• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Mirage | Review Thread

What Scores do you think Assasin's Creed Mirage will get?

• 60-65%

Votes: 3 1.2%
  • 65-70%

Votes: 2 0.8%
  • 70-75%

Votes: 20 7.8%
  • 75-80%

Votes: 75 29.1%
  • 80-85%

Votes: 121 46.9%
  • 85-90%

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • 90-95%

Votes: 4 1.6%
  • 95-100%

Votes: 3 1.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
First open world Star Wars ever right? Excluding the MMOs of course. That will be a big selling point. Plus it’s an Ubisoft game so you know what to expect for your money.
I believe it is yes. The engine looks slick and smooth as butter. The combat seems meaty too. I just hope the world feels balanced with content and not too bloated but not too empty either. Mirage does a good job at keeping it balanced, but it's also a much smaller world map than previous titles were.

graywolf323

#advert :messenger_tears_of_joy:

But yeah, GAF is quite a chill community :p

Anyway, there's tons of lurkers indeed lol.
F0rneus F0rneus is an astroturfer for GAF!

Burnie Burns Conspiracy GIF by Rooster Teeth

Sleepwalker

It is indeed a fun game, just ignore the shit melee combat and play it how it's meant to be played via stealth. The exploration of the murder cases and stealth is where this game shines the most.b

I'm not fond of the RPG AC games combat anyway, an assassin is meant to kill with one blow and not brute force past 100 mobs, this kind of gameplay seems right up my alley.

Last edited:

Bojji

I mean. It's going to be 4 years since AC Valhalla have come out when AC Red releases. And Mirage is a seperate mini thing that came out 3 years after AC Valhalla. I don't see the issue here.

What about the 7 Gran Turismos that Sony released? Or the 8 God of War titles including 1, 2, 3 ascension, 2 psp games and the 2 new modern era titles? Should they focus on quality too?

Aren't we at like Call of Duty 20+ nowadays? This whole "franchise fatigue" excuse is starting to get old. Everyone is doing it when a franchise sells well.

Time to go knock at Nintendo HQs and tell them to stop making Zelda and Mario games. Those have been around the 80s. Good luck with that though, let me know what Nintendo tells you.

People act like Ubisoft is the only developer or publisher that keeps making sequels. Its almost like some sort of a weird curse or they are just being treated as a red headed step child. But it's ok when everyone else does it. Lol, absolutely ridiculous.

We had 7 GT game (plus sports) in time frame: 1995 - 2022, that's 27 years for 8 games.

We have 13 main AC games in time frame 2007-2023, 13 games in 16 years.

That's quite the difference.

Bkdk

Typical AC series score, but I'm sure ubisoft expected more as they waited awhile before releasing this next installment to hope get a better impression from reviewers and eventually gamers. With recession here gamers will be even more selective than ever as well so not looking good for the game. More trouble and layoffs likely in ubisoft.

We had 7 GT game (plus sports) in time frame: 1995 - 2022, that's 27 years for 8 games.

We have 13 main AC games in time frame 2007-2023, 13 games in 16 years.

That's quite the difference.
I get what you are saying, but how many call of duty games did we have since it's inception? There is a CoD game every single year. We had 12 CoD games release since 2010 with a 13th coming up this next month. CoD was releasing yearly since the early 2000s. We are very close to 30 Call of Duty Games.

Call of Duty came out in 2003. Then CoD 2 in 2005 and 2006 was CoD 3. They started relessing yearly from the yesr 2005. And these are mainline titles not including any of the some odd spin offs in between.

My point is that every publisher releases countless sequels. Ubisoft is not an exception lol.

Last edited:

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Come on man, you know this is how games are played these days. Nobody actually plays the games themselves they wait for someone to tell them what to play, how to play and when to play because apparently everyone under the age of 30 has a mental illness and can’t get through life without an influencer telling them how to live…

Or they watch a LetsPlay or streamer do the playing for them and then walk away smelling their own shit thinking they have a PhD in the entire experience

Bojji

I get what you are saying, but how many call of duty games did we have since it's inception? There is a CoD game every single year. We had 12 CoD games release since 2010 with a 13th coming up this next month. CoD was releasing yearly since the early 2000s. We are very close to 30 Call of Duty Games.

My point is that every publisher releases countless sequels. Ubisoft is not an exception lol.

Yeah but difference is COD is mainly multiplayer series, single player is an afterthought and looks like MP folks will play anything named "COD". AC is SP (mostly) and they are clearly sacrificing quality by making this many projects and spreading their development thin. AC was strong 9/10 series at some point, now it's around 7.5/10.

Last edited:
Yeah but difference is COD is mainly multiplayer series, single player is an afterthought and looks like MP folks will play anything named "COD". AC is SP (mostly) and they are clearly sacrificing quality by making this many projects and spreading their development thin. AC was strong 9/10 series at some point, now it's around 7.5/10.
7.5 vs 9.0 is not a very big difference. We gave the game an 8 and the franchise right now is going through a transitional period over to the next gen consoles. Also, Mirage is not your true mainline title either, it is a filler game that was a former expansion.

The real judgement day will be the day when we see how AC Red and AC Hexe performs as those are going to be built from the ground up on a completely new foundation of new generation console hardware.

4 years of release dates difference for a mainline titles is actually a huge gap for a Ubisoft game. They never waited 4 years before to release the next big entry. So let's wait and see how it plays out. So if anything, they are actually focusing on quality nowadays rather than quantity. Otherwise, we'd have 4 new AC games by now if they kept following the same release schedule trend that they did during the PS4/X1 generation.

Also, there are people who actually buy CoD only for the campaign and never touch the multiplayer and vice versa. CoD has both audience niches. If they stopped doing 1 or the other, they would lose a ton of sales.

Last edited:

nemiroff

Gold Member
Hmm, I'm getting pretty good with my review score predictions lately..

Anyway, this is not a bad score but it's still far from good enough to give enough shits to play another AC game.

Already preordered my physical copy so I'm pretty hyped about AC Mirage lol.

As for my metacritic prediction, I'll go with mid 80s on this one; I would not be surprised if it scores a bit higher than that though.
Good for you! I sincerely miss being able to feel that for an AC game.

I loved the series with a passion way back when, but they started losing me around the time of Rogue, and even if I loved Origins (such a good game), Odyssey remains the only title I can openly say I hate and Valhalla I just couldn't care less about.

I really hope Mirage does well, though, and that Ubisoft keeps making smaller-scale AC games I can feel hyped about once again.

Good for you! I sincerely miss being able to feel that for an AC game.

I loved the series with a passion way back when, but they started losing me around the time of Rogue, and even if I loved Origins (such a good game), Odyssey remains the only title I can openly say I hate and Valhalla I just couldn't care less about.

I really hope Mirage does well, though, and that Ubisoft keeps making smaller-scale AC games I can feel hyped about once again.
I believe AC Red is an Open World RPG entry based of what's been circulating around. Not sure if they are taking any queues from Mirage.

Sleepwalker

I am meh on Origins, loved Odyssey (after coming back 2 years later after initially hating it) and hate valhalla.

Love the Ezio trilogy and black flag. Keeping my preorder for this, it's decided.

Last edited:

Eiknarf

Banned
Im not much of an RPG fan. I prefer games like TLOU and Miles Morales and Callisto Protocol and Dead Space etc So this seems more suited for me

I’ll buy this next week IF someone can let me know if the PS5 version utilizes Haptic Feedback and Adaptive Trigger Effects on the Dualsense? I dig that. Makes shit feel next-gen.

Last edited:
The gameplay might interest me but honestly for a return to form I was expecting a big wow factor on the graphics and crowds department. Unity is still king and that's sad. bake in the lighting if you need to idgaf.

King Dazzar

So on XSX and PS5 its got the same quick pan up and down screen tear that AC Valhalla had on launch. Which is a little annoying as you'd hope subsequent games would fix previous issues. XSX used to be able to fix that by bizarrely enabling 120hz mode in AC Valhalla, but still running it at 60fps. Its obviously an engine quirk. But with Mirage, the XSX has some drops that the PS5 doesnt from the first comparison I've seen. All that said. I'm up for this, but only once its on sale - I dont see this holding its launch value long at all.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
The gameplay might interest me but honestly for a return to form I was expecting a big wow factor on the graphics and crowds department. Unity is still king and that's sad. bake in the lighting if you need to idgaf.
Unity is one of those weird cases where a game looked next-gen during it's own gen. It's like OG Resident Evil 4 back then.

shubik

Usually I would get this tomorrow. But I still have to finish phantom liberty. And then I have to continue with baldurs gate until Spider-Man drops. The amount of good games is insane and we are still not done. What a year…

I’m also sure it will go on sale pretty quick. Good way to save some money.

MacReady13

Kinda Funny said despite having Spider-Man 2 on hand they didn't want to stop playing Mirage.
Interesting.....
Fuck what those clowns say anyway. I'm excited to play Assassins but I personally take zero interest in anything those back stabbers say.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: TGO

SCB3

You could subscribe to Ubi+ for a month, play the game and unsub.

Would cost you 15 bucks tops.
Literally what I'm doing with most Ubi games now, I'm done with them after a week or so anyway, AC Valhalla being the exception that took me close to a year

Chuck Berry

Gold Member

Syndicate doesnt get enough love. I found that game to be one of the prettier entries and one of the lead designers directed Saints Row 3, hence the over the top mass beatings you could give people with that damn bladed cane :messenger_grinning_squinting:

R6Rider

Gold Member
Syndicate doesnt get enough love. I found that game to be one of the prettier entries and one of the lead designers directed Saints Row 3, hence the over the top mass beatings you could give people with that damn bladed cane :messenger_grinning_squinting:
When all you want to do is kill a guy and Evie decides 100 stabs is more efficient.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
When all you want to do is kill a guy and Evie decides 100 stabs is more efficient.

Dude seriously some of the kills you do to people in that game can be downright hilarious. And its all animated so well lol

Evie does 15 stabs to a guy between the chest and gut AFTER she clubs him over the head twice and uppercuts him with the steel end of a cane.

Im assuming youll be able to switch between Peter and Miles on the fly in SM2 very much like you could between Jacob and Evie.

Last edited:

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
I also always wanted a Victorian London AC with Jack the Ripper involved and I got it! But yeah Syndicate is my 2nd favorite classic style AC only behind II. It was super fun, gorgeous and Evie is such a queen!

simpatico

Xsjzkyy.png

Good job Ubi. You didn't even try. They somehow made their ice cold UbiHUD even worse with the big blocks around the useful bits. I swear that type of HUD is better served in a sim racer or an FPS game. Very clinical. I bet the designer is really proud of it and feels like he's pushing the boundaries of minimalism and cleanness. In reality, it's just lifeless and drab.

wxsNBBD.png

Last edited:

Flabagast

Xsjzkyy.png

Good job Ubi. You didn't even try. They somehow made their ice cold UbiHUD even worse with the big blocks around the useful bits. I swear that type of HUD is better served in a sim racer or an FPS game. Very clinical. I bet the designer is really proud of it and feels like he's pushing the boundaries of minimalism and cleanness. In reality, it's just lifeless and drab.

wxsNBBD.png
Since
Xsjzkyy.png

wxsNBBD.png
since there is no level anymore I am wondering if the game is viable by removing UI markers at the maximum. Any input from some reviewers on that point ?

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
I also always wanted a Victorian London AC with Jack the Ripper involved and I got it! But yeah Syndicate is my 2nd favorite classic style AC only behind II. It was super fun, gorgeous and Evie is such a queen!

Yup! Back when female protags were still allowed to be attractive and likable lol

Dude seriously some of the kills you do to people in that game can be downright hilarious. And its all animated so well lol

Evie does 15 stabs to a guy between the chest and gut AFTER she clubs him over the head twice and uppercuts him with the steel end of a cane.

Im assuming youll be able to switch between Peter and Miles on the fly in SM2 very much like you could between Jacob and Evie.

fuck yeah, the multikill you get with the cane is peak ac combat. They need to bring back that style for the next big ac.

Lokaum D+

the last ubisoft game that i bought was Black Flag, keep the good work Ubi, that way i can continue to spend my money on games that are actually good while skiping all of your shit.

Last edited:

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Well I caved. A “bargain” Ass Creed and they brought back throwing knives which were hands down the funnest fucking weapon to use in the first and second games. To see those bodies flop over and roll off rooftops after a knife to the dome never got tiring. Also real curious about the way it’s supposed to control. Supposedly it feels different and for the better? We’ll see. I don’t give a flying fuck about the story except that it goes the typical AC batshit at the end so I’m in for that too.

Give me more aliens and punching popes in the face is what I’m saying.

Top Bottom