• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassins's Creed PS4 is now 1080p with AA.

For those who can't tell the difference, maybe these small GIFs will help:

ida3SiBBNX23X.gif

ibmkI64oTG1Xbt.gif

iTgfydPMk0xvA.gif

ibtoNgg6IyAzsn.gif

To me the difference is rather dramatic.

WHAT WOW! Where is the gif from? Did they release comparison shots or video?

coldfoot

Banned
With AC4 at least, even if you set the PS4 output to 720p, the screenshots are native 1080p. This means regardless of output resolution, AC4 is rendered at 1080p and the screenshot feature takes a snap of the internal buffer and not what's being output to the TV.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Killzone isn`t using the same aa solution. Killzone uses FXAA and is compared to the AC Black Flag 1080p version noticeably burrier.

Killzone uses a mix of TXAA and FXAA and is quite sharp.

With AC4 at least, even if you set the PS4 output to 720p, the screenshots are native 1080p. This means regardless of output resolution, AC4 is rendered at 1080p and the screenshot feature takes a snap of the internal buffer and not what's being output to the TV.

I wonder if someone playing this on a native 720p HDtv, would get it downsampled? 2xsupersampled AA is one hell of a nice trade off if you don't have a 1080p screen.

coldfoot

Banned
I wonder if someone playing this on a native 720p HDtv, would get it downsampled? 2xsupersampled AA is one hell of a nice trade off if you don't have a 1080p screen.
Yes, it would get downsampled. It's getting downsampled to 720p on my 1080p TV if I choose the 720p output option, but then my TV upscales it to 1080p resulting in a shit image. A native 720p TV would get 2.25x supersampled AA from playing AC4 on PS4.

Raven77

Is anyone else having an issue where everything seems either slightly washed out or "shimmering" (hard to explain) when the camera moves. I notice it especially on the carpet after you leave the animus.

Its like some sort of texture filter or something. Idk what it is exactly but I have flickering and shimmering all over the place when i'm moving around in the game world.

I also have noticed that if I pan the camera slowly, colors become more pronounced, when the camera stops moving, things become washed out and sort of like they have a slight white outline.

Very bizarre.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA

I have no idea. I have a 40" 720p set, but all my PS4 games look fantastic. I'm not sensitive to aliasing and framerates, and I have a pretty killer gaming PC as well, but games like AC4 and Killzone and Resogun look stunning.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Is anyone else having an issue where everything seems either slightly washed out or "shimmering" (hard to explain) when the camera moves. I notice it especially on the carpet after you leave the animus.

Its like some sort of texture filter or something. Idk what it is exactly but I have flickering and shimmering all over the place when i'm moving around in the game world.

I also have noticed that if I pan the camera slowly, colors become more pronounced, when the camera stops moving, things become washed out and sort of like they have a slight white outline.

Very bizarre.

Do you have your TV set to 1:1 mapping yet? (Screen Fit, Just Scan, whatever your TV calls it)
The only thing I notice when the camera moves is the normal ghosting (especially noticeable on edges) that you always get from 30fps.

Definitely noticed the difference tonight when I was playing. It wasn't exactly like night and day, but it looks markedly better. Game looks great now and really crisp. Pre-patch it was okay, but eh. I officially call bullshit on nobody will notice resolution differences and this was 900p pre-patch. 900p is okay is I guess, but fuck if I'm going to play anything 720p.

Dead

well not really...yet
Hmm under notifications my ps4 says it downloaded an ac4 update around 6:40 but under update history it shows 1.02 as the latest

Edit: oh so this is 1.02 and bit 1.03?

Dead

well not really...yet
God damn the game does look noticeably better. A lot crisper. Edwards cloaks textures are much sharper too

Kinda feels like moving settings on a PC game from good to high or something

TAJ

Is that why Killzone looks so blurry to me? Ive been trying to figure out why it looks so damn blurry every time I play.

There's dust, fog, smoke, flares and DoF errywhere. But texture detail is O_O.

BigDug13

Currently this is the best looking game on the PS4, wow. Simply breathtaking.

Seriously, the game is just too ambitious for current gen and it shows in its current gen framerates. Game is one of the best next gen launch titles and I hope they stick with the open world formula (especially the Sid Meier's Pirates-style setup. Simply brilliant).

Sushen

It looks like the patch is 1.03 but I'm at 1.02 with no way of updating? Instead my COD ghosts was downloading its patch for the third time,,,I'm fairly sure it's getting the same patch over and over.

stryke

It looks like the patch is 1.03 but I'm at 1.02 with no way of updating? Instead my COD ghosts was downloading its patch for the third time,,,I'm fairly sure it's getting the same patch over and over.

No, I've seen people mention that the resolution patch is 1.02.

Orlics

Is it possible to agree with both of "there is definitely a noticeable difference between 720p and 1080p when you're looking at them side by side" AND "people who are stuck playing the 720p version of a game probably won't have their overall enjoyment seriously diminished by the lower resolution"? or are you allowed to pick just one

Tagg9

Game is really gorgeous. Not sure what it looked like before, but the first 15 minutes in the jungle is breathtaking. Thank you Ubisoft for going above and beyond.

Mifune

Mehmber
Game is really gorgeous. Not sure what it looked like before, but the first 15 minutes in the jungle is breathtaking. Thank you Ubisoft for going above and beyond.

I was actually disappointed in the opening graphics, actually. Seemed pretty jaggy and shimmery (keep in mind this was pre-patch). Either the graphics got better or I just got used to the look, but the visuals grew on me. But now after the patch they are capital G Gorgeous.

TAJ

Is it possible to agree with both of "there is definitely a noticeable difference between 720p and 1080p when you're looking at them side by side" AND "people who are stuck playing the 720p version of a game probably won't have their overall enjoyment seriously diminished by the lower resolution"? or are you allowed to pick just one

Depends on which 720p version you're talking about.
A 1080p PS4 game with the console set to output 720p to a 720p TV is going to look a hell of a lot cleaner than the game being rendered natively at 720p.

I was actually disappointed in the opening graphics, actually. Seemed pretty jaggy and shimmery (keep in mind this was pre-patch). Either the graphics got better or I just got used to the look, but the visuals grew on me. But now after the patch they are capital G Gorgeous.

Definitely agree with Mifune here - the opening is not impressive. The opening jungle run just highlights so many of the series' flaws - wonky NPC animations, bad scripting, less-impressive terrain geometry - that I honestly feel like it was a bit of a mistake. Thankfully, the game looks much nicer once you get to Havana.

It's still obviously a cross-gen title, but the full 1080p, AA, AO, and gorgeous textures really are nice.

Replicant

Unless your eyes need optical correction, you can normally tell when a 720p game is playing on your 1080p HDTV. It'd look blurry. I've experienced this too many times when playing this gen's games on my HDTV.

MBison

People are confusing me.

Is the latest update 1.02 or 1.03?? I just put mine in today and it downloaded 1.02. That's it right?

Aie!

pa22word

Going by the shots and based on my experience with the PCv I think the game might be using SMAA (it's an ingame option on the PCv) as its AA solution, because the shots posted have a similar blur (or lack there of) compared to what I get using SMAA on the PCv.

If so thank fuck that big pubs finally pulled their heads out of their asses and started using this shit on the console front. Hopefully the industry finally ditches FXAA altogether this gen.

KZObsessed

TAJ

I think this settles any ignorant discussion about the differences between 900p scaled and 1080p native. The difference is massive. Every game should be 1080p native on PS4.

Hopefully there's enough backlash over 720p games on Bone that MS mandates at least 900p.
That should guarantee 1080p goodness on PS4 long term.

Jomjom

Banned
How come these 900p to 1080p differences seem larger than the 720p to 1080p differences shown for XB1 and PS4 versions of games.

Reg

Banned
How come these 900p to 1080p differences seem larger than the 720p to 1080p differences shown for XB1 and PS4 versions of games.

Seems like there is a sharpening filter applied to the xb1 versions. Which also ends up emphasizing the aliasing.

TAJ

That difference is much bigger. You'll see in a few days.

Top Bottom