• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ASU Professor slammed to ground after jaywalking; charged with assaulting officer

Status
Not open for further replies.

benjipwns

Banned
The ASU is Arizona State University, go Jayhawks.
“The reason I’m talking to you right now is because you are walking in the middle of the street,” Officer Stewart Ferrin said to ASU professor Dr. Ersula Ore after stopping her near campus. She was crossing College Avenue, just south of Fifth Street

But in less than a minute, the conversation quickly began to escalate.

“Let me see your ID or you will be arrested for failing to provide ID,” Ferrin said.

“Are you serious?” Ore asked.

“Yes, I am serious. That is the law,” Ferrin replied.

According to police reports, Ore said she was trying to cross College Avenue in the same fashion as several others trying to avoid construction.

“I never once saw a single solitary individual get pulled over by a cop for walking across a street on a campus, in a campus location. Everybody has been doing this because it is all obstructed. That’s the reason why,” Ore said to the officer. “But you stop me in the middle of the street to pull me over and ask me, 'Do you know what this is? This is a street.' ”

“Are you aware that this is a street?” Ferrin asked.

“Let me finish,” Ore said.

“OK, put your hands behind your back,” Ferrin said.

“Don't touch me,” Ore said. “Get your hands off me.”

Seconds later, things escalated even further.

“Put your hand behind your back. I’m going to slam you on this car. Put your hand behind your back,” Ferrin said.

“You really want to do that? Do you see what I’m wearing? Do you see?” Ore said.

She was wearing a black dress and after being "slammed" onto the car, she was wrestled to the ground. Her dress hiked up and her body was exposed.

While both Ore and Ferrin suffered some minor injuries, Ore was charged with aggravated assault on a police officer in addition to criminal damage and obstructing a thoroughfare. She intends to fight the charges.
http://www.azfamily.com/news/local/...ing-officer-of-excessive-force-264991871.html
ASU released this statement to 3TV:

“ASU authorities have reviewed the circumstances surrounding the arrest and have found no evidence of inappropriate actions by the ASUPD officers involved. Should such evidence be discovered, an additional, thorough inquiry will be conducted and appropriate actions taken.

"Because the underlying criminal charges are pending, there is not much more we can say at this time. The Maricopa County Attorney's Office has reviewed all available evidence, including the police report, witness statements, and audio and video recordings of the incident, and decided to press criminal charges of assaulting a police officer, resisting arrest, refusing to provide identification when requested to do so by an officer, and obstructing a highway or public thoroughfare.”
http://www.azfamily.com/news/ASU-professor-accused-of-kicking-police-officer-261180151.html
Court records show Ore refused to provide her driver's license to a university police officer and was warned she would be taken into custody if she didn't comply.

Police say Ore allegedly kicked the officer in the shin after she was finally handcuffed and an ASU police vehicle was damaged during the scuffle.

Had trouble with the video on news site, but works on ThinkProgress for me, so you'll have to put up with going there if so: http://thinkprogress.org/justice/2014/06/28/3454416/arizona-professor-body-slammed-by-police/

Camp Lo

Banned
“Let me see your ID or you will be arrested for failing to provide ID,” Ferrin said made me think off the back that the professor was hispanic, it being Arizona and all.

What a wild video.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
What a shock, the police officer had absolutely no restraint because he figured he could get away with it.

WarMacheen

Being a 6'2" 215lbs white male I don't think I'll ever be in a situation like this. God help the other bast are if I am though

Kimawolf

This can't be allowed to continue. Police are basically abusing the people they are supposed to protect. Something's gotta give. I think if more white people, especially white women are beat down like this, maybe America will finally see how fucked our "justice" system is.

Yes she isn't white, but i am saying white people in general, this happens to them then things will change.

benjipwns

Banned
She didn't show her ID
Glad I live in one of the white states:
States_with_Stop_and_Identify_Laws.png

neptunes

Sometimes you can be so taken back by an officer's actions(or stupidity) you often forget that you could antagonize the wrong asshole with the law on their side.

Is it worth it?

TheJLC

I don't see anything wrong in the way he handled her. However, he stopped her for jaywalking? Are you serious?! The street is empty of traffic. lol That guy must have been bored.

But yeah, she was resisting arrest. If the officer was bigger he could have just slammed her down once and then put the cuff on the ground. But you can clearly see she is attempting to avoid having the officer put cuffs on her.

And for anyone wondering. Yes, an officer can use that level of force for someone resisting. The officer has to place that person in custody and she didn't want to go down that easily. If an officer had a taser, they should have used that instead. Don't resist is the moral of this story.

But once again... for jaywalking? Come on, man.

Opiate

She didn't show her ID and she resisted arrest. She also kicked the officer in the shin.

You're absolutely right, but it's important to note the non-technical part of this discussion. Technically, jay-walking is illegal. Practically, it's the sort of crime you'd only plausibly enforce if someone does it egregiously (e.g. walking out in front of a moving car with right of way) or if you already don't like someone and need some excuse to bully them. Given the video, this situation absolutely seems like the latter.

From a purely technical, legal perspective, it certainly looks like the police officer is in the right. From an ethical perspective -- or the less formal "who is being the asshole here?" perspective -- you can make a compelling case that the asshole here is the officer (Although certainly the professor responded poorly and can be guilty too). The professor appears to be correct that the officer is clearly enforcing the law selectively.

border

Yeah it's difficult to judge. The officer shouldn't have been bothering her for such trivial nonsense, but at the same time she should not have been so physically resistant.

lexi

Banned
I don't see anything wrong in the way he handled her. However, he stopped her for jaywalking? Are you serious?! The street is empty of traffic. lol That guy must have been bored.

But yeah, she was resisting arrest. If the officer was bigger he could have just slammed her down once and then put the cuff on the ground. But you can clearly see she is attempting to avoid having the officer put cuffs on her.

And for anyone wondering. Yes, an officer can use that level of force for someone resisting. The officer has to place that person in custody and she didn't want to go down that easily. If an officer had a taser, they should have used that instead. Don't resist is the moral of this story.

But once again... for jaywalking? Come on, man.

I don't think cops should have carte blanche to harass whoever the fuck they want (Black people and other minorities primarily). I would probably resist too.

Sophia

Yes you can. You can see it in the video.

Yeah, I edited my post. I was reading the thinkprogress article which claimed otherwise, but it was pretty obvious watching the video.

Yeah it's difficult to judge. The officer shouldn't have been bothering her for such trivial nonsense, but at the same time she should not have been so physically resistant.

It's an utterly stupid thing to be arresting someone for. The officer's tone and choice of words makes it clear he was looking to cause problems. Besides, the street is largely empty anyhow. The professor should have been quiet and just fought it later in court, but she probably wasn't in the right frame of mind because the situation is so absurd.

PopeReal

So you are required to show ID for crossing a street in some states? Fucking crazy, but whatever.

It was a campus street, and there was construction. Big deal. Give her a warning if you have to and move on. What a fucking waste of taxpayer dollars. This cop should be fired ASAP. Even if the violence doesn't worry you, think about how much this idiot cop will cost you.

TheJLC

She's obligated to identify herself because she jaywalked?

That's straight up police state bullshit.

Yup, if you are stopped by police in the states someone mentioned above, you have to show ID when asked. Otherwise you will be arrested for "obstruction of identification" or something similar. And guess what will happen at the station? Your mugshot will be taken along with your fingerprint and run through the system. If you fingerprints were not in the system, they are now.

I don't think cops should have carte blanche to harass whoever the fuck they want (Black people and other minorities primarily). I would probably resist too.
That's the thing, you only make it worse if you resist. I don't agree with this trivial stop, but legally he can stop people for jaywalking, it's illegal. And legally she has to show ID. She refused and was arrested but resisted in the process and also attacked the cop.

She could have just gotten a fine and probably won in court. Now she has dash cam footage of her resisting and assaulting a cop.

The Adder

Banned
"Treat the cops like the T-Rex in Jurassic Park. Given the right circumstances they will deal with a more immediate threat to your well being if it benefits them to do so, but they aren't your friends and they're always a lethal threat. No quick movements. No loud noises."

gotta admit it it's kind of a strange feeling knowing I will never be arrested or merely confronted for jaywalking. I can't even relate to that concept. I don't even know what I would do.

Friend of mine got a jaywalking ticket. Only person Ive ever heard of getting one. They probably snag 1 person every 4 months to fill the quota

BSsBrolly

Banned

This

I really don't understand why people resist the way this was woman does... And then act shocked when they get taken down.

Yup, if you are stopped by police in the states someone mentioned above, you have to show ID when asked. Otherwise you will be arrested for "obstruction of identification" or something similar. And guess what will happen at the station? Your mugshot will be taken along with your fingerprint and run through the system. If you fingerprints were not in the system, they are now.

I'm assuming it's the states colored in red, right?

My prints are already in the system when I got my citizenship :p

BSsBrolly

Banned
To add, from the video, she got what she deserved IMO. You don't kick an officer. Why would anyone think this is a good idea?

She was too pissed to bend and show him her id, lol.

I hope she gets off Scott free. Honestly he should have left her alone. Jaywalking just before a street closed to construction? Why bother anyone?

Zaptruder

Banned
To add, from the video, she got what she deserved IMO. You don't kick an officer. Why would anyone think this is a good idea?

Because people strongly and naturally act strongly against feelings of injustice with anger.

Should citizens submit to all positions of authority irrespective of the validity of the authority?

Citizens should be empowered to resist unjust authoritarian actions - if only so that authority is motivated to ensure some degree of empathic fairness for the people that they're put in charge over.

In a state where the balance of 'law' has shifted entirely over to authority with no recourse for the citizenry, then it's not at all an exaggeration to say that we live in a police state.

Why is it bad to live in a police state? because then the people that enforce the laws have no accountability for their own actions - and thus becomes a very easily exploitable area of society for amoral, power hungry and corrupt individuals.

Jaywalking is one of those laws that in practice grant far too much power to the police - given the frequency with which it occurs and the level of danger the typical incidence of jaywalking poses (very little). The essence of the law exists to stop frequent and untenable disruptions in traffic and risk to life - but when applied without consideration for context can be rightfully seen as a tool of oppression.

To be honest, I don't get why she didn't just show her ID to the officer, then try to talk things out. Seems like she just made the situation worse for herself. Do I think the officer was justified in using force? Of course not, but I don't see why she had to make his job any tougher. Also, campus cops are almost always overzealous. I'm a white dude and I've gotten stopped multiple times by them for stupid shit. Guy probably just stopped her in the first place because he was bored.

TxdoHawk

Friend of mine got a jaywalking ticket. Only person Ive ever heard of getting one. They probably snag 1 person every 4 months to fill the quota

It's a nice easy quota filler in some cities. Cops will show up on a street, tag a bunch of people with tickets who aren't expecting it, then stay away long enough that everyone goes back to jaywalking in that area so they can repeat the process.

Sophia

To be honest, I don't get why she didn't just show her ID to the officer, then try to talk things out. Seems like she just made the situation worse for herself. Do I think the officer was justified in using force? Of course not, but I don't see why she had to make his job any tougher. Also, campus cops are almost always overzealous. I'm a white dude and I've gotten stopped multiple times by them for stupid shit. Guy probably just stopped her in the first place because he was bored.

Remember, she probably was not thinking rationally. As Opiate noted above, Jaywalking is the kind of crime you generally only enforce if it's egregious. As she herself noted, everyone else was doing it too. And the officer was absolutely looking to cause problems. It's easy to say "Well, I don't get why they didn't just do <x> or <y>", when you're not caught up in the heat of the moment.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Because people strongly and naturally act strongly against feelings of injustice with anger.

Should citizens submit to all positions of authority irrespective of the validity of the authority?

Citizens should be empowered to resist unjust authoritarian actions - if only so that authority is motivated to ensure some degree of empathic fairness for the people that they're put in charge over.

In a state where the balance of 'law' has shifted entirely over to authority with no recourse for the citizenry, then it's not at all an exaggeration to say that we live in a police state.

Why is it bad to live in a police state? because then the people that enforce the laws have no accountability for their own actions - and thus becomes a very easily exploitable area of society for amoral, power hungry and corrupt individuals.

Jaywalking is one of those laws that in practice grant far too much power to the police - given the frequency with which it occurs and the level of danger the typical incidence of jaywalking poses (very little). The essence of the law exists to stop frequent and untenable disruptions in traffic and risk to life - but when applied without consideration for context can be rightfully seen as a tool of oppression.
You're not gonna win that fight by kicking an officer, Zaptruder. She should have just cooperated and lawyered up. It's a whole lot easier to win a suit against discriminatory policing when you're not fighting and hollering on tape.

I'm more disappointed by the pathetic response from the university. An institution of higher knowledge shouldn't be so quick to look at laws in such a black and white fashion.

ASU essentially said, "Yeah, this is alright."

Remember, she probably was not thinking rationally. As Opiate noted above, Jaywalking is the kind of crime you generally only enforce if it's egregious. As she herself noted, everyone else was doing it too. And the officer was absolutely looking to cause problems. It's easy to say "Well, I don't get why they didn't just do <x> or <y>", when you're not caught up in the heat of the moment.

True enough; it is stupid he stopped her in the first place, and I'd definitely be upset as well. I'm just saying it doesn't seem like she was doing much to ease the situation, though I'm not sure if that's really her responsibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom