I think you just need to have those items in your inventory.

The second image I can't help you with and would like to know the answer.

XeroSauce

The more you invest in the shop (gotta do it 2-3 times usually per shop, and there's also a global reward), the better reward you get. You use those rewards to do "Shop Quests" that are unnecessary but can net you some good weapons.

MjFrancis

I did a ridiculous amount of shop investment and whatnot in Brotherhood. It's been a bit, but I remember doing quite a bit of busywork that didn't even contribute to the 100% completion rate in this game. It was just so addicting. Silly, but addicting; like you were supposed to defeat the Borgia by buying half of Rome and jacking up their rent.

Castor Krieg said:
Is there any particular mode good for quick exp? A lot of useful weapons and perks are at a higher level, so I'm trying to get there asap.

Play Manhunt to get used to the game then go to Wanted for the most points. A hidden and secret poison gets you the most kill points.

Power-leveled to 30 using Chest Capture, now playing Wanted. I noticed turning on DLC results in way longer time finding games, which is a shame, I really wanted to play Pariah.

thefil

Question: The Steam summer sale is coming up, and I feel like this game will get a good sale. I liked AC1 more than AC2 because in AC1 they put all the cutscenes after assassinations; in AC2 you often orchestrate a major kill by sneaking, only to walk up to the villain and trigger a cutscene, leading into a scripted chase and/or assassination.

Does Brotherhood bring back more of the freedom like in AC1, or is it heavily scripted like AC2?

thefil said:
Question: The Steam summer sale is coming up, and I feel like this game will get a good sale. I liked AC1 more than AC2 because in AC1 they put all the cutscenes after assassinations; in AC2 you often orchestrate a major kill by sneaking, only to walk up to the villain and trigger a cutscene, leading into a scripted chase and/or assassination.

Does Brotherhood bring back more of the freedom like in AC1, or is it heavily scripted like AC2?

There are some cutscenes, but most of the time the action starts exactly where you left off before the cutscene. Also, things like that shouldn't make you not buy the game - Brotherhood is a much better experience than AC2 (save for 100% sync requirements, if you are the type of person that goes for that).

thefil

Castor Krieg said:
There are some cutscenes, but most of the time the action starts exactly where you left off before the cutscene. Also, things like that shouldn't make you not buy the game - Brotherhood is a much better experience than AC2 (save for 100% sync requirements, if you are the type of person that goes for that).

I guess. But AC2 was arguably a much better game than AC1 in every way but the one I mention, and in the end the inability to sneak in, kill someone and sneak out in execution of my own plan and not the game designer's was enough to make the game worse overall to me.

I don't doubt the claim that Brotherhood is fantastic, but I have my reasons for being skeptical of my own potential to enjoy it.

rataven

thefil said:
I guess. But AC2 was arguably a much better game than AC1 in every way but the one I mention, and in the end the inability to sneak in, kill someone and sneak out in execution of my own plan and not the game designer's was enough to make the game worse overall to me.

I don't doubt the claim that Brotherhood is fantastic, but I have my reasons for being skeptical of my own potential to enjoy it.
I think you'll dig the Boriga Tower missions in Brotherhood. They harken back to the main assassination missions from AC1, allowing you more control and setup over the assassination itself. I don't recall any cutscenes except for the burning tower animation at the close of the mission, after you've killed the Captain.

thefil said:

I think I know what you mean - AC:B is the same as other games in the series, it's Ubi way to tell the story i.e. if you are supposed to escape after the cutscene you will always end up being chased by the guards, no way to play it silently.

MjFrancis

Congrats! Is that the one where you win in the last few moments of the game? I got that one by happenstance early on, I eschewed the single player and jumped straight into the MP when it first dropped. Lots of noobs and things were very lively and unpredictable then.

MjFrancis said:
Congrats! Is that the one where you win in the last few moments of the game? I got that one by happenstance early on, I eschewed the single player and jumped straight into the MP when it first dropped. Lots of noobs and things were very lively and unpredictable then.

Yeah, it was take the lead in the last 10 minutes one. I waited a bit to jump into MP and then did Manhunt exclusively because I got tired of people killing me when I was trying to kill someone else. The problem with Manhunt which I didn't know is that you level super slow because you don't get the challenges done. I finally switched to Wanted and jumped up like 8 levels in 2 days just from challenges alone. Now I'm 50 and thought I would stop but I still want to play!

Does anyone still play this online? It's always in the Xbl top 10 but I cannot get into a game for love nor money. What's the most popular dlc to have enabled? or do people not even use them?

MjFrancis

I don't know what I do or don't have enabled, but if I'm looking for anything other than a Wanted match, it's going to take some time. There are times of the day where I can't find anything, either, or where the matchmaking becomes so sluggish that I turn off the 360 in disgust. I have a constant love/hate relationship with the online. I miss dedicated servers being an industry standard, because at least then I would have an idea of the futility of trying to play online at any given time at my location.

Klocker

not sure if it is the issue but check your NAT.

this game does not seem to work with anything but an open NAT. Other games in MP often still can find you games with closed or moderate NATS

MjFrancis

They're probably trying to shoot people as they're falling off of a ledge to contribute towards an achievement.

Or they're just assholes.

Take your pick.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
MjFrancis said:
They're probably trying to shoot people as they're falling off of a ledge to contribute towards an achievement.

Or they're just assholes.

Take your pick.

assholes ofcourse

MjFrancis said:
I don't know what I do or don't have enabled, but if I'm looking for anything other than a Wanted match, it's going to take some time. There are times of the day where I can't find anything, either, or where the matchmaking becomes so sluggish that I turn off the 360 in disgust. I have a constant love/hate relationship with the online. I miss dedicated servers being an industry standard, because at least then I would have an idea of the futility of trying to play online at any given time at my location.

Weird, I always play either ranked or regular Wanted and Manhunt and never wait more than a few minutes to get into a game.... ever. I do have the DLC though and don't know if that split the userbase or not.

Rebel Leader said:
i hate people who are high lvl that use guns

Why? A gun is required to catch roof runners and to get first blood. Not only that, it stops people from permastunning in Manhunt games. The gun is very useful.

MjFrancis

Yeah, most level 50's don't just shoot with wanton abandon. Typically they're going for the achievement or they're shooting at an annoying runner.

MjFrancis said:
Yeah, most level 50's don't just shoot with wanton abandon. Typically they're going for the achievement or they're shooting at an annoying runner.

Right, if you are killed with the gun it's for a good reason. Since the kill is only worth 100 points and ruins me from using the gun for a good minute I'm not going to shoot people willy nilly.

Almyn

MikeDub said:
Does anyone still play this online? It's always in the Xbl top 10 but I cannot get into a game for love nor money. What's the most popular dlc to have enabled? or do people not even use them?

I was wondering the same thing myself. I've tried a few times to get a game, But have never had any luck. I've mostly been trying early evening UK time. When you look at the leaderboard a lot of the people in the top 20 are online playing brotherhood, So people are playing.

Talking of leaderboards actually. I can't remember the exact number but I noticed the top ranking players have 30+ days of playtime? wtf? It just seemed insanely high to me. I don't think I've even put that amount of time into wow over the years, And I put a lot of time into wow.

anddo0

Question about "The Da Vinci Disappearance". When is the best time to play it?

I stumbled upon it earlier than I thought it would be available. Watched the first cut-scene. However, it didn't make much sense story wise. Should I wait for post game to do this?

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
anddo0 said:
Question about "The Da Vinci Disappearance". When is the best time to play it?

I stumbled upon it earlier than I thought it would be available. Watched the first cut-scene. However, it didn't make much sense story wise. Should I wait for post game to do this?
Play it after finishing the main story completely.

Jeels

I would have platinum'd this game if they had not shoved multiplayer trophies in. :)\ )

Anyway, why is there not a huge Revelations thread yet?

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I'm about 15+ hours in and starting to lose interest. I love the visuals and the OST, and I appreciate all of the content packed into the game, but it can be so damn boring. I feel like I'm just holding down a shoulder button as Italian Spiderman does all the heavy lifting for me. I've haven't upgraded my armor and I've avoided even repairing it, but it's still absurdly easy.

This was an issue in AC1 & AC2, but it's even more apparent now that you have kill streaks and fellow assassin's to summon. I'm not even saying the game needs to be hard, but some resistance is necessarily for me to feel some sense of satisfaction. It's all style and no substance.

It doesn't help that the missions, aside from the cool crypt stuff, are kind of lame. They usually consist of hauling ass from a to b then effortlessly wiping a few dudes out to win. I go out of my way to make it more challenging, like forcing myself to only use the poison blade, but it's not enough.

Oh well, it's still good for something to chill out to. I highly doubt that I'll have any interest in Revelations, though, unless they decide to overhaul the core mechanics (yeah right).

ajf009

Snuggler said:
I'm about 15+ hours in and starting to lose interest. I love the visuals and the OST, and I appreciate all of the content packed into the game, but it can be so damn boring. I feel like I'm just holding down a shoulder button as Italian Spiderman does all the heavy lifting for me. I've haven't upgraded my armor and I've avoided even repairing it, but it's still absurdly easy.

I thought this too, the execution streaks just make it too damn easy, although they look sick haha. If they brought it back to AC:1 and 2 where you had to wear down stronger opponents before being able to kill them with a counter then it would be a better game. I love the way the killstreak looks but it just takes all the challenge out of it

I don't know what they can do to make the climbing more difficult, maybe just not make a clear path to the top of every building, I know they did this with Borgia Towers, they should expand it. But from what Revalations shows the grappling hook is going to make climbing and fighting that much easier.

I basically just stuck with the game for the story haha

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
ajf009 said:
I thought this too, the execution streaks just make it too damn easy, although they look sick haha. If they brought it back to AC:1 and 2 where you had to wear down stronger opponents before being able to kill them with a counter then it would be a better game. I love the way the killstreak looks but it just takes all the challenge out of it

Yeah, and it really comes down to two issues:

1. How insanely easy it is to counter, block and avoid attacks. Enemies telegraph their attacks very slowly, and the window of opportunity to counter is big, so you'd have to be barely paying attention to even get hit in the first place.

2. The abundance of hit points, which is a big problem since it's so easy to avoid taking damage. You start out with like 5 or 6 squares of health, which means that you could fuck up several times before even being in danger of dying in combat.

So basically, it's hard to get hit, and getting hit doesn't mean shit. Ideally, as an Assassin, you would have to rely on agility and craftiness instead of simply being an unstoppable killing machine that can withstand more damage than a tank. Ubisoft should at least pander to people like me and offer a hard mode where you only have a couple blocks of health.

Top Bottom