• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ASU Professor slammed to ground after jaywalking; charged with assaulting officer

Status
Not open for further replies.

rCIZZLE

Yea it's not illegal not show ID. However, it is illegal to fail to identify one's self as requested. If you are aware of what your rights are you would know you can say I don't have my ID on me but my name is "X". I live at address "Y" in "city state". You can also do this in a vehicle stop too. Any charges relating to no ID will be dropped if you show evidence you had a valid license(not expired) when stopped.

He said "show me your ID or I will arrest you. that is the law". Didn't hear him ask for a name. All he did was repeatedly cut her off with requests to see the ID until finally tackling her to the ground.

Norml

And jaywalking continues to be the stupidest "crime" ever.

I don't think so. Last time I jaywalked,I almost got hit by a car. It would have never came close if I just went to the intersection where there was clearer view with cars not parked on the side.

This lady was dumb and thought she was above the law. She just couldn't handle being told what to do.

rCIZZLE

I don't think so. Last time I jaywalked,I almost got hit by a car. It would have never came close if I just went to the intersection where there was clearer view with cars not parked on the side.

This lady was dumb and thought she was above the law. She just couldn't handle being told what to do.

Funny enough most of the times I've almost been hit while walking were at crosswalks. Even once by a cop. People intending on making right turns at a red light decided to pull up halfway into the crosswalk instead of stopping at the white line designated for them.

Nokagi

Unconfirmed Member
Well if she had just shown her ID this would have been a big nothing. But no she just had to kick and scream about it. Silly.

He said "show me your ID or I will arrest you. that is the law". Didn't hear him ask for a name. All he did was repeatedly cut her off with requests to see the ID until finally tackling her to the ground.

Show me your ID is short for show me your identification. This would be understood to be your driver's license in a vehicle stop or your name and address in all other cases.

"Ma'am, what you did was illegal and I have to issue you a citation. May I see your ID, please"?

Courtesy goes a long way and probably would've avoided this whole scenario. But instead of diplomacy, we get intimidation. As she wasn't cowed, he resorted to force. For a fucking jaywalking ticket.

Citizens should be empowered to resist unjust authoritarian actions - if only so that authority is motivated to ensure some degree of empathic fairness for the people that they're put in charge over.
Are you calling a request for identification after a law enforcement office just saw someone break the law an "unjust authoritarian action?"

Jenov

Police stop for reasonable suspicion. Not an arrest.

You don't need to provide ID for an arrest either. Also shocking, I know.

Again... at no point does a person not in a vehicle have to produce valid ID. All they have to do is identify themselves with their full name (and address in some states). People are acting like this is odd, or it will destroy the fabric of our nation. It's not and it won't.

+10 points for insane dodge for the entire thread. You're truly a pro ;)

Zaptruder

Banned
I would calmly tell the cop "Sorry, I dont have ID with me" and stop raising my voice at the cop.

This is the kind of thing that people say in hindsight without empathy for the circumstance of the person.

This kind of thing typically happens so fast that it's difficult for anyone that hasn't preconsidered the situation to rationally optimize it. And it's affected by current mood and emotional state of the person.

It's not difficult to imagine anyone been caught in a current state of mind that causes them to act offended at an unreasonable/unfair/unjust even if lawful stoppage.

Are you really obligated to provide ID to a cop just because you crossed a campus street? What if you don't have your ID with you?

I'm not sure about the law system in the US, but I know that in the Netherlands it's a requirement to keep some form of ID on you at all times, and when the police asks for it, you have to be able to produce it.

They're quite lenient in practice however, and will generally check with an operator instead if you don't have ID on you. If you do have ID on you and you refuse to produce it however, they can arrest you. Additionally, if you give the wrong name when they're contacting the operator, you can get a fine of $500,-

I don't really see a problem with it. If you break the law, and police approach you about it, they should be able to identify you. Or what if something happens to you, say you're dead in a ditch, and you don't have anything on you to identify you? Considering they're generally not just allowed to open your cellphone due to privacy laws, I can certainly understand the reasoning behind it.

As for this particular instance.. Police was too aggressive and the woman should not have broken the law, and should certainly not have refused to show her identification. If you're accused of something, just do the things they ask, and calmly explain why you feel their accusations are wrong. Her behavior and that of the officers just rubbed off on each other.

This is unrelated to this specific case, but I wish the police would start handing out tickets for people jaywalking across the 4 lane road (40 mph speed limit) on the edge of our campus. We have a pedestrian overpass, but that doesn't stop people from playing Frogger 50 yards away from it. It's ridiculous.

terrisus

I'm not sure about the law system in the US, but I know that in the Netherlands it's a requirement to keep some form of ID on you at all times, and when the police asks for it, you have to be able to produce it.

That's some crazy police state you got going on there.
Finally someplace the US can look down and scoff at.

Kidding <3

fallingdove

So you are required to show ID for crossing a street in some states? Fucking crazy, but whatever.

It was a campus street, and there was construction. Big deal. Give her a warning if you have to and move on. What a fucking waste of taxpayer dollars. This cop should be fired ASAP. Even if the violence doesn't worry you, think about how much this idiot cop will cost you.

Give me a fucking break. We have no idea what the outcome would have been if the woman had been compliant.

A "thank you Maam, I am issuing you a warning. in the future, please use the crosswalk" could have very well been the outcome.

This woman was clearly beligerant - and if you want to talk about wasting tax payer dollars, the professor is to blame - the situation would have been resolved much faster if she had been reasonable and had done what the officer had asked in the first place.

I have seen many situations, personally even, where cops have abused their power. This is not one of those.

DSKMan

Banned
They don't have the same major hurdles in getting IDs. Poll taxes are also illegal in the US and many of these voter ID laws are basically poll taxes. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poll_tax_(United_States)

That is beyond the scope of this topic though.

Please explain what hurdles are you talking about.

1. The US has more simple rules to obtaining an ID than most of Europe.
2. It is a lower cost to obtain an ID than in nearly all of Europe.

The only proven barrier to obtaining an ID in the U.S, is for people who live in rural areas, who don't have quick access to a DMV.

So in the U.S we allow for more lax rules for obtaining an ID, and it is lower cost for those who are poor in the U.S.

DSKMan

Banned
She wasn't arrested because of the Stop and Identify laws in many states. She was arrested for not showing ID after being caught committing an infraction. This is has absolutely nothing to do with Stop and Identify, and those white states on the prior maps wouldn't be any different.

In EVERY U.S state if you are caught committing an infraction, and refuse to show ID you may be arrested and searched, until you your identification can be substantiated.

SegaShack

Lol, at the bolded.
I don't even bother saying anything to a cop asking who I am. They just get a dismissive wave. I didn't even know that there were other states where that was illegal.

That's one way to act suspicious enough for them to search your vehicle or house.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom