• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atlantic Hurricane season 2017 |OT|

sensi97

That's really bad. Dominica is going to get hit really hard in the next hour.
HdIJlIC.gif

Martinique here (just south of Dominica). Shit is getting real.

What is incredible is how fast this went from Cat 1 to Cat 4 right now.

The worse should be in a few hours, and we're lucky we will likely not in the eye trajectory...

Best of luck to you and everyone else on the islands.

My wife and I are visiting Martinique in November. Or at least, were planning on visiting. It looks like you guys will miss the worst of the storm though.

Edit: it’s crazy how comparatively small this storm is, especially after Irma, considering how strong the winds are.

Vuapol

950 mb to 929 mb in three hours.

Rapid intensification is defined as a 1.5 mb drop per hour.

Maria dropped 7 mb per hour.

Holy shit.

Sigh, this is gonna be bad. My dad is already losing his mind and I'm trying my best to tell him we're gonna be fine but this doesn't help at all. He's worried our windows won't hold(they are Miami styled windows) but I know that those windows are made for that. I know that nothing will happen to our house since we live on the second of three floors in a small apartment complex. We also have big condos on both sides and on the back, and since our apartment is on the back side we aren't exposed at the front. It's also made of cement, so in that case we're fine, but my father is hard to convince and he wants to go to a refuge.

rucury

Banned
If you're in Puerto Rico and able to get out... that's not the worst idea.

I'm pretty sure every single flight is sold out now. We don't got no highway to the USA (yet, our pro-statehood government will surely pitch that at some point)

Sigh, this is gonna be bad. My dad is already losing his mind and I'm trying my best to tell him we're gonna be fine but this doesn't help at all. He's worried our windows won't hold(they are Miami styled windows) but I know that those windows are made for that. I know that nothing will happen to our house since we live on the second of three floors in a small apartment complex. We also have big condos on both sides and on the back, and since our apartment is on the back side we aren't exposed at the front. It's also made of cement, so in that case we're fine, but my father is hard to convince and he wants to go to a refuge.

Miami styled windows may be a puerto rican thing, I'm not sure there called the same in the states. Yes those windows are built to withstand hurricanes.

Man the Atlantic side can't catch a break. Who knows if this gets into the Gulf or hits Florida again.
I mean, chances aren't zero, but that seems extremely unlikely right now. There hasn't been a model for days that wasn't 250+ miles from Florida.
Okay, so I probably shouldn't chuckle, but this gif is perfect.
Was that 27 hours from Tropical Storm to cat 5?
11pm advisory yesterday was 85mph... the 11am was still 65, so 30-36 hours, which is of course still ridiculous.

Obviously I don't know shit, but if it builds up that fast does it indicate that it will fall apart fast?
Rapid weakening is a thing that happens in the eastern Pacific sometimes. Hurricane Otis the past day, actually! 50>115>45 in 36 hours! Not as common in the Atlantic, and this storm specifically doesn't seem to show any signs it would weaken below a major hurricane for 3+ days, sorry.

Africanus

María María
She reminds me of a West Path Story

I hope that Fujiwara dance is right. Better a Cat 1 hits than a Cat 4-5.
That being said, I wish the best to the territory of Puerto Rico, as well as the other countries in Maria's path.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
I'm bit scared I know my house will hold and we are safe. My fears extend to how it'll be on the island post-Maria. Whats certain that after Tuesday I won't wake up to the same island I know and love.

III-V

I'm bit scared I know my house will hold and we are safe. My fears extend to how it'll be on the island post-Maria. Whats certain that after Tuesday I won't wake up to the same island I know and love.
Stay safe. And it's not just during the storm. Most deaths and injuries happen after the storm.

vonStirlitz

Unconfirmed Member
I bet 200mph winds will be a thing before the morning. Puerto Rico is fucked. We won't have power until 2018 at least.
Man, I really feel bad for PR. You guys really helped out the BVI when it got blasted, and now you are getting this head on.

And to get this again in the Virgin Islands, just as life was getting back to normal, is awful. Major depression today.

Top Bottom