• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Mirage | Review Thread

What Scores do you think Assasin's Creed Mirage will get?

• 60-65%

Votes: 3 1.2%
  • 65-70%

Votes: 2 0.8%
  • 70-75%

Votes: 20 7.8%
  • 75-80%

Votes: 75 29.1%
  • 80-85%

Votes: 121 46.9%
  • 85-90%

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • 90-95%

Votes: 4 1.6%
  • 95-100%

Votes: 3 1.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
This is confirmed 4k 60 locked on ps5 right ? I may pick it up even though I wasn’t going to.

simpatico

Was this always meant to be a $20 under retail game? I figured it was a full fat Assassins Creed. I wonder if they saw the direction during development and thought a lower price would salvage it.

This is confirmed 4k 60 locked on ps5 right ? I may pick it up even though I wasn’t going to.

I'd like to know this too..and are the graphics on the level of Valhalla? It looks A LOT like Origins ...is it reusing too many assets from Origins or does it have its own identity? It's hard to tell on Youtube.

Was this always meant to be a $20 under retail game? I figured it was a full fat Assassins Creed. I wonder if they saw the direction during development and thought a lower price would salvage it.

It was originally Valhalla dlc that they turned into a full game so no. I have a problem with their marketing though. They acted like this was a return to the roots game and never let on that it heavily shares the framework from Valhalla. Nobody knew that until 2 weeks ago. Like if this is supposed to be a back to basics AC, shouldn't it FEEL more like the weightier mechanics from before instead of the easy mode paramour with cancellable combat move set? Esp Valhalla where the parkour was the most simple and dumbed down yet. The combat of Valhalla was also the worst of the 3 AC rpg's ..no weight to attacks and worst parry too.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
Why? The games are selling more than they ever have in the past. Mirage probably won’t outperform Valhalla but I doubt that’s their expectation. The first big “next gen” AssCreed drops next year.
Because they make the IPs grow stale and less impressive with every release. I’d argue that giving a big IP a rest will boost sales of the next installment.

You won’t see a next gen Assassin’s Creed for three years, at the earliest. We’re half way through this generation.

review scores (smh):

While Mirage doesn’t have a strong focus on the modern-day story, it does touch on it at times. But the main focus is certainly what’s going on in Baghdad in the year 861. It’s got some twists along the way, and overall is one of the stronger stories Mirage has told yet. My favorite in the franchise story-wise beforehand was probably Assassin’s Creed 3, and I feel like Mirage is right up there with it...

Mirage is the best assassin simulator yet. Scaling the beautifully architectures buildings in Baghdad is peak Assassin’s Creed. Pickpocketing and assassinations are well-executed and don’t feel like a hassle. Even the combat is probably at its highest quality. Mirage definitely wants you to avoid combat if possible. Stealth assassinations still take enemies out in a single attack, while combat is a more lengthy—and challenging—experience. But when you do break out the sword, it’s the well-refined combat system similar to Valhalla, which was probably one of its strongest elements...

sounds pretty good, eh? score? 75...

https://www.destructoid.com/reviews/review-assassins-creed-mirage/

Kacho

You won’t see a next gen Assassin’s Creed for three years, at the earliest. We’re half way through this generation.
I think you misunderstood what I meant. Valhalla wasn’t the first next gen Assassin’s Creed. It’s a cross gen game, same with Mirage. Assassin’s Creed Red (dropping next year) is the first game built from the ground up for current gen systems. It will not be available on Xbox One or PS4.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
I think you misunderstood what I meant. Valhalla wasn’t the first next gen Assassin’s Creed. It’s a cross gen game, same with Mirage. Assassin’s Creed Red (dropping next year) is the first game built from the ground up for current gen systems. It will not be available on Xbox One or PS4.
Ah, I was confused by you calling current gen consoles "next gen". This gen is what it is, so don't expect a lot more.

Bojji

Game looks... FUCKING DOGSHIT, HORRIBLE, TRULY AWFUL, AMAZINGLY BAD CHROMATIC ABBERATION is turned on without option to disable it. Fuck me...

Otherwise game runs over 70FPS maxed with 4K native res on 4070ti, very good performance.

y6vJDro.jpg

Look at this shit:

MtU8MEL.png

I don't know what the fuck they are smoking at Ubisoft, they think this shit looks good?

Last edited:

Ywap

Game looks... FUCKING DOGSHIT, HORRIBLE, TRULY AWFUL, AMAZINGLY BAD CHROMATIC ABBERATION is turned on without option to disable it. Fuck me...

Otherwise game runs over 70FPS maxed with 4K native res on 4070ti, very good performance.

y6vJDro.jpg

Look at this shit:

MtU8MEL.png

I don't know what the fuck they are smoking at Ubisoft, they think this shit looks good?
😧Yeah, that's gotta go 🤢🤮

Last edited:

Don't worry the patches will came... they always do. If you expected a AAA game to launch without issues in 2023 your the crazy one.

SCB3

y6vJDro.jpg

Look at this shit:

MtU8MEL.png

Is it possible its done on purpose to emulate the Sand haze you'd see in a town like this?

Being Optimistic I know, game looks fine up close on PC

Bojji

Is it possible its done on purpose to emulate the Sand haze you'd see in a town like this?

Being Optimistic I know, game looks fine up close on PC

It's camera lenses (d)effect, there wasn't any in 8th century so I don't really know what they were thinking.

In sdr mode it's much less pronounced.

Kakax11

Banned
So far so good, the game is amazing but HDR needs to have darker shadows and Chromatic Abberation toggle option is so needed

also photomode is busted bad

Bojji

So far so good, the game is amazing but HDR needs to have darker shadows and Chromatic Abberation toggle option is so needed

also photomode is busted bad

Origins and odyssey had very good HDR but Valhalla looked really bad to me. Mirage is like Valhalla in this aspect.

I will play in sdr.

Eiknarf

Banned
Anyone play this on the PS5 ? Does it utilize adaptive triggers and haptic feedback on the Dualsense?

Last edited:
Played about an hour of the PC version at midnight this morning when the game unlocked. So far, so very familiar. Seems fine but I have to admit that I am a bit underwhelmed by the visuals which do not appear to have improved over the three year old Valhalla. Character faces can still look a bit last gen at times and night time lighting is still way too bright and unrealistic. Although the game seems to run smoothly most of the time at 120 fps on my PC (i5-13600KF, 32 GB DDR4 3600, RTX 4080 FE, Windows 11 Pro 23H2) on maxed out settings at 1440p, I was experiencing some slightly irksome microstuttering, mostly when using Eagle Vision, but also during exploration, the latter of which appears to of the traversal kind rather than the dreaded shader compilation stutter. This issue is not present in Valhalla, Origins or Odyssey. It's not game-breaking but it is noticeable.

Senua

Played about an hour of the PC version at midnight this morning when the game unlocked. So far, so very familiar. Seems fine but I have to admit that I am a bit underwhelmed by the visuals which do not appear to have improved over the three year old Valhalla. Character faces can still look a bit last gen at times and night time lighting is still way too bright and unrealistic. Although the game seems to run smoothly most of the time at 120 fps on my PC (i5-13600KF, 32 GB DDR4 3600, RTX 4080 FE, Windows 11 Pro 23H2) on maxed out settings at 1440p, I was experiencing some slightly irksome microstuttering, mostly when using Eagle Vision, but also during exploration, the latter of which appears to of the traversal kind rather than the dreaded shader compilation stutter. This issue is not present in Valhalla, Origins or Odyssey. It's not game-breaking but it is noticeable.
Unity still looks better lol

Reactions: GHG

Kenpachii

Main city looks solid, visually not that impressive, more of odyssey i would say. It's a step down from valhalla quality wise, NPC's still look last gen, and the new combat is just meh.

It's basically stealth and everything else removed, the normal combat is terrible, no more armor farming tho, but it's another step down after valhalla.

U can't climb everything anymore terrible. Outside the city the game looks a bit dated entirely. Lots of effects like fog and haze that just don't land well, whenever u walk in sand and u leaves imprints of your shoes in there looks terrible.

Game has some microstutter problems and it seems like some issue's with scaling towards lower resolutions on higher resolutin screens. Took me a while to fix that shit.

All with all if u are into the story, u probably will have a good time. but the combat in general is just not fun.

Basically combat bogs down towards, red character press alt to dodge, white character press q to parry, hit with sword in between. fucking dumb.

Also the detection of where enemy's is, has been improved but i find myself constantly sitting in that mode which kills the entire fibe of the game.

Also no framegeneration because ubisoft.

The game feels like a half arsed product that doesn't know what it wants to be.

Last edited:
CaPcom ports linear games nothing really impressive about it on other hand ubisoft ports open world games without loading screen that's really impressive
They are just average ports, as in all of their games in recent years. Just generic with no big problems
but not amazing either, I hope you see the pattern here.

So 4 more single player AssCreeds before Ubi goes all in on multiplayer live service titles? Interesting.
Red team will focus on next rpg in the series in 2028, mirage team will probably make small linear next gen open world games, hexe team will probably make next whatever they doing with hexe

Exentryk

Going to skip this one after playing the last three (Origins, Odyssey, Valhalla). Not really interested in the stealth focus in this one.

Oberstein

The NPC faces are not far off the Starfield/Skyrim level sometimes. I can't believe they didn't make a bit of an effort...

SCB3

It was originally DLC for Valhalla that they expanded on

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
I only futzed around for a half hour or so, but the controls def feel a little different. Somewhat weightier. A little less jank when parkouring up walls and shit.

Ill have more later. I havent even stabbed someone yet :messenger_pensive:

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
A bit hesitant to buy this one. I didn’t like both Odyssey and Valhalla so it being shorter sounds good to me on paper.

Whoever, most reviews seem to like it being shorter but still gave mediocre scores…

stn

I'll get this on sale. Haven't played an AssCreed game since Black Flag, but I like stealth and the fact that its more simplified instead of being 200 hours of grinding.

So in this game RTX 3060 is beating PS5 and Xbox Series X easily.

PS5 and Xbox Series X running this game on 1080p 60 FPS mode and 30 Fps quality 30 fps at 2k according to this video.

RTX 3060 on 2K easily running the game on ultra settings on native resolution.

So in this game RTX 3060 is beating PS5 and Xbox Series X easily.

PS5 and Xbox Series X running this game on 1080p 60 FPS mode and 30 Fps quality 30 fps at 2k according to this video.

RTX 3060 on 2K easily running the game on ultra settings on native resolution.

Did you even watch the video before posting it?
It clearly shows Series S is 1080/60 and X/PS5 is 1440/60 or 2160/30.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Mirage doesn’t look or feel different than the historical assassin creed game, going after the reboot crowd I don’t see that happening.

I have loved them all since Black Flag (Unity aside), but this just seems so dull.

What is it - a remake of the first one (that was basically just a tech demo with a boring story and repetitive gameplay) or Valhalla DLC with none of the good bits?

There's an advertorial on BBC News about how the language is authentic to the period, but I am not sure that is enough to pay £45 tbf

The Eurogamer review is a love letter to 9th Century Baghdad and the Polygon review basically says that if you grew up in a muslim culture, you will love it.

What is the gameplay like?

Last edited:

saintjules

Timestamp.

Even at $50 and am interested to play it, I might want to be cheap and wait a bit for the price to drop. I wouldn't be surprised if they dropped it during Black Friday, but a bit too close already.

Last edited:
Top Bottom