• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Shadows Release November 15, 2024

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
I suppose it is not too different from William in Nioh ie. a person who is not of a Japanese background becoming a samurai.

3fCpeBZ.png

Both William Adams and Yasuke were real people but games of course will take a lot of liberties with realism in order to make a better game (I doubt the real William Adams used a kusarigama to kill a big titty semen demon irl). Nioh also featured Yasuke as one of the final bosses named "Obsidian Samurai".

The real reason to be skeptical of the game is that Assassins Creed has fucking stunk since Origins.
Difference is William became one of the first Western Samurai and Yosuke never became a Samurai at all.

Yosuke was only a Retainer/Page and never was granted the title of Samurai/Knight.

But hey video games.

------------

I feel like in a AC game which is primarily stealth you should just be a Ninja/Kunoichi instead of a Samurai frontliner.

Why would that be unusual, there were plenty of Europeans there at the time?
Welsh Privateers were a thing, even 100 years prior to the start of Black Flag. Read up on Henry Morgan.

Clearly you know as little about history as you do about the reason people are annoyed at this game. But thanks for proving my point.
I don't think March Climber cares to understand history. His stance seems to just be gaslighting and mental gymnastics to justify why nobody should be upset with this.
I don’t think it’s unusual. Look at his argument (the person I quoted) to see why I said that. In his logic, the Black Flag protagonist should have been a native Caribbean since it’s set in that area.

Everyone but the main character.
It’s dual main characters. Naoe is also the protagonist.

Last edited:

Raven117

Oh, I'll give it a go. As always. If I don't have anything else to play. Who is doing the soundtrack? One thing about Ubisoft games is that their soundtracks are often the best part of the game. (Far Cry 5, Assassins Creed 2).

Aion002

I am just curious about the combat now.

If it is more garbage like Valhalla or if they were actually able to make something fun to play.

The art style seems cool.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
I just need to see gameplay man.

This has the potential to trump odyssey as my favorite game from Ubi.

Stafford

The additional screenshots in the IGN article don't look all that crazy. After all that lighting talk and it being current gen only.....i expect more. It's just screenshots, not footage just yet, but still.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Difference is William became one of the first Western Samurai and Yosuke never became a Samurai at all.

Yosuke was only a Retainer/Page and never was granted the title of Samurai/Knight.

Do we have a source for this?

Black_Stride

The scene in which Yasuke strikes with some kind of sledgehammer... it's such nonsense. The opposite of a samurai. Well, someone's going to tell me he's not really one,.

Mate.
You arent even trying are you.....or maybe you.
Trying really hard to be angry at things.
That weapon is real.
And was considered Samurais most devastating weapon.

Its even featured in many anime and manga.

base64-16720506736681027479550-1672109541635-1672109541746399660551-1672113419274-1672113419342922995961.png

Black_Stride

First gameplay screenshot?

IA42o76.jpeg

This game leaked so long ago I even forgot I had this picture:
qiEIYCm.jpg

From photomode downsampled from 24K

Last edited:

Aion002

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Do we have a source for this?
There's precious little information regarding Yasuke. There's no specific mention of him being a samurai as far as I'm aware but he also lived in a period where the title had different connotations compared to later on. He was probably a Bushi which is somewhat incorrectly used interchangeably with the term Samurai.

Black_Stride

If you want to read more about it:

Nothing concrete in regards to Yasuke.

Much more info on Willaim though.

There's precious little information regarding Yasuke. There's no specific mention of him being a samurai as far as I'm aware but he also lived in a period where the title had different connotations compared to later on. He was probably a Bushi which is somewhat incorrectly used interchangeably with the term Samurai.

Near literally the perfect character for Ubisoft to use creative license on.
I dont get why some people are getting upset over it and stating speculation as fact. (not you guys).

FeralEcho

I really don't mind the main character,at least he looks cool here and he was a badass in Nioh as well and at least it's not another edgy woman with that terrible sidecut or afro with 0 personality which seems to be the norm in games nowadays.

I do find it funny that gaming companies keep pulling the inclusion and diversity card but only for certain races and genders...Fuck everyone else apparently.

Outside of Ghost of Tsushima I struggle to think of another western game with an asian protagonist....Stranglehold?Sleeping Dogs? Like 15 years ago....And to make things worse,there have already been two black protagonists in AC with none asian,even in a game set in their own land lol Inclusion my ass.

Still,like I said,at least they made him look badass so that's great,he looks visually appealing and I want to see his story in a big AC game, I'm just worried about the writting.... it's current day Ubisoft afterall...

My main gripe however is the always online requirement,fuck that,I ain't buying a game I won't own...So if they won't change that aspect till launch then I won't get this and considering I have all the main AC games that's saying something...

SHA

Nice, specially designed for insecure overseas male beta player to fulfil their power fantasy to get pretty asian girl (after they slaughter a tons of local alpha "Chud" male of course)
pgzvor8k6tyc1.jpeg
Not sure if she's the innocent one here.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
I dont get why some people are getting upset over it and stating speculation as fact. (not you guys).
I think people just wanted both male/female Japanese protagonists in a game set in Japan.

My only issue is the Always Online and the lack of actual gameplay footage.

Can't really make a judgment call until then. And given Ubisoft games have tons of padding and lack of engagement it's a easy wait for sale kind of game.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
I recommend this video to learn more about him.

Black_Stride

I think people just wanted both male/female Japanese protagonists in a game set in Japan.

My only issue is the Always Online and the lack of actual gameplay footage.

Can't really make a judgment call until then. And given Ubisoft games have tons of padding and lack of engagement it's a easy wait for sale kind of game.
Your first sentence makes the most sense.
People are just dancing around saying it, by criticizing that Yasuke was most definitely not a samurai......come on his title is the least of their worries.
Be real.

The always online bullshit.....now that can suck a dick.....WHY?!?!
I recommend this video to learn more about him.

My thing is if the historical figure has a lot of blank spaces......isnt that the perfect place for Ubi to just inject things?
Creative/Artistic/Historical License aint dead.

Best part about Ubisoft game is cinematic trailer. Main female character looks boring , her face ,outfit,.. everything is bland af. Idk she looks like Philippines girl than Japanese girl lol.

Last edited:

StereoVsn

Wait, this is always online plus the Battle Passes? I guess Ubi doesn’t want those filthy PC players “cheating” in this SP game.

Keep digging, Ubi, keep digging.

SHA

Nice, specially designed for insecure overseas male beta player to fulfil their power fantasy to get pretty asian girl (after they slaughter a tons of local alpha "Chud" male of course)
pgzvor8k6tyc1.jpeg
What's beta player? Are you saying multiplayer players are the alpha ones?

makaveli60

In an objective sense I found it interesting, that a black samurai is the main character which could lead to a really interesting and good story in the proper hands. But after Odyssey’s vomit-inducingly shitty writing I don’t expect anything. And of course we all know the real reason why these two are the main characters. DEI bullshit.

Romulus

My main problem is we finally get a Assassin's Creed game in Japan with Asians and they ignore all the hundreds of Japanese real Samurai(actually confirmed) to plaster a Black guy who was never even confirmed a samurai.

It's forced. There's absolutely no way around it.

Zathalus

Some interesting stuff about Yasuke here:

Some notes:

- He probably wasn't a slave, but a free man acting as a bodyguard for Alessandro Valignano, an Italian Jesuit missionary.
- Nobunaga was so fascinated in the first meeting he thought he was covered in black paint and when ordered him washed. After finding out it wasn't paint Nobunaga threw a welcome party for him.
- Yasuke was described as “[appearing] to be 26 or 27 years old. … This man looked robust and had a good demeanor. What is more, his formidable strength surpassed that of ten men.”
- Other chronicles characterize the samurai as an intelligent, imposing figure who stood more than six feet tall. Though Yasuke was already a skilled warrior, he likely underwent additional martial arts training upon joining Nobunaga’s army.
- It doesn't appear that Nobunaga and him were lovers.
- He was quite popular with the locals.
- Yasuke was one of two people present when Nobunaga committed seppeku. He escaped with Nobunagas head.
- He was not executed buy official records of him stop at this point.

It's not actually clear if he was made a Samurai or not, but considering he was one of two present when Nobunaga killed himself he was apparently highly trusted. The idea that he was a pet or simple servant is laughable.

Some clarification on what his role likely was -

Last edited:

Z O N E

My main problem is we finally get a Assassin's Creed game in Japan with Asians and they ignore all the hundreds of Japanese real Samurai(actually confirmed) to plaster a Black guy who was never even confirmed a samurai.

THIS, THIS and THIS.

There were MANY different options for a Samurai they could've picked, but instead they chose the 1 black guy who we don't even have evidence was ever given the title of Samurai.

Also, the game would've been amazing had we played as Miyamoto Musashi. He was undefeated across 60 duels. Also won most of his duels with a wooden stick.

marjo

I don’t think it’s unusual. Look at his argument (the person I quoted) to see why I said that. In his logic, the Black Flag protagonist should have been a native Caribbean since it’s set in that area.

It’s dual main characters. Naoe is also the protagonist.
Yes, but apparently she doesn't count because, you know, vagina.

It's a convenient way tutorial character. Culture seen through the outsider's eyes etc. Also a convenient backdoor to a shitty Africa map or expansion. Where did he go with Nobunaga's noggin? Why, back to Mozambique of course!

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
It's a convenient way tutorial character. Culture seen through the outsider's eyes etc. Also a convenient backdoor to a shitty Africa map or expansion. Where did he go with Nobunaga's noggin? Why, back to Mozambique of course!

Will buy collectors edition if one of the DLC is titled Nobonaga's Noggin

Top Bottom