• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atlantic Hurricane season 2017 |OT|

06Z GFS

KkGlGZ8.gif
next week in CT ugh

Griss

Power and wifi up for me at my office now. Semblance of normality may return now that I have a cool place to work and browse the internet again. Just over one week since the storm hit - it has been a wild week.

Let's hope we don't have any further hurricanes this year, we couldn't take even a category 1 right now. I'm looking at these disturbances off of Africa right now with a blinding hatred. Piss off, tropical depression fourteen!

We've had so many people fly into the island to help us it's unreal though. 80+ engineers for the power grid (most of the island is still without power and will be for some time), 10 UN humanitarian assessors, Red Cross personnel, special forces from the UK to control crime etc.

Problem is now that the adrenaline of the storm has passed and people are just hot, bored, poor and upset. Still, we've just got to stick with it. Also, the stress and work and hanging out in sweat-soaked clothes have led me to develop a cold so the last two days I've felt like shit. I also lacerated my heel while removing rotting carpet from a friend's place so I'm hobbling around the place.

Unfortunately as I wasn't able to be online I wasn't able to follow Irma hitting the US. I understand you dodged the worst of it? But lots of people are apparently without power. Can't understand how such a major nation could have such a poor power grid but I hope you're all back online sooner rather than later.

EDIT:
It's crazy that Jose is back in play for you guys.

It's also crazy that my first post regarding Irma in this thread was August 31st. It has dominated two weeks of my life now. Also crazy just how accurate that initial path prediction was.

MrJames

TD15 is born and not on a very good track. Long range models have it tracking toward the US coast with landfalls between Florida and the Carolinas.

967CNTk.png

Uhm is there any precendent for potentially four hurricanes hitting with major landfall in the span of a month?

September is the peak of hurricane season so I'd think not really. It's just if the US lucks out on not being hit and thats out of everyone's hands.

I honestly seem to recall very active hurricane seasons in the late 80's and 90's. Sure the size of the storms seem bigger but they did insane amounts of damage back then as well. Who's to say a small compact storm can't do more damage with the same windspeed as a massive spread out storm. I'd think the shape of a smaller compact storm has more intensity overall since there is less gaps/bands. I'm curious if there is research on this?

Outside of the size and better preparedness I don't see much being different now. You don't want in the path of them then or now. It's all around timing and what other weather systems are in the area controlling the path.

cntr

Banned
I think the damage of a hurricane mostly depends on how prepared the region is to take it. There've been "tropical storms"' that've killed hundreds of people.

Kusagari

I think the damage of a hurricane mostly depends on how prepared the region is to take it. There've been "tropical storms"' that've killed hundreds of people.

A lot of those are in poor countries where mudslides and the like kill hundreds. You're likely never going to see a storm cause deaths like that in America in this day and age.

But the damage in terms of economic from Harvey/Irma is already coming close to what we saw in 2005. Another major hurricane hitting the US and 2017 very likely will top 2005 in terms of cost.

cntr

Banned
A lot of those are in poor countries where mudslides and the like kill hundreds. You're likely never going to see a storm cause deaths like that in America in this day and age.

But the damage in terms of economic from Harvey/Irma is already coming close to what we saw in 2005. Another major hurricane hitting the US and 2017 very likely will top 2005 in terms of cost.
Yeah, but afaik, most of the damage from Harvey and Irma comes from people building stuff without thinking about hurricanes. Tampa, for example.

...that's probably going to change after this year.

Yeah, but afaik, most of the damage from Harvey and Irma comes from people building stuff without thinking about hurricanes. Tampa, for example.

...that's probably going to change after this year.

You say that but a lot of houses still sit on low lying sandbars along the jersey shore. All insurance agencies did was demand they raise foundation a minimum of 8 feet.

Griss

TD15 is born and not on a very good track. Long range models have it tracking toward the US coast with landfalls between Florida and the Carolinas.

967CNTk.png

If this comes our way it's quite possible that we'd be hit before half of the island has power restored and while 30% of people (or more) are still fixing their roofs.

We would have absolutely no way to prepare for this, it's the rain that would get us. That said it's too far away to worry about for now, and puerto rico could kill it if it's small. But man, please no more of this...

Damn, what are the chances of tropical depression 15 turning into a hurricane? Going straight through the already fucked up leeward islands and Puerto Rico.

geomon

Damn, what are the chances of tropical depression 15 turning into a hurricane? Going straight through the already fucked up leeward islands and Puerto Rico.

From Weather Underground:

On Saturday morning, our top intensity models—the HWRF, COAMPS-TC, DSHIPS, LGEM, and HMON—all predicted steady intensification of TD 15 into a hurricane by Tuesday, when the storm is expected to be moving through the Lesser Antilles. Further strengthening is likely through Thursday, until TD 15 potentially gets disrupted by passage over Puerto Rico and/or Hispaniola. Note that the official NHC forecast of a Category 1 hurricane on Tuesday and Wednesday is conservative; the 12Z Saturday runs of the HWRF and HMON models show TD 15 attaining Category 3 hurricane status by Tuesday afternoon. That may be too aggressive, but I would not be surprised to see TD 15 become a major hurricane by Wednesday, given how Hurricane Irma exploded into a major hurricane under similar conditions and in a similar location. The next name on the list of Atlantic storms is Maria.

Rigbones

Neo Member
So here we go again. Hurricane watches for the Leeward islands. Most recent official NHC forecast also has Maria hitting PR as a major Cat 3 hurricane. People there need to watch and listen to the NHC closely.

204552_5day_cone_no_line_and_wind.png

pestul

It's still early, but that track is awful.. and most of the models are in agreement. At least the following storm appears to have a northward curve.

KillGore

RIP PR

I'll always remember you, GAF.

Hug me, Relix!

Edit: Funny how we currently have Hurricane Jose and Tropical Storm Maria out at the same time. You know, Joseph and Maria? from the Bible lol

September is the peak of hurricane season so I'd think not really. It's just if the US lucks out on not being hit and thats out of everyone's hands.

I honestly seem to recall very active hurricane seasons in the late 80's and 90's. Sure the size of the storms seem bigger but they did insane amounts of damage back then as well. Who's to say a small compact storm can't do more damage with the same windspeed as a massive spread out storm. I'd think the shape of a smaller compact storm has more intensity overall since there is less gaps/bands. I'm curious if there is research on this?

Outside of the size and better preparedness I don't see much being different now. You don't want in the path of them then or now. It's all around timing and what other weather systems are in the area controlling the path.
andrew sort of follows your theory though Irma was the acception. Andrew was a small compact storm that packed an amazing punch.

Mully

I've never been sold on Jose hitting the East Coast. The upper levels never looked good enough to force the storm back west or due north.

Maria and depression 15 look interesting in the future for the East Coast. The 500mb looks packed, but all of that is 10 days away.

I advise for those on the coasts to keep an eye on the track.

Mully

Local news here in Boston going apeshit over Jose....

Come on, son... At WORST it's going to be a weak Cat 1 here.

It likely won't be anything.

If anything it'll be a Montauk and Nantucket special with some high winds and light rain for Boston and NY.

Linkura

It likely won't be anything.

If anything it'll be a Montauk and Nantucket special with some high winds and light rain for Boston and NY.

Yup. Note I said literally worst case scenario it'd be a weak Cat 1, but most likely won't be shit.

And yet of course the local news is STILL acting like we're totally fucked.

Hex

Banned
So here we go again. Hurricane watches for the Leeward islands. Most recent official NHC forecast also has Maria hitting PR as a major Cat 3 hurricane. People there need to watch and listen to the NHC closely.

204552_5day_cone_no_line_and_wind.png

Went two and a half days without power, a week without cable/internet/cel service...friends of mine are still without power.
Would prefer to not deal with it again for a while, just saying...

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Oh shit. Relix be safe!

Fuck. I coasted Irma in the NW side of the island just chilled outside while watching the tropical storm winds roar, close to hurricane I am guessing, but this one could exit right over where I live. Eek.

RIP PR

I'll always remember you, GAF.

Hug me, Relix!

Edit: Funny how we currently have Hurricane Jose and Tropical Storm Maria out at the same time. You know, Joseph and Maria? from the Bible lol
Hahaha. Oh God I hadn't seen a straight line to PR in years. And from a major! I love hurricanes but Irma was enough for one season, I don't want a landfalling major. Hell there are still people with no power in the island. Next year I am making the damn hurricane season thread again, just in case not making it this year caused the weather to unbalance. :p

Mindlog

Have some family that just got power back in PR and other islands in the area have been hit far worse. Really hoping this storm fucks right off.

Tubie

And PR is still taking refugees from the smaller islands too.

This storm will be a massive disaster if the projections don't change radically.

I'm hoping for some surprise crazy wind shear to come and tear it appart before it gets closer to the islands.

Culex

Banned
Supposed to fly from Boston to NYC on Wednesday night, what's the likelihood of being affected?

Latest guidance I saw from 2 hours ago now has this barely impacting the upper Cape, so i doubt Boston will feel anything. NYC is not even going to get clouds.

Vestal

Gold Member
NWS Discussion..

Area Forecast Discussion...UPDATED
National Weather Service San Juan PR
720 PM AST Sat Sep 16 2017

LONG TERM...Tuesday through Friday...
Almost all weather conditions on Tuesday will begin to be
dominated by the approach of then Hurricane Maria. Showers will
begin to increase over the U.S. Virgin Islands, and on the
windward side of Puerto Rico, (northeast, east and southeast).
Currently the confidence is increasing that Hurricane Maria will
pass near to Saint Croix and over Vieques and over the northeast
half of Puerto Rico. Wednesday and Wednesday night. Hurricane
force winds will likely still be over the local waters northwest
of Puerto Rico on Thursday. Bands from Hurricane Maria will pass
over Puerto Rico on Thursday night and Friday with more rain.
Tropical moisture is expected to follow the hurricane over the
following weekend with more heavy rains.

Impacts from the passage of this system will be as serious or more
serious than any system that has passed in the last 15 years if
the track continues as published by the National Hurricane Center.

This would include life threatening winds, flooding and mudslides
and storm surge on the eastern . Danger from falling trees and
powerlines will begin even before the hurricane force winds and
rain.

FUCK THE BOLDED

Top Bottom