• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Brotherhood |OT| where my bro's at?

sneaky77

So I ran onto a weird bug, I went into a Borgia area, and killed the captain but 1 second later I died so memory disynchronized. The issue is that now when I go back to that area, the captain is nowhere to be found, but it won't let me burn the tower down either.. anyone has run into this?

sneaky77 said:
So I ran onto a weird bug, I went into a Borgia area, and killed the captain but 1 second later I died so memory disynchronized. The issue is that now when I go back to that area, the captain is nowhere to be found, but it won't let me burn the tower down either.. anyone has run into this?

If you fail a borgia tower mission, the captain 'goes into hiding' for a short while. Essentially, the mission is on a reset timer if you fail.

UrbanRats

Maleficence said:
I'm trying to play the game on PC with a joypad but it doesn't seem to recognise it. Can anyone help?
Is it a 360 pad? I had to actively go in the option and activate it, and even then, sometimes i have to boot the game a bunch of times, before it recognize it.

shaowebb

I'm just gonna drop one big theory here so I can quote it when something along those lines happens.

Prepare for a wall of black since this is backed by tons of spoilers.

In Assassin's Creed 1 Altair cannot bring himself to destroy the apple because its power is so incredible that he sees it as almost a holy thing like God.

In Assassin's Creed 2 we find that Altair made the Assassin's more and more ruthless and powerful once he took over and OBSESSIVELY studied the apple to learn secrets. He learned many technologies and near the end of his notes it only once mentions this but its there...Altair, as he grows old, begins to fear death and is suspecting the apple may have a secret to protect him from it.

My theory is this. Altair is still alive and I believe he will most likely be the villain towards the finale of the Assassin's Creed series for Desmond to face. Desmond has no huge figure to aim for like Ezio did so even though he has Minerva Towers to track down and a worldwide conglomerate and a Celestial travesty to avert...well...he doesn't have a figurehead to fight. He lacks a villain to stop since all his enemies are really just faceless cogs in a bigger picture, and a series like this has to have a MAJORLY established badass setup for your final fight. Anything less would feel weak. Altair definitely qualifies and it allows for the whole Altair vs Ezio thing to play out in game to a degree due to the possibilities this opens up for moments where Desmond (who was Ezio FAR more than he was Altair) to lose himself to Ezio's persona during the fight to play that out. That last part is sheer speculation on best ways to play out such a fight, but it would appeal strongly to fans to have these moments even though by this point Desmond is fully capable and likely to be cemented to the fans enough to want him to fight Altair himself.

I think Ezio and Altair vs Desmond would push it too much since Ezio , though he got bitter as he got older, stayed a man of the people and wouldn't fit the role of villain properly or believably. Unless something happens before the ending of Brotherhood that foreshadows a similar shifting of the character I think its safe to rule Ezio out of any final confrontation towards the series finale.

Mainly, I think Altair will have become consumed by his obsession with the power of the Pieces of Eden and in this state lost himself to them and is more than a little power mad and/or slightly sociopathic by this point. Considering all he's been through and seen by Desmond's era he may wish to see the world end...or find a way to die himself after finding a way to become nigh immortal. Its hinted such qualities exist for the apple since we all pretty much slaughtered the Pope in Assassin's Creed 2 several times and he kept getting back up and lived.

On another note in Assassin's Creed 2 Desmond has a flash of Altair conceiving a child...at which point he is NO LONGER ABLE TO RECALL ALTAIR"S LIFE. You see the moment the child is conceived he starts to be the child's memories and cannot tell what happens to Altair. Why was this here? To solidify my point.

How can you have the genetic memories of someone who hasn't died yet? How can you remember something that happened to someone else after you were born? YOU CANT. The Animus can only allow you to recall something in a person's life up until the point that they conceive your next ancestor. Anything they did up until the moment is encoded within their DNA, but nothing after that could possibly be encoded. This means that Desmond cannot know about Altair being alive...the purpose of that flashback was to add weight to this revelation later on that Altair is alive and that no one will be able to use the Animus to know what he's been up to.

Thats the theory. Altair vs Desmond is the Finale. Specifics may vary...Altair may be alive and running the Assassins or maybe the templars or maybe neither, but I feel he is the finale for the series. Altair vs Desmond.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
The theory that Altair is still alive is one of those things that might just be crazy enough to be true.

But why would it be Altair vs Desmond? Why would two Assassins fight each other?

shaowebb

ZealousD said:
The theory that Altair is still alive is one of those things that might just be crazy enough to be true.

But why would it be Altair vs Desmond? Why would two Assassins fight each other?

Any number of reasons.

Altair could simply be wishing to stay alive and by using the Pieces of Eden to avert the travesty they may be eliminated thus ending his immortality. If the world ended he would still live if they weren't used up so what would he care what happens to the Earth if hes been alone and mad all these years already anyways? He may have already developed the whole last man on Earth syndrome from seclusion and rejects the world enough to only care about his own existence given his descent towards sociopathicness from his letters.

Altair may still obsessively covet the Pieces of Eden and want them for himself again and has been watching the two organizations play off each other for decades in waiting to steal them and a fight breaks out over them.

Altair may not believe in the upcoming event that threatens the world and merely wishes to seize power...

The list goes on and on how they could write this up, but they all fit. No matter how you write it...this works on all levels and is a payoff.

It just stands to reason.

wetwired

Snuggler said:
Yeah, and it really comes down to two issues:

1. How insanely easy it is to counter, block and avoid attacks. Enemies telegraph their attacks very slowly, and the window of opportunity to counter is big, so you'd have to be barely paying attention to even get hit in the first place.

2. The abundance of hit points, which is a big problem since it's so easy to avoid taking damage. You start out with like 5 or 6 squares of health, which means that you could fuck up several times before even being in danger of dying in combat.

So basically, it's hard to get hit, and getting hit doesn't mean shit. Ideally, as an Assassin, you would have to rely on agility and craftiness instead of simply being an unstoppable killing machine that can withstand more damage than a tank. Ubisoft should at least pander to people like me and offer a hard mode where you only have a couple blocks of health.

A few times I've wanted to die to restart at a checkpoint, I stood there for a a good 3 minutes while they wailed on me with 0 squares left the entire time before I died. It's a bit stupid that it's THAT hard to die.

Meier

Finally getting around to this and loving it as much as the first 2. I still feel like the combat is kind of annoying though. It feels ridiculous to me that the only realistic way to kill enemies once in close combat is to counterattack them. You figure after all this time he'd be slightly more adept at actually overpowering the guards. Having to wait and counter can make it a bit repetitive and needlessly difficult at times when there is a huge group.

I also had a pretty annoying encounter where I went through a LOT of work to find a Borgia guard under his keep and stepped out and shot him with a crossbow and then ran after and clearly nailed him multiple times but he didn't die. What's with that? It seems a bit absurd to me that they're unaffected by a bolt to the back. By the the time I'd swapped to my hidden blade to try and kill him that way he'd run up the various ramps/stairs and got to safety. I wanted to throw my damn controller.

IsayFever

Meier said:
Finally getting around to this and loving it as much as the first 2. I still feel like the combat is kind of annoying though. It feels ridiculous to me that it remains absolutely critical to counterattack to actually kill guys. You figure after all this time he'd be a little bit better at overpowering the guards.

I also had a pretty annoying encounter where I went through a LOT of work to find a Borgia guard under his keep and stepped out and shot him with a crossbow and then ran after and clearly nailed him multiple times but he didn't die. What's with that? It seems a bit absurd to me that they're unaffected by a bolt to the back. By the the time I'd swapped to my hidden blade to try and kill him that way he'd run up the various ramps/stairs and got to safety. I wanted to throw my damn controller.

Borgia captains have massive health pools when you hit them with something other than the hidden blade. Best to arrow storm their faces in

Meier

IsayFever said:
Borgia captains have massive health pools when you hit them with something other than the hidden blade. Best to arrow storm their faces in
Yeah, I don't have that ability yet.. pretty early on still (just got the whore out of the castle) so getting to a 5 difficulty captain was not easy. :mad:

An-Det

I finished Brotherhood last night, and goddamn what a great game. I'm going to take care of some of the extra stuff remaining and then jump into the multiplayer. I havent tried it before, so I'm curious to finally experience it.

Fjordson

I''m watching the credits roll right now. Amazing game, but what the flying fuck at the ending. I need to read up on Wikipedia or something because I'm pretty lost when it comes to the over-arching plot with Desmond.

Still, I'm so incredibly excited about Revelations now.

An-Det said:
I finished Brotherhood last night, and goddamn what a great game. I'm going to take care of some of the extra stuff remaining and then jump into the multiplayer. I havent tried it before, so I'm curious to finally experience it.

I loved the SP so much and decided to play an hour or so of the MP before trading it back in... now I'm level 50 and I keep playing.

hank_tree

9 time out of ten when playing multiplayer I get disconnected before the end of the match. Is this a known issue? I pretty sure it's not my internet connection because I get the same issue in my girlfriends house and I never have had any trouble with any other online games.

It's really frustrating as you lose all the xp etc. from a match when you get disconnected.

Edit: I'm playing on 360.

hank_tree said:
9 time out of ten when playing multiplayer I get disconnected before the end of the match. Is this a known issue? I pretty sure it's not my internet connection because I get the same issue in my girlfriends house and I never have had any trouble with any other online games.

It's really frustrating as you lose all the xp etc. from a match when you get disconnected.

Ive put upwards of 60 hours into MP and never had that problem, also on 360.

hank_tree said:

I know what you're talking about. Says there is a network error or the network is down. I would get that maybe 1 out of every 25 matches I played.

hank_tree

OldJadedGamer said:
I know what you're talking about. Says there is a network error or the network is down. I would get that maybe 1 out of every 25 matches I played.

For me it's the opposite. It's easily the majority of my matches. I tried playing for 3 hours at the weekend and only finished one match.

hank_tree

OldJadedGamer said:
What is your network type? Strict, Moderate, or Open?

Oh it's open. I've actually tried it in a friends house and my girlfriends aswell and had the same issue so I don't think it's a network thing.

hank_tree said:
Oh it's open. I've actually tried it in a friends house and my girlfriends aswell and had the same issue so I don't think it's a network thing.

I play *A LOT* and don't get it that often. If you feel it's not a network problem on your end, maybe your DLC is corrupted. You should try to redownload the updates again.

wetwired

So I just finished ASSBRO, is there any way to get back into rome to collect any remaining flags etc after completing it? I skipped the credits and went back to the main menu to do so but the save game just takes be back the the ending part.

hank_tree

OldJadedGamer said:
I play *A LOT* and don't get it that often. If you feel it's not a network problem on your end, maybe your DLC is corrupted. You should try to redownload the updates again.

Cheers man. Yeah it must be a network thing aright but I just have no idea what and why it only seems to affect this game. Ah well.

Meier

Finally unlocked the Assassin's yesterday (had been doing a lot of side quests) and I am absolutely hooked on sending them on missions. If they fail, do they automatically die? I have only sent them on missions that are 92% and up so far so it's been smooth sailing but I'm curious what happens if they fail. If they did die, can I replace them?

Finally used that Arrow Storm (or whatever) and killed a Borgia captain who was hiding with it.. so cool.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Meier said:
Finally unlocked the Assassin's yesterday (had been doing a lot of side quests) and I am absolutely hooked on sending them on missions. If they fail, do they automatically die? I have only sent them on missions that are 92% and up so far so it's been smooth sailing but I'm curious what happens if they fail. If they did die, can I replace them?

Finally used that Arrow Storm (or whatever) and killed a Borgia captain who was hiding with it.. so cool.
You can always recruit more Assassin's if you lose one, but you have to start leveling them all over again which sucks.

EasyMode

wetwired said:
So I just finished ASSBRO, is there any way to get back into rome to collect any remaining flags etc after completing it? I skipped the credits and went back to the main menu to do so but the save game just takes be back the the ending part.
I finished the game last night and I don't blame you for skipping the credits... holy shit it seemed to go on for 10+ minutes. But here's the bad news: the game makes a save after the credits finish and then your free to run around Rome again. So it sounds like you'll have to sit through those credits because I couldn't find a way to skip them.

MjFrancis

Stallion Free said:
You can always recruit more Assassin's if you lose one, but you have to start leveling them all over again which sucks.
That's why I just sent everyone on missions where their odds were 100%. Took all the fun out of it but everyone lived! Not like the menus and button prompts that made up the assassin leveling was a blast - thus, I hope this is improved and expanded upon with the next AC release.

Tailzo

Ok, I'm afraid I've found a nasty bug. I am told to visit the pigeon coop to send my assasins on contracts. But I've sent all of them several times, and they've returned safely. It still asks me to do the same thing.

What can I do?

UrbanRats

MjFrancis said:
That's why I just sent everyone on missions where their odds were 100%. Took all the fun out of it but everyone lived! Not like the menus and button prompts that made up the assassin leveling was a blast - thus, I hope this is improved and expanded upon with the next AC release.
As long as the rate of success is above 75%, there are no problems.

Tailzo

Tailzo said:
Ok, I'm afraid I've found a nasty bug. I am told to visit the pigeon coop to send my assasins on contracts. But I've sent all of them several times, and they've returned safely. It still asks me to do the same thing.

What can I do?
turning the ps3 on / off worked. I was stressed for a moment...

Something I've never been able to figure out, do the contracts you send your assassin's out on, do they ever run out, or do they just keep randomly generating endlessly?

UrbanRats

Die Squirrel Die said:
Something I've never been able to figure out, do the contracts you send your assassin's out on, do they ever run out, or do they just keep randomly generating endlessly?
The second one.

Ranger X

Tailzo said:

What can I do?

Did you just kill some guy at the foot of some ruins after chasing him?
If yes, it's the mission asking you to send Fedayeens on contracts and you absolutely need to use the pigeon coop that is nearby the place you killed the guy.

Superimposer

This is getting weirder all the time
How does this game run on mid to low PCs? Debating whether to get this for 360 or PC. I have a very humble laptop but it does technically meet the minimum requirements.

Liquid_015

Gold Member
Where in the world do you get the "Shrunken Head" items to craft the last set of armor chest piece?

As of now, I got one from a chest somewhere on a hill in the Antico District; and from what I was told another "Shrunken Head" was in one of the Romulus Lairs (which I cannot go back because I already went through all of the Lairs). So GAFfers, where in the hell do I find the second Shrunken head? I already bought the treasure maps....

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Liquid_015 said:
Where in the world do you get the "Shrunken Head" items to craft the last set of armor chest piece?

As of now, I got one from a chest somewhere on a hill in the Antico District; and from what I was told another "Shrunken Head" was in one of the Romulus Lairs (which I cannot go back because I already went through all of the Lairs). So GAFfers, where in the hell do I find the second Shrunken head? I already bought the treasure maps....
I think you can get shrunken heads by some manner of investing in stores. It might of been the medical ones.

Liquid_015 said:

You can go back to the Lair by replaying its DNA sequence.

The head is located in "The Sixth Day" or "Palazzo Laterano". Follow this vdieo to find it.

Not sure but I think you must finish the Lair in order to keep the head.

After playing The Witcher 2, getting back into Bro's fighting system is tough. The sword play is just weird now. I'm sure by tomorrow I'll be fine with it, but its hard for me right now.

Curufinwe

I just noticed tonight there is a free Xbox Live Gold weekend going on, so I started playing the ACB multiplayer for the first time and I managed to get the Fast Learner and Job skills Achievements on my first real kill.

I would have got the Needle in a Haystack Achievement as well since I made the kill from inside a hay bale, except I already got that playing the Introductory Session.

Lesiroth

Apologies for bumping this, but I'm still a junior so I can't make a new thread.

I just finished Assassin's Creed 2 last week, and I want to go on with Brotherhood. However, I would like to ask..

My friend already has the game, so I could just borrow it and play through the campaign(as it is the main attraction for me), and return it to him when I'm done. That would however stop me from getting any multiplayer action. I wouldn't mind getting a copy for myself, but first I'd need to justify the multiplayer.

So I'm wondering:

- Is the multiplayer worth it? Does it feel tacked on?

- I will be playing on PC, so is the multiplayer deserted there or is it still lively?

- Are the additions on the Deluxe Edition(two extra classes and a map IIRC) worth the extra price?

Also, is the game much shorter than AC2? Has the PC port improved over last time?

Sorry for the obsessive amount of questions, but I'd like to know the full story before going ahead with anything ^_^;

Riposte

The Big Rig said:
After playing The Witcher 2, getting back into Bro's fighting system is tough. The sword play is just weird now. I'm sure by tomorrow I'll be fine with it, but its hard for me right now.

Really? I mean... there really is nothing to it.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
shaowebb said:
Any number of reasons.

Altair could simply be wishing to stay alive and by using the Pieces of Eden to avert the travesty they may be eliminated thus ending his immortality. If the world ended he would still live if they weren't used up so what would he care what happens to the Earth if hes been alone and mad all these years already anyways? He may have already developed the whole last man on Earth syndrome from seclusion and rejects the world enough to only care about his own existence given his descent towards sociopathicness from his letters.

Altair may still obsessively covet the Pieces of Eden and want them for himself again and has been watching the two organizations play off each other for decades in waiting to steal them and a fight breaks out over them.

Altair may not believe in the upcoming event that threatens the world and merely wishes to seize power...

The list goes on and on how they could write this up, but they all fit. No matter how you write it...this works on all levels and is a payoff.

It just stands to reason.

I don't think that Altair wants to live forever, unless he was lying in the Codex. He stopped studying the Apple because he was afraid of any other power he would discover from or that he would grow way too strong for his own good, right?

Lesiroth

Reading through the last few pages, it does seem that there are some people who can't find a match, and console ports to PC usually lose their online player base pretty quick. I just want to know if the game is populated enough to jump in.

Tetraeon

I love this game. The AC series has a knack for making me want to collect every damn thing I see. I haven't decided if that's more of a good thing or just a pointless timesink.

Hold on, I think I see another treasure chest with another useless sum of money. I've already got like a billion florins. Guess I could use more.

Top Bottom