• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassins Creed unity Patch 4 On Hold (Paris map being "refurbished")

James1o1o

Banned
6.5gb big. Christ.

B4_3BrjCYAA-6FH.jpg:large

SJRB

Gold Member
I'm not going to be upset if they tear the numbers of NPCs down by %75 -- they have zero effect on gameplay or atmosphere, especially since UBI removed the crowd navigation animations, now they're just annoying and get in your way. Give us a solid 30 FPS and it will improve the experience substantially.

They already confirmed that the amount of NPCs are irrelevant to the game's performance. Downsizing crowd numbers wil do nothing in terms of fps boost.

As always Ubisoft "live updates" are totally pointless.

They announce the patch for Monday, then later in the day they say the patch is delayed. When it was already obvious it was.

Then the day after the patch is out without a single word. And they'll probably announce it is out long after the fact.

So again, why do we have a Live Updates page if it's not updated at all?

Ubisoft isn't even able to get customer support right.

James1o1o

Banned
They already confirmed that the amount of NPCs are irrelevant to the game's performance. Downsizing crowd numbers wil do nothing in terms of fps boost.

But I thought the whole reason the performance was so poor was because the CPU was really limited due to the number of crowds they were having to render? Christ, Ubisoft can't even lie properly.

rBose

Banned
As always Ubisoft "live updates" are totally pointless.

They announce the patch for Monday, then later in the day they say the patch is delayed. When it was already obvious it was.

Then the day after the patch is out without a single word. And they'll probably announce it is out long after the fact.

So again, why do we have a Live Updates page if it's not updated at all?

Ubisoft isn't even able to get customer support right.

"We're sorry for the issues and inconveniences regarding the live updates page, for more info please contact customer support below"

SJRB

Gold Member
Most generic set of patchnotes ever. Your patch is 6.5 gigs goddamnit, at least give some context as to what I'm downloading please.

WinterX

Banned
Some modder made a tweak for PC version. He was able to minimze or even remove all NPCs but still the framerate was the same.

Ateron

I'm on the edge of my seat here. Hopefully impressions will start rolling in soon. Never had a problem with AC:Unity as a concept, but the performance and microtransaction bs put me off. If this solves the perfomance, than I'll take the plunge. For all the things they seem to do wrong they always create compelling worlds to navigate through.

Also, it doesn't hurt that it can be found a lot cheaper now, which is the exact price range I think ubi deserves for putting out this game the way they did.

Wonder if DF will give the game another go and report exactly what was improved and by what margin.

Ateron

Some modder made a tweak for PC version. He was able to minimze or even remove all NPCs but still the framerate was the same.

I'm a laymen at this (no shame in admitting it) but maybe that would point to the game rendering all of what you can see in the distance, hence forcing the game to render things extremely far away and that have no impact on what's going on in the area the player is in? I don't know how to express myself better, it's frustrating.

If the huge crowds are out of the picture, in terms of performance hit, what could be causing this? Like Skyrim which had that problem where the game kept track of every single fucking thing you moved out of place, and instead of resetting the game world frequently, the engine just let the "trash" pile everywhere, while duplicating in-world items up until the game would crash frequently, not even booting after 200 hours in. I managed to fill my house floor with apples and grapes just for shits and giggles. Or coming back to a certain cave, 10 hours after and still finding a sword dropped by me cause I was overburdened. That was an engine flaw, let's hope it's not the same case here, as that could be a bitch to fix.

I've hated too many things in this game, but always wanted to give it a try. Poor performance all around is what keeps me from getting it (that and rewarding rushed games to the market). But at the current price point, and if this solves the fps issues (maaaybe pop in while they're at it) then I will get it and most likely enjoy it a lot more than I would, otherwise.

_machine

PC is too hard for Ubi.
More like QA on PC is a much, much harder process and they wanted to get the update ASAP to as many players as possible. I certainly think it's the better choice rather than delay all patch versions.

EDIT: and for those wondering about the size of the patch, well they did just update one of the biggest maps of the game and map data can get really, really big (AC:U Paris is a big level, and one of the most detailed ones in recent history).

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Whoa that weird, the game seems fast lol, and it looks sharper....not saying 1080p sharper but something is different.

Edit: just had a fight, and I'm sure it's going over 30fps

Ferr986

Whoa that weird, the game seems fast lol, and it looks sharper....not saying 1080p sharper but something is different.

Edit: just had a fight, and I'm sure it's going over 30fps

Game looks the same, and no fucking way it goes above 30 fps. You're just used to the game chugging a lot.

It definitively runs smoother, but it still chugs a little in some heavy populated areas (like Palais of justice)

webkatt

Exclamation Patch 4 Release Notes
Here are the details of Patch 4. This Patch is rolling out to PS4 now, and will be available for Xbox One players later today (December 16). PC players can expect the patch later this week.

Patch 4 release date: December 16th
Platforms: PS4, Xbox One
PC coming later this week.
Size: 6.7 GB

Stability, Performance and Save Game
Fixed numerous random crashes both on Campaign and Coop
Implemented multiple optimizations and fixes to improve overall performance
Fixed save issue caused by the companion app on the main menu (loss of data)
Fixed save issue caused by contacts list (crash occurring). Users should now have access to save

Gameplay (navigation, fight, stealth)
Fixed various navigation issues
Fixed issues with lock picking chests
Fixed additional haystack issues

Character, AI and Crowd
Fixed various character, crowd station and NPC issues

Online, Matchmaking, Connectivity and Replication
Fixed various matchmaking and connection issues both in matches and when starting a match.
Fixed various issues with voice chat
Fixed join-in-progress issues
Fixed various replication issues between host and clients
Fixed issues with player rank and COOP/heist rewards
Fixed issues with Helix credits
Fixed issues with the My Club feature

Menus and HUD
Fixed HUD icon issues and issues with map information
Fixed various Initiates issues
Fixed additional issues with notifications

Mission tweaks (campaign, coop and side content)
Fixed various low occurrence walkthrough breaks in both Campaign and COOP
Fixed various NPC issues
Fixed issue with the quest log disappearing for specific side missions

World and 3D
Fixed various collision and mesh issues
Fixed additional issues where player would fall through the world
Fixed specific areas where textures were missing

PC-Specific
Fixed crash on "Quit to Windows" in free roam mode
Fixed crash on accepting multiple "Join the club" requests
Fixed issues with TXAA
Fixed issues with PCSS
Fixed issues with textures on NPCs
Fixed black texture issues on MSAA-4x, MSAA-8x and TXAA
Right Control now can be assigned as a hotkey
Minor UI fixes

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Last night ? The patch was released ~1 hour ago.
I was playing it last night and compared to that its very noticeable difference
That's what I meant, and I think it's uncapped
I'm at the guillotine area, pop ups are still here though.

As a Ubisoft employee you need to change your attitude and the way you speak with fans (not just referring to this specific post). It's natural for people to be disgruntled and borderline irrational, but you should learn to deal with that like the rest of the level headed comdevs and not always respond in a passive aggressive manner.

Ferr986

Well, this is what i can say after playing a bit:
-Framerate is smoother overall. Im sure is still capped at 30 though.
-It still drops in the big areas wheres theres a lot of people around, and some random streets too (like the streets surrounding Palais of Justice or the big street before the Pantheon, it still drops there).
- Graphics seems the same. No 1080p
- Loading times are maybe slighly faster? but they still take a lot
- NPC pop-in and that weird sudden costume change still happens
- NPC count overall seems the same BUT im not sure about that. For example, I remember more people outside of the Pantheon, but Im not sure...

Mind you, this is MY impressions, not facts

Top Bottom