• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Shadows Release November 15, 2024

GudOlRub

I don't playing as CJ in GTA SA, or Franklin in GTA 5, or Saga Anderson in Alan Wake 2, etc and usually find all the rage bait about races in a contemporary videogame pretty cringe.
But this just feels so fucking bizarre....
At least it'll certainly make people talk a lot more about the game and as they say, any publicity is good publicity...

Fbh

The scene in which Yasuke strikes with some kind of sledgehammer... it's such nonsense. The opposite of a samurai. Well, someone's going to tell me he's not really one, but I find it so phony. And the new edge music behind it. Does Ubisoft have no shame?

The Kanabo is a legit Samurai Weapon
Nanhoku-cho_period_samurai_from_%22Military_Costumes_in_Old_Japan%22%2C_1893.jpg

Ah yeah so why the male cannot Japanese?
Because they chose Yasuke.
I focused so much about race because I don't want to play with a man being a slave and count jester in Nobunaga faction.
And you won’t, as he will clearly go through a growth arc and go down his own path. The game is fiction.
There are so much much more interesting could be made.
Maybe, maybe not. We will see when the game releases.
And you need to stop focusing so much to blindly defend megacorp.
I don’t care if Ubi topples next year. I care that people don’t make up stuff, like claiming Yasuke was going to be a ninja after literally seeing the promo image proving otherwise, or Draugoth’s sneaky attempt at baiting outrage with fake prices last page. The fake outrage, fake info, and clickbait is what’s wrong here.

Last edited:

Senhua

Because they chose Yasuke.

And you won’t, as he will clearly go through a growth arc and go down his own path. The game is fiction.

Maybe, maybe not. We will see when the game releases.

I don’t care if Ubi topples next year. I care that people don’t make up stuff, like claiming Yasuke was going to be a ninja after literally seeing the promo image proving otherwise, or Draugoth’s sneaky attempt at baiting outrage with fake prices last page. The fake outrage and clickbait is what’s wrong here.
This is my last reply as I will ignore all this turd of game thread here.
Stop to try correcting others people critics to a game (every game) especially when it's about personal taste.

This is my last reply as I will ignore all this turd of game thread here.
Stop to try correcting others people critics to a game (every game) especially when it's about personal taste.
As long as they give bad and incorrect takes, I won’t stop. You’ll have to live with that, and you’ll have to cope with this game existing. I don’t ignore people here because I can deal with heavy convos, criticism, and being wrong sometimes.

I hope you find your peace here and don’t end up with a massively one-sided ignore list.

Nankatsu

I don't know man.

Trailer is cool and all, but Ubisoft always knows how to put out a good trailer. As for games, well, not so much.

One thing that the trailer made me realize is how I wish someone would revamp the Tenchu franchise.

Last edited:
Yes, but this is like making a game set in the Congo feature a clearly Caucasian male protagonist. It is embarrassing.
It's the fact that out of everyone they could've picked, they pick the 1 black guy who was in Japan, with no history of being a Samurai over all those other legendary Samurai's.

Imagine a developer made a game based in Ghana and they made the main character a white guy just because 1 white guy happened to be in Ghana and knew some people during that time.
Don’t even bother. They will continue to gaslight and push strawman arguments to defend the game. It is all they ever do.
Black Flag had a Welsh privateer in the Caribbeans…

Not trying to be mean here, but do some of you actually play these games?

Last edited:
If this game is good it will be one of the best selling AC games ever released.

They made the right decision with the character because it will bring more attention to the game, just watch.

I already see morons losing it on Twitter = free marketing lmao

I have to ask, why do you feel the protagonists in this game are relatable in this game, in a way the protagonist in Rise of the Ronin is not? What is it about the Rise of the Ronin protagonist that you didn't find relatable?
Create a character wasnt he/she. Japanese create a character games never do it for me. Including Fromsoft. Who cares about the mc you play in Dark Souls. Its all about the bosses and everyone on earth agrees.

Also Ronin characters seemed more boring /stoic like Jin was in Ghost of Tsushima which I dropped after 20 hours ( ooh im breaking my oathhh ohhh look at me Im an oath breaker). Over here, Yasuke is a stranger in a strange land who just so happens to burn Naoe's village. Already has tension and drama. Other than that, the costume designs of each are ace.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Yes, but this is like making a game set in the Congo feature a clearly Caucasian male protagonist. It is embarrassing. The only viable reason would have been a historic one.
If there were thousands of pieces of media set in the Congo, then sooner or later, you'd see one starring a white man, but there isn't, so that comparison doesn't make sense.

There are hundreds upon hundreds of media set in feudal Japan starring Japanese characters. Yasuke stands out so unsurprisingly, someone is filling that vacuum of having a major game starring him.

SJRB

Gold Member
Easily one of the blandest CGI trailers they ever released for an AC game. What a snoozefest.

Assassin's Creed has some incredible CGI trailers but this one is just whack.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
The scene in which Yasuke strikes with some kind of sledgehammer... it's such nonsense. The opposite of a samurai. Well, someone's going to tell me he's not really one, but I find it so phony. And the new edge music behind it. Does Ubisoft have no shame?
It's a kanabo or war club used by Samurai.

Kerotan

Asians getting a feel of that western wokeness. Yes I know there was a black samurai but out of thousands of samurai they just happened to pick the one who was black.

The game should be good but it's eye rolling at this stage.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Asians getting a feel of that western wokeness. Yes I know there was a black samurai but out of thousands of samurai they just happened to pick the one who was black.

The game should be good but it's eye rolling at this stage.
For one he wasn't a samurai and for two, doesn't it make sense to pick a novel character that stands out most? Joan of Arc is renown in no small part because she was a woman doing what were considered men things. Cleopatra stands out because she was a prominent figure in a geopolitical climate dominated by men. Barack Obama stands out because he was the first and only black president of the US. Many fictional white characters in works set in feudal Japan are based on William Adams, an Englishmen and so forth.

Why wouldn't you pick out the obvious exceptions? Additionally, historical details on Yasuke are scarce so it makes it easy to mold the story around him without deviating too far form the historical figure. Hell, the only reason we can all name him is exactly because he was black. If he was Japanese, none of us would remember him.

What annoys me is that it's Ubisoft taking first crack at it and it's gonna suck.

Last edited:

Mortisfacio

Banned
There was never a black samurai. Yasuke was never an actual samurai. He was a “pet” at best.

Yah, but this is 2024 revisionist history. He was the most amazing samurai to ever live in the Ubisoft universe.

I just hope the game doesn't suck. I was so hyped for Valhalla because I absolutely love vikings/norse mythology. I have no idea how Ubisoft managed to make Norse mythology sooooo boring.

Rocinante618

Neo Member
New AC!

Few points.

- nice trailer, but CGI no gameplay, gameplay is the most important thing for me in a video game
- I'm not American nor white so I don't get the skin color shit that has plagued the West.
- Black, White, Brown, Chinese, etc color/race doesn't bother me one bit, I care only gameplay - changing the color of a 3D model to whatever you like will not matter if gameplay is shite. I know genuinely that many friends feel nice when they see their color in a video game they enjoy so, it's nice I guess. I don't care about historical accuracy as well. My simple rule is: if gameplay bad, no amount of DEI or no DEI will make it better.
- Absurd pricing coupled with some weird mini gamepass + AC infinity is insane but on par with Ubisoft.
- I play very very few games, I'm already set for this year lol - Huge Backlog! + Elden RING DLC, Animal Well, World of Goo 2, Kingdom Come 2 and Indiana Jones are enough to last me till next year. Starwars Outlaws as well! oh dear.
- I don't expect this to be like AC2, Brotherhood etc and that's fine - Ubisoft has found a formula, it sells so they make/churn.

Will get this when this goes for 50% for the all ultimate edition. I like Ubisoft games, they are fun to goof around, I know they are cliched and use the same formula but that's fine, I'm expecting that and it's alright.

I guess I need finish Valhalla and start Mirage before I get this next year lol

GymWolf

Gold Member
I have zero interest in this game but to be fair there is also female ninja in Sekiro.
E676D92FD0EEB24F264CE0881F490940E7E020B6

Not everything is about being “woke”. But it’s Ubisoft and I know how this game is gonna be like and I have no interest in it.
You are into grannies uh? :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Last edited:
Yasuke was essentially Nobunaga's personal jester. He had some sword training but he was not a samurai.

Iirc he wasn't even in Japan for more than like 2 years.

Last edited:

RaduN

Is that your problem with these games? That there are black samurais? That there are chicks beating dudes? My fucking god 🤣🤣🤣
You are god damn pathetic at this point.

Killer8

I suppose it is not too different from William in Nioh ie. a person who is not of a Japanese background becoming a samurai.

3fCpeBZ.png

Both William Adams and Yasuke were real people but games of course will take a lot of liberties with realism in order to make a better game (I doubt the real William Adams used a kusarigama to kill a big titty semen demon irl). Nioh also featured Yasuke as one of the final bosses named "Obsidian Samurai".

The real reason to be skeptical of the game is that Assassins Creed has fucking stunk since Origins.

Last edited:

Kerotan

For one he wasn't a samurai and for two, doesn't it make sense to pick a novel character that stands out most? Joan of Arc is renown in no small part because she was a woman doing what were considered men things. Cleopatra stands out because she was a prominent figure in a geopolitical climate dominated by men. Barack Obama stands out because he was the first and only black president of the US. Many fictional white characters in works set in feudal Japan are based on William Adams, an Englishmen and so forth.

Why wouldn't you pick out the obvious exceptions? Additionally, historical details on Yasuke are scarce so it makes it easy to mold the story around him without deviating too far form the historical figure. Hell, the only reason we can all name him is exactly because he was black. If he was Japanese, none of us would remember him.

What annoys me is that it's Ubisoft taking first crack at it and it's gonna suck.
Jin Sucky begs to differ.

Top Bottom